Another departure

JohnC

Some of this stuff really makes me wonder what portion of the posters here have never been on other Internet-based message boards.

I suspect that John Wawrow posts here to get his name out there more, so that his writings reach a wider audience. Or maybe just for fun, who knows. Most people "bother" continuing to participate here because they enjoy the back and forth that these Internet-based message boards offer.

"You are a dummy" has grown to mean "I disagree with the opinion that you expressed in your previous posting" on Internet-based message boards. This may offend your humanistic sensibilities, but it's just the nature of the beast. You can try to keep your corner of the Internet from changing to meet these modern communicative norms, but you'll just end up with smaller debate amongst a hold-out crew of like-minded folks. That is a choice to be made by the owners of this domain, but successful Internet-based message boards and their posters have adapted to this style.

And suggesting that, because John isn't a "columnist", his pieces are devoid of opinion rings hollow with me. So, I'll simply say that I disagree with the opinion that you expressed in your previous posting. Every writer injects their own style (which is generally colored by their opinions and life experiences) into their work, and people may or may not enjoy it and may or may not criticize it.

I just generally dislike the whole notion of, "I was personally attacked for posting my opinions on an Internet-based message board! It isn't worth it to post here because my feelings were hurt!".

Frankly, it isn't "worth" anything to post on a message board such as this. It's just a fun thing that we do to engender debate among a community of individuals sharing a similar interest. If you have any experience on such message boards, you should fully expect that you will catch some heat when you post things that others disagree with. You should expect criticism in the manner that it is generally delivered in this medium - with a bit of bite. You should also expect a bit stronger bite if you separate yourself from the "regular" contributors by positioning yourself as an authority or give yourself a bit of "celebrity". To not expect that to place a target on yourself for extra criticism seems foolish.

Just my opinion, hopefully in a style that doesn't violate the Terms of Service :thumbsup:

I didn't pick John's username, or decide for him that he should post here from a position of notoriety/quasi-celebrity. That was a decision that he made for himself, theoretically understanding fully how that type of persona is received on an Internet-based message board.

If I claimed to be a notable, recognizable person, I'd expect that my non-anonymous status would change how my posts are perceived.

You're an idiot.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a free country...post, don't post, selectively post...whine, moan...whatever. We should all be civil...none of us are all the time some of us are uncivil more than others. If someone wants to leave...leave..if you want to come back..come back... I don't understand all the drama.

Its a free country...post, don't post, selectively post...whine, moan...whatever. We should all be civil...none of us are all the time some of us are uncivil more than others. If someone wants to leave...leave..if you want to come back..come back... I don't understand all the drama.

You're an idiot and a hypocrite. :lol:

The climate on this Board is starting to jibe with my observation of the climate at Ralph Wilson stadium. I grew up in Buffalo and always will hold it dear in my heart, but I'm starting to think that Buffalonians - at least the "active" generation of internet users and tailgaters - are a bunch of sniveling, slobbering, drunken, uneducated, entitled SOBs who deserve the horrible product that they're rabidly obsessing about. akm0404 is a perfect example of this unfortunate species - I'm guessing he's in his 20s (or younger), thinks the world owes him more than he's gotten in life, and thinks rudeness is something to be admired or emulated. It's a generational thing (a sad one), as well as a symptom of the long decline of the WNY region, which was once a breadbasket of prosperity and good schools. I don't blame JW in the least.

The climate on this Board is starting to jibe with my observation of the climate at Ralph Wilson stadium. I grew up in Buffalo and always will hold it dear in my heart, but I'm starting to think that Buffalonians - at least the "active" generation of internet users and tailgaters - are a bunch of sniveling, slobbering, drunken, uneducated, entitled SOBs who deserve the horrible product that they're rabidly obsessing about. akm0404 is a perfect example of this unfortunate species - I'm guessing he's in his 20s (or younger), thinks the world owes him more than he's gotten in life, and thinks rudeness is something to be admired or emulated. It's a generational thing (a sad one), as well as a symptom of the long decline of the WNY region, which was once a breadbasket of prosperity and good schools. I don't blame JW in the least.

Do you realise what you just said? You called a poster a son of a bytch...drunken, slobbering...made a lot of negative assertions about the guy..and then talk about civility on the board?

In this case John W didn't cause the drama. JohnC started this thread.

As far as the drama between John W and "The chimp," I didn't see it and don't care to find it. Something happened. John took off. Maybe he'll be back. I don't see him feeding a drama loop.

Is the tone of message boards different than real life? Yes. It would be great if people would police their behavior on the web like they do in public but they ("I") don't. The only way to keep a board clear of moronic posters is to start a draconian post/user deletion policy. That would both be a lot of work for our unpaid mods and also take away from the good that comes from frank and open discussion.

Unlike most social networks in real life where a group can ostracize a member and the member then usually changes or leaves, that can't happen here unless the software changes dramatically.

Edited by Peace

Do you realise what you just said? You called a poster a son of a bytch...drunken, slobbering...made a lot of negative assertions about the guy..and then talk about civility on the board?

Yessir. The person who is cheering the departure of a respected and valuable contributor because he was too thin-skinned to put up with the subhumans who chased him out. I realize it quite well.

:thumbsup:

That's what a brain drain will do to a community. :D

ffs... guys like jw have access none of us have, they give/gave TBD that bit extra you wouldnt find on your normal rant boards with just fans. As a general rule people should understand that if you say something that would get you a ppunch in the face in real life you shouldnt be posting it. How hard can that concept be?

I'm not trying to say that it is a 'good thing' to get personal with people on a message board. I'm only saying that, by now, if you post on a message board, you should not be surprised and have a tantrum if someone calls you a bad name.

You should be even less surprised if you position yourself as some kind of expert or quasi-celebrity.

Edited by akm0404

Yessir. The person who is cheering the departure of a respected and valuable contributor because he was too thin-skinned to put up with the subhumans who chased him out. I realize it quite well.

Exactly who is "cheering" anyone's departure???

Would that make someone actually subhuman?

I'm not trying to say that it is a 'good thing' to get personal with people on a message board. I'm only saying that, by now, if you post on a message board, you should not be surprised and have a tantrum if someone calls you a bad name.

You should be even less surprised if you position yourself as some kind of expert

Please respond in this thread by posting your name, job, and workplace.

I have learned that JW has decided to opt out of TBD. Someone who goes by the name of Chimp resorted to a personal attack (expletive) which got him banned from this board. So now Graham, Lori and JW have all come to the same conclusion that it is not worth their time to participate here.

Whether others agree or not with what they posted they don't deserve to be personally insulted for their views or responses. With their departures TBD is diminished by the loss of their insights and their inside contacts.

I've been personally insulted a million times but I'm still here... :nana:

Seriously though if you've been around here as long as some of us have and you can't recognize the difference between then and now...well...You'd have to be pretty clueless...I'm 100% certain the fact that the Bills (as an Organization) have been a complete joke is most definitely a contributing factor...But in comparison to say, MMORPG.com...This is actually quite tame... B-)

akm0404 is a perfect example of this unfortunate species - I'm guessing he's in his 20s (or younger), thinks the world owes him more than he's gotten in life, and thinks rudeness is something to be admired or emulated. It's a generational thing (a sad one), as well as a symptom of the long decline of the WNY region, which was once a breadbasket of prosperity and good schools. I don't blame JW in the least.

You make some very good points about how personal insults on an Internet message board are bad!