For those that want to draft something other than QB

drewfla

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are about to go to 3-3 with the addition of Bradford. It is crazy to talk about drafting tackles if a QB available at 1. Having a great QB makes everything else better.

Dolphins

They went to the playoffs with an 11-5 record with the addition of Jake Long. It is crazy to talk about drafting a QB if a LT is available at 1. Having a great LT makes everything else better.

They are about to go to 3-3 with the addition of Bradford. It is crazy to talk about drafting tackles if a QB available at 1. Having a great QB makes everything else better.

Unfortunately, it's a lot more complicated than that. What makes it so hard is the fact that all first round draft picks, regardless of position, have a success rate of about 50-50. What makes this such a problem is the amount of money and time invested in a first round pick. A franchise QB can turn a team around in a hurry, but he doesn't play by himself. He depends on the O line in front of him to give him time to adjust to the speed of the pro game. So if you draft a QB and he's getting killed behind a bad O line, it hampers his development at best. At worst, it can ruin him altogether.

So should you always draft a QB in the first round? Is that a sure fire way to turn a team around? Hard to say. It's worked with some teams (Colts) and not with others (Raiders).

I think you need to time the development of the offense (especially the line), with the development of the QB.

Dolphins

They went to the playoffs with an 11-5 record with the addition of Jake Long. It is crazy to talk about drafting a QB if a LT is available at 1. Having a great LT makes everything else better.

the rams drafted jason smith near the top in 2009 then saffold at the top of the 2nd round this year. so they went with the sexy lt pick in smith last year and still ended up with the top pick. safforld ended up beating smith for the lt spot. we need an elite lt and a vet like mankins inside and then we can think about a qb.

What LT coming out this year is "Jake Long #1" worthy?

That's the problem, there is no LT that is #1 worthy. You look at various mock drafts, and they have 2-4 OTs going in the 1st round, and most are later in the 1st. Anthony Castonzo seems to be the top LT prospect.

This topic has been run into the ground. There is no point arguing anymore. People are so dug in at their position, that they won't budge (some guys want a linebacker instead. How can you reason with that person?).

There are still people out there that don't recognize that the NFL is completely based around the QB. And that even if the line sucks, if a top shelf prospect is available, the sooner he gets in Buffalo the better.

How did Danario Alexander do today with Bradford?

Danario is going to be a beast if he can stay healthy. 4 catches 73 yards including a 33 yard diving touchdown. We should have absolutely took a flyer on that kid.

The difference is the Rams have been building smartly by using high picks on fixing their lines for the past several years. Rams 1st and 2d round picks the last four years (note the absence of RBs taken with early first round picks):

1st:

Carriker DT - traded after injury, currently starting for Redskins

Long DE - starter

Smith OT - starter

Bradford QB - starter

2nd:

Leonard FB - traded after injury

Avery WR - starter

Laurinaitis LB - starter

Safford OT - starter

I don't think you should ever go into a draft thinking you absolutely need one position. That's how you end up with JP Losman. But I do think this is a very good year for a franchise QB.

As for the Rams, I think a lot of their successful comes from drafting in the top 5 for the last 5 years or so. And they play in the worst division (NF West) and play 4 games against the 2nd worst division (AFC West). The Rams are improved but they play a joke schedule. If we switched schedules with them, they probably are 0-5 or 1-4.

The difference is the Rams have been building smartly by using high picks on fixing their lines for the past several years. Rams 1st and 2d round picks the last four years (note the absence of RBs taken with early first round picks):

1st:

Carriker DT - traded after injury, currently starting for Redskins

Long DE - starter

Smith OT - starter

Bradford QB - starter

2nd:

Leonard FB - traded after injury

Avery WR - starter

Laurinaitis LB - starter

Safford OT - starter

And yet, after all that "fixing the lines" BS, the Rams didn't get any better until they got a franchise QB. Long, Smith, etc led that team to 1 and 2 win seasons. They get a franchise QB, and bam, they've won as many games in 6 so far this season (3) as they had won in the past 2 seasons combined.

Also, the argument is a bit mis-leading. Smith was drafted, and was so bad at LT, they had to spend another pick on Saffold, who then beat out Smith for LT. Think the rams really wanted to spend the #2 pick on a RT?

And yet, after all that "fixing the lines" BS, the Rams didn't get any better until they got a franchise QB. Long, Smith, etc led that team to 1 and 2 win seasons. They get a franchise QB, and bam, they've won as many games in 6 so far this season (3) as they had won in the past 2 seasons combined.

Also, the argument is a bit mis-leading. Smith was drafted, and was so bad at LT, they had to spend another pick on Saffold, who then beat out Smith for LT. Think the rams really wanted to spend the #2 pick on a RT?

Smith is still their starting RT, no?

My point is, drafting a QB without addressing the other areas isn't going to fix much. They need to address all those areas, so the smartest way to draft -- as always -- is to take the best player. I have no idea if that is a QB, LT, DE or LB, but that's what they need to do. The reason the Bills are a laughingstock is because they make franchise crushing decisions like Losman and Maybin based on a narrow position focus, or because they make picks like Spiller to 'generate excitement'. If the best player in April is a QB, I'll be thrilled if they take him, but I don't want them to risk another bust and watch the next Oher/Orakpo slip past.

Smith is still their starting RT, no?

My point is, drafting a QB without addressing the other areas isn't going to fix much. They need to address all those areas, so the smartest way to draft -- as always -- is to take the best player. I have no idea if that is a QB, LT, DE or LB, but that's what they need to do. The reason the Bills are a laughingstock is because they make franchise crushing decisions like Losman and Maybin based on a narrow position focus, or because they make picks like Spiller to 'generate excitement'. If the best player in April is a QB, I'll be thrilled if they take him, but I don't want them to risk another bust and watch the next Oher/Orakpo slip past.

Spiller was the unquestioned best player available. In the long run, you are much better off drafting the best talent as opposed to drafting for need. Drafting for need gets you guys like McCargo, etc. The Bills do need to get some help along the lines, but are much better off getting the franchise QB while we have a chance to get one. If all the players are at a similar talent level, you take the QB.

wait.... what did the rams draft the few years before Bradford??? and Offensive and Defensive line, thats it (and yes they got Saffold as well this year). what did the Jets draft before sanchez? you guess it the same thing!!! how about the dolhpins? Yup - Jake Long came first...

I'm just saying....Bills need to go line and/or linebacker these next couple years before the "franchise saviour" in 2012.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/ram.htm

wait.... what did the rams draft the few years before Bradford??? and Offensive and Defensive line, thats it (and yes they got Saffold as well this year). what did the Jets draft before sanchez? you guess it the same thing!!! how about the dolhpins? Yup - Jake Long came first...

I'm just saying....Bills need to go line and/or linebacker these next couple years before the "franchise saviour" in 2012.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/ram.htm

How many wins did the OL picks generate. None. The Rams didn't start winning until they got the QB.

How is Jamarcus Russell doing in Oakland?

I can't find him on the sidelines :blush:

There always going to be the potential for a Ryan Leaf/David Carr/Alex Smith type pick , but I think the reward outweighs the risk. The Manning Brothers , Phillip Rivers, Donovan Mcnabb just to name a few are glowing examples of making QB top priority when you have a top 5 pick , only if there is a need at the position.

Im all for shoring up the Oline , but I think if I'm Buddy Nix and I feel as though there is future All-pro QB available , I take him first and foremost , then address the oline. Trade back into the 1st if theres a tackle you like , or look to free agency to fix the lines.