Whitner

9th leading tackler in the NFL . Yeah he sux. The boy has more tackles then P. Willis. More tackles then any safety in the league. If he was SO BAD as some of you experts on here, he wouldn`t have many tackles no matter what. How`s the Byrd man doing? Yeah make up some stupid excuse. Because I`m not listening.

The fact that whitner is 9th in the league in tackles proves nothing other than the fact that our front seven is garbage and donte is tackling running backs after huge gains......he is terrible, don't even mention him and p willis in the same sentence......and if your not listening to the "whitner bashers" don't post anything about that joke of a safety........he looked real good against LT and the jets a few weeks ago

What do the stats say about Whitner's ability to cover a TE? Even for one play?

I will grant you, he's a sure tackler (after the rusher has gained his 8 yards or after the TE has made the first down). And if you're in need of a great postgame quote, he's your man!

You must be talking about BYRD. Your funny.

Whitner is a slightly above average safety. No better, no worse. He ahs lots of tackles because he cant cover well(AKA the "Keith Ellison effect" where you cant cover your man, he is open and catches the ball, then you tackle him) and also because our front seven stinks. I wouldnt even call Whitner a sure tackler bc he just trys to hit you hard and doesnt wrap up. He is also misses too many in the open field. (we should deff resign Whitner though, hes not great so dont pay him like Kelsay, but we should keep our abover average players. PS Kelsay is not in the category )

As for Byrd, he got really really lucky last year. Many of his ints should have been TDs but the pass was horrible (his pick vrs CLE for example). This year that is showing as he is often exposed in coverage. Byrd doesnt have the run stopping ability of Whitner though.

Does anyone else miss seeing G. Wilson on the field more? I sure do - he was great last season for us.

We have a very diverse backfield with Byrd, Wilson and Whitner. Byrd is still young and has some work to do, he'll admit that himself. Wilson may be our most complete but Whitner is still better. I think, when used right, these 3 will become a nightmare for a QB. Putting Wilson in as a monster, on a 3rd and 5-7 is great.

You must be talking about BYRD. Your funny.

My funny what? Jesus.

Anyways tackles are a misleading stat. As a SS, i'd rather see whitner up there in pass breakups or tackles for loss. No football coach wants his safety leading his team in tackles - that means bad things are happening up front. I personally don't think whitner is terrible, but i don't judge the guys and gals on here that say so. Whitner's earned 99% of the criticism he receives due to his average play/big mouth.

If Whitner would learn to not overpursue so much, he would be a MUCH better player. He needs to keep outside contain on runs when he's supposed to, and when he's the last line of defense on runs up the middle he needs to make the tackle instead of going for the big hit.

His reaction to the pass is always a few seconds LATE. If he can do a better job of reading the QB's eyes, he could make more plays on the ball. But he watches the receiver instead, and that ends up being a 15-20+ yard gain and then tackle downfield.

He's got the athletic ability to be a good player, but he lacks the discipline. He needs to look in the mirror and correct the mistakes he continues to make.

I recall people screaming how useless London Fletcher was even though he was top 5 in the NFL in tackles. Does it matter if the tackles are all happening after they gain 10-15 yards?

PTR

Well, if I had to chose between the tackle not happening and a TD or 15 yards, I choose the latter. In Whitners case I do not think he can afford to play any closer to the line because he lacks the speed to drop in coverage with some of the top WR's.

9th leading tackler in the NFL . Yeah he sux. The boy has more tackles then P. Willis. More tackles then any safety in the league. If he was SO BAD as some of you experts on here, he wouldn`t have many tackles no matter what. How`s the Byrd man doing? Yeah make up some stupid excuse. Because I`m not listening.

How can you call yourself a VET and give golden credit to a Safety being the lead tackler all-the-while (which means in the mean time) we lead the league in points surrendered... meaning... 'Lil D let some tackles get by? If fact, a ridiculous number of passes have been completed to wide open receivers (in plain vie of 'L d) so far this year, as well as a sick number of touchdowns.

If a safety leads the league in knocking players out for the season- then you have my ear. If a safety leads the league in boredom in his quadrant of the field, then I'm listening. If a safety is compared to Ronnie Lott, then talk to me. Otherwise, shut up Donte Vet... show up or be cut.

I'm with you on Whitner. To expect him to cover and tackle everyone with very little help is just ignant. But bitching about what we have is what's done best around here. Now, if he was just just cut by another team??? Get r done Buddy. Ridiculous.

I'm with you on Whitner. To expect him to cover and tackle everyone with very little help is just ignant. But bitching about what we have is what's done best around here. Now, if he was just just cut by another team??? Get r done Buddy. Ridiculous.

I have to agree. It's not Whitner's fault we drafted him that high. He not pro-bowl but he's pretty damn good. And we can't afford to lose any players who are good players. I'd move him if the price were right but wouldn't set out to do it. I don't understand the hating on Donte.

Whitner or Witner? I don't think either one is that great.

Since when did fans lose all understanding of football? First off, the guy being 9th in tackles means the front 7 SUCKS. Next did you see him leave his jock on the field for the LT run? Next, the guy flat SUCKS at the other 1/2 of his job, pass protection.

If Whitner would learn to not overpursue so much, he would be a MUCH better player. He needs to keep outside contain on runs when he's supposed to, and when he's the last line of defense on runs up the middle he needs to make the tackle instead of going for the big hit.

His reaction to the pass is always a few seconds LATE. If he can do a better job of reading the QB's eyes, he could make more plays on the ball. But he watches the receiver instead, and that ends up being a 15-20+ yard gain and then tackle downfield.

He's got the athletic ability to be a good player, but he lacks the discipline. He needs to look in the mirror and correct the mistakes he continues to make.

This ^ is spot on...

And I'm not sure I can express how sick and tired I am about this little undercurrent of the Whitner backers who want to prop the guy up, for what reason I have absolutely no clue...It's actually embarrassing sometimes...I can't for the life of me figure out what player these folks are watching...But it sure as hell is not the SS I'm watching...

And let me get this out first...No one is saying Whitner is useless...He does some things well enough...He certainly does have the athletic ability to be a good NFL SS...He's a willing hitter despite being a bit undersized...But he's no where even close to the Player he was supposed to be, or the Player he thinks he is...

There are a few things that the Whitner lovers out there simply refuse to properly acknowledge...You can't just say the guy is not a bad player, and even though he's not exactly living up to his #8 overall status, he's leading the worst Defense in the league in Tackles...So he's not the problem really...Right? Um...No, not right...His Draft status is 100% the most relevant thing about his play. especially because the guy never seems to back down from thinking he's something special...Now I will say this much, it's not Donte's fault those idiots Drafted him at #8 overall...But it happened...And this Team needs him to play like a star, not like an average NFL SS who can't cover a TE to save his life...You want to bring up stats, how about 12 Passes Defended in 58 NFL Games as a Safety...That's not a typo...It's a fact...12 Passes Defended!!!! That's about one Pass Defended every 5 freaking Games!!! He has ZERO Passes Defended in 2010...ZERO...And don't forget Donte has played some FS in his career...12 Passed Defended in 58 Games is almost impossible to do as an NFL Safety...Don't believe me? Well lets look at the Safeties Drafted after Whitner in the 2006 Draft...Roman Harper 29 Passes Defended in 56 Games, Daniel Manning 22 Passes Defended and 6 INT's in 66 Games, Bernard Pollard 18 Passes Defended and 7 INT's in 66 Games...Donte Whitner was the #8 Pick in the 2006 Draft...There was only 7 Players in the entire Draft taken ahead of Whitner...He's expected to be better...period...end of story...Heck the SS Drafted one pick ahead of Whitner has been lambasted in the Media as a disappointment in Oakland yet he has 32 Passes defended in 69 Games...The Bills were expecting to get the next Polamalu or Wilson...They got well... Donte Whitner... :doh:

And don't tell me Whitner would be better with more talent around him...Sure I'd like to test that theory...But Teams already pick on him in the passing Game...With more talent around him he would just become more of a target...

I have to say this much...As long as the Whitner loving Bills Fans stay the course they will likely not be bothered with the losing...Cause if you can't see how Whitner is not good enough in the grand scheme of things, then losing football games wont be a big deal at all... B-)

Donte Whitner is so far from being the problem with the Bills that it isn't even funny. Most people have some sort of weird, petty jealousy fetish against him, as if it were his fault that the Bills reached on him and paid him a salary commensurate with the 8th overall pick.

The guy actually cares whether the Bills win or lose. Honestly ask yourself how many players on the team actually care, and how many are there because it is their job and really don't give a damn about the outcome of games.

He is no Ed Reed. But he is a solid NFL strong safety. On a team with so few NFL-caliber players, it's hilarious how quick we are to crack back on one of our few decent starters.

People get mad because he talks some junk and is a part of the NFL's urban culture - one that makes many here uncomfortable.

Take a deep breath and look for the real problems, because "Lil' Donte" ain't one of them.

Take a deep breath and look for the real problems, because "Lil' Donte" ain't one of them.

The thing is, he really is one of the problems, although most of it is not his fault.

Donte symbolizes many problems this team has, such as poor coaching (Jauron), idiotic management (Levy) and misguided priorities. Also, Mr. Wilson is there to make a profit first and foremost. The money he shelled out to Donte could have been used to pay a high quality player, which Whitner just is not.

There is no reason to be surprised when fans are frustrated watching a small, ineffective safety trying to cover a tight end when many players drafted at that slot actually produce.

He tries hard and I appreciate that, but his production is that of an average player.