Jim Kelly

Nostradamus

Here's another article in which Jim Kelly touches upon the future of the franchise. At first glance, it seemed to me more of what we already know at this point... that he is looking to put together a group of investors to purchase the team upon Ralph's demise.

But, reading the paragraph closely, one can infer that things have progressed a lot further than we have thought. The first example is when Kelly states "if that day comes when he decides, "It's time for me to relinquish the ownership..." "then I do have people in line that will want to purchase the team and keep it in western New York."

Two interesting things about this statement. First, the beginning of the sentence seems to indicate that Ralph would consider moving the franchise before he passes, a concept that has, to this point, been rejected by Ralph. Second, while Jim has been making noise for awhile about a group of potential investors, I never remember him being so declarative as he is when he states "I do have people in line that will want to purchase the team and keep it in Western New York." That suggests he has all his ducks in a row, and has everything set up in his corner for a purchase. No longer is the situation theoretical...he now has his people ready to make a move. Of course, that gives rise to speculation as to who those people are?

Other then the usual suspects, (Rich, Golisano, etc I have no idea who those people could be.) Although, I do think it's interesting that Paladino has been so chummy with Thurman of late. Paladino doesn't have the necessary funds to be a majority owner, but he could certainly chip in as a minority owner. At any rate, unless Jim is completely making things up, which seems unlikely, it appears he has assembled a legitimate group of buyers committed to keeping the team local.

What really grabbed my attention though, is the next sentence. "Because I do not entertain any offers from anybody looking to move the Buffalo Bills from western New York." Whoa... that makes it sound as if Jim is in the position to take offers from potential buyers. Only Ralphie would be in that position... unless a future sale was all but a done deal. Now Jim could have been talking about people making offers to join his ownership group... but he did not say that. Further, it seems unlikely there would be any offers to Jim from foreign investors looking to relocate, since everyone knows he is 100% committed to keeping the team here.

It could have just been clumsy wording on his part, or clumsy writing. But, this article, supplemented by John Wawrow's cryptic comments on WGR about him betting"70-30" the Bills would be here long term after his conversation with Ralph, definitely have me believing that Jim has something in the works and picking up steam.

Edited by Nostradamus

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another article in which Jim Kelly touches upon the future of the franchise. At first glance, it seemed to me more of what we already know at this point... that he is looking to put together a group of investors to purchase the team upon Ralph's demise.

But, reading the paragraph closely, one can infer that things have progressed a lot further than we have thought. The first example is when Kelly states "if that day comes when he decides, "It's time for me to relinquish the ownership..." "then I do have people in line that will want to purchase the team and keep it in western New York."

Two interesting things about this statement. First, the beginning of the sentence seems to indicate that Ralph would consider moving the franchise before he passes, a concept that has, to this point, been rejected by Ralph. Second, while Jim has been making noise for awhile about a group of potential investors, I never remember him being so declarative as he is when he states "I do have people in line that will want to purchase the team and keep it in Western New York." That suggests he has all his ducks in a row, and has everything set up in his corner for a purchase. No longer is the situation theoretical...he now has his people ready to make a move. Of course, that gives rise to speculation as to who those people are?

Other then the usual suspects, (Rich, Golisano, etc I have no idea who those people could be.) Although, I do think it's interesting that Paladino has been so chummy with Thurman of late. Paladino doesn't have the necessary funds to be a majority owner, but he could certainly chip in as a minority owner. At any rate, unless Jim is completely making things up, which seems unlikely, it appears he has assembled a legitimate group of buyers committed to keeping the team local.

What really grabbed my attention though, is the next sentence. "Because I do not entertain any offers from anybody looking to move the Buffalo Bills from western New York." Whoa... that makes it sound as if Jim is in the position to take offers from potential buyers. Only Ralphie would be in that position... unless a future sale was all but a done deal. Now Jim could have been talking about people making offers to join his ownership group... but he did not say that. Further, it seems unlikely there would be any offers to Jim from foreign investors looking to relocate, since everyone knows he is 100% committed to keeping the team here.

It could have just been clumsy wording on his part, or clumsy writing. But, this article, supplemented by John Wawrow's cryptic comments on WGR about him betting"70-30" the Bills would be here long term after his conversation with Ralph, definitely have me believing that Jim has something in the works and picking up steam.

I think you are on to something. Over the last two or three years, Kelly has been speaking with such confidence, assuring everyone the Bills aren't going anywhere...and then some comments that Thurman Thomas has made during that time, make me thing that Kelly isn't just talking out of his ass...he knows something that we don't know, about the Bills future.

The only thing that puzzles me, in this scenario, is why Mr Wilson wouldn't make some sort of announcement, before he passes. You would think that the criticism he continues to be leveled with, has to be getting to him a little bit. He acknowledged that he "hears it", just this past week.

I thought he might announce something at his HOF induction last year...but it never materialized. Or at his ring ceremony at the Ralph, but nothing... Thurman Thomas made some murky claim that "an announcement is going to be made, in the very near future, that will make every Bufflao Bills fan "in WNY" very happy". Dick Jauron was still around for another (half) season, so I don't think he was referencing that...and he kept emphasizing the "WNY" and "Buffalo" Bills thing...it seemed like he had been let in on some big secret that only Ralph Wilson and Jim Kelly knew about...but again, nothing materialized...there were overtures from Kelly, during last years Super Bowl hype week, that something "big" was on the horizon. I like Chan Gailey okay, but hiring him to replace Dick Jauron was hardly earth shattering...all that for Terrell Owens? It seems like there is a cat in the bag, but Ralp Wilson and Jim Kelly don't want to let it out just yet...

Edited by Buftex

Maybe something from the league is holding things up. I know they don't want ownership groups with many small investers. They want one or two or a family with controlling interest.

RW seems to match to his own beat, in many good ways. The fans of western NY may have pissed RW off enough with their insults that he's not going to give anyone the satisfaction of knowing the team is staying. Maybe he figures let them sweat??

Edited by Ed_Roch

My issue with all the conjecture around what happens after Mr. Wilson passes is that it is all conjecture still.

Why keep plans a secret if they do exist? Why keep everyone guessing?

Ockham's razor comes to mind. When competing hypotheses are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selection of the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities while still sufficiently answering the question. So which makes the most sense to you:

1) There is a plan in place for Mr. Kelly and associates, or some other group, to buy the Bills and keep them in WNY. But not publicly acknowledge such a plan in the least which keeps the fan base, coaches, players, as well as any potential coach and player hires questioning the future of the team and tend to avoid making a commitment to a team whose future is uncertain.

or

2) There is a plan in place that will cause the eventual relocation of the team. But not publicly acknowledge such a plan in an effort to keep the fans coming to the games instead of disowning the Bills immediately which also allows the Bills to stay in Buffalo the entire time Mr. Wilson is alive.

or

3) There is no plan at all and the future of a 900 million dollar business entity if left to see where the chips fall after Mr. Wilsons passing.

Obviously 3 gets discounted immediately as Mr. Wilson is not a moron. So out of 1 and 2, which makes the most sense to you?

I do not know Mr. Wilson or Mr. Kelly or any of their business people. So I am just theorizing like everyone else. But until someone who is credible comes forward (preferably the most credible which would be Mr. Wilson himself) and states otherwise, my guess is number 2 above.

I think you are on to something. Over the last two or three years, Kelly has been speaking with such confidence, assuring everyone the Bills aren't going anywhere...and then some comments that Thurman Thomas has made during that time, make me thing that Kelly isn't just talking out of his ass...he knows something that we don't know, about the Bills future.

The only thing that puzzles me, in this scenario, is why Mr Wilson wouldn't make some sort of announcement, before he passes. You would think that the criticism he continues to be leveled with, has to be getting to him a little bit. He acknowledged that he "hears it", just this past week.

I thought he might announce something at his HOF induction last year...but it never materialized. Or at his ring ceremony at the Ralph, but nothing... Thurman Thomas made some murky claim that "an announcement is going to be made, in the very near future, that will make every Bufflao Bills fan "in WNY" very happy". Dick Jauron was still around for another (half) season, so I don't think he was referencing that...and he kept emphasizing the "WNY" and "Buffalo" Bills thing...it seemed like he had been let in on some big secret that only Ralph Wilson and Jim Kelly knew about...but again, nothing materialized...there were overtures from Kelly, during last years Super Bowl hype week, that something "big" was on the horizon. I like Chan Gailey okay, but hiring him to replace Dick Jauron was hardly earth shattering...all that for Terrell Owens? It seems like there is a cat in the bag, but Ralp Wilson and Jim Kelly don't want to let it out just yet...

I remember Thurman even gave a date in which something big was going to happen... and it never materialized. However, the writing is on the wall. With Thurman moving back to Buffalo, Kelly's comments which have become more and more direct, Wawrow's recent optimism AFTER speaking with Ralph, one can actually say that the future of the Bills in Buffalo looks better than it has in years, despite this dismal team. If the Bills end up picking first overall, don't be surprised if the move were to take place before the draft. New owners would certainly pay a little extra to have their say in the first pick overall.

The problem is everyone seems to fel that RW owes them an explanation. If he wants to keep everyone guessing that's fine. Maybe it's hurting the team due to people not knowing, but the one it's hurting most is him, so again his choice.

My issue with all the conjecture around what happens after Mr. Wilson passes is that it is all conjecture still.

Why keep plans a secret if they do exist? Why keep everyone guessing?

Ockham's razor comes to mind. When competing hypotheses are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selection of the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities while still sufficiently answering the question. So which makes the most sense to you:

1) There is a plan in place for Mr. Kelly and associates, or some other group, to buy the Bills and keep them in WNY. But not publicly acknowledge such a plan in the least which keeps the fan base, coaches, players, as well as any potential coach and player hires questioning the future of the team and tend to avoid making a commitment to a team whose future is uncertain.

or

2) There is a plan in place that will cause the eventual relocation of the team. But not publicly acknowledge such a plan in an effort to keep the fans coming to the games instead of disowning the Bills immediately which also allows the Bills to stay in Buffalo the entire time Mr. Wilson is alive.

or

3) There is no plan at all and the future of a 900 million dollar business entity if left to see where the chips fall after Mr. Wilsons passing.

Obviously 3 gets discounted immediately as Mr. Wilson is not a moron. So out of 1 and 2, which makes the most sense to you?

I do not know Mr. Wilson or Mr. Kelly or any of their business people. So I am just theorizing like everyone else. But until someone who is credible comes forward (preferably the most credible which would be Mr. Wilson himself) and states otherwise, my guess is number 2 above.

I already offfered to by the team but my wife wants a new dishwasher. Sears Deluxe model #4335

If I have any money left....THEN I WILL BUY THE BILLS.

Sears used to have a scratch and dent store on Elmwood out past Hertal somewhere near where the Pirrce Arrow old car factory was, I bought a 600$ dishwasher there for 140$ in the 80s and it looked good the scratch was on one side no big deal at all. That DW worked like a charm until at least 2006 when I moved and sold it for about what I paid in the first place.

JFYI I haven't lived in Buffalo since 93 but who knows that store might still be there.

About the Jimbo and his collective buying the Bills thing, yeah somethings up. JK and RW aren't going to tell us just yet but it must have a side that the other owners don't like about it or there is a good tax reason or some fool thing that we don't know. Lets face it they would both hurt their legacys' in a big way if something doesn't keep the Bills in Bflo. They know it, they both care about it and they both have wagged their tongues about it a bit now.

Maybe something from the league is holding things up. I know they don't want ownership groups with many small investers. They want one or two or a family with controlling interest.

RW seems to match to his own beat, in many good ways. The fans of western NY may have pissed RW off enough with their insults that he's not going to give anyone the satisfaction of knowing the team is staying. Maybe he figures let them sweat??

This is a joke, right?

Their insults?? Don't you mean their hard earned dollars (tens of millions of them per year)?

Dude that guy comes across like such a doosh. Thanks for making Buffalonians looked stupid on a national stage...ugh!

He has got to be better than what is in Albany right now. This state is a mess why not give him a chance. 4 years from now if you do not think things have changed for the better the you can vote for the same old same old crap that is in office now.

Donald Trump? Steve Wynn? I don't know lots of rich people out there who want to buy in.