Well Sully is dead on this week.

DarthICE

No one is expecting a turn around in a matter of weeks, but after 10 years of futility, it is reasonable to want to believe that our current front office is competent. I understand that rebuilding the Bills is a huge undertaking, but we are not seeing any signs of progress, particularly on the field. We all knew the weaknesses going into the season, and if anything, we have more holes to fill now. Wanting to hear from the GM or the owner after losing the first four games seems like a reasonable thing to me. When we speak of accountability, most of us are not talking about firing Nix or Gailey, but the desire to hear that about the plan to improve the team, even if it is a repeat of prior statements. We also want to hear that losing is not acceptable, and resources will be made available to improve this team. Ultimately, we want to know that someone is in charge and that they care about the direction of this team and tne franchise. Buffalo fans worry about things that other fans do not need to think about (i.e., RW and the future of the franchise). More communication from the front office and the owner would certainly help.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is expecting a turn around in a matter of weeks, but after 10 years of futility, it is reasonable to want to believe that our current front office is competent. I understand that rebuilding the Bills is a huge undertaking, but we are not seeing any signs of progress, particularly on the field. We all knew the weaknesses going into the season, and if anything, we have more holes to fill now. Wanting to hear from the GM or the owner after losing the first four games seems like a reasonable thing to me. When we speak of accountability, most of us are not talking about firing Nix or Gailey, but the desire to hear that about the plan to improve the team, even if it is a repeat of prior statements. We also want to hear that losing is not acceptable, and resources will be made available to improve this team. Ultimately, we want to know that someone is in charge and that they care about the direction of this team and tne franchise. Buffalo fans worry about things that other fans do not need to think about (i.e., RW and the future of the franchise). More communication from the front office and the owner would certainly help.

well said but it will only help if the answers are in line with the fans expectations and i fear that they honestly aren't. for example,losing clearly has been acceptable over the 50 year history of the team. perhaps it's better that they say nothing than actually tell the truth.

well said but it will only help if the answers are in line with the fans expectations and i fear that they honestly aren't. for example,losing clearly has been acceptable over the 50 year history of the team. perhaps it's better that they say nothing than actually tell the truth.

Your reponse is dead-on with my view on the subject.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Nix and Gailey want to win, that losing leaves a foul taste in their mouths. They are probably more disgusted than most of us here.

However, I can't honestly say I believe that desire trickles down from ownership to the real power brokers in the Bills organization. Namely, the finance guys.

Unfortunately, for Nix and Gailey they work in an environment that puts constaints on their ability to do their jobs that other members of their profession in the league do not have to deal with in managing and coaching their respective teams. All the talk about high-profile candidates not wanted to come to Buffalo has less to do with the city and more to do with the organization.

In the end, Sullivan's flaming of Nix and Gailey only distracts attention from the real questions that need to be asked and answered, by ownership. Simply, is winning important and are you going to do all that it takes to get back to the Championship game? Did you really hire the most competent GM and coach or where you just unwilling to meet the market price for the top candidates?

I really don't get Ralph. If it is was me and I had the financial capacity and the desire to win the big one before I checked out I'd do everything possible. When your dead what does it matter if you die with $800 million or $780 million? You're still dead.

Appologize for getting a bit off topic.

"When he got the job, Nix said he's never been the smartest man in the room. Still, it would be nice to get him in the room once in awhile to confirm it."

Classic freeking line! :worthy:

"If Nix is such a good judge of talent, how come his second- and third-round picks -- linemen Torell Troup and Alex Carrington -- can't get on the field for the worst run defense in the NFL? Why give Chris Kelsay a four-year, $24-million extension at age 31?"

:bag:

We're arguing semantics. Whether or not fans are "entitled" to an explanation, it certainly would make good business sense.

It would not make business sense to grant Sullivan an interview of Nix. No matter what Nix said, Sullivan would portray it in an immensely negative fashion when relaying it to the fans. This is in line with the whiny douche theory.

How would this help business? And I hope you understand that Sullivan could give a crap about the organization's openness to the fans. He cares solely about himself. He is also more than happy to nit pick about which person is a spokesman. If Nix was doing all the talking, Jerry would be complaining about Gailey. Whoever it is will be the wrong one if you're a whiny douche.

There is always an opportunity to whine and complain in life. ALWAYS. Therefore he will never run out of material for his monotonous articles.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Sully's Dead On, Sully Nails It, Sully Says it Best, Can't Argue You With Sully, Sully's Got Gold-Plated Genitals, I mean c'mon! For some of the dolts on this message board it's a GD cult of personality with this guy. I get it, he's negative, you're negative, he's got the bully pulpit, you can't think for yourself, it's a perfect storm. But do we really need to zap his columns up here before the ink dries EVERY time he regurgitates the same doom and gloom scenarios that have already been discussed ad nauseam over and over and over again?

:worthy:

Dang man, almost got me in trouble at work! (not that I wouldn't have deserved it, but that's a different point of view that's not my favorite)

I certainly don't think that everything Sully says is worthless, but it sure is close. I DID like the line about showing up and proving he wasn't the smartest guy in the room.

I'd be shocked if Nix wasn't PO'd about how poorly we've looked, just like the rest of us.

How would this help business? And I hope you understand that Sullivan could give a crap about the organization's openness to the fans. He cares solely about himself. He is also more than happy to nit pick about which person is a spokesman. If Nix was doing all the talking, Jerry would be complaining about Gailey. Whoever it is will be the wrong one if you're a whiny douche.

Take the New York Mets this year. The team melted down once again and the Wilpons were no where to be found. The stadium was literally empty (because fans there have some balls) by the end of the year and all the fans wanted to hear was if they had a plan for the future.

Last week Fred Wilpon comes out after firing Minaya and the first thing he does is apologize to the fans for being absent and unavailable admitting that it was bad business.

If Nix is this big tough guy that so many wish that he was, he could handle a few tough questions from Sully. Not to comment on the Kelsay deal is absurd. There is not a fan in that stadium that didn't think that the deal was insane. Starting Trent and giving him all of the reps over the last 6 months just to cut him 3 weeks into the season doesn't warrant an explanation? Trading Lynch 4 weeks in when they could have done it months ago?

If not Sully, then get Kilgore or Murphy to sit down and toss a few softballs at least. Hell, I think it should be a town-hall format.

Silence is always an indictment. Just ask the Wilpons. :bag:

No NFL GM has to explain stuff to the fans. Just in dysfunctional Buffalo where the crazy fans are whipped up by crazy columnists. Only in Buffalo do the fans and media expect things to turn around in weeks.

You want to fire Nix and Gailey 5 weeks into the season? Fine. Just don't expect ANYONE GOOD to want to work here! What kind of crazy franchise pulls the plug after 5 weeks? Why it's the Buffalo Bills and their insane fans and media! Like the national media doesn't have enough to laugh at us about.

PTR

Total agreement with PTR, a great voice of reason around here for the most part.

What are these things that Nix has to become accountable for? Sullivan is the same asshat who went on the air on WGR last year and lambasted the Byrd draft pick in association with Maybin, then practically performed fellatio on the guy a month later.

This is the same guy who acts like Fred Jackson's 1,000/1,000 is some league-altering statistic, completely ignoring the fact that he only had the opportunity to return kick offs because of how awful the team was and how much of it was hurt.

Enough already with this clown. About a week ago, another poster on here made a thread that predicted that the second that Lynch was traded, the media that had been asking why he hadn't been traded would begin to question if Nix got enough and what took so long. So what's the alternative? Not trade him at all, so they can then continue to B word about that?

The fact of the matter is, Sullivan is constantly pissed off about the notion that the people in charge at One Bills Drive don't do exactly what he thinks, all of the time, because he is naturally the smartest guy in the room.

Randy Moss, a much better player still than Lynch, with Minnesota desperate for a deep threat, could only garner a 3rd-round-pick. Is it not at all possible that this is the best deal that Buffalo could get for Lynch, and that they weren't getting this deal in the off-season?

I refuse to believe that Nix decided to wait until October to pull the trigger on a deal when the same deal was available in August.

He now thinks Spiller was a reach @ 9? WTF?

Completely uncalled for. Absolutely no one called Spiller a reach at 9. No one. The reason to question the pick was the number of needs elsewhere.

What is more painful: watching the Bills or reading these writers B word and moan about the Bills? There comes a time when you have to walk away from both to save your sanity.

No NFL GM has to explain stuff to the fans. Just in dysfunctional Buffalo where the crazy fans are whipped up by crazy columnists. Only in Buffalo do the fans and media expect things to turn around in weeks.

You're right, it's the fans fault for the absolute debacle that is and continues to be this franchise. The perennial laughing stock of the NFL can just ignore the fans while the stadium stays filled and merch is flying off of the shelves.

Maybe you've noticed PTR, that 3 very significant moves have been made and barely a peep has come out of that big mouth of Buddy Nix. Is it not fair to want to know why the hell they extended Kelsay? Waited to long to trade Lynch? Cut Trent after giving him the majority of reps and named him the starter? But all of these questionable moves are the fans fault..right? You are truly a joke of a lemming.

Lastly, nobody "good" wants to work here because this organization is a screaming joke. Not because of the fans you arrogant idiot.

Do any of us really know anything? :wallbash:

You definitely do not. That much is clear.

After a decade plus of garbage football the burden of proof is on the Buffalo Bills.

Not the fans. It is not our fault contrary to your fan hate.

When the Bills produce a winner.......... or cease to be a for-profit organization($39M last season)............. then it will be reasonable to not criticize their futility or question their direction.

Take the New York Mets this year. The team melted down once again and the Wilpons were no where to be found. The stadium was literally empty (because fans there have some balls) by the end of the year and all the fans wanted to hear was if they had a plan for the future.

Last week Fred Wilpon comes out after firing Minaya and the first thing he does is apologize to the fans for being absent and unavailable admitting that it was bad business.

If Nix is this big tough guy that so many wish that he was, he could handle a few tough questions from Sully. Not to comment on the Kelsay deal is absurd. There is not a fan in that stadium that didn't think that the deal was insane. Starting Trent and giving him all of the reps over the last 6 months just to cut him 3 weeks into the season doesn't warrant an explanation? Trading Lynch 4 weeks in when they could have done it months ago?

If not Sully, then get Kilgore or Murphy to sit down and toss a few softballs at least. Hell, I think it should be a town-hall format.

Silence is always an indictment. Just ask the Wilpons. :bag:

I really get what you are saying, but I would not use the Mets as an example. The Bills are not in a financial mess because Wilson was scammed by a con-artist, and on the opposite end of the example, the Mets are not in danger of leaving. These are two very very different teams and circumstances.

PTR

I understand you think of yourself as a voice of reason on this board. And generally I agree with your viewpoint. But, there is a difference between being the voice of reason and letting your contrarian viewpoint get the better of you.

I forget the specifics of what you said and I don't feel like going back through the thread to find the quote, but I believe it was something along the lines of ridiculing fans and the media for being frustrated, specifically at Nix.

I have to say, if you don't think this organization deserves utter disdain from both its fans and the media, you have your head way up your ass. At least on paper (perhaps not in practice) all football related decisions begin and end with Buddy Nix. Since the time of his last official chat with the media or press conference, the Bills have released their starting QB, traded their starting RB and started the season 0-4. The fans deserve to know what is going on if they intend to pay for tickets or merchandise. This bullsh*t has gone on for a decade. If you don't think this is the time to be frustrated with the management...no matter how long they've had to get things in order, then I don't know if there will ever be a time to get frustrated in your opinion.

That statement is as logical as a crackhead demanding to know how their dealer attained the crack and demanding to know how the cocaine is cooked. What possible reason would a dealer give a crackhead that information?

Tickets will be bought and merchandise will be sold whether Nix explains his moves or not.

The average fan is little to no basis to judge the moves that are being made so why would a franchise give unqualified people information that they don't completely understand. The same way the average crackhead isn't qualified to judge the quality of the crack by the dangerous chemicals that are used to cook the crack.

Give Nix 3-4 years, if we go from 2-14, to 9-7 and a wild card in that timespan he has accomplished something. If not, well I don't even want to think about 20 years of not making the playoffs. :sick: