Why is Brandon Merriweather not suspended?

Of the many headshots this past weekend, Merriweather's missile launch hit was by far the most egregious and had clear malicious intent. Dunta Robinson lead with his shoulder and while Harrison lead with his head, a ball carrier is not considered defenseless. I could agree with stiffer penalties than the 50k fine for them, but how is it that Merriweather was dealt equal punishment to them?

Brandon Merriweather launched himself into the air at a defenseless tight end reaching for the ball. He launched himself upward with his head down while leading with the crown of his helmet DIRECTLY AT TODD HEAP'S FACE. It was clearly not an attempt to tackle or separate ball from man. It was an attempt to use his helmet to separate head from shoulders. The play left me feeling angry that he would do that to another player. If the NFL really wants to crack down on these deliberate helmet to helmet hits, how is it that Merriweather escaped with only a fine and no suspension? It's a clear example of the kind of hits they should want to eliminate from the game and missing game time is the only effective deterrent.

edit: Here's a link to the hit in case you haven't seen it. The video at :40 gives a clearer view of the shot. Merriweather attempted the same thing on another occasion at 1:20 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1CmHk9GK0

Edited by earthtobrint

What I really don't understand is why Braylon Edwards hasn't been suspended? He was on probation for a fight and then got a DWI. And oh yeah, he was drinking with Stallworth on the night he killed a guy while driving drunk.

But I'm sure the fact that a NY team is involved doesn't affect teh commish's thinking at all. :rolleyes:

I agree. Merriweather's hit was outrageous. As another poster pointed out it was a pure head butt. He didn't even hit him with any other part of his body. He basically jumped up and head butted the receiver. Ridiculous. A blatant attempt to injure.

Let such an offense be punishable by immediate ejection from the game.

Second offense: immediate ejection and one game suspension, no pay.

Third: immediate ejection and three game suspension, no pay.

Any more than that: immediate game ejection and immediate league expulsion, announced, over PA, right there on the spot:

"Personal foul, helmet to helmet contact with at defenseless receiver, number 31, defense. This is number 31's fourth such infraction. He is hereby permanently expelled from the national football league. 15 yard penalty, automatic first down.

That way, Merriweather would have to walk off the field, alone, his last moments in the NFL, deafened by a chorus of boos.

--ALSO--

Teams should be punished for offenses like these. Get 'em where it hurts: after a certain amount, start taking away draft picks.

Although, that would just be another reason for Belicheat to stockpile draft picks!

What I really don't understand is why Braylon Edwards hasn't been suspended? He was on probation for a fight and then got a DWI. And oh yeah, he was drinking with Stallworth on the night he killed a guy while driving drunk.

But I'm sure the fact that a NY team is involved doesn't affect teh commish's thinking at all. :rolleyes:

Edwards get a pass..its in his contract. Anyone on the pats is allowed to take HGH leagally and going for knees and head shots.

Havent you read the rules for the NFL and the Rules for the Pats/Jets?

I agree. Merriweather's hit was outrageous. As another poster pointed out it was a pure head butt. He didn't even hit him with any other part of his body. He basically jumped up and head butted the receiver. Ridiculous. A blatant attempt to injure.

That was me! that was me!!!

I don't understand how he wasn't immediately ejected from the game. Ejections for such flagrant fouls are common in just about every other sport. As for suspensions/fines, the league/Gooddell has always been highly irregular and inconsistent. I recently read an article on the most ridiculous fines handed out in recent years, which showed minor offenses (such as banging a pair of drums to celebrate a touchdown) getting equal fines to much more serious offenses (such as suplexing a guy to the ground by his face mask). I'll see if I can link it.

I found a partial list of actual NFL fines.

$5000 fines

- High/Low whites on socks

- Pants not covering knees (no skin should show below the waist)

- Bandana

- Wrong nasal strip

- Hand towel alterations - towel must be 7 to 8 inches and have no tape on it

- Tape not the same color of the shoe.

- Jersey untucked (usually there is a warning for this one)

- Jersey cut too short

- Sleeves coming out of jersey - only QB can have this and only a certain amount can come out

- Chinstrap undone ($7500)

$10,000 fines

- Personal messages

- Any second offense fine

- Wrong attire 90 minutes previous and after a game - clothes must be Reebok apparel

- Tinted visor - must have a doctors note for a tinted visor

Meriweather often leads with his helmet when hitting. He actually did the same thing earlier in the Ravens game (on Heap's TD), but whiffed.

He did the same thing on McKelvin's fumble last year on MNF. Not the best angle, but I vividly remember the play

youtube.com/watch?v=i5MHtdcQstA

I saw that, too. I thought it was outrageous no one discussed it. I looked at this as a major reason McKelvin fumbled. He was hit hard on that play, you can easily see it, and it was a cheap shot. Unfortunately, even if the call would have been made, they Patriots would have still gove the ball.

The league couldn't suspend him because they hadn't warned him yet. It was only AFTER the games on the weekend that the league took the stance that they'd be suspending players no matter if they had been warned previously or not.

If they suspended Meriweather they'd have to suspend other players who hit illegally dating back to who knows when.

They fined him, heavily. From here on out the suspensions happen and, maybe in a couple of years, the league will be successful in transforming the game into a flag football event. Only pansies need apply! It's a flippen joke.

You wanna know the real hypocrisy in all of this? The NFL is making money off this so called horrendous hit ................

http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphotostore/2010-11-season-print/brandon-meriweather-todd-heap_323924.cfm

The league couldn't suspend him because they hadn't warned him yet. It was only AFTER the games on the weekend that the league took the stance that they'd be suspending players no matter if they had been warned previously or not.

If they suspended Meriweather they'd have to suspend other players who hit illegally dating back to who knows when.

They fined him, heavily. From here on out the suspensions happen and, maybe in a couple of years, the league will be successful in transforming the game into a flag football event. Only pansies need apply! It's a flippen joke.

You wanna know the real hypocrisy in all of this? The NFL is making money off this so called horrendous hit ................

http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphotostore/2010-11-season-print/brandon-meriweather-todd-heap_323924.cfm

Knew it was only a matter of time before some patsy* filth crawled out of whatever bahston muck hole you live in and defended this scumbag.

Merriweather is a piece of **** with a history of these type of cheap shots. Must have learned how to cheap shot from rodney harrison.

Knew it was only a matter of time before some patsy* filth crawled out of whatever bahston muck hole you live in and defended this scumbag.

Merriweather is a piece of **** with a history of these type of cheap shots. Must have learned how to cheap shot from rodney harrison.

Now, now. Let common sense prevail.

You can't suspend after the fact.

Heck, how many games back do you suggest the league go in their suspensions? Just 1, or maybe 10 or how about a year? 2 years? 5 years?

Think about for a sec will ya!