MLB Playoffs Set To Go

BS - I, and a lot of people I know, love and watch baseball playoffs no matter who is in it........What you're saying is true of the NHL, but not of MLB. Not by a long shot.

When you're wrong, you're wrong. Your sample size of you and your friends is underwhelming in view of the actual facts. Turns out I was wrong too: Even in cities with teams in the MLB playoffs, football outdrew baseball. Ouch...MLB interest is worse than I could ever have guessed. Watch out MLB, soccer is on your heels.

By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

When it comes to the hometown fans, MLB playoff action isn't much of a match for the NFL's regular-season.

Consider that Sunday and Monday, only one MLB team — the Philadelphia Phillies— managed to outdraw its local NFL counterpart on local TV. Even the Yankees couldn't completely win New Yorkers' hearts and TV remotes. Consider:

•Sunday's TBS Tampa Bay Rays-Texas Rangers drew 11.1% of households in the Tampa area. But the NFL Buccaneers, playing Cincinnati on Fox in the same time slot, drew 15.1%.

In the Dallas area, that MLB game drew 9.7% of local households while the NFL Cowboys — playing Tennessee on CBS in a later time slot — drew a local Dallas TV rating more than three times bigger —34.1%.

•Sunday's TBS San Francisco Giants-Atlanta Braves game drew 12.7% in Atlanta. The Falcons, playing earlier in the afternoon at Cleveland on Fox, drew 20.3%

The MLB/NFL gap was almost as big in San Francisco Sunday night when the Giants drew 12.7% locally. But the winless 49ers — albeit on prime time on NBC— drew 19% of Bay Area households.

•The Yankees, albeit in ratings matchups with the NFL that weren't head-to-head, didn't homer. Games in their sweep of the Minnesota Twins averaged 11.9% in the New York area. That topped the 11.3% that the New York Giants drew locally playing at Houston on Fox. But the Jets, in prime time against the Vikings Monday, drew 15.8% in New York.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2010-10-12-nfl-beats-mlb-ratings_N.htm

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you're wrong, you're wrong. Your sample size of you and your friends is underwhelming in view of the actual facts. Turns out I was wrong too: Even in cities with teams in the MLB playoffs, football outdrew baseball. Ouch...MLB interest is worse than I could ever have guessed. Watch out MLB, soccer is on your heels.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2010-10-12-nfl-beats-mlb-ratings_N.htm

Too bad I'm not wrong - I never said football wasn't more popular and that's why I didn't quote the second part of your post........So, turn on Colin tomorrow and you can hear him tell you how great everything big is - football, big markets, etc.....So, football is the biggest, so that means everything else sucks, especially his (and I guess your) whipping boys - baseball and hockey (and Buffalo)......Gotta love frontrunners.

Edited by bbb

http://www.usatoday....b-ratings_N.htm

Yeah and popular music sucks too.

Edited by Chef Jim

Someone had the following Earl Weaver quote as their signature line. I think it's fantastic:

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."

More wisdom from they guy Ron Luciano called "Baseball's Yoda":

"On my tombstone just write, 'The sorest loser that ever lived.'"

"The job of arguing with the umpire belongs to the manager, because it won't hurt the team if he gets thrown out of the game."

"The key to winning baseball games is pitching, fundamentals, and three run homers."

"The only thing that matters is what happens on the little hump out in the middle of the field."

Read further if you're interested

:worthy::thumbsup:

Watch out MLB, soccer is on your heels.

I thought about this part - soccer? Hahahaha. Cities whose teams are in it don't even care. I have no idea if the MLS is playing right now, if they're in playoffs, regular season, when it starts, when it ends, etc.

Soccer would have a way to go to get to hockey, then basketball, before it is at MLB's heels.

Too bad I'm not wrong - I never said football wasn't more popular and that's why I didn't quote the second part of your post........So, turn on Colin tomorrow and you can hear him tell you how great everything big is - football, big markets, etc.....So, football is the biggest, so that means everything else sucks, especially his (and I guess your) whipping boys - baseball and hockey (and Buffalo)......Gotta love frontrunners.

If you want to rip Cowherd there's a million different directions you could go - like his retarded argument that Mark Sanchez is better than Aaron Rodgers.

But he is right about this - if baseball or hockey were more popular, him & his colleagues would talk about it more. They don't because they would be out of a job with no ratings. If you want to hear baseball talk, stream WFAN, and WGR for hockey. That's what I do.

If you want to rip Cowherd there's a million different directions you could go - like his retarded argument that Mark Sanchez is better than Aaron Rodgers.

But he is right about this - if baseball or hockey were more popular, him & his colleagues would talk about it more. They don't because they would be out of a job with no ratings. If you want to hear baseball talk, stream WFAN, and WGR for hockey. That's what I do.

I'm sorry, but there are a million and one ways to rip Cowherd. If he wants to talk football all day long, I don't care. (I don't listen to him anymore anyway - Tony Kornheiser at the same time is in a different world than Cowherd). He does not have to belittle the 2nd most popular sport all the time, though, just to brag how he talks so much football.

I really could not believe it that he was doing it again, just when I accidently had him on due to my clock radio going off.

The way he does it is so bogus, too. I remember on Labor Day two years ago, he opens the show something like this (CC Sabathia had lost a no hitter on a bunt that could have been called an error): "Wow, Alabama-Clemson, Florida Gators, getting ready for Week One of the NFL Season. And, what baseball want to talk about - a bunt. Ha - what a joke".........You can just as easily say Wow, the Brewers controversial one hitter, Yankees-Red Sox, Giants-Dodgers, and what does football want me to talk about - a missed field goal by a 5'8" kicker - what a joke!

But, his delivery is so good, that I'm sure he convinces a lot of people that yeah, baseball is a joke.

He also praises the in home TV experience over going to games. So, my fear is that people give him credence, and soon there'll be nobody in the stands and we'd all be watching football only on his Vizio's he pitches.

Baseball is still and will always be the national pastime... It is played everyday from April to the first of October... Then the playoffs/WS to early November... That is almost 8 months. The only break in there is around the All-Star game when all teams get a day. Want a game to pass the time... You can find it anytime... Even during the day and normal working hours.

Why wait around till Sunday... Monday... And sometimes Thursday?

Baseball is still and will always be the national pastime... It is played everyday from April to the first of October... Then the playoffs/WS to early November... That is almost 8 months. The only break in there is around the All-Star game when all teams get a day. Want a game to pass the time... You can find it anytime... Even during the day and normal working hours.

Why wait around till Sunday... Monday... And sometimes Thursday?

Yup - that is why I love it so much. I listen to every Yankee game while I'm working. It's the only game you can pass the time doing that. The other games, esp. hockey and basketball, are next to impossible to follow on radio, unless you are paying strict attention.......With baseball, I get my work done and enjoy the game at the same time!

Yup - that is why I love it so much. I listen to every Yankee game while I'm working. It's the only game you can pass the time doing that. The other games, esp. hockey and basketball, are next to impossible to follow on radio, unless you are paying strict attention.......With baseball, I get my work done and enjoy the game at the same time!

Ooooh, you're a Yankees fan. No wonder you're so sore. Boy you guys are in trouble now with your top two pitchers in the s--ter. Funny how after getting crushed, all the Yankees fans got real quiet.

Yes, you're right, you can do anything with baseball on in the background and miss nothing. What an endorsement!

On to actual baseball talk. I wonder if Cliff Lee will repeat his 2009 WS Game 1 performance tonight. Let's hope so.

Why do you care? I thought baseball sucked.

Baseball playoffs are fun.

And I watch soccer too. Doesn't mean that soccer, hockey, and baseball are not lesser sports. The "baseball is a thriving amazing pristine American past time" crowd has blinders on. Baseball is a slow and dying sport. Still has its fun moments.

Ooooh, you're a Yankees fan. No wonder you're so sore. Boy you guys are in trouble now with your top two pitchers in the s--ter. Funny how after getting crushed, all the Yankees fans got real quiet.

Yes, you're right, you can do anything with baseball on in the background and miss nothing. What an endorsement!

I'm not sore. My point is that Cowherd is an asshat, and you think he's spot on.........Baseball is unique in that it's great live, great on TV and also great on the radio. None of the other sports are like that. Because you know exactly what the situation is at all times........Try listening to a Sabres game, even without doing work at the time. You won't even know the score, much less what is happening on the ice, how much time is left, and other somewhat valuable information.

Of course, with your beloved soccer, you wouldn't have that problem - you already know the score is 0-0 no matter what's going on.

I'm not sore. My point is that Cowherd is an asshat, and you think he's spot on.........Baseball is unique in that it's great live, great on TV and also great on the radio. None of the other sports are like that. Because you know exactly what the situation is at all times........Try listening to a Sabres game, even without doing work at the time. You won't even know the score, much less what is happening on the ice, how much time is left, and other somewhat valuable information.

Of course, with your beloved soccer, you wouldn't have that problem - you already know the score is 0-0 no matter what's going on.

Yeah, baseball on TV is flat out AMAZING! Even the World Series ratings are on a long decline.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/ws/wstv.shtml

Saying things like "you think [Colin Cowherd]'s spot on" when I said I never listened exposes the usual approach of a baseball fan. Defend, deny, and then make things up. You have a nice little game in baseball. It's fun in the playoffs. America is moving on from it. That's all we're talking about. It's not the end of the world and you'll be OK.

You're sore about the Yankees losing all right. Seeing Andy Petite starting to show his age and fail hurts. You can admit it.

Edited by Peace

Yeah, baseball on TV is flat out AMAZING! Even the World Series ratings are on a long decline.

Saying things like "you think [Colin Cowherd]'s spot on" when I said I never listened exposes the usual approach of a baseball fan. Defend, deny, and then make things up. You have a nice little game in baseball. It's fun in the playoffs. America is moving on from it. That's all we're talking about. It's not the end of the world and you'll be OK.

You're sore about the Yankees losing all right. Seeing Andy Petite starting to show his age and fail hurts. You can admit it.

I didn't see where you said you didn't listen to Cowherd, Adams. I thought you were defending him.

You do know that everything but football is in a decline ratings-wise, right? There are now about a million channels on TV to choose from........Baseball attendence figures seem pretty good. I find it amazing that a team can play 81 home games, and yet still get about 40K to the park every night, which a good number do. When I was a kid (early 70s), I remember them making a big deal about some team having 1M fans in a season. Now, the lowest ranked teams get over 1M.

Yeah, Andy really failed - he pitched awesome in the DS and gets his first CS start tonight. But, thanks for playing.

Edited by bbb

I didn't see where you said you didn't listen to Cowherd, Adams. I thought you were defending him.

You do know that everything but football is in a decline ratings-wise, right?

For all your insulting Cowherd talking out his butt, you are doing it yourself.

Hockey ratings are not in decline:

Soccer ratings for the World Cup this year set sport records. Major League Soccer ratings are flat while attendance is up.

http://www.blnz.com/news/2010/04/22/appears_expand_Montreal_3367.html

MLB, however: In decline. (Also NBA.)

http://www.baseball-...m/ws/wstv.shtml

What purpose is this conversation serving, really? Do you derive some sort of personal pleasure by parroting Cowherd?

In the end, who really cares about TV ratings for baseball, other than MLB and the networks? I couldn't give less of a damn, I love it.

Since you guys are conflating quality with popularity, I'd like to remind you that the #1 television show in America is usually "Two and a Half Men".

By "you guys" I assume you mean Peace.

Because I, for one, have enjoyed MLB more than the NFL's commercial-laden product for the past 5 years, at least.