The REAL trade Buffalo made...

Thoner7

Cant judge this trade until you see who we draft with that pick and whatever the conditional pick is (or who we get if we use the picks to move up for someone) Modrak's history of drafting is rough, but Nix might help mitigate that and maybe we get an impact player at that spot.

Its always a mistake to pick RB's so high when your lines on both sides of the ball are in such need of upgrading. Duh.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Seahawks have a bunch of backs, Cowboys have 3 RB's this season, the Giants used "Earth, Wind, & Fire" in their Superbowl year...........

Agreed. Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook and Correll Buckhalter did well for a while.

First, we all must accept that the Bills would have never moved Lynch if they didnt draft Spiller. This is very easy to accept and no one who has a clue could argue this.

At the end of 2009 the Bills had:

Marshawn Lynch

the 9th overall pick in the draft

In 2010 the bills have:

CJ Spiller

4th round pick

THE BILLS TRADED MARSHAWN LYNCH AND A TOP 10 PICK FOR CP SPILLER AND A 4TH ROUNDER.

Worst. Trade. EVER. :sick:

or if you cancel out the Top 10 pick on one side and Spiller on the other side, then you are left with.... wait for it...

THE BILLS TRADED MARSHAWN LYNCH FOR A 4TH ROUNDER.

so by this logic you can also say:

THE BILLS TRADED MARSHAWN LYNCH AND A 7TH ROUND PICK FOR LEVI BROWN AND A 4TH ROUNDER. There now it sounds like a better deal. Got a QB which we need and moved up 3 rounds!

What if he learned his lesson and runs for over 1,000 yards and 10 TD's for the next 5 years? What if Spiller has maybe one good year as a RB and becomes merely just a good return guy?

So far Spiller has been great as a return guy, but as a RB he is a liability out there when he isn't given the ball cause he blocks worse then Betty White out there

This deal also cost the Bills Joique Bell, if it was made sooner they could have kept him on their active roster instead of giving him away to the Eagles

That is another point that has to be made.

make that Lynhc, Bell, and the 9th overall pick for Spiller and a 4th rounder.

And yes, these moves are linked together, because Nix is building a roster. A complete football roster. Not making random un related personal moves. This combined with resignng Kelsay has to be the worst FO season ever.

This may have already been said, I didn't read every post. However, the thing that I am most upset about is that it was reported that Buffalo turned down offers for a third round pick in return for molds around the draft. A few months down the road, winless and now we take a 4th rounder. It's just frustrating.

I see this trade as a mistake but for a different rationale. They have been linked to trading Lynch all off season and into the season. They vehemently denied that they were trying, but as it turns out they were trying to move him. That's fine, I know you don't publicly state you're trying to trade a player.

But here's my issue. You held onto Marshawn, knowing you were trying to trade him. Started him the last three games pissing off your number one back (Jackson), let Joique Bell walk out the door, so now we are at the very least not as good without him, all for a 4th round pick? That's what you did all that for? Baffling.

Do you think Freddy is pissed? This guy has overcome obstacle after obstacle. You don't do that by pouting when you're down. He knew it was just a matter of time. Jackson, almost surely, knew more than he let on.

or if you cancel out the Top 10 pick on one side and Spiller on the other side, then you are left with.... wait for it...

THE BILLS TRADED MARSHAWN LYNCH FOR A 4TH ROUNDER.

so by this logic you can also say:

THE BILLS TRADED MARSHAWN LYNCH AND A 7TH ROUND PICK FOR LEVI BROWN AND A 4TH ROUNDER. There now it sounds like a better deal. Got a QB which we need and moved up 3 rounds!

BUT IF BUFFALO DIDN'T DRAFT SPILLER, THEY WOULDN'T BE TRADING MARSHAWN RIGHT NOW, SO THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS CORRECT

Your Logic doesn't compare because those 2 moves are unrelated, just because they draft Brown it doesn't mean they would be trading Lynch.

We have to remember we traded Marshawn after getting some mileage out of him and that he is one suspension away from some big trouble. I'm not a fan of the trade, but if we're going to give a fair analysis we should include all the variables we can think of.

We have to remember we traded Marshawn after getting some mileage out of him and that he is one suspension away from some big trouble. I'm not a fan of the trade, but if we're going to give a fair analysis we should include all the variables we can think of.

How much mileage did they really get out of him, he's still 24? and isn't Ricky Williams "just one screw up away from Big Trouble" too? He seems to have learned a lesson, maybe Lynch has done the same?

First, we all must accept that the Bills would have never moved Lynch if they didnt draft Spiller. This is very easy to accept and no one who has a clue could argue this.

Marshawn Lynch

In 2010 the bills have:

CJ Spiller

4th round pick

THE BILLS TRADED MARSHAWN LYNCH AND A TOP 10 PICK FOR CP SPILLER AND A 4TH ROUNDER.

Now we have Spiller, Freddy and extra 4th round pick and probably the # 1 pick in 11' draft. Works for me atleast we are cleanin house and hopefuly making a competitive team.

Cant judge this trade until you see who we draft with that pick and whatever the conditional pick is (or who we get if we use the picks to move up for someone) Modrak's history of drafting is rough, but Nix might help mitigate that and maybe we get an impact player at that spot.

Its always a mistake to pick RB's so high when your lines on both sides of the ball are in such need of upgrading. Duh.

????

So if they had gotten the first pick of the draft for Lynch but it turned out to be a bust then this trade would suck, but if the Bills hit the jackpot with one of these middle round picks it's a great trade?

You wanna buy some real estate? I have a great deal for you! Send me a personal message, I really wanna work out a deal with you, and it's a no brainer!!!!!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

BUT IF BUFFALO DIDN'T DRAFT SPILLER, THEY WOULDN'T BE TRADING MARSHAWN RIGHT NOW, SO THE ORIGINAL POSTER IS CORRECT

Your Logic doesn't compare because those 2 moves are unrelated, just because they draft Brown it doesn't mean they would be trading Lynch.

First of all, they were going to get Spiller unless Trent Williams fell and secondly, the Trade lynch banter was going on before Spiller showed up. OP trying to make this into more than it is. Spiller is as similar to Lynch as Lee Evans is to Shawn Nelson. The fact that this was the deal speaks plenty to what was though of his abilities.

I agree with you. Not only poor vision, but lack of desire to hit the hole immediately. I'm sure he will do well at Seattle behind a competent line, but his time here was limited with that acquisition of Spiller.

Now, all we need is to teach Spiller to run forward, and not backward.

Just about all of you are missing the point here. There should have been absolutely NO reason to trade Marshawn because we should not have drafted Spiller. We did not need Spiller. Marshawn is an excellent RB. When he gets carries and decent blocking, he is very very good. And all of you who say he is about to be suspended for a year-what are you talking about? Lots of NFL players get in trouble at one time or another. What makes you think that he is going to get in serious trouble. (Just like Anthony Hargrove who is having a great career in New Orleans) Were any of you at the game on Sunday? The O line was HORRIBLE. They are pretty bad on most days. Give Lynch a good O line and he will run for 1,500 yards. Buddy Nix should have been fired for drafting Spiller. This team has absolutely no plan whatsoever. We are the laughing stock of the league. It was NOT Marshawn's fault. Most players do not shine in Buffalo. The best is not brought out in any of them. This trade had to be made because of the total ineptness of Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey. They forced this move from the moment they drafted Spiller.

We were completely outmanned in both of our homegames from the opening kickoff by the Fish and Jets. Was management looking at the toughness of the teams in our division when they started to build this team? Obviously not. We are so lacking in toughness it is pathetic. The first to go should have been Lee Evans. No receiver fights less for the football than this guy. And it goes from there. (no physically less imposing defense in the league) Lynch is one tough hombre. But all good players eventually leave Buffalo for a better place.

First of all, they were going to get Spiller unless Trent Williams fell and secondly, the Trade lynch banter was going on before Spiller showed up. OP trying to make this into more than it is. Spiller is as similar to Lynch as Lee Evans is to Shawn Nelson. The fact that this was the deal speaks plenty to what was though of his abilities.

Exactly, they wanted Spiller to replace Lynch, and the trade Lynch talk only came from disgruntled fans on internet message boards who thought the bills could survive with just Jackson and some scrubs and were too afraid that Lynch would get a year suspension.

The Bills moved Lynch because they drafted Spiller, had they drafted Williams or someone else and didn't bring in another RB, Lynch wouldn't have been moved, its the reason why Spiller was brought in.

they didn't trade Lynch because he and Spiller are the same style RB, they traded him because they wanted a RB like Spiller and having 3 good RB's allowed them to move one of them.

Just about all of you are missing the point here. There should have been absolutely NO reason to trade Marshawn because we should not have drafted Spiller. We did not need Spiller. Marshawn is an excellent RB. When he gets carries and decent blocking, he is very very good. And all of you who say he is about to be suspended for a year-what are you talking about? Lots of NFL players get in trouble at one time or another. What makes you think that he is going to get in serious trouble. (Just like Anthony Hargrove who is having a great career in New Orleans) Were any of you at the game on Sunday? The O line was HORRIBLE. They are pretty bad on most days. Give Lynch a good O line and he will run for 1,500 yards. Buddy Nix should have been fired for drafting Spiller. This team has absolutely no plan whatsoever. We are the laughing stock of the league. It was NOT Marshawn's fault. Most players do not shine in Buffalo. The best is not brought out in any of them. This trade had to be made because of the total ineptness of Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey. They forced this move from the moment they drafted Spiller.

We were completely outmanned in both of our homegames from the opening kickoff by the Fish and Jets. Was management looking at the toughness of the teams in our division when they started to build this team? Obviously not. We are so lacking in toughness it is pathetic. The first to go should have been Lee Evans. No receiver fights less for the football than this guy. And it goes from there. (no physically less imposing defense in the league) Lynch is one tough hombre. But all good players eventually leave Buffalo for a better place.

Lynch ran for over 1,000 yards for 2 years before last season, he had one bad year last year after he had to miss 4 games due to suspension. If he got into serious trouble again he would have been suspended for a year, but you are right, guys like Hargrove, and Ricky Williams are both in similar situations.

if it wasn't for the inept Offence and QB, the Bills could have beat the Dolphins at the opener, the next 3 they didn't have a chance in

Do you think Freddy is pissed? This guy has overcome obstacle after obstacle. You don't do that by pouting when you're down. He knew it was just a matter of time. Jackson, almost surely, knew more than he let on.

I think he has to be. I out play your number one pick, he's constantly in trouble, I've done all the right things, now you're starting him? And it appears the only reason you were doing that was to showcase him? I had to sit for you to get rid of a player you didn't want? So me and the Rook had to sit here wondering what the hell is going on?

I think he has to be. I out play your number one pick, he's constantly in trouble, I've done all the right things, now you're starting him? And it appears the only reason you were doing that was to showcase him? I had to sit for you to get rid of a player you didn't want? So me and the Rook had to sit here wondering what the hell is going on?

Does anyone stop and think that the reason Freddie has spent so much time on the bench is because his hand isn't 100% healed and they don't want to risk him breaking it again, or possibly fumbling the ball cause he can't get a good grip on it?

Marshawn Lynch

In 2010 the bills have:

CJ Spiller

4th round pick

Except that Lynch was riding pine behind a walk on and wasn't going to resigned at the end of his contract anyway. We got something for an average RB that we wouldn't have if we didn't draft spiller and just let ML walk after the end of the 2011 season.

I made this same exact observation in the Chat box earlier today. The OP is spot on.

But really, the thing that irks me about this trade is not ML per se. He is a very good back. But what ticks me off is how we got here. If I were taking over as Bills HC, I'd first make a list of our strengths and weaknesses and try to address them in the off season. My strength list would look like this:

RB

DB

KO returner

Punt returner

Kickers

The rest including WR, OL, DL, LB would be weaknesses. So what do we do? With the #9 pick in the draft we take a guy that does 2 of our strengths (RB and Kick returner) WE DON'T NEED THESE.

So, 4 weeks into the season we have to have a fire sale to get rid one of our best guys because we're overloaded at one position of strength.

For this team this year, we didn't need an upgrade at RB. We needed upgrades everywhere else. We could have instead gotten any of the following to help our weak points - Iupati, Baluga, Dez Bryant,Maurice Pounsey, Weatherspoon. Any of these guys could have helped us in areas of need. We'd be better off with one of these guys and ML.

Instead of adding one of these guys we got rid of a very servicable RB who was just fine for us and got a 4th round pick. Net net - lose ML and gain Spiller (what did we gain that can help us in the short term really?) and a 4th and 5th or 6th pick.

I'm trying to be positive about Coach Gailey and Nix, but it's getting very hard. that and whole deal of us only adding Levi Brown in the QB dept (one of our biggest weaknesses) makes me think these guys don't have a clue.