Bills have 1st crack at Merriman.

I dont get why people assume he is complete done becase he has had 3 bad years.

2007 had 12.5 sacks AFTER being caught on the juice

2008 he tears ACL.

2009 he plays in 14 games and has 4 sacks. Everyone in sports knows it normally takes a full 24 months to recover from an ACL, so this year is tough to say he sucks.

2010 Has battled other injurys.

- Yea he isnt as good as he was when he was on roids. But he has also been hampered by injuries as he hasnt been healthy. He could easily be a 12 sack guy again if healthy. Not to mention he would be BY FAR the best LB on this team.

Its a smart move any way you look at it.

- Improves team

- No risk

- A "name" player that will get media/fan attention

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other reason we need Merriman is to cross one need off the positional needs list. If you need QB, LT, ILB, OLB, and some add NT, DE, TE, and WR, you need to have 1 or 2 of these addressed--not only for going into the draft, but for getting through this season.

Even if he's a shell of his former self what is the loss? The prorated portion of 3mill? For 2 million I take him even if he's not a probowler on the off chance he can teach maybin one move in the time he's here. There is really no way to lose. Worst case scenario is no harm no foul. I don't see how someone would rather hold on to our 53rd best player then look at merriman - especially when everyone is claiming we only have 5-10 players that are worth keeping.

Not asking why we won't get him, asking why we shouldn't? Why do you as the fan sitting in section 112 or your couch on Sunday prefer to have mccargo suited up or Ellison? Doesn't it seem the worst case is that he is a shell and a lateral move? Is there any way this team becomes worse in the short and long run? On further thought It seems the only way this team would be worse with this addition is he shows up, makes some big plays and we draft 4-5 instead of 1-2 and he doesn't want to come back next year.

Edited by NoSaint

If Satan himself could make some plays for this team, I would sign his hot, red ass.

He's already playing QB for the Pats*.

Does this mean trigger thinks Tom Brady has a "hot, red ass"? :blink:

Edited by Punch

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/10/report_ravens_could_be_interested_in_merriman.html

According to Peter King, the Ravens have expressed interest in acquiring Merriman. It's not like no one would take him if we don't. The article lists where Merriman would prefer his landing spot to be. I bet he'd be upset if Buffalo claims him. The Bills wouldn't be able to retain him past this season unless they're the only team willing to risk signing him long term. At least the Bills would have the opportunity to evaluate him the rest of the season and decide if he's worth re-signing. All it would cost is a portion of his $3.269 million contract this season. For a team so far under the salary cap and in desperate desperate need of athletic linebackers that can rush the passer, it's really not a very high price to pay to try him out.

Edited by earthtobrint

But he has had only four sacks in the three seasons since and developed a contentious relationship with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith.

Let's fix the above statement:

But he has had only four sacks in three of the four seasons since he stopped taking steroids or HGH or both.

Not saying the Bills don't need LB help, but he seems to be an oft-injured shell of his former self since he stopped taking the juice.

Edited by Special K

But he has had only four sacks in three of the four seasons since he stopped taking steroids or HGH or both.

Not saying the Bills don't need LB help, but he seems to be an oft-injured shell of his former self since he stopped taking the juice.

Then let's get him back on the good stuff and mask it correctly!

Or we could say he's had 4 in the one season and 4 games since a season ending knee injury.

No one really knows what he is at this point. It also ignores the 12.5 sacks in the season AFTER he was suspended.

Edited by NoSaint

You people. So desperate to keep the Bills from having any good players else you lose the lovable loser persona.

Gotta get that TO out of town and don't you dare sign a single player that people outside of Buffalo have ever heard of. That is NOT how we roll.

Merriman might be useful to the Bills - folks have already commented that he might be able to teach our guys something or contribute because our LB corps is weak. That's all true, but Merriman is done. That's the whole ROID trade-off. He bought some Pro-Bowl years for a quick, ugly decline. Do you think Merriman can beat the Roid Curse? His body will continue to fall apart as he ages. I don't wish him anything bad, but he made a deal with the devil and now he's paying the bill.

If he can help in any way, I say great. Let's give him a try. But realize the Shawn Merriman people are thinking of is not the SM that will show up at our door.

Baltimore considering dropping Jared Gaither for Shawne Merriman. Now there's a potential for a good left tackle. Gaither has been hurt this year but he is only 24.

Gaither might get dropped link... http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bthesite/vensel/2010/10/gaither_a_possibility_in_raven.html

I wanted Gaither this off-season. I know he's an injury question mark but at such a huge need position, I can't see a lot of downside. If he can't play, the Bills are no worse off. If he can, they have a really good player and certainly one better than any current Bills tackle.

So your saying Kelsay is better than Merriman? Thats laughable, we need to bring him in and see if he can help this sorry assed bunch of sissy LB's. Dont forget that SD's defense was rated #1 or #2 this year, Merriman is playing with a much better crew of guys making tackles. Merriman will be coming into a piss poor group of LB's and DL's and he will be the big fish in a small pond and making lots of tackles. Can he stay healthy is the bigger question.

Well... I wasn't saying Kelsay is (not was) better... But I am now!

And guess who else is better!!!

Keith Ellison last 3 seasons... 28 G's, 0 SK's, 5 PD's, 1 FR, 151 T's, 5.4 T's/G

Sean Merriman last 3 seasons... 18 G's, 4 SK's, 0 PD's, 0 FR's, 44 T, 2.4 T's/G

Conclusion... While Merriman may have been superior in his 1st 3 seasons due to his sack count and maybe passes defended also (He averaged just 4.4 tackles/game in those years), he has clearly not been as good since his knee injury as the back-up Keith Ellison.

It takes more than name recognition to play in this league. Injuries can and do end a players production.

Well... I wasn't saying Kelsay is (not was) better... But I am now!

And guess who else is better!!!

Keith Ellison last 3 seasons... 28 G's, 0 SK's, 5 PD's, 1 FR, 151 T's, 5.4 T's/G

Sean Merriman last 3 seasons... 18 G's, 4 SK's, 0 PD's, 0 FR's, 44 T, 2.4 T's/G

Conclusion... While Merriman may have been superior in his 1st 3 seasons due to his sack count and maybe passes defended also (He averaged just 4.4 tackles/game in those years), he has clearly not been as good since his knee injury as the back-up Keith Ellison.

It takes more than name recognition to play in this league. Injuries can and do end a players production.

There's also a difference between appearing in games, and being a full time starter. What was the extent of Merriman's participation in games in comparison to Ellison's?

I had to step in here......

If he can rehab and play for Buffalo this year you now have the leader for the next 5 years.

He would boost the defense and add some excitement.

Do you know who would benefit the most from Merrimen? Poz!

MAYBIN!

Oh yes please! I need a new highlight to erase my memory of Chad Pennington juking Eddie Robinson for a score.

That play still huants me. For everyone who says the Bills haven't bottomed out - that was the play. We've just never been able to get off the ground since then. In fact we probably deserve a decade of terrible football for that one play.