No hope for Maybin

Name one Buffalo Bill drafted in the first round that showed so little in the first 2 years that eventually became a productive player worthy of a number 1 selection? Excluding a season long injury. Example: Willis McGahee

Some played okay but made slow progress. Maybin has shown absolutely nothing.

Keep in mind the guy has a huge contract as well. NO PROGRESS, BIG PAYCHECK= BYE BYE :flirt:

blame DJ for drafting a 19 year old Sophomore. maybin should be in his senior year @ Penn tate this year not the NFL.

they will not cut him until after next year that is IF he fails nest year.

he just turned 22,its not his fault that the bills picked a 19 year old kid to come in and play in the NFL.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

blame DJ for drafting a 19 year old Sophomore. maybin should be in his senior year @ Penn tate this year not the NFL.

he just turned 22,its not his fault that the bills picked a 19 year old kid to come in and play in the NFL.

You do have a valid point and I hope you are right but.......Thats a lot of money my friend!

Moulds didn't have a breakout year until his third season, but that is pretty standard for his position. Receivers traditionally take three seasons. However defensive ends are expected to be more prepared for the NFL. But Maybin is undergoing a position change and some consideration should be given to that.

Halfbacks are supposed to be the easiest position to transition to professional football yet it took O.J. Simpson several years to begin producing like the collegiate star he had been. Some of that is that the team was poor, but O.J. actually lost a lot of carries to bigger backs like Wayne Patrick, Bill Enyart, and Jim Braxton. Guys that actually often managed higher yards per carry than Simpson. Of course O.J. went on to be maybe the best player in Bills history and one the best in NFL history.

Your view on Moulds is skewed by hindsight. If this board existed in 2007, Moulds would have been subject to the same treatment as Maybin.

The board did exist back then, and he received plenty of criticism. The thing is, the Bills were pretty good in 1996, and Moulds was a good kick returner that year. In 1997 people blamed Todd Collins.

Edited by dave mcbride

Moulds didn't have a breakout year until his third season, but that is pretty standard for his position. Receivers traditionally take three seasons. However defensive ends are expected to be more prepared for the NFL. But Maybin is undergoing a position change and some consideration should be given to that.

Halfbacks are supposed to be the easiest position to transition to professional football yet it took O.J. Simpson several years to begin producing like the collegiate star he had been. Some of that is that the team was poor, but O.J. actually lost a lot of carries to bigger backs like Wayne Patrick, Bill Enyart, and Jim Braxton. Guys that actually often managed higher yards per carry than Simpson. Of course O.J. went on to be maybe the best player in Bills history and one the best in NFL history.

Lou Saban built an Offensive line specially design for O.J. Simpson, the Electric Company.

The team was pretty much built around Simpson, I doubt Chan Gailey builds a defensive line around Maybin :rolleyes:

With a player like Maybin, it's a gamble either way. If you cut him, another team with more talent around him might allow him to develop, or he might develop here. It's a lot to gamble when the FO drafted the guy so high. There was no question in my mind he was 3rd round worthy, but that's just my view.

Rex Ryan would turn Maqybin into the next Lawrence Taylor some how and we will never live it down.

This!

What is disturbing is that he hasnt added much bulk, production aside given his current physical attributes would he be a first rounder 2011 draft? The latter is what DJ gambled on.

I say juice him good.

Edited by bladiebla

Here's some more fuel for the fire re: Maybin. Check out this letter to Peter King today:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/05/Rams/index.html

GOOD POINTS, AND I OWE THE BRONCOS A MEA CULPA. "Interesting stuff on the Cutler-Orton comparison. As a Denver fan, I honestly would not take Cutler for Orton straight up at this point. One issue I have is this comment: 'Denver has not drafted well [...] Denver didn't do a good job with those picks.' I am sorry, but that is simply ignorant.

"Robert Ayers, has been beastly against the run this season. He was a big reason Denver shut down Chris Johnson on Sunday with three tackles for loss. I hope you did more research than lazily peruse the stats and see that he has only one sack. With Chicago's No. 12 pick in this draft, they moved down to No. 22 and selected DeMaryius Thomas, who looks like a future star. With one of the picks acquired in the trade down, they selected the promising WR Eric Decker. And part of the trade-down haul put them in position to select Tebow.

"The only pick that looks 'bad' from the Cutler trade at this point is Richard Quinn, who Denver traded up for with the 2009 third-rounder. Doesn't look like a bad haul at all to me overall. Quite the opposite. Please do a little more research before making these blanket statements that make you look ignorant.''

-- Todd, Florence, S.C.

I regret writing what I wrote in that sentence in the Cutler-Orton comparison, because as you accurately point out, it was wrong. The reason I wrote it was I had it in my head that the lost Alphonso Smith pick was a part of their 2010 draft, and though technically it was, it was no reason to declare their 2010 haul a bad one. (The Broncos traded their first-round pick in 2010 to Seattle in 2009 to acquire a high second-round pick that became Smith, and the Broncos gave up on Smith after one season and dealt him to Detroit for the second-to-last pick of the 2009 draft, Dan Gronkowski.) Thanks for calling me on it.

With a player like Maybin, it's a gamble either way. If you cut him, another team with more talent around him might allow him to develop, or he might develop here. It's a lot to gamble when the FO drafted the guy so high. There was no question in my mind he was 3rd round worthy, but that's just my view.

Third round was about right. I couldn't see the difference between Maybin and Michael Johnson, who went to Cinci in the third. Both were gifted athletes who had some issues. Mabin was too young (and small IMO at his "true weight") and had only produced for a year or so. Johnson appeared to have occasional motivational problems, but also had off the charts measurables. Johnson is now playing well for the Bengals. Maybin, well, the only way he seems to see the field is close up with his face in the dirt.

The Moulds comparisons are off base, because his lack of performance was due to Levy keeping him on the sidelines. Call it lack of trust, dedication, immaturity, etc. But in the rare chances he got on the field, he performed well and broke out when Phillips gave him the opportunity. We're not seeing anything with Maybin when he's on the field.

Well, there was a RB once who won the Heisman and was picked number 1 overall by a very bad team. His new coach used him as a decoy, his OL was terrible and he was feasted on by AFL defenses. Indeed, by the end of his second season, 'BUST' was being whispered throughout the now NFL.

A new coach (actually 2 new coaches) later, a draft emphsis on getting stronger up front and VOILA! NFL Superstardom.

Maybin has mad physical skills. He's under contract for a few more years so let's just see if the Bills -with a new coach- draft with emphasis on getting stronger in front of him before passing judgement.

The Moulds comparisons are off base, because his lack of performance was due to Levy keeping him on the sidelines. Call it lack of trust, dedication, immaturity, etc. But in the rare chances he got on the field, he performed well and broke out when Phillips gave him the opportunity. We're not seeing anything with Maybin when he's on the field.

Good point. Not to mention that Moulds came to a good team, so there wasn't any reason to rush him into the lineup. Unlike today, where the Bills are a bottom-feeder and if a 1st round pick can't even get on the field ahead of talentless stiffs, well, that's not a real good thing.

Still, the original question only qualified injury. So Moulds is the perfect counter-example to the OP's question. It just wasn't as great a question as he thought. **** happens.

If and when he get's on the field.

He was 19 last year and is now 22 years old? So it's 2012 now? Was there a lockout in 2011? Is Ralph still alive? I must have fallen asleep. Damned Quaaludes.

Edited by ConradDobler