The Truth About Chan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post as usual Badol. Let me ask you this.....if Jauron and Gailey had talented teams, which one do you think would be a better HC? I am thinking Gailey by far, but I would really appreciate your take on this abstract question.

See ya Sunday!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Definitely Gailey. I don't mean to praise Jaurons' coaching by any means. His approach wasn't really about adapting to the type of team he had, playing not to lose was just how he played regardless.

But right now Gailey is trying to pound the square peg into the round hole and the players aren't buying into it. All Gailey had to do this year was come out and do a replay of the first season under Jauron. Run it, run it, run it and punt it. Cover up for the defense. The talent isn't there and the assistant coaching isn't there to throw down with the rest of the AFC East. I'm not saying they win any of those games, but at least they would have started to develop an identity and played to their strengths, which on paper are running back and pass defense. When you run the ball, you shorten the game. Less clock to work with means less offensive snaps and hopefully the loss of offensive patience and the abandonment of the running game.

Cowboys HC

He took over a team with Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmit Smith, Deion Sanders, etc. HE NEVER EVEN WON A PLAYOFF GAME. He did make the playoffs twice, but other coaches were able to get much, much more out of that roster. He was quickly fired after two disappointing seasons. His time as a head coach in Dallas can only be described as a complete and utter failure.

I love when people take skewed opinnions and turn them into facts on this board, its what actually makes this board entertaining.

You do realize that Jerry Jones to this day regreted firing him and has said that publicly several times right? So if he was such a failure there, why would the man who fired him admit he made a mistake and let him go to early?

But keep massaging the facts to validate your opinnions as facts.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Cowboys HC

He took over a team with Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmit Smith, Deion Sanders, etc. HE NEVER EVEN WON A PLAYOFF GAME. He did make the playoffs twice, but other coaches were able to get much, much more out of that roster. He was quickly fired after two disappointing seasons. His time as a head coach in Dallas can only be described as a complete and utter failure.

"but other coaches were able to get much, much more out of that roster"

Yup - this either uninformed or intentionally false statement fits well with your absurd Kelsay defenses.

I've posted this numerous times before - but here goes again:

Dallas the year before Gailey took over as HC:

6-10

Dallas Gailey's two years as HC:

10-6

8-8

Dallas for three years after Gailey was fired as HC:

5-11

5-11

5-11

This wasn't the Super Bowl Cowboys - the stars you mention were already old and on their way out.

Sorry - there is no better way to measure a coach's performance than how the team did before and after he got there - it's rarely this clean cut though. They were dramatically worse both before and after he was there - and dramatically better when he was there.

If the Bills don't manage 6 wins (looking sadly likely) that will be a first for him.

As for KC - others have already corrected you - Gailey was Pioli's first choice, but he was worried the KC fans were too stupid to get him.

Edited by BobChalmers

Well I havent been one of Gaileys fans nor have I seen anything that would move me away from the wtf feeling I had when he was hired. Sure the offense looks more of an offense the last 2 games then it did for the entire last season (you know the one without an OC). But if you look at the team everything seems to have become worse ever since he was hired, getting the right talent on the roster is a big part of what makes a successfull coach. The signing of all these former Georgia players that didnt even survived other teams their trainingcamps is not exactly a confidence creator either. Why is it that we held so over so many players from last year, great coaches reshape a team that is struggeling. But then again the succesfull rebuilders make sure they have a say in the FO stuff of things or have a trusty in there. The only thing I can credit Gailey for atm is that I'm less sold on the so called FO revamp then on his hiring, I seriously doubt if the FO was revamped as much as it was originally announced it was going to be.

Yup - this either uninformed or intentionally false statement fits well with your absurd Kelsay defenses.

6-10

10-6

8-8

5-11

5-11

5-11

This wasn't the Super Bowl Cowboys - the stars you mention were already old and on their way out.

Sorry - there is no better way to measure a coach's performance than how the team did before and after he got there - it's rarely this clean cut though. They were dramatically worse both before and after he was there - and dramatically better when he was there.

If the Bills don't manage 6 wins (looking sadly likely) that will be a first for him.

As for KC - others have already corrected you - Gailey was Pioli's first choice, but he was worried the KC fans were too stupid to get him.

QFT

6-10

10-6

8-8

5-11

5-11

5-11

Georgia Tech before Chan Gailey took over:

8-5

Under Chan Gailey:

7–6

7–6

7–5

7–5

9–5

7–6

After Chan Gailey:

9-4

11-3

Georgia Tech before Chan Gailey took over:

8-5

Under Chan Gailey:

7–6

7–6

7–5

7–5

9–5

7–6

After Chan Gailey:

9-4

11-3

What NFL team is Georgia Tech again?

Last I checked, NFL and College are different and what you do in college (good, bad or mediocre) isnt exactly a blueprint of how will do in the NFL as a coach or player.

Fine lets get his OC stats involved then:

Broncos before

8-8

11-5

Broncos with Gailey as OC

5-11

Broncos after

12-4

Steelers before

12-4

11-5

Steelers with Gailey as OC

10-6

11-5

Steelers after

7-9

6-10

Dolphins before

10-6

9-7

Dolphins with Gailey as OC

11-5

11-5

Dolphins after

9-7

10-6

Chiefs before

9-7

4-12

Chiefs with Gailey as OC

2-14

Chiefs after

4-12

Broncos before

8-8

11-5

5-11

Broncos after

12-4

Steelers before

12-4

11-5

10-6

11-5

Steelers after

7-9

6-10

Dolphins before

10-6

9-7

11-5

11-5

Dolphins after

9-7

10-6

Chiefs before

9-7

4-12

Chiefs with Gailey as OC

2-14

Chiefs after

4-12

Again, what does that have to do with Gailey? You want to compare W/L records of when he was NOT an NFL HC to now that he is an NFL HC...yet you ignore he was a winning NFL HC, was fired by Jerry Jones who has said it was one of his regrettable mistakes and wish he wouldnt have fired him.

Let me tell you what your biased arguments with the W/L records dont show about his time as an OC:

1. Who was the offensive personell he worked with before, during, and after. He is the OC, not the HC or GM...he could only work with what he had.

2. Why those W/L records were what they were?

3. How was the offense in comparison to what it was before and after? Did the personell have anything to do with that?

4. Who were his QB's and did they have more or less success with him as the OC?

5. Were his key offensive players healthy most of the season?

And I could keep going with the list of unknowns you choose to leave out in order to bash him, but I think you get my point. You chose probably that absolute worst stat to show Chans effectiveness or ineffectiveness as an OC.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Its easy to throw the guy under the bus when he is 0 and 4... I wonder what they would done if they had a real free agency year. Not to make excuses for the guy but he didnt have a chance to get much help. I know that the offense is not producing but I do like overall offensive scheme better than the previous years, with little talent doesent much matter what offense run I guess. Its sad when year in and year out the best players are the kickers.

Again, what does that have to do with Gailey? You want to compare W/L records of when he was NOT an NFL HC to now that he is an NFL HC...yet you ignore he was a winning NFL HC,

That was so long ago, and so short of a stretch, how is that even relevant compared to the rest of his time in the NFL.

And that oft quoted Jerry Jones argument. But riddle me this, if Jerry Jones made such a big mistake firing Chan, why did he never even interview him again when he had openings ... much less hire him. Chan isn't a bad coach, but he also is not a great coach either (at least according to his employment history). He is a mediocre coach. People need to understand this and not expect miracles from the man.

Alpha my point is that he hasn't shown much (at least not pure awesomeness) outside of his Dallas stint, also didn't all the stars kinda retire the year after Gailey was fired? I know what Jones said. What he did show is an inability to win anything post season wise (both WLAF and NFL), but well if he manages to get us to the post season in the first place I'll gladly worry about that. Defend him all you want, I'm merely saying that I personally havent been convinced with his hiring based on his statistical resume in w/l ratio and him being the for GT fans what Dick Jauron was to us and nothing has happened to change my opinion so far in. Heh I really hope he proofs me wrong but Gailey has Dolphins-Cameron written all over him so far.

Broncos before

8-8

11-5

5-11

Broncos after

12-4

Steelers before

12-4

11-5

10-6

11-5

Steelers after

7-9

6-10

Dolphins before

10-6

9-7

11-5

11-5

Dolphins after

9-7

10-6

Chiefs before

9-7

4-12

Chiefs with Gailey as OC

2-14

Chiefs after

4-12

W/L records are unfair to judge a OC on. You have to look at the offenses themselves to come to a real conclusion.

W/L records are unfair to judge a OC on. You have to look at the offenses themselves to come to a real conclusion.

I know ,I know, only posted those because apparently posting his HC record at GT didnt count... Kinda interesting to see though that the teams he was on never improved but stayed the same or got a lot worse and always improved or stayed the same when he left. Statistically that would mean something given a large enough dataset since other influencal factors are then non factors...

Listen I'm not trying to black sheep the guy, but stop seeing him as the great savior untill he starts to show something for it. The positivism is based on nothing other then him not being Dick Jauron so far imho. Personally I rate his Dallas recordas meaning a lot less then what he did in the last 10 years. BTW Shananan was the HC both before and after Gailey his Dallas stint.

Alpha my point is that he hasn't shown much (at least not pure awesomeness) outside of his Dallas stint, also didn't all the stars kinda retire the year after Gailey was fired? I know what Jones said. What he did show is an inability to win anything post season wise (both WLAF and NFL), but well if he manages to get us to the post season in the first place I'll gladly worry about that. Defend him all you want, I'm merely saying that I personally havent been convinced with his hiring based on his statistical resume in w/l ratio and him being the for GT fans what Dick Jauron was to us and nothing has happened to change my opinion so far in. Heh I really hope he proofs me wrong but Gailey has Dolphins-Cameron written all over him so far.

My only point was that he is a HC on a team completely lacking talent in comparison to the teams we played during our 0-4 stretch. There isnt a coach in the NFL or in the NFL's history that would have taken over this team and been expected to beat the likes of GB, NE, or the Jets as they are vastly more talented across the board. Mia is also more talented...the game was winnable (thanks Trent you pansy) but still they are a much better team than us right now.

So before we start thumbing through every stat we can to bash Gailey, why not give the guy a chance to do what he was brought here to do, rebuild the team. This year alwasy was a rebuilding year in which we were not expected to be any better than 1-3 and probably 0-4 at this point. Thats not his fault, he didnt build this mess.

What you also didnt show in all those stats is how he got below average QB's to have their better years under his guidance in some of those stops. Our struggles and our record are because of our lack of talent and our change to new schemmes. It takes time, and everyone knows that and knows how much talent we are lacking, yet still choose to pile on him and Nix as if this one draft and offseason was going to suddenly fix this team.

Its going to take some time before we can evaluate him...

Edited by Alphadawg7

I'm not passing judgement on him as of yet other then that I dont grant him a clean slate to start off with, nor do I value his results as HC at Dallas as anything more then historical and too far in the past ot be of any worth. I do value his results and the opnions about his coaching in GT. That's where the core of our difference is I think because it has put my mind set to Gailey has a lot to proof and yours to I trust Gailey. But as I said, I havent passed judgement on him as HC with the Bills as of yet, allthough I do feel there seems to be an eery similarity with the 2007 Dolphins situation.