It's not a rebuilding year

I feel sorry for you guys who keep saying it is a rebuilding year. There is no such thing going on. Haven't you noticed that the Bills have been getting worse each season for the last five years? Call it a recycling year. Every few years Ralph buys a bargain basement set of coaches and changes a few management names to make it look like something is happening.

But there is no rebuilding happening.

I prefer the term "throw away year". This is a season of pre-season. 20 games of evaluation.

Easily explained of course since Dick took the VCR when he was fired. ;)

This.

You can also consider that as "rebuilding". You can't build a team in one season (despite what Sparano/Parcells did with Miami), so Chan & Buddy are taking this season to evaluate. I don't see how it can be any other way right now.

This.

You can also consider that as "rebuilding". You can't build a team in one season (despite what Sparano/Parcells did with Miami), so Chan & Buddy are taking this season to evaluate. I don't see how it can be any other way right now.

A year to evaluate? Hell most of us right now can tell them that most of the clowns on this roster are backups.

This.

Tom Dimitroff did it in ATL. Parcells did it in MIA. Through 4 weeks STL and KC are looking much better, though not perfect.

You get consistent rebuilding when you don't hire the right people at the top (many times over), allow non-football people to interfere (going on since Day 1), and draft bad players who can't get on the field (consistent since 2000).

The reason the Bills can't avoid bottoming out is because they think their way is the only way. Unfortunately for us, their way stinks and hasn't resulted in much of anything for 10 years now. Get a proven personnel man and let him do his thing. Not these darn half-meausres.

Tom Dimitroff did it in ATL. Parcells did it in MIA. Through 4 weeks STL and KC are looking much better, though not perfect.

You get consistent rebuilding when you don't hire the right people at the top (many times over), allow non-football people to interfere (going on since Day 1), and draft bad players who can't get on the field (consistent since 2000).

The reason the Bills can't avoid bottoming out is because they think their way is the only way. Unfortunately for us, their way stinks and hasn't resulted in much of anything for 10 years now. Get a proven personnel man and let him do his thing. Not these darn half-meausres.

This.

Edited by BuffaloATL

It is not a rebuiding year. It is a Tearing Down year. Before you rebuild you must have a solid foundation. The 2010 BILLS clearly Do Not have a good foundation. Yes we are that bad. Once we have a core group then we can rebuild. 2011 will be a rebuilding year, 2010 year will need a complete demolition.

This.

Or despite what the Ravens did in hiring John Harbough, or what the Falcons did in hiring Mike Smith...worst to first in one season

Why on gods green earth does it take a full season for this coaching staff / GM to evaluate the players....when other teams only need a few hours of film study, Stop making excuses for them

This doesn't appear to be a rebuilding year to me either. It is more like a demolition year. Out with the old. It kind of looks like it is going to be a demolition year for the next two years to me, with a potential lock out coming.

Then, after the CBA, the rebuild begins.

The only thing that confuses me is Kelsay's extension. Which, to that I ask, why?

Why on gods green earth does it take a full season for this coaching staff / GM to evaluate the players....when other teams only need a few hours of film study, Stop making excuses for them

Egregious oversimplification. Look at how much trouble the Titans have figuring out Young, or the Raiders mistake with Campbell or San Diego letting Brees go for nothing, or Jacksonville picking up Trent, moving him to back up and cutting their other back up. Is their VCR broken too? Didn't the film from Cedric Benson when he was in Chicago tell the Bengals not to waste their time with him, well I guess there they were well off ignoring it. Who forgot to watch film of Arian Foster to figure out he should have been starting all season last year? Haynesworth has been average in the 3-4, I guess Shannahan is another doof that can't read a few hours of film and figure it out.

For anyone who feels they can use the ol' TiVo to build a winning football team in a few hours, I am sure there are opportunities to work for an NFL franchise or at least a college team as I don't think there are too many out there that will tell you they give you an infallible game day performance prediction based on a few hours of film.

The last Item is most comments are less about excuses, no one seems happy about where the team is (except jets, phins & pats), but the fact remains it will take time, draft picks and roster moves to make the team a contender as it is that poor right now. The only question remaining is which players can be improved and what is the replacement priority...

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Egregious oversimplification. Look at how much trouble the Titans have figuring out Young, or the Raiders mistake with Campbell or San Diego letting Brees go for nothing, or Jacksonville picking up Trent, moving him to back up and cutting their other back up. Is their VCR broken too? Didn't the film from Cedric Benson when he was in Chicago tell the Bengals not to waste their time with him, well I guess there they were well off ignoring it. Who forgot to watch film of Arian Foster to figure out he should have been starting all season last year? Haynesworth has been average in the 3-4, I guess Shannahan is another doof that can't read a few hours of film and figure it out.

For anyone who feels they can use the ol' TiVo to build a winning football team in a few hours, I am sure there are opportunities to work for an NFL franchise or at least a college team as I don't think there are too many out there that will tell you they give you an infallible game day performance prediction based on a few hours of film.

The last Item is most comments are less about excuses, no one seems happy about where the team is (except jets, phins & pats), but the fact remains it will take time, draft picks and roster moves to make the team a contender as it is that poor right now. The only question remaining is which players can be improved and what is the replacement priority...

It cuts both ways. They benched Edwards after two, count 'em, TWO games. That's coming to a very quick decision, by definition.

So, why is it terrific to come to snap judgments during the season after the ship has sailed, but prudent not to make judgments during the off-season, when teams are actually put together?

Edit: Some of your examples are irrelevant. It's a reasonable expectation that the same regime that drafts someone is going to take a season or three before dumping a high draft pick. Cutting a high pick that one just made reflects poorly on that person and they'd be out of an NFL job quickly and legitimately branded a yo-yo idiot.

Edited by Sisyphean Bills

Bingo.

Perhaps I should have said you can't build a team this season. Yes, Baltimore, Miami, & Atlanta did it in 1 season. That doesn't mean it will ALWAYS happen and that we should expect this right away. Hasn't everyone been saying that there's little talent on this team? How do expect ANY coach & GM to build a winning team in one season if the right talent isn't there?

This.

How come you "You can't build a team in one season" if Sparano and Parcells did? I also seem to recall Atlanta pertty much doing it a few years ago as well. Also what were Buddy and Coach Gailey doing in the off season? That's when they should have been evaluating players. The whole QB thing puzzles me. They didn't bring in anyone except a 7th round draft pick from a small time college. They had to know QB was our biggest weakness. There were other options available.

They had to know that Trent had his downfield/checkdown issues, otherwise why would they have given up on him so fast. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy as a clam he's gone, but why wasn't he cut in May?

Based on all this, I'll have to say it sounds like you're right. My take is they did a bad job of evaluating this in the off season. Especially Trent. they did have 32 games of film and this problem with his is painfully obvious to all of us scouts in TBD and else where if greater Buffalo Billdom.

Looks more like a wasted season to me so far.

It's true: you can't build a winning football team in a few hours. But the staff has had months to go over game film from last year, and in Nix's case, he was part of the Bills' staff last year (which means he should have known what they have and have not). So much for oversimplification. There was the voluntary and mandatory workouts and two months of preseason. So while there are valid excuses for not knowing how the team will jell, there are no valid excuses for not knowing the individual talent levels.

But putting aside these failures, we need to ask ourselves... if the team is this bad, and if the staff did a decent job in the draft, why aren't there several draft choices playing a lot? Several members of this Stadium Wall group accurately determined what needed to be done in the draft, supported by many statements by the "experts." Yet this team's draft, like so many in the past, was questioned by many as being less than successful. And the proof is butts on the bench.

Few people expected this team to be among the elite, but there should have been improvements made that are not there.

"So, why is it terrific to come to snap judgments during the season after the ship has sailed, but prudent not to make judgments during the off-season, when teams are actually put together?"

Because it doesn't fit into his "argument". Look, you are not going to get thru to these ppl that continue to accept and regurgitate the same excuses the Bills are feeding them.

It's called Kool-Aid, and if someone sips it, they are powerless to any reasoning. They just want more Kool-Aid.

THIS

It cuts both ways. They benched Edwards after two, count 'em, TWO games. That's coming to a very quick decision, by definition.

So, why is it terrific to come to snap judgments during the season after the ship has sailed, but prudent not to make judgments during the off-season, when teams are actually put together?

Edit: Some of your examples are irrelevant. It's a reasonable expectation that the same regime that drafts someone is going to take a season or three before dumping a high draft pick. Cutting a high pick that one just made reflects poorly on that person and they'd be out of an NFL job quickly and legitimately branded a yo-yo idiot.

Because Trent was so inept in the vast majority of his career and hit rock bottom this year...yes there is film, but yes they wanted to see if they could help him...it was clear he had no business starting in the NFL and they cut him and moved on as he was holding the offense back more than anyone else on this team.