What NFL rules would you change?

BuffaloinLA

If you could change some NFL rules what would you change?

I will propose a few:

1) if you win a challenge, you don't lose a challenge in the future

2) you can not call time out a split second before a FG

3) make the goal posts closer together - Field goal kickers are now just too good and it prevents teams from going for it on 4th down

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Illegal man down field. I freakin' hate that call with a passion. There's already a rule in place that prohibits an offensive lineman from receiving the ball, so why in the world do we need this call? Besides, refs don't always call that penalty, unless you're the Bills then they'll call it every time.

Defensive offsides. Put it back the way it used to be.

If the defender jumps over the line, but gets back on his side of the ball without touching an O-lineman, before the snap, he should be considered onside. Penalizing a defender for causing the offense to flinch is bullcrap. The offense already has the advantage of knowing the snap count.

I think #1 makes sense...it makes no sense to me to lose a challenge if you get it right.

#2 I agree with as well....but any rule about it would necessarily effect certain situations where there may be a fake or something...I mean it's bush league to freeze the kicker a split second before (nothing wrong w/ freezing the old way of doing it more than a split second before the snap)...but at the same time if the ball is not in play I think you have to let time outs continue to be allowed..it works both ways as we've seen...

#3...IDK I doubt people would be going for it very much more b/c kickers would still be accurate against a more narrow field goal within the areas teams are willing to go for it....it's a field position issue...you can't take that out of the NFL the league is built on it.

In the spirit of the day I have to say I'd support some form of helmet to helmet rule enforcement...can't have a guy die and at this rate someone will eventually...

I would however...take away a lot of the protection of the QB. That REALLY changes the game and those guys aren't protected b/c they "Might die" like I talk about w/ the "defenseless wr" stuff...those guys are protected b/c owners pay them a lot and the league gets better ratings and produces better games when they're in. I hate the way QBs are treated. It ruins teh game to some extent. They're football players...make them play.

The most crucial rule I'd pass is some sort of game tempo rule...that's the last one to ever happen but commercials are out of control...I'm so sick of seeing a time out commercial immediately followed by a commercial after a score immediately followed by a commercial after a kick off...

Everyone, except for the QB, gets a facemask like this:

51wDUoNSWRL._SS400_.jpg

Once that is achieved, you should see less helmet to helmet hits, thus, reducing the number of concussions.

I'm not sure why the pictures URL isnt working.

Anyway, it is a Mark Duper (only player I can think of who used one) style facemask.

Also more on replay...2 things that drive me nuts:

1) There should be a replay official in the box...like college...it's hilariously ridiculous the way the ref walks over there and puts his head in that thing and we all look at him for an hour...

2) The standard of "irrefutable visual evidence" is too high. I understand why they thought that's the way it should be...but IMO it should simply "what the ref would call after watching the replay."

Edited by dayman

If you could change some NFL rules what would you change?

I will propose a few:

1) if you win a challenge, you don't lose a challenge in the future

2) you can not call time out a split second before a FG

3) make the goal posts closer together - Field goal kickers are now just too good and it prevents teams from going for it on 4th down

It's not a field rule but I would change the ownership rule to allow teams to be publically held ala Green Bay. Who wouldn't want to own a piece of your favorite team.

Edited by qwksilver

I hate the rule where if you are out of bounds and the ball is touching yu, the ball is considered out of bounds. Not sure how to fix it, but this rule seems to burn the Bills every once in a while.

Last time was at home vs the Jets in the 5-1 start season, ball was clearly staying in bounds on the kickoff, but Jet player just planted one foot out of bounds, grabbed the ball, whammo , penallty and out to the 40.

The other was the Pats OT game,Bills forcing and recovering a fumble after a great hit on the WR, dude was knocked out cold, but his helmet touching the line and his hand touching the ball, so just give it back to the Pats.

Not sure how you can change the latter, but on kickoffs I would make the rule ball dead wherever you go out of bounds, even if that is when you first touch the ball, if the ball is in the field of play.

Get rid of the stupid "excessive" celebration penalty after a TD. Players celebrate more after a sack than they do a TD. It's just dumb and doesn't slow the game down at all.

Get rid of the challenge flag, review thing all together. Put another ref in the booth that can look at the replays and call the proper decision down to field. Why do they need to stop the game and make the guy walk to the sideline and waste all that time? Why give the HC the responsibility of "policing" the refs and penalize him if he's wrong?

While they're at it... make the refs full time employees of the NFL. Why are they part timers anyway? Makes no sense.

Stop treating the QBs like they're wearing a skirt. If a QB a QB takes off running, he's fair game just like a RB -no slide crap. If the league wants to protect their QBs, tell them to stay in the pocket.

I know there's furor over the bad hits and all lately. But, they have to find some way to distinguish between a deliberate blow to the head and an inadvertent hand touching the QBs head, or the safety hitting the WR legally, but in the process of the tackle someone's head drops and they make contact.

Take the stupid tuck rule off the books, completely.

The most crucial rule I'd pass is some sort of game tempo rule...that's the last one to ever happen but commercials are out of control...I'm so sick of seeing a time out commercial immediately followed by a commercial after a score immediately followed by a commercial after a kick off...

I second this. Coming back from commercial after a score to just see a quick kick-off before immediately going back to commercial is ridiculous.

I second this. Coming back from commercial after a score to just see a quick kick-off before immediately going back to commercial is ridiculous.

I third. A few years ago, there was a game where there was a turnover => COMMERCIAL, then injury => COMMERCIAL, then end of quarter => COMMERCIAL, then TD => COMMERCIAL, then kickoff => COMMERCIAL.

In about 15 minutes there were 5 plays.