The Fitzpatrick thread you knew was coming.

Van_phelaN1

3 teams in 5 years. What exactly do you think a journeyman is? Someone old? Doesn't have to be.

That said, hats off for Fitz for giving us some great entertainment, but he's not a long-term answer. He's the epitome of all the bills 7-9 and 8-8 seasons. Myself, I think we need to try something new.

I guess, I just see a 27 year old guy that has never had a legitimate shot as a teams full time starter a little different but it is true that he has been in the league for 5 years so your point is well taken.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, FIRST let me say that I was a supporter of Trent Edwards when he first came along here and Buffalo and probably defended him way longer than I should have.

ALSO I have been known to say that Fitz doesn't have the same upside as a guy like Brohm does.

Now that we have that out of the way.

I was downright blown away with Fitzy yesterday. I don't know when the last time I saw someone command our offense the way he did. I admire his gunslinger attitude and his willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

Did he win? No, and he also threw some very bad pics. However if you look at it the other way, that pass to Lee Evans was a VERY ill advised throw. I think Chan is starting to like the guy a lot.

I guess my question is, if he can continue to perform like this (as well as the receivers) what shot do you give Fitzpatrick of convincing Chan he is the guy of the future? All I can say is I will never have to worry about calling him Captain Checkdown. :thumbsup:

We're 6 games in and winless. That being said , if Fitz continues his aerial assault the rest of the year , he is our man in 2011 and the priorities shift from drafting QB to improving the defense. Fitz this year , has been all that you want out of a QB. He makes the tight throws , quick decisions , has a good pocket presence, and is piling up points on the board. Not to mention , he just shredded what some believe is a top 5 defense.

Fitz has been our bright spot this year , and who knows , if we had a defense , we could be 4-2 or at the worst .500. He's only 27 and if you take into consideration the maturation time-frame of a young QB , he is right on track with the Aaron Rogers, Mannings, and Rivers of the world (Considering his playing time has increased). Two semi-seasons of continued improvement only makes the future that much more interesting for the Bills and Fitzpatrick.

Edited by stevecana

Fitzpatrick is an average to below-average quarterback in the NFL as evidenced by his body of work throughout his journeyman career. He is a great teammate, and tries real hard and I think he should have a roster spot on this team moving forward.

If the Bills are serious about competing for championships instead of rebuilding back to 7-9, they need to do everything they can to acquire an elite-level franchise quarterback. I believe their best chance to do this will be to use their #1 overall draft selection. I hope that rookie quarterback can mentor behind Fitzpatrick until he is ready to play, and I hope we bolster our defensive front seven and offensive line in the interim.

Viola, a shot at being a decade-long playoff contender again.

BS Fitzpatrick may end up imploding, but it sure doesn't look like that is going to happen.

He is the #1 rated quarterback in the NFL the last 6-7 games. If he keeps this up much longer the Bills will have one less need, which is a great thing for a rebuilding team, will help them rebound more quickly. The fact that it is at the quarterback position makes it all the more significant.

Fitz looks great. No wonder this team wanted him as the quarterback and not Edwards. I thought Edwards was better, but I was wrong. He looks better each week, improving in dramatic ways as he plays more.

He is not average, if the last month means anything.

I'll put it this way...I am perfectly happy with the idea of Fitz leading us through the rest of this season (hopefully picking up a couple wins in the process), drafting our QB of the future in the next draft, having that QB sit behind Fitz for the next season and learn. If Fitz is truly becoming a Franchise QB (which I doubt, but it's possible), then we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But for now, I'm just fine with the thought that he's our starting QB for the next 1.5 seasons.

Agree, if the legitimate QB is there with our first pick to select and develop, go for it, and let Fitz start for the next 1 1/2 or however long. If it appears no one of value is there at QB, don't force the pick a la Whitner, or whiff completely, like Maybin. We need sure fire talent since the front office hasn't been doing a very good job drafting it, at re-signing good players, or bringing in free-agents of value.

We have two find out to things about Fitz before we can consider him our QB and only one will be found out this season.

1. can he be consistent at this high level

2. can he play when there is a lot on the line we are going to have to wait a while to find that out.

Fitzpatrick is an average to below-average quarterback in the NFL as evidenced by his body of work throughout his journeyman career. He is a great teammate, and tries real hard and I think he should have a roster spot on this team moving forward.

If the Bills are serious about competing for championships instead of rebuilding back to 7-9, they need to do everything they can to acquire an elite-level franchise quarterback. I believe their best chance to do this will be to use their #1 overall draft selection. I hope that rookie quarterback can mentor behind Fitzpatrick until he is ready to play, and I hope we bolster our defensive front seven and offensive line in the interim.

in general your only as good as the players around you, and having a coach who knows how to use those players. Fitz has never had that til now. Is he in the same talent neighborhood as Mike Tomczak or Jay Fieldler ? I'd say so- Gailey has won with them and can with Fitzpatrick as well. Fitz is 28 not 38 he can be this teams quarterback for the next 2-3-7-8 years if continues to play this well. Sure the easy thing to do is draft a wild card and hope after a couple years maybe if we are lucky he might someday play as well as Fitzpatrick is now. I have no objections to drafting a QB but I would rather we took a better defensive player on the line or even LB

Edited by CardinalScotts

To all of you complete buffoons (sp?) who have ascertained that Fitzpatrick is in fact not a starting caliber NFL QB or an "average to below average NFL QB," I suggest you go to nfl.com, click on stats and then league leaders and then click on passer rating and observe the one name ahead of him. I think you may have heard of the guy, his name is Peyton Manning. I'm not saying HE IS the answer, I'm just saying to state that you're certain he's not is completely absurd. Why? Because he went to Harvard? Because he was a late round pick? Because he has a big head? Because he wasn't a handsome first round pick from USC or Miami who surfs and wears sunglasses? Franchise QB's come in all shapes and sizes and come from any direction, don't pre-judge, give him a chance...

Okay, FIRST let me say that I was a supporter of Trent Edwards when he first came along here and Buffalo and probably defended him way longer than I should have.

ALSO I have been known to say that Fitz doesn't have the same upside as a guy like Brohm does.

I was downright blown away with Fitzy yesterday. I don't know when the last time I saw someone command our offense the way he did. I admire his gunslinger attitude and his willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

Did he win? No, and he also threw some very bad pics. However if you look at it the other way, that pass to Lee Evans was a VERY ill advised throw. I think Chan is starting to like the guy a lot.

I guess my question is, if he can continue to perform like this (as well as the receivers) what shot do you give Fitzpatrick of convincing Chan he is the guy of the future? All I can say is I will never have to worry about calling him Captain Checkdown. :thumbsup:

Based upon his comments in the post game, I think Chan is sold.

WHATEVER body of work???? what body he was never given a fair shot unlike losers like edwards and losman who were handed the reigns, also u sound like all the losers who said fluite was not the answer, he could have been if given a fair shot but losers who dont know what theyre talking about sent him packing to canada, last time i checked he took us to the playoffs twice and would have been more if not for losers choosing johnson over him

The entire reason the Bills are struggling, the QB is not allowed to get comfortable under center. I am a Brohm fan, but Fitz is doing really well....give him time and quit calling for him to come out. No one is going to lead this team better than Fitz. Again, too many Bills fans are looking for Jim Kelly to take snaps......NOT HAPPENING. You have a QB that is performing VERY well. Chill out.

Ofcourse we knew the thread was coming but it's way to early for it.

I have liked Fitz since the Jags game last year. He has got it...whatever it is. He leads the team and it is clear that the WR's trust in him and the Oline believes in him.

Is he a franchise QB?? Maybe not but he sure lit up a pretty damn good D Sunday. Lets wait until the end of the season then we can take it from there.

If continues to play like this and clean up the turnovers a bit he will be a no brainer. However it is still early and we will need a whole season to know for for sure. I believe he will continue to improve because that's all he has done since he has been here, which is a tribute to his high intelligence, you don't graduate from Harvard being a dummy. My only knock on him is overall strength as it is clear he doesn't lift weights. If he added basic strength lifts to his training along with bent arm dumbbell pullovers which mimics the throwing motion he would be able to really fire it in there and be more of a gunslinger with less turnovers.

Fitz is by far not below average as a BACKUP. People here should remember a guy named Frank Reich. He has the best comebacks of both college and in the NFL, but he was a full time back up and he knew it. Fitz is the same way. The Bills will go get a qb of the future next year, but keep Fitz in because he wont lose a game, but wont be able to win week in week out either. He will keep the Bills in games that's it. That is not below average by any means. He knows he's not a top caliber qb, but a career back up. To even be in the NFL is an honor, and to play is even more. Fitz is happy knowing he's a reliable player on a team that when called upon, he will be there. That is exactly what the Bills need as well seeing the line is questionable. Future qb of the Bills, uhhh NO! Great back up,uhhh Yes.