I challenge the board...

Alphadawg7

I challenge the board to find one play, one lousy play, since Lee Evans has been a Buffalo Bill where the HC, OC, or QB called a play where he was required to run over the middle and he said no. Seriously, this might be the most annoying thing I ever see on this board. If you dont like Lee or want to trade Lee, then fine...but to claim he "refuses" to run over the middle is so stupid that it has to finally be addressed.

You do realize this isnt baseball right? You dont get to waive off routes like a pitcher waives off a pitch selection from your catcher. You also realize that Lee doesnt call any plays right? You also realize that the OC, HC, and QB are the only one ever calling those plays right? So in what imaginary universe is Lee Evans "refusing" to run over the middle?

If you find one single play, just one, then I will concede you are right and will never mention it again. In fact, I will allow you to create my signature which I will keep for the remainder of the 2010 season. Other wise, just shut up about it already...

The challenge has been offered...I feel pretty confident in my odds here...

PS: For all you ranters about trading Lee Evans, can you at least get his salary right if you are going to cry about his salary. He is making $7.03 million this year, not $9 million. And if you are going to cry about his salary then I will expect to not see you in other threads calling Ralph cheap or that he isnt willing to pay his players because the two completely contradict the other...

Edited by Alphadawg7

I challenge the board to find one play, one lousy play, since Lee Evans has been a Buffalo Bill where the HC, OC, or QB called a play where he was required to run over the middle and he said no. Seriously, this might be the most annoying thing I ever see on this board. If you dont like Lee or want to trade Lee, then fine...but to claim he "refuses" to run over the middle is so stupid that it has to finally be addressed.

I don't think that's really provable without being in the huddle or on the sideline. He doesn't seem to get his number called on crossing routes often though... can't really hang that on Lee. He's also not a very big target (which is advantageous on crossing routes).

You do realize this isnt baseball right? You dont get to waive off routes like a pitcher waives off a pitch selection from your catcher. You also realize that Lee doesnt call any plays right? You also realize that the OC, HC, and QB are the only one ever calling those plays right? So in what imaginary universe is Lee Evans "refusing" to run over the middle?

If you find one single play, just one, then I will concede you are right and will never mention it again. In fact, I will allow you to create my signature which I will keep for the remainder of the 2010 season. Other wise, just shut up about it already...

PS: For all you ranters about trading Lee Evans, can you at least get his salary right if you are going to cry about his salary. He is making $7.03 million this year, not $9 million. And if you are going to cry about his salary then I will expect to not see you in other threads calling Ralph cheap or that he isnt willing to pay his players because the two completely contradict the other...

I agree with all of this...but I still think he should be traded.

(and I'll leave it at that, simply because I have shared my reasons in other theads.)

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge

I don't think that's really provable without being in the huddle or on the sideline. He doesn't seem to get his number called on crossing routes often though... can't really hang that on Lee. He's also not a very big target (which is advantageous on crossing routes).

I am not saying the staff doesnt choose to use him one way or the other...I am just directly challenging the statement constantly thrown around on here that he literally refuses to go over the middle. Its a factless rant that is thrown around here like its gospel...

I agree with all of this...but I still think he should be traded.

(and I'll leave it at that, simply because I have shared my reasons in other theads.)

I dont have a problem if you want to trade him, I am one that feels we will need him. I just have an issue with the daily factless claims of his refusal to go over the middle...

You do realize this isnt baseball right? You dont get to waive off routes like a pitcher waives off a pitch selection from your catcher.

Alphadawg, I don't think it works as you are implying.

They try different routes in practice. You get a Reed or a Welker that you toss to over the middle, they catch it, take a smack, and shove the ball in the DB's face with a grin. You say "hmmm, that guy's 'got game' for those routes" and you call them in the game.

If we don't see Evans running those routes in the game, maybe it's 'cuz he muffs them in practice. He can't hang on, or he sees he's about to be plastered and it distracts him and he muffs the catch. Then you say "OK, this isn't our guy's dish" and you call something else for him.

Maybe Evans could catch great over the middle and they're underutilizing him like Parrish was underutilized last year.

Or, maybe not. You don't know (unless you're at all the practice), I don't know.

But it's pretty meaningless to challenge the board to find a play where Evans said "no", because as you said yourself, it doesn't work like that.

To add, it was quite clear that with Trent at the helm, he was unwilling to throw it in traffic most times (ie over the middle). Note more passes over the middle now to Parish, Johnson, Nelson, and even an occasional one to Evans now since Fitz took the helm. It's not just about Lee.

I think it's more a question of him not being very effective going over the middle, not that he refuses to do it.

I hear what you are saying, and I dont have a problem with that way of thinking. But, thats not how people present their case on here about Lee. Constantly its that he refuses to go over the middle, in fact, people argue that point. Thats the issue I had.

I've seen Evans make tough catches over the middle of the field. His strengths are making catches deep and along the sidelines, which is why they use him there the most. But he's made plenty of plays underneath and over the middle. He's a great receiver.

I understand the logic that we should trade him now while he's "worth something" because by the time we're a good team, he'll be ready to retire. But that would hamper our offense, not to mention we wouldn't get fair market value.

He's a great player and worth every penny IMO. It's also well-documented that he is the hardest worker in camp and practice. Never complains, no diva attitude. He just shows up and works hard. He's a model football player and we're lucky to have him.

I dont have a problem if you want to trade him, I am one that feels we will need him. I just have an issue with the daily factless claims of his refusal to go over the middle...

That's fair. I am in the "He's good, not great, and the right offense might compliment him well so consider any reasonable offer" camp. The camp has a large sign.

Even though I am in that camp, I too have not understood the claims on effort or refusal over the middle. It's more likely he has not demonstrated the ability to be effective over the middle or he is used to stretch the field on every play, period. But I am sure as you say he doesn't make that choice or state an objection to a crossing pattern or a slant. It's quite possible he is not sent over the middle because the line can't open a throwing lane and by the time he makes a break the QB is already on his back…

The facts in my mind are this:

- He was highly touted prospect

- He was a First round pick

- He blocks to support the running game

- I have never heard any accusations that he take plays off

- He has a superstar salary

- He was not the most productive WR in the league by a wide margin and even on his team last year. The case is the same this year.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

For Gods sake he caught a pass over the middle during Sundays game...a slant pass I think it was.

Lee is great player....my problem is the Bills do not give him more touches.

Maybe the plays are being called and the protection breaks down...that we don't know.

And I think he does a better than average job run blocking....so does Stevie Johnson.

Only way you trade him is for a 1st draft pick. He is that good still. Anything less is BS.

I think he's bigger than Welker...just sayin'.

I challenge you to show us one play, just one play, where Lee Evans has gone over the middle and caught a pass more than 5 yards down field while he has been a member of the Bills?

I also challenge you to find one play that has not been a go route where he has made a guy miss and broke away for a large gain.

I feel pretty confident that you will not find one. Not saying lee is not a good WR, it just does not seem that he is too enthusiastic about contact and making plays over the middle.

The little slant pass last week that Evans caught, was the first time I have seem him do that in about 3 seasons.

So it really comes down to a debate between whether he can't run routes over the middle, or he won't run routes over the middle.

Either way, it doesn't happen, so who cares?

Exactly, it's probably a combination of he's not very good at those routes and hence the coaches do not call his number for them.

Lee Evans is a good WR.....But he's no Andre Reed. Now that guy would do what it took to make a play.