Defense Solution - maybe...

Coach55

With our offense actually somewhat productive and our defense being inept as inept can be, we need to come up with a solution. Talent wise our defense just isn't there and we are getting run through like a hot knife through butter. Teams are ripping off huge chucks, little chunks, doesn't matter, but our defense can't get off the field. Potential solution - Blitz - Blitz often, Blitz from everywhere.

The problem with Blitzing is it leaves you highly susceptable to big plays. But since our defense sucks anyway, why not Blitz. Get creative - send 7, send safeties, send corners, overload one side. Let the DB's play tight man and roll the dice. What do we have to lose. Sure teams will rip off 20+ yard plays left and right, but they are doing that anyway and we are sitting back. At least with a super aggressive blitzing defense, we may be able to get some turnovers or at least a few 3 and outs.

I'd say go back to the 4-3...AND blitz, blitz, blitz. But has the damage to the season already been done?

The season is not shot yet (okay it probably is), but the team needs to find an identity. George Edwards, in my eyes, is on the chopping block and better change something quick.

I'd say go back to the 4-3...AND blitz, blitz, blitz. But has the damage to the season already been done?

Blitzing is more effective from a 3-4 (ala LeBeau) so I agree with the OP. What the Hell, let's play the kids, blitz like the dicken' and have some fun. We'll give up a lot of big plays to good QB's but we will rough up a few, cause some turnovers and maybe get off the field on third and long a few times.

With our offense actually somewhat productive and our defense being inept as inept can be, we need to come up with a solution. Talent wise our defense just isn't there and we are getting run through like a hot knife through butter. Teams are ripping off huge chucks, little chunks, doesn't matter, but our defense can't get off the field. Potential solution - Blitz - Blitz often, Blitz from everywhere.

The problem with Blitzing is it leaves you highly susceptable to big plays. But since our defense sucks anyway, why not Blitz. Get creative - send 7, send safeties, send corners, overload one side. Let the DB's play tight man and roll the dice. What do we have to lose. Sure teams will rip off 20+ yard plays left and right, but they are doing that anyway and we are sitting back. At least with a super aggressive blitzing defense, we may be able to get some turnovers or at least a few 3 and outs.

Edwards doesn't seem to be much of a blitzer, and its strange that I thought the whole reason for the change to the 3-4 was so they could blitz easier.

But I agree, they have to try something.

One thing I noticed is that they are getting killed by cutback runs. Even players on the D line are saying that they are losing gap control and that is how the cutbacks are happening.

There are several reasons for this. A guy like Spencer Johnson is getting killed at the point of attack, especially when he double teamed. The Jets had a field day with him. Other times, guys are over pursuing and LB's are getting caught in junk inside. They aren't disengaging, and they aren't holding their gap either.

If it is me I try something like this:

I go back to the 4-3, just because you have more quality DL than you do linebackers;

I move the LB back a yard or 2. They're mostly playing around 3 yards off and they aren't getting off their blocks. I stack all three, since none are very good at taking on an OL, and hope this gives them a better chance at getting free.

Moving them back a yard or 2 gives them a little better chance in pass coverage, something they've been burned at too.

I'll still overbalance the line if there's a good guess as to which side the O is going to;

And yes, blitz, lots of it. You can blitz from that formation, ask the late Jim Johnson.

And one last thing...Whitner...Jesus...you've been burned at least twice for 2 big runs in the last 2 games.

LT left your jock on the field against the Jets, and MJD burned you for 23 yards against Jax. On the MJD run, you comepletely bit on a play to the hole (which was covered), he bounced it outside and ran by you. You're a safety, not an LB, play like one. You are the last line of defense...do...not...let...a..RB....get...past...you. Pay freaking attention do what you're doing and know your freaking role.

He's coaching the Steelers defense.

Yeah, I know - wonder if Gailey ever 'reached out' to him, since they both coached there under Cowher (Gailey as OC, LeBeau as DC), and if he'd be willing to come back to BuffTown for a return-engagement as ass't head coach?

Maybe even 'round out' the coaching staff with a real OC/ass't head coach - maybe someone like, oh, I don't know, maybe...

Mike Leach??? B-)

Being 0-5 as we are, I play the 3-4 exclusively, play the younger players so they can get accustomed to one defense.

Play Troupe at the NT and build around him. Rotate Kyle Williams at DE, play Carrington as much as you can. Give reps to Coleman to rush the passer, ditto to Moats when healthy. Play Poz and Davis every down, rotate the outside LBs.

Install the blizt packages (if Edwards has any?!) and let the kids play.

I feel they're trying to do too much with their front 7 that the players are overthinking and trying to do to much. Let them know what their responsabilities in the 3-4 with a true NT and go from there.

Edited by Luisma

Blitzing is more effective from a 3-4 (ala LeBeau) so I agree with the OP. What the Hell, let's play the kids, blitz like the dicken' and have some fun. We'll give up a lot of big plays to good QB's but we will rough up a few, cause some turnovers and maybe get off the field on third and long a few times.

If we don't start playing the kids and letting them gain experience now then they never will get a chance.

This defense is such an enigma ... it's time to show some leadership and one of the draft picks might have it. It's pretty clear that Stroud, Poz, Whitner, etc. just go through the motions.