Gailey's final message to Maybin

gobills28

He was a one-year-wonder at Penn State. The first thing Nix said when he took the GM job is that you don't draft guys like that with a #1 pick.

Found this little tidbit that speaks volumes:

"Opportunity seemed to be the issue as well for Penn State’s Aaron Maybin. Maybin’s 2008 season was so big he chose to enter the draft as a third-year sophomore. But he only got on the field as a full-time starter two weeks into the season after teammate Maurice Evans was suspended.

Maybin was a beast with 49 tackles, 20 of which went for loss, 12 sacks and three forced fumbles. Prior to that however, Maybin had only recorded defensive stats in nine games. Nevertheless he’s considered a first round pick that could find his way into the top 10."

The rest of the article is here: http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/16/726131/olb-aaron-maybin-penn-stat

There's been a lot of guys who project into that hybrid DE/LB position and many of them don't succeed. I think the Broncos have been bitten a few times by this type of player. Jarvis Moss ring a bell?

Edited by DanInSouthBuffalo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He was a one-year-wonder at Penn State. The first thing Nix said when he took the GM job is that you don't draft guys like that with a #1 pick.

When Nix made those comments I took it as a direct indictment of Maybin, and maybe a sign he wasn't in their future plans if he didn't make a huge leap. Like I said, I'm not optimistic.

Found this little tidbit that speaks volumes:

"Opportunity seemed to be the issue as well for Penn State’s Aaron Maybin. Maybin’s 2008 season was so big he chose to enter the draft as a third-year sophomore. But he only got on the field as a full-time starter two weeks into the season after teammate Maurice Evans was suspended.

Maybin was a beast with 49 tackles, 20 of which went for loss, 12 sacks and three forced fumbles. Prior to that however, Maybin had only recorded defensive stats in nine games. Nevertheless he’s considered a first round pick that could find his way into the top 10."

The rest of the article is here: http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/1/16/726131/olb-aaron-maybin-penn-stat

There's been a lot of guys who project into that hybrid DE/LB position and many of them don't succeed. I think the Broncos have been bitten a few times by this type of player. Jarvis Moss ring a bell?

Well Maybin owes his millions to guys like Kiper and McShay who slobber over these guys like Maybin without looking at their total body of work. And why not? It's not like Kiper or McShay get fired if they are wrong.

PTR

The money they paid Maybin could have gone to fill so many holes in the team. If somebody embezzled that much money in the front office you'd be pissed. This is the problem with Twitter, people start defending sucky players because they told you where they went to dinner and other personal details and you're "friends" with them

I bet maybin could cover the tight end better then what our safeties did sunday. How does Todd Heap catch those two td's right in the middle of the field and nobody touched him, nobody put a hit on him. Its a good thing somebody got him with the voodoo doll pin attack or he might of got two more.

Poz cant cover the TE, Donte can't. and Kelsay shouldn't be in coverage at all. The seasons toast, play Aaron mayhem Maybin. And blitz him.

I bet maybin could cover the tight end better then what our safeties did sunday. How does Todd Heap catch those two td's right in the middle of the field and nobody touched him, nobody put a hit on him. Its a good thing somebody got him with the voodoo doll pin attack or he might of got two more.

Poz cant cover the TE, Donte can't. and Kelsay shouldn't be in coverage at all. The seasons toast, play Aaron mayhem Maybin. And blitz him.

What makes you think this is possible?

Same stuff that made Pat McAfee think it was a good idea to swim in a canal and tell the cops he was wet because it was raining. In Argentina.

At this point, even Aaron Maybin's mother would need something a little stronger than 0.15 blood alcohol content to come to that conclusion. :ph34r:

He gets crapped on quite a bit, but it wasn't like he was a total reach at 11th overall. He would have gone in the first round for sure if the Bills didn't take him, which tells you that there is something there. His problem is the same problem the Bills have had for years (the biggest organizational problem in fact) and the reason why they have sucked for so long: PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

There's no way that Kelsay should be playing ahead of him only because I can't see anyone looking as putrid as he has this year. I've never seen someone so utterly inept and I've been watching football for a while. I think Ralph Wilson could do a better job at OLB than Kelsay. Give Maybin some playing time and see what he can do. Just let him run wild out there and see if something sticks. You're 0-6 and going nowhere. The alternative is essentially playing 10 on 11 with the 6m dollar man playing like he shat his pants on every play.

Poz and Kelsay are always ten yard behind their man in coverage, chasing him into the endzone. Maybins got some speed. That wicked first step. He needs gametime, and he made plays in the preseason.

Whitner has the speed to cover WRs and TEs yet he's repeatedly burned. Considering Whitner has been trained as a DB and he has no coverage skills, I think it's highly unlikely that Maybin, et cetera, et cetera.

Edited by Punch

I do not get why Maybin is the whipping boy in so many threads. It's old. Maybin is trying, he has a positive attitude, he is young, there is nothing but upside to him. None of us know how far it will go, if and when he earns his chance.

Why is no one talking about Youboty? I really never understand the logic here!

The reason is very simple to understand. Maybin was the 11th overall pick in 2009. We passed up players like Orakpo to draft him.

Expectations were high, and frustrations are correspondingly high.

Youboty was the 70th pick in 2006.

Fans want some production in the 3rd round, it's not as frustrating as a bust in the 1st (Whitner instead of Ngata)

My assessment of Maybin a la Don Henley: "how bad do you want it? not bad enough"

I think he might have gotten somewhere if he started with a good team that had a winning attitude.

He has a year of Jauronization to recover from.

Edited by Hopeful

The reason is very simple to understand. Maybin was the 11th overall pick in 2009. We passed up players like Ngata to draft him.

Expectations were high, and frustrations are correspondingly high.

Youboty was the 70th pick in 2006.

Fans want some production in the 3rd round, it's not as frustrating as a bust in the 1st.

My assessment of Maybin a la Don Henley: "how bad do you want it? not bad enough"

I think he might have gotten somewhere if he started with a good team that had a winning attitude.

He has a year of Jauronization to recover from.

We passed on Ngata for Whitner... for Maybin, we passed on the lieks of Orakpo, Oher, Matthews, Cushing, et al.

Thanks, yeah, I caught that .... I just ended work, tired, sorry.

Same tune, different names, it's all blending into a blur

I wish I could trust it will be different now.

Ain't that the sad truth? Hopefully, those days are behind us.

Being a Bills fan really does sound like being in an abusive relationship! :bag:

I had hoped, in a rebuilding year like this, that Maybin would just be left out there to learn. He couldn't be that much worse than the low grade OLBs they're already lining up week to week. But, maybe there's no amount of learning that can help in his case. Sometimes the game needs to slow down for guys, and sometimes it's something they really can't learn. FWIW, I think Stevie Johnson just never got his chance under Jauron. If they didn't draft Hardy in '08 or bring in TO last year I think he might've already gotten his chance.

BUT, Maybin is young enough that, had he stayed in college, he'd only be a senior this year. And men are still adding bulk at his age--- so, it's possible it'll click for him, but I'm not optimistic.

Trent Edwards.

Trent Edwards.

Are you saying Edwards was responsible for him not getting on the field or just that Trent couldn't make him look good enough to justify his presence as a regular? Either way, I lump Stevie in with Fred Jackson and Jabari Greer before him: quality guys that astute fans were clamoring for which were nonetheless summarily ignored by Jauron and company until injuries struck or it was obvious they deserve a shot.

Why is maybin a bad football player? Because he just is. Not everyone is a good football player. 6 foot 4, 220 lbs (realistic, not this mythical 250), quick, not overly athletic by NFL standards, and bad at football. That’s just what he is. Maybin is a bad football player the same way Jim Leonard is a good one. Leonard is not big enough fast enough or strong enough, yet he is very good. Usain Bolt is 6’5’’ and literally the fastest man in the history of the world – yet I bet he would suck at football. You cannot quantify it, but you sure can see it. Maybin sucks, he sucked in college, it was painfully obvious that he did, and he continues to suck in the NFL. The sooner the Bills dump this chump the better IMO. Addition by subtraction. (I mean, didn’t anyone notice how much better Moats was in there?)

PS – I believe the Bills will be releasing Maybin to add Merriman to the roster

:thumbsup: