How many games are the Bills going to allow DC George Edwards to cost

Big Turk

Edwards is in way over his head here...this defense doesn't have great players on it, but it certainly has better players than to be worst in the NFL, it is basically the same defense as last year and has gotten much worse both against the pass(it was excellent last year) and the run(worse than last year). How long are they gonna allow this crap DC to cost them games? 5 games allowing 30+ points in a row? That is a joke...no defense in the NFL in this league is that bad, and this one shouldn't be either. If Fewell was here as DC like last year, we would have at least 2 wins right now. Offense is putting up points, but the defense allows every possession to result in a TD or FG by the opposing team and barely even forces them into 3rd down situations, allowing 9-10 yards a run most times or receivers to be wide open all game. Give me break, I can't take having this guy turning our D from a slightly below average one into by far the worst in the NFL. They had a ballhawking secondary last year, now they can't even get in the TV screen when a receiver makes a catch...

Dude is just horrible and needs to go ASAP...should leave him in Baltimore and tell him to find his own way home..

Agreed. Chan realized his mistake and benched Trent. Now he needs to accept that he made a mistake with Edwards. Fire the guy and promote anyone to be DC. It absolutely can't get worse. The players are out of position, the wrong defenses are being called, absolutely no adjustments. That's all bad coaching.

Coaching won't stop opposing players from literally pushing our guys aside like rag dolls on run plays, but a new DC is a need.

Oh, they would still get shoved around, but at least they would be in position when they are getting shoved around to limit the yardage on the play..now it basically is call any play you want and get a first down. I am willing to bet, Bills will force the fewest punts per game in their franchise history this year...

How do you take a ballhawking secondary ranked in the top 5 in every major passing statistic and turn it into a putrid unit not in the TV screen when receivers catch the ball?

It takes a LOT of skill to take a strength as strong as that was last year and turn it into a weakness...

Agreed. Chan realized his mistake and benched Trent. Now he needs to accept that he made a mistake with Edwards. Fire the guy and promote anyone to be DC. It absolutely can't get worse. The players are out of position, the wrong defenses are being called, absolutely no adjustments. That's all bad coaching.

I had a feeling about this when someone posted that the players were deferring to Andra Davis with 3-4 ?s. It gave me the same gut feeling as when I heard Turk was getting booted a wk before the season, and when ca. 2004 I heard Ralph was unaware that the Bills had the lowest paid coaching staff in the league.

The good news is, I think the talents there (save for a pass rusher) for a quick turnaround on the defensive side if we get a DC who can find his ass with both hands.

The Bills might well be able to hire John Fox as a DC this winter. And if Mike Holmgren cleans house in Cleveland (today notwithstanding) Mangini and Rob Ryan would be available. And there's always the imminently-fired Wade Phillips.

As much as I hate Wade for benching his starting QB in the playoffs :wallbash: stupid :wallbash: stupid :wallbash: stupid, the guy knows how to run a 3-4, and the amt of pride he'd have to swallow to come back to Buffalo as a coordinator under Chan, I think would be enough that I could forgive him.

Oh, and speaking of DCs - there's a reasonable chance that Marvin Lewis gets canned at the end of the season. He's run some really bad defenses in Cincinnati, but he certainly has had some success. And his DC is Mike Zimmer, who worked with Chan in Dallas. Should he be available, I'd say the smart money is that Zimmer is our DC next year.

I frankly am not understanding the constant looking over of Carrington the DE...

That kid is a beast against the run. I am saying it right here right now I think he is better then Marcus Stroud as a DE.....

Inactive this week.....and the Maybin thing is just a travesty how bad that kid is....oh my god.

I agree with you, at least make the guy active. I think the reason he's not seeing the field that because they're trying with a heavy rotation, they see Spencer Johnson as the guy with more chances to rush the passer as an end on that base defense.

At times Williams and Dwan Edwards would line up as DTs with Stroud at LDE and Sp. Johnson as RDE.

I hate injuries but it will be interesting to see what's the status with Stroud's injury.

The Bills might well be able to hire John Fox as a DC this winter. And if Mike Holmgren cleans house in Cleveland (today notwithstanding) Mangini and Rob Ryan would be available. And there's always the imminently-fired Wade Phillips.

Hell yea, I would take any of those guys. I don't think Fox runs 34 and could be viewed as inhouse threat to Chan so probably not. Wade would be great but noway he comes back here. So That leaves us with Ryan who is just like Rex so he would be my ideal choice because that Jets/old Ravens D was awesome. We should have gone after Dave Bates if we wanted a good 34 coordinator.

Hell yea, I would take any of those guys. I don't think Fox runs 34 and could be viewed as inhouse threat to Chan so probably not. Wade would be great but noway he comes back here. So That leaves us with Ryan who is just like Rex so he would be my ideal choice because that Jets/old Ravens D was awesome. We should have gone after Dave Bates if we wanted a good 34 coordinator.

I'm not convinced that the Bills won't bail on the 3-4, depending on the talent out there this summer. We made a step in that direction last year, but it's not like we sold the farm. Troup could be a one-gap NT in a 4-3 system, with Williams next to him. Carrington would make a solid LE, and if we can grab a top DE in the draft, that's a solid 4-3 front. Kelsay could go back to his natural LE position too, spelling Carrington, and Stroud would be a rotational threat. Davis could roll outside, Poz inside, and Torbor on the other side. That's not any worse than they would be in a 3-4. Sometimes you have to cut your losses, and it's not like they cut their star 4-3 players; the only real loss was Schobel, and he retired anyway.

I agree that Edwards maybe in way over his head. However, how much does he really have to work with.

It's pretty sad that your 1st round draft pick from a year ago can't even sniff the field and Carrington has been inactive for at least 3 games.

The OL is finally starting to gel, and maybe even the strongest unit on this team right now.

I really like some of the young playmakers on offense like Steve Johnson, David Nelson, and CJ Spiller, but the Bills defense is horrible.

This team needs to use it's entire draft on the Defensive side of the ball next April.

If theres one thing I cannt STAND about Bills fans is their Chuck Dickerson-like NEED to ALWAYS have SOMEONE to have on their absolutely IRRATIONAL "hit list"...the guy that needs to be fired NOW (!!!!!!!!)...and usually goes on to success elsewhere (Gilbride, Henning, Williams ,etc etc etc). And what ALWAYS makes it going from the sublime to the ridiculous is that all these batschitt crazy calls for FIRE HIM NOW!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS come with ZERO acknowledgement given to the players and THEIR role in why the team's performing poorly.

Fox or Ryan would be awesome.

Phillips is a good DC but he will never come to Buffalo as long as Wilson is alive.

Remember that Ralph tried to not pay Wade after he fired him. The league had to step in.

He won't go until the end of the year so he still has time to show something, but he hasn't looked good so far. Coaching is critical. Look at what Gailey has done with the offense using basically the same personnel as last season. In fact, they are arguably worse personnel wise without T.O.

If theres one thing I cannt STAND about Bills fans is their Chuck Dickerson-like NEED to ALWAYS have SOMEONE to have on their absolutely IRRATIONAL "hit list"...the guy that needs to be fired NOW (!!!!!!!!)...and usually goes on to success elsewhere (Gilbride, Henning, Williams ,etc etc etc). And what ALWAYS makes it going from the sublime to the ridiculous is that all these batschitt crazy calls for FIRE HIM NOW!!!!!!!!! ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS come with ZERO acknowledgement given to the players and THEIR role in why the team's performing poorly.

I agree and I hate the reactionary position people tend to take sometimes. Unfortunately it's a premium on message boards.

Having said that, I'm not liking what Edwards is trying to do on defense, to the point I sometimes don't understand what he's trying to accomplish.

I know we don't have the ideal talent to be a shutdown defense, not even close, but this defensive roster is not 30+ ppg bad, even with a new system.

Having said that, I'm not liking what Edwards is trying to do on defense, to the point I sometimes don't understand what he's trying to accomplish.

I know we don't have the ideal talent to be a shutdown defense, not even close, but this defensive roster is not 30+ ppg bad, even with a new system.

Exactly my point...he manages to make the defense look much worse than it is, and that is an indictment of any coach..he is supposed to put them in position to be better, not worse

Edited by matter2003