switch to 3/4 was in vain

Perry Fewell had a superior defense to the scheme we're currently running. I know they were motivated to make the switch because we face a lot of that same D and it would help prepare our offense for game day. Here's the problem, we don't have the personel the replicate what these other teams are doing to us so what's the point. We've been running with 4 down lineman most of the year anyways so whats the point? To make the gameplan more confusing for our front 7? Should have kept him on as DC cuz Mr. Edwards is just not the answer.

PS. Did anyone see what Perry's defense did to Jay Cutler and "one of the hottest teams in the NFC"?

Perry Fewell had a superior defense to the scheme we're currently running. I know they were motivated to make the switch because we face a lot of that same D and it would help prepare our offense for game day. Here's the problem, we don't have the personel the replicate what these other teams are doing to us so what's the point. We've been running with 4 down lineman most of the year anyways so whats the point? To make the gameplan more confusing for our front 7? Should have kept him on as DC cuz Mr. Edwards is just not the answer.

PS. Did anyone see what Perry's defense did to Jay Cutler and "one of the hottest teams in the NFC"?

I'm pretty sure the Giants' front 7 is one of the best, if not THE best, in the NFL. Not to mention, the switch to the 3-4 will not pay dividends in the first 4 weeks, and possibly not the entire season. When Green Bay made the transition to the 3-4 they were awful in the first half of the season, but as the year progressed, they became one of the league's better defenses. It takes time to get everyone on the same page and the Packers had more personnel that the Bills that were suitable to the switch. Patience, young padawan.

Perry Fewell's Tampa 2 had many warts last season. The Bills were horrible against the run last season and they still are. The constant is the personnel on the field. The switch to the 3-4 was not in vain because that is the system the coach wants to run. So they have to get the right players to run that system. Players have to get experience playing in that system. If you wanted a great defense to pop out of geenie bottle then this switch will cause you to make the statement you did. Down the line the switch will be fine if they get the players.

Perry Fewell is a good DC. I liked him in Buffalo. His defense is doing well in NYC because they have a thing called TALENT. Give the Bills the Giants defense and they will be good too. The Bills have nobody in their front 7 who is better than the Giants players.

Edited by purple haze

I think they made the change this year because it takes time. Better to implement it ASAP considering a total team overhaul is taking place. I think the D's struggles have more to do with the difficulty in adapting to the new scheme and less to do with the player's talent level, although the talent level is obviously not that great. Hopefully there will be at least 5 new starters in 2011 (if there is a 2011).

yep, the transition to 3-4 might take awile. I do find it strange they chose this yr to do that, w/ all the other holes on offense. but that's where we're headed.

Why not now? They wanted to run the 3-4 so at some point they were going to have to go through this transition. Even drafting players who "fit" the system those players will have to get used to playing it at the professional level. So no time to switch like the present.

Yikes, how short memories are. Is the the same defense that couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs and got steamrolled in the 4th quarter weekly? The same D that couldn't stop the run on it's best day? The same D with "small fast guys" who got worn down the longer the season went on? The same D that gave opposing QB's zero pressure? I NEVER want that defense back - period. Perry's doing better in NY because he's got better talent.

There is no great time to switch schemes, but I argue this was the right time. While we didn't have great 3-4 personnel to build on, the fact is we didn't have any good personnel to build on period. We don't have much talent and now is the time to build from scratch. We are going to suck this year and I keep saying it....don't lose with the same lame talent and veterans. Play the kids and rooks and take our lumps this year. We'll be better for it next year as we get in better players.

Why not now? They wanted to run the 3-4 so at some point they were going to have to go through this transition. Even drafting players who "fit" the system those players will have to get used to playing it at the professional level. So no time to switch like the present.

yeah, very true. just creates awful lot of holes to fill at one time. but yeah, this is the Year of Biting the Bullet.

No kidding...what they should have done is spend 3 years getting the players in place for the offense and the 4-3, then shoot the defense in the foot and make the switch.

When will the idiots at OBD get it!!!

Wow...everybody knew it was coming...it comes, and you're surprised. If this works, it is all for the better, but you'll still be bitter about this year, so good luck with that.

its official, the roller coaster just added some new loops.

4 YEARS of watching people B word and complain about our defense, and now that we have started the PROCESS of switching schemes, people are right back here saying that the old defense was "superior".

you guys are all too much. impatient and never happy. not that the team has given s much to be happy about. but we are in the middle of all the changes we've begged for. it doesnt all happen instantly.

You're so vain

You probably think you don't need a pass rush...

You're so vain

I'll bet you think Maybin can play linebacker...

Don't you? Don't you? Don't you?

You had me several years ago when I was still quite naive

Well you said that we made such a pretty pair

And that you would never leave

But you gave away the things you loved and one of them was me

I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee

Clouds in my coffee, and...

- Trent Edwards

I generally don't think overhauling a defensive scheme is worth the effort, but I do think that long-term, the 3-4 offers more than the Cover-2. But we still have to put up with the transition, which is frustrating. I'd have rather just lightly transitioned the defense from a pure Tampa 2 to a more traditional base 4-3.

its official, the roller coaster just added some new loops.

4 YEARS of watching people B word and complain about our defense, and now that we have started the PROCESS of switching schemes, people are right back here saying that the old defense was "superior".

you guys are all too much. impatient and never happy. not that the team has given s much to be happy about. but we are in the middle of all the changes we've begged for. it doesnt all happen instantly.

Damn hot pockets...what's taking so long?? :P

PPTR

Last years D was just as bad. Teams ran for 200 yds/game and we had no pass rush. Nothing has changed.

If you wanted to keep Perry, then you needed to make him HC. He was not going to take a demotion especially considering that he had an offer to be a DC at a better team.

Changing to the 3-4 was a bad decision. Again, the Bills are latecomers to the latest hot defense. Again, they struggle finding personnel who fit. They should have just switched to a more standard 4-3 or gone to a more pressure-packed version like the 46 or some variation.

Edited by johnnyb

I'm pretty sure the Giants' front 7 is one of the best, if not THE best, in the NFL. Not to mention, the switch to the 3-4 will not pay dividends in the first 4 weeks, and possibly not the entire season. When Green Bay made the transition to the 3-4 they were awful in the first half of the season, but as the year progressed, they became one of the league's better defenses. It takes time to get everyone on the same page and the Packers had more personnel that the Bills that were suitable to the switch. Patience, young padawan.

Well where's the growth? Where's the improvement? Where's the guys like J.Peppers that love the 3/4? 7-9 doesn't sound so bad anymore...

Well where's the growth? Where's the improvement? Where's the guys like J.Peppers that love the 3/4? 7-9 doesn't sound so bad anymore...

After 4 weeks??? Isn't it blatantly obvious in the post of mine that you cite that what I'm saying is it took the Packers half a season to adjust to the 3-4 even when their personnel was much better suited to the transition than ours? What are you even reading that you respond with this question? It will take time, it's not an overnight fix. For !@#$'s sake.

There is no way this team can go 7-9 this year regardless of what defensive system they employ.

Edited by Punch