Nix got one right

gjv001

The decission by Buddy Nix to pass on Jared Gaither was not popular last summer. But it sure was the correct decission. Gaither hasn't played a down this year and now has been placed on season ending IR. Now, can Buddy find some players who can play?, that remains to be seen.

The decission by Buddy Nix to pass on Jared Gaither was not popular last summer. But it sure was the correct decission. Gaither hasn't played a down this year and now has been placed on season ending IR. Now, can Buddy find some players who can play?, that remains to be seen.

Really, Cornell Green is the only player Nix has overtly whiffed at.

Assuming he was expected to start immediately, yes.

I don't know how many other Nix acquisitions have arrived under those circumstances and failed as badly as Green has/did.

Well, the draft class in its entirety isn't producing anything. Torbor just got benched.

How about the coaching decision? The staff is knocking it out of the park so far.

But why limit ourselves simply to moves Nix did make, which were minimal and vacuous in effect. How about the non-moves, like putting all his eggs in the Trent Edwards basket. Thinking they could switch to a 3-4 defense without the players. Riding the "3 backs" propaganda express and then just taking a 4th rounder because any old draft pick is just good as another and it's hard to remember all those phone numbers in the NFL.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/121908-gaither-on-the-outs-in-baltimore/

Maybe Buddy saw it playing out like this...therefore, he thought they should wait, saving the draft picks and contract extension money.

Which, if true...Buddy looks like a complete and total GENIUS! :flirt:

Way to be original with your post...it was a horrible DECISION to start a new thread on this same topic! :wallbash:

Well, the draft class in its entirety isn't producing anything. Torbor just got benched.

How about the coaching decision? The staff is knocking it out of the park so far.

But why limit ourselves simply to moves Nix did make, which were minimal and vacuous in effect. How about the non-moves, like putting all his eggs in the Trent Edwards basket. Thinking they could switch to a 3-4 defense without the players. Riding the "3 backs" propaganda express and then just taking a 4th rounder because any old draft pick is just good as another and it's hard to remember all those phone numbers in the NFL.

In all fairness to the current decision makers, it is not fair to judge the 2010 draft class after only 5 games. Do you actually think that Buddy and Company were drafting players with the intention of making the playoffs this year? This is a work in progress, and they selected players who fit into their master plan. While I don't necessarily agree with all of the picks (i.e., reached on Troup, waited to long to address OT, etc...), I think they did a decent job adding players who will fit into the "rebuilding stage" of this franchise.

Rookies who excel in their first year are the exception to the rule. Typically it takes some time for these players to develop.

What I do agree with in this post is the "non-moves" during the free agency periods. Really!! They we only able to get a 4th and a conditional pick for Lynch? Their answer to our offensive line woes was picking up Cornell Green? Why didn't they add a veteran QB (i.e., Mark Brunell) in the offseason? These are the things that make me disgruntled, and before this season I was relatively gruntled.

That RB in Detroit sure is looking like a good pick and that UDFA in Arizona is doing nice. Other than that I cannot think of one rookie doing much...

Is this a joke? Or do you not watch football?

Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Williams, Berry, Okung, Haden, McClain, Alualu, Davis, Matthews, Graham, Thomas, Iupati, Bulaga -- every draft pick before Buffalo and several after -- is either a outright starter or seeing plenty of playing time.

In all fairness to the current decision makers, it is not fair to judge the 2010 draft class after only 5 games. Do you actually think that Buddy and Company were drafting players with the intention of making the playoffs this year? This is a work in progress, and they selected players who fit into their master plan. While I don't necessarily agree with all of the picks (i.e., reached on Troup, waited to long to address OT, etc...), I think they did a decent job adding players who will fit into the "rebuilding stage" of this franchise.

Rookies who excel in their first year are the exception to the rule. Typically it takes some time for these players to develop.

I hear what you are saying.

But, this sort of thinking is outmoded in today's NFL. There are beaucoup counter-examples of rookies contributing to their teams very early in their careers over the last several seasons.

The NFL has changed. Players' careers are shorter than they have ever been. Teams use the draft to re-load their rosters every year. Even perennially solid teams like the Patriots, Colts, and Chargers re-load their line-ups through the draft. Not every rookie may produce at a superstar level, obviously, but many teams get good production out of many rookies and 2nd year players.

What I do agree with in this post is the "non-moves" during the free agency periods. Really!! They we only able to get a 4th and a conditional pick for Lynch? Their answer to our offensive line woes was picking up Cornell Green? Why didn't they add a veteran QB (i.e., Mark Brunell) in the offseason? These are the things that make me disgruntled, and before this season I was relatively gruntled.

Let's take a look at all the good things Buddy has done in the first 10 months or so on the job to turn around a bungling team.

• <crickets>
  • Well, hopefully Whaley doesn't suck as bad as John Guy did, but that's anything but proven.
  • <crickets>

The team is worse and there hasn't been a single profound move of note made by Nix in the first 10 months. First impressions count. When things are bad, most people expect the new guys on the scene to start pulling hoses and getting to work, not break out a bag of marshmellows and a pack of smokes to enjoy the fire.

I hear what you are saying.

But, this sort of thinking is outmoded in today's NFL. There are beaucoup counter-examples of rookies contributing to their teams very early in their careers over the last several seasons.

The NFL has changed. Players' careers are shorter than they have ever been. Teams use the draft to re-load their rosters every year. Even perennially solid teams like the Patriots, Colts, and Chargers re-load their line-ups through the draft. Not every rookie may produce at a superstar level, obviously, but many teams get good production out of many rookies and 2nd year players.

True, but you must realize that many of these rookies who are "immediate impact players" are drafted by teams who already have a solid core of players to build around. Just look at the teams you mentioned...the Pats, Colts, and Chargers. These teams already have solid players in place which makes it easier for a rookie to make the transition, and thereby flourish in the NFL. They do not have to rebuild....they just reload. Unfortunately, players who are drafted by the Bills do not have this same luxury.

True, but you must realize that many of these rookies who are "immediate impact players" are drafted by teams who already have a solid core of players to build around. Just look at the teams you mentioned...the Pats, Colts, and Chargers. These teams already have solid players in place which makes it easier for a rookie to make the transition, and thereby flourish in the NFL. They do not have to rebuild....they just reload. Unfortunately, players who are drafted by the Bills do not have this same luxury.

That's not always true. The Falcons didn't have a solid core a couple of years back. The Rams were a very bad team and Bradford is playing well. The Lions have many young players coming into their own off their 0-16 debacle.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/121922-nix-got-one-right/page__view__findpost__p__2014600

In my previous post, most of those players are on teams that were equal to or worse than Buffalo last season. Most of those teams will probably be better than Buffalo after this season. While we could debate the meaning of "impact", contributing on a team that is getting better overall isn't such a bad outcome.

The Bills have had really bad drafts since Tom Modrak came on the scene. It's a sort of snowball effect and it's going to be very difficult to break the cycle at this point. What is truly disturbing is that the current regime, though they talk about "plans", don't demonstrate it. Their first rookie draft class is doing nothing. Even the Dick Levy regime fared better than that with Whitner, Simpson, Williams, Butler, Ellison, Pennington, McCargo, and Youboty all making some contribution on the field as starters or in spots as rookies.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

You are correct...there are exceptions to my point. The Rams are a good example of this, as they have improved tremendously, it seems, just by the addition of Sam Bradford. Reverting to my main point, however, it is unfair to judge a draft class after just 5 games!! Particularly when the young players are being drafted by the "train wreck" that is the Buffalo Bills organization.

The addition of an excellent QB may be the catalyst that this team needs, and that is likely to happen via the 2011 draft. A good QB, coupled with some upgrades along the offensive line and defensive front 7, and we could have a much improved team next season. Then, you begin to see these rookies play up to their potential. Certainly, Spiller will flourish once he is given some room to run (and the carries). Torell Troup, given some help from his supporting cast, begins to demonstrate the run stopping ability that he was drafted for. Also, now with a good QB who has some time to throw, Evans, Parrish, Johnson, and our rookies Marcus Easley and David Nelson are able to make some big plays.

It's all relative I guess....I'm just not ready to throw in the towel. Not yet. I was a Bills fan back when they sucked, and I will continue to support them and remain optimistic despite their current suckitude.

You are correct...there are exceptions to my point. The Rams are a good example of this, as they have improved tremendously, it seems, just by the addition of Sam Bradford. Reverting to my main point, however, it is unfair to judge a draft class after just 5 games!! Particularly when the young players are being drafted by the "train wreck" that is the Buffalo Bills organization.

The addition of an excellent QB may be the catalyst that this team needs, and that is likely to happen via the 2011 draft. A good QB, coupled with some upgrades along the offensive line and defensive front 7, and we could have a much improved team next season. Then, you begin to see these rookies play up to their potential. Certainly, Spiller will flourish once he is given some room to run (and the carries). Torell Troup, given some help from his supporting cast, begins to demonstrate the run stopping ability that he was drafted for. Also, now with a good QB who has some time to throw, Evans, Parrish, Johnson, and our rookies Marcus Easley and David Nelson are able to make some big plays.

It's all relative I guess....I'm just not ready to throw in the towel. Not yet. I was a Bills fan back when they sucked, and I will continue to support them and remain optimistic despite their current suckitude.

Sure. There is always the hope that things will get better. Don't take my comments as some sort of "last word" on this draft. That's not how they are intended. It's more just a reflection of the general sense that this "new" regime came out of the gate pretty damn leisurely if not dropping their pants around their ankles and falling flat on their face.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Are you implying that Torbor is a rookie ? http://www.nfl.com/players/reggietorbor/profile?id=TOR177981

Also, this thread started off being one about what the OP thinks was one correct decision and you have diverted it into all the wrong ones that you believe Nix made. There are preponderance of threads debating the merits of Nix's moves so far. Why hijack a positive thread and start the same whining, moaning and bitching ?

You all have good comments on this!

Yes, to have rookies impact on the get-go, you need to talent around them to help them transition. But that Bills haven't had that. Every decent veteran they've had, they've released because of the almight dollar or they didn't fit in the next HC mold for a team. Hell Spiller isn't even really making an impact. The players they did draft over the past few years are gone and so are the free agents they picked up. It's all been bandaides to stop the leak in the dike.

How long has Nix been with this team? The writing was on the wall at the end of last season, and he had the knoledge and change to make a difference. But he choose to go into 2010 sleeping during the FA period and draft and stood pat with the same piss poor players, hoping Chan Gailey would revive their career.....Thanks for playing Johnny, what do we have for the losers?

As for George Edwards, I'm sure he had a lot to say on the defensive talent he had to help transition to the 3-4. He's in way over his head. He was a linebackser coach; he isn't even near coordiator qualily. If he can't see Kelsay justing standing there next to the pile and being outrun, then he needs to be handed his walking papers. He doesn't make the necessary adjustments.

The week in and week out excuses that they need to try every possible package is getting worse that Trent's comments that they need to execute better. Gailey had all last spring and summer to tinker and tweak, and look at where they are.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but this excuse week in and week out, "We need to make adjustments to see every possible combination" is BS!!! Gailey had all frigging spring and summer to tweak, and look at where the team is. Why doesn't he and Nix just admit they screwed up, and let's write this year off and see what happens in 2011.

This isn't going to get better boys and girls before the season is over. I'll be really shocked if their record is 2-14. And until either RW passes or brings in someone like another Polian, we're going to keep seeing the same lousy crap next year and the year after. Look at the other teams; they brought in coaches and coordinators who weren't one of the good ole boys. Ralph brought Marv in to make him feel comfortable because he felt TD wasn't getting it done and he thought the second coming of Marv would make the fans feel better and sell tickets. Everyone clamoured for DJ's head on a platter, but look at where we are. I don't blame Schobel for retiring.

There's no way they'll win tomorrow. And rag all you want on those who start these threads of how bad they're going to get their butts whooped tomorrow. But we all need to vent. And this team, the coaches, the front office, and Ralph himself can sit there and ponder why they are playing so bad and fielding crap all they want, but we the fans need to step up and say FU and the horse you road in on!!!! Enough is enough and we are tired of being lied to, the slight of hand tricks, all the smoke and mirrors, and rabbits being pulled out of a hat. Ralph has no one to blame but himself. His comment that a QB is #1 priority in the draft next year is hogwash. If you don't have a line that can protect, it isn't going to matter who the hell the QB is!!!! Seriously Ralph, get a clue or quit messing around and let someone else run the show. Just collect your checks.

Are you implying that Torbor is a rookie ? http://www.nfl.com/players/reggietorbor/profile?id=TOR177981

Of course I was NOT implying Torbor was a rookie. Torbor was the subject of a different sentence. :rolleyes:

I was refuting Big Kat's claim that the only move Nix made that didn't pan out so far was Green.

If you want to list all the great accomplishments made by the "new" regime, why don't you just do so instead of playing thread rent-a-cop?

If you remember Butler announced his retirement after the draft and after the thick of free agency. All that was left was scrubs....He filled a hole wih a stop gap player.

Of course I was NOT implying Torbor was a rookie. Torbor was the subject of a different sentence. :rolleyes:

I was refuting Big Kat's claim that the only move Nix made that didn't pan out so far was Green.

If you want to list all the great accomplishments made by the "new" regime, why don't you just do so instead of playing thread rent-a-cop?

If you play hijacker, I am always ready to play the cop and I dont need any rent. There are a preponderance of threads about how fans do not agree with the the moves of Nix and Co. This is one thread saying what they did right. Why thread crap and screw up yet another thread with negativity ?

I am not saying who is right and who is wrong - it is too early to judge this regime. It just looks like so far they have been more right than wrong.

Sure. There is always the hope that things will get better. Don't take my comments as some sort of "last word" on this draft. That's not how they are intended. It's more just a reflection of the general sense that this "new" regime came out of the gate pretty damn leisurely if not dropping their pants around their ankles and falling flat on their face.

I still don't understand why people are bemoaning the fact that the Bills aren't going to grind out another 6-10 or 7-9 record this year.

Did you ever think that tanking the season with a roster that would never be playoff caliber in the AFC with the schedule the Bills have this year in the attempts of landing a true franchise QB through the draft next year isn't step 1 of the Nix plan??

Learn how to take the long view, suck it up, and think about April 2011, when you will hear the words: "With the first pick in the NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select......Andrew Luck, QB Stanford."

I would like to see Buddy step into the batters box a little more often.

Sleeping through free agency does not seem like the smartest thing to do. Then again, telling the media and fans that you slept through the opening day of free agency says something now doesn't it?

I still don't understand why people are bemoaning the fact that the Bills aren't going to grind out another 6-10 or 7-9 record this year.

Did you ever think that tanking the season with a roster that would never be playoff caliber in the AFC with the schedule the Bills have this year in the attempts of landing a true franchise QB through the draft next year isn't step 1 of the Nix plan??

Learn how to take the long view, suck it up, and think about April 2011, when you will hear the words: "With the first pick in the NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select......Andrew Luck, QB Stanford."

And then watch the Front Office get cheap and have Luck hold out for the entire training camp and pre-season?

With the long term track record of this frachsine I would prefer to see them trade down and acquire more picks.

Edited by Bob in STL

Well who do you think he wiffed on?

I agree with the big Cat.....other then Cornel Green who was a disaster as a free agent who else hasn't had a legit excuse for not performing?

Already asked and answered.

Let's turn this overly constrained knee-jerk defense around. Why don't you list all the moves Nix has made in the past 10 months that have been home runs?

So the "plan" hinges on the wish that Andrew Luck, a sophomore, declares for the draft. :lol:

You play to win the game. Any GM that comes in to a poor situation and has the plan to intentionally make things worse is a fool and should be fired.

There are usually more than exactly one good football player in a draft class. Teams that are good at drafting somehow know that fact. Besides, you ignore the fact that franchises make moves in the off-season to address problems like not having a QB -- the Bills elected to try and coach up Trent Edwards ... for two games.