Gailey on the hot seat?

Amstel

There have been plenty of one and done coaches, but in most cases, the owners felt that the team had more talent than the record reflected, and the coach got the ax.

I can think of a couple. Of course our friend Cam Cameron in Miami a few years back. Also, last year was Jim Mora Jr.'s first year in Seattle. The team when 4-12 in the Walrus' last season and went 5-11 under Mora. After the season he was canned for Carrol.

I don't think Coach Gailey will get fired. But if we go 0-16 and it's ugly, who knows?

I love these comments (about not being impressed with Coach Gailey). It's like starting a new job, but being unhappy with your boss because they don't like rock music.

It is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS to be unimpressed with anything that Gailey and/or Nix have done with this team so far. If the team turns around in November and wins more games than we expect, would you still be unimpressed? No, you'd probably be angry that they dropped 3 slots in the draft order.

:wallbash:

I too am utterly unimpressed with Coach Gailey so far. He took a team that was 6-10 and competitive most weeks and turned into an 0-5 team that gets blown out most weeks. Took our defense which was #16 in points allowed last year and #2 in picks, and moved them to dead last. Nothing has worked. I know it's a rebuilding year blah blah blah, but it shouldn't have gotten this bad. There's no excuse.

If the team turns around in November and starts winning I'll be happy and change my mind and become impressed. We'll see.

Edited by reddogblitz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Gailey, though, "when I walk out onto that field I expect to win - I don't hope I'm gonna win" that quote might be questioned after this season. If you're looking to blame someone I think you have to go to the Owner. If you're the owner and you're looking to blame someone you might look to the people responsible for the team's player aquisition. I just don't think (and this is based solely on the looks I see on Gailey's face) that he has control over everything he needs control over - or, to put it differently, it looks like he is trying to coach with one hand tied behind his back. It looks like he took this job thinking he could do more than others have done, and is finding out why others before him have failed so miserably; he now knows what he doesn't have, what he cannot do, and is trying to find a way to win despite that.

So, could Gailey be one and done? What if he quits? What if he says, "Ahhh...I didn't sign up for this crap. I can't win under these conditions."? That's a possibility, although slim. But, at times, after games this year, he's been seen to look awfully angry and frustrated.

I could see one other scenerio - if a really highly thought of coach made a move at the job - someone like Gruden, or Cowher, or the "Tuna". If that very, very unlikely situation were to occur, would Gailey keep his job? I don't think Wilson would pass up the opportunity to have a superstar coach, if he could wing it.

Frankly, I'd rather see some superstar coordinators, or a superstar college evaluator brought in. Something is amiss at One Bills Drive. This team looks so incompetent out there, we could/should literally replace 40% of the starting lineup. If you give a new coach 3 years to put together a team, that's 33% of a team per year, to end up with a team all his own after 3 years. By that reasoning, it could be within hoping distance to think that Nix and Chan, if they try really hard and get really lucky, could find a way to put it together so that next year we aren't having these talks anymore.

Keep in mind that Ralph is about to turn 92, which is old enough to die without being in poor health. If Wilson passes before the end of the season, any new ownership would have a free pass to can Gailey. Assuming Ralph is the one pulling the trigger, though, it seems unlikely that he'd give Gailey just 1 year in light of his recent "3 year turnaround" comments. However, there's still a chance. Keep in mind that when Ralph put the blame on himself, he said something along the lines of it was his fault for not hiring the right people. So that leaves the door open to the idea that Ralph realizes he hired the wrong GM/coach combo to turn things around, and will make a change at the end of the year.

You saved yourself from my wrath with your last sentence, bud.

Believing Ralph to place Gailey on the hot seat when he is only working with the supremely incompetent job Tom Modrak has done for the past DECADE is extremely foolhardy.

One has nothing to do with the other.

Now, firing Modrak would go a long way to establishing the Bills draft picks to that of success again.

I like Gailey, though, "when I walk out onto that field I expect to win - I don't hope I'm gonna win" that quote might be questioned after this season. If you're looking to blame someone I think you have to go to the Owner. If you're the owner and you're looking to blame someone you might look to the people responsible for the team's player aquisition. I just don't think (and this is based solely on the looks I see on Gailey's face) that he has control over everything he needs control over - or, to put it differently, it looks like he is trying to coach with one hand tied behind his back. It looks like he took this job thinking he could do more than others have done, and is finding out why others before him have failed so miserably; he now knows what he doesn't have, what he cannot do, and is trying to find a way to win despite that.

So, could Gailey be one and done? What if he quits? What if he says, "Ahhh...I didn't sign up for this crap. I can't win under these conditions."? That's a possibility, although slim. But, at times, after games this year, he's been seen to look awfully angry and frustrated.

I could see one other scenerio - if a really highly thought of coach made a move at the job - someone like Gruden, or Cowher, or the "Tuna". If that very, very unlikely situation were to occur, would Gailey keep his job? I don't think Wilson would pass up the opportunity to have a superstar coach, if he could wing it.

Frankly, I'd rather see some superstar coordinators, or a superstar college evaluator brought in. Something is amiss at One Bills Drive. This team looks so incompetent out there, we could/should literally replace 40% of the starting lineup. If you give a new coach 3 years to put together a team, that's 33% of a team per year, to end up with a team all his own after 3 years. By that reasoning, it could be within hoping distance to think that Nix and Chan, if they try really hard and get really lucky, could find a way to put it together so that next year we aren't having these talks anymore.

So would I...BUT! I tend to think that RW & JL has some say on how much they pay coordinators since Jauron only promoted from within, hence the cheap versions of assistants. OTOH are these guys are assistants he used to have with him at GT, if so he may want them because they will be loyal (and not smart or good enough to replace him)

First, This GM is Ralph Wilson's hand picked promotion, no way he fires him unless the team is still horrid in 2-3 years- Since this GM knows Cornell Green sucks and has stood by the guy giving him time to improve, or until he can prove he was a good choice at RT. So he will stand by his choice of Chan Gailey until our eyes bleed.

Second, It is all about the fans with RW... should the fans base start screaming for Gailey's head like they did for Trent Edwards, then there is a chance that RW asks Nix to make a move at HC. I honestly don't think this fan base can endure a 1-15 or winless season without everyone going postal.

Third, the only way Bill Cowher- Marty Schottheimer- Jon Gruden gets hired in Buffalo, it is because the owner has passed and the new owner wants to actually win.

P.S. The reason the team looks so incompetent it is because the HC is trying to do to many jobs... he should be be managing his assistants, the game on Sundays and motivating the troops. This guy hired a bunch of college assistants who don't have a clue how the NFL really works, So Gailey is not only teaching the players he is teaching his assistants at the same time. He sets up the game plan, calls the plays. Lets not forget that this man was fired as an OC in KC after his offense went 2-14, so to ask him to run the entire offense and team.... it looks like he is in over his head.

Edited by Harvey lives

This thought crossed my mind will watching the games with some friends. PArt of the reason some of the "big name" coaches passed on us is because we lacked a franchise QB. But if a guy like Gruden, who loved Spiller, has a chance to select his own QB, that could be enticing. Also if Luck ends up here and Stanford has a great finish, could Harbaugh possibly want to jump to the pros with his own QB?

The Fins fired Cam Cameron after one season, so it's not unheard of. But given Fitz has a 99.9 QB rating and is the 6th rated passer in the NFL, I think Gailey will be given a shot to coach at least another year with a more talented roster.

Gailey is definitely not on the hot seat. Nor will he be. Except for a few diehards, most of us know that Ralph is milking the cash cow. He is either still paying Jauron or had to pony up for a settlement. He's not going to dump his bargain basement front office because...

1. They cost him what he wants to pay. If you believed that crap about paying handsomely for an elite coach, snap out of it.

2. He doesn't care about winning. He is now trying to lower everyone's expectations by his comments. It is a reaction to the unhappy fans that are threatening to take away some of his profits. (Plan B will be to imply they might have to move the team if he can't fill the stadium.)

3. He has had a (heavy) hand in deciding what players come to Buffalo. The lack of talent here is as much his fault as anyone else's. As I've said before, Wilson has indicated that he does not respect top talent on the field or the sidelines. He stated that luck has a lot to do with it. There's no way he is going to upgrade this team. He is just going to slide during his remaining years.

Edited by BillsfaninFl

I love these comments. It's like starting a new job, but being unhappy with your boss because they don't like rock music.

It is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS to be unimpressed with anything that Gailey and/or Nix have done with this team so far. If the team turns around in November and wins more games than we expect, would you still be unimpressed? No, you'd probably be angry that they dropped 3 slots in the draft order.

:wallbash:

I'd say its utterly ridiculous to be impressed or happy with what Chan and Buddy have done so far, because they haven't done anything except reach Sub-Rock Bottom. They did nothing this offseason to try and start the rebuilding process except bring in some inexpereinced caoches/co-ordinators and decide to ride out the season using it as an extended pre-season to take a look at what they were given instead of doing like every other team does and study/watch game film from last year and evaluate in the Pre-Season and Training Camp.

These guys have wasted a full season of rebuilding cause they were incapable of evaluating talent in the offseason. Theres no rule that says they can't sign or trade for players in the offseason that fit what they want to do, instead they just thought they would take the current roster and try to fit square pegs into round holes

There is flat out no WAY he gets fired after this year. Even if he goes win-less his job is secure for now. People have to remember that this isn't even close to being his team. Look at who we drafted this past year. So far that is Chan's team (the ones who made it) and everybody else on this roster are players he inherited. He has to have a chance to build his team and THEN fail before he gets fired. Some of these media people are comical. :wallbash:

Yes, look at them. Although they are hard to see on the field--oh, that's because they are not there!

Anyway, as long as Ralph lives, Chan stays---Ralph essentially guaranteed that in his "in depth interview" this week. If RW doesn't survive his mandated 3 year "rebuild" period, there is absolutely no way a new owner is going to keep Gailey and Nix around at this rate. No way at all.

Anyway, if the Bills win 2 games or less, I can't believe any of today's "it's OK, expect to lose as we are rebuilding through the draft" crew will still be singing that bizarre song by the end of the season.

This thought crossed my mind will watching the games with some friends. PArt of the reason some of the "big name" coaches passed on us is because we lacked a franchise QB. But if a guy like Gruden, who loved Spiller, has a chance to select his own QB, that could be enticing. Also if Luck ends up here and Stanford has a great finish, could Harbaugh possibly want to jump to the pros with his own QB?

The Fins fired Cam Cameron after one season, so it's not unheard of. But given Fitz has a 99.9 QB rating and is the 6th rated passer in the NFL, I think Gailey will be given a shot to coach at least another year with a more talented roster.

take a long hard look at the 2008 KC Chiefs and Tyler Thigpin, he put up some respectable numbers in a lousy 2-14 offense, that is what Gailey does with an offense

Keep in mind that Ralph is about to turn 92, which is old enough to die without being in poor health. If Wilson passes before the end of the season, any new ownership would have a free pass to can Gailey. Assuming Ralph is the one pulling the trigger, though, it seems unlikely that he'd give Gailey just 1 year in light of his recent "3 year turnaround" comments. However, there's still a chance. Keep in mind that when Ralph put the blame on himself, he said something along the lines of it was his fault for not hiring the right people. So that leaves the door open to the idea that Ralph realizes he hired the wrong GM/coach combo to turn things around, and will make a change at the end of the year.

With new ownership, there is a good chance that just about everyone is let go, including Modrak, believe it or not. Seriously, Nix and Gailey could both be gone. Look at Jerry Jones. As soon as he came in he fired Tom Landry and brought in Jimmy Johnson. Of course Landry was beyond his prime and that was probably a good time to can him.

Call me crazy but I think theres a possibility if the Bills go 0-16 or even 1-15 he gets fired. The Bills have no talent. I mean even look at the Lions they have a very good young nucleous of talent with Suh, Stafford, Johnson,Pettigrew, Best. The Bills are completly void of that but stranger things have happened at OBD.

Call me crazy but I think theres a possibility if the Bills go 0-16 or even 1-15 he gets fired. The Bills have no talent. I mean even look at the Lions they have a very good young nucleous of talent with Suh, Stafford, Johnson,Pettigrew, Best. The Bills are completly void of that but stranger things have happened at OBD.

I won't call you crazy in fact I think it is hilarious that people think he wouldn't be gone if they go 0-16. Ralph CAN'T keep him if they run the table. Marinelli was 10 times the coach that Gailey and he was let go. And from what I can tell Millen was at least on par with what we have seen from Cooter so far to date. How could you possibly get a FA after going 0-16 and not changing regimes. Trust me, there are a lot of guys who would jump at that job. Coming off 0-16 you can only improve. We'll see. 1-15 he probably stays but 0-16 he can't if Ralph wants anyone at the stadium.

I won't call you crazy in fact I think it is hilarious that people think he wouldn't be gone if they go 0-16. Ralph CAN'T keep him if they run the table. Marinelli was 10 times the coach that Gailey and he was let go. And from what I can tell Millen was at least on par with what we have seen from Cooter so far to date. How could you possibly get a FA after going 0-16 and not changing regimes. Trust me, there are a lot of guys who would jump at that job. Coming off 0-16 you can only improve. We'll see. 1-15 he probably stays but 0-16 he can't if Ralph wants anyone at the stadium.

The big wrinkle is the prospect of the lockout. Think Ralph is going to pay 2 ex-coaches if there is a lockout? Of course, that doesn't mean that once the labor situation is resolved, Ralph doesn't pull the trigger on Buddy Chan for a 0 or 1 win season. (Although his interview with Wawrow sounded like surrender to me -- like he was going to give these guys 3 years to show if their so-called plan, which has looked like little more than reactionary spastic flailing so far, can work.)

I'd say its utterly ridiculous to be impressed or happy with what Chan and Buddy have done so far, because they haven't done anything except reach Sub-Rock Bottom. They did nothing this offseason to try and start the rebuilding process except bring in some inexpereinced caoches/co-ordinators and decide to ride out the season using it as an extended pre-season to take a look at what they were given instead of doing like every other team does and study/watch game film from last year and evaluate in the Pre-Season and Training Camp.

These guys have wasted a full season of rebuilding cause they were incapable of evaluating talent in the offseason. Theres no rule that says they can't sign or trade for players in the offseason that fit what they want to do, instead they just thought they would take the current roster and try to fit square pegs into round holes

I think you guys are missing my point. I think it's clear to see now (not 5 games ago) that Chan is running things in order to see what he has in this team. You can be unimpressed by the play on the field, but why give the explanation that we're generally unimpressed with this rebuilding project...after 5 freakin' games?

It's just sounding as if we're ready to ship Chan & Buddy out Lake Erie because they haven't won a game yet, when it's pretty clear that this team is being torn down for the purposes of a re-architecture.

PFT has no more weight or credibility than TBD.

I think with nevergiveup, Lori, and jw that we have more credibility than PFT when it comes to the Bills for certain. Florio is a lawyer who has tried to successfully cross over. Hope he's a better lawyer.