It's not a rebuilding year

I feel sorry for you guys who keep saying it is a rebuilding year. There is no such thing going on. Haven't you noticed that the Bills have been getting worse each season for the last five years? Call it a recycling year. Every few years Ralph buys a bargain basement set of coaches and changes a few management names to make it look like something is happening.

But there is no rebuilding happening.

I feel sorry for you. You don't understand the words you're using. It's kinda sad.

This doesn't appear to be a rebuilding year to me either. It is more like a demolition year. Out with the old. It kind of looks like it is going to be a demolition year for the next two years to me, with a potential lock out coming.

Then, after the CBA, the rebuild begins.

The only thing that confuses me is Kelsay's extension. Which, to that I ask, why?

+ 1

How can you rebuild using the same stuff that doesn't work?

:angry:

Tom Dimitroff did it in ATL. Parcells did it in MIA. Through 4 weeks STL and KC are looking much better, though not perfect.

You get consistent rebuilding when you don't hire the right people at the top (many times over), allow non-football people to interfere (going on since Day 1), and draft bad players who can't get on the field (consistent since 2000).

The reason the Bills can't avoid bottoming out is because they think their way is the only way. Unfortunately for us, their way stinks and hasn't resulted in much of anything for 10 years now. Get a proven personnel man and let him do his thing. Not these darn half-meausres.

Those teams had a quarterback. If you'll look around our lineup, you won't find one.

Also, how good are those teams now? Are they Super Bowl contenders? Or did they in hindsight improve too quickly, leaving them good but not in range of greatness.

It's simply too early to judge the rebuild. Too early. It must feel good to run around the room screaming, though. Lets a lot of emotion out and it feels as if you're really doing something. It's certainly possible that by 2012 we'll still be a not very good team. If that's true, we'll be able to judge the rebuild. Till then, there's no way to do it.

Those teams had a quarterback. If you'll look around our lineup, you won't find one.

Also, how good are those teams now? Are they Super Bowl contenders? Or did they in hindsight improve too quickly, leaving them good but not in range of greatness.

It's simply too early to judge the rebuild. Too early. It must feel good to run around the room screaming, though. Lets a lot of emotion out and it feels as if you're really doing something. It's certainly possible that by 2012 we'll still be a not very good team. If that's true, we'll be able to judge the rebuild. Till then, there's no way to do it.

You've got to be kidding. Matt Ryan was a rookie, regardless of draft status and Chad Pennington was coming off his 31st shoulder surgery in 2008. Difference was, their coaching staffs planned around their limitations and found ways to put them into position to succeed. You don't need to be a SB contender to have completed a rebuild.

I would say that even though both teams stumbled in 2009, they're primed to be better than the failures they were before new regimes took over. And when I say new regime, I'm referring to new everything in the front office with complete support from the owner. That's what it takes to win in the NFL of 2010, not some half-measures like keeping the director of amateur scouting through 4 different GM's.

No, you can't completely judge the rebuild yet. But you can see some moves made that defy logic, are short sighted, or came in the regular season that should have been done earlier. As I said in another thread, guys like Mike Shanahan don't wait for Jason Campbell to stink before cutting him. He made the change when changes are made: in the off-season. And it's why a team in an equally difficult division, who changed their defense and offense, a coaching staff, and won fewer games last season than Buffalo will be better than the Bills the following season.

Edited by BillsVet

I see nothing positive in this season so far. Questionable moves, odd timing and a sense that no one is in charge. Some things that concern me greatly: (i) our young players seem to be regressing (i.e., Byrd, Levitre and Wood), (ii) replacements for players that were not re-signed or waived are not performing (i.e., Stevie Johnson), (iii) our rookies are barely having an impact, (iv) our defense is a disaster, and I am not sure if our defensive coordinator knows what he is doing, and (v) we do not have enough draft picks next year to fix this mess.

We are not rebuilding this year. As others have stated, we do not even have a nucleus for future success.