The Truth About Chan

The Bills just couldn't land a real coach. A good coach like Shanahan or Cowher would never dream of associating themselves with such a terrible front office and owner. It's sad but that's life.

Right after we signed Chan, didn't it come out that Marty Schottenheimer admitted he was interested in the job?

It was hinted at before, but I think he openly admitted it afterward.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice logic.

You think Kelsay sucks, so therefore Chan is a good coach. Makes sense!

edit: my friendship with Chris has nothing to do with this topic

The point that was being made was that your opinion on Chris Kelsay essentially destroys the validity of anything else that you say (though you are purposely combative and contrarian, because -- I dunno: psychological shortcomings). Thing is: No one respects you here. Not even as a troll. You're the Chan Gailey of trolls.

Edited by wardigital

Posters here used to tell me what a ****ty OC Kevin Gilbride was. They called him "Killdrive". It was funny right up to the point when HE WON A !@#$ING SUPER BOWL"!

I tend not to listen to forum talent evaluators anymore!

+10000000000000000 FOR COACHES AND PLAYERS BOTH. I have a questions for everyne that comes on here and blasts the coaches, the GM, or the players. What makes you so arrogant to think you know more than the professionals who run this team? What experience do you have as NFL talent evaluators? The answer is you don't have any. I am not saying that what we are seeing is an acceptible product, but I can tell you everyone at 1BD knows a lot more about the talent and inner workings of this team than any of us armchair QB's do.

Comming onto this board after a loss and seeing all of the immeasurably stupid, irrational, mindless and emotionally driven dribble that is spewed is almost as bad as watching the game all over again.

Really, Chan and Nix are terrible....They've been here for four f*cking games!

After Jauron I was on the verge too. I swore, I would not support this team unless it got a strategy, some discipline and some leadership moving forward. Now, Gailey wasn't my first choice, but from a leadership standpoint I like what I have seen so far. The team makes much fewer mistakes than it did under Jauron. The team is starting to produce at least a little offensively and defenses have to be honest when playing the Bills offense. Are they good....No. Will they get better if they stick with the plan and get some playmakers....Yes. Like Axel Rose once said, Just a little patience.....yea, yea, yea.

NO U

Love these mature posts.

:rolleyes:

+10000000000000000 FOR COACHES AND PLAYERS BOTH. I have a questions for everyne that comes on here and blasts the coaches, the GM, or the players. What makes you so arrogant to think you know more than the professionals who run this team? What experience do you have as NFL talent evaluators? The answer is you don't have any. I am not saying that what we are seeing is an acceptible product, but I can tell you everyone at 1BD knows a lot more about the talent and inner workings of this team than any of us armchair QB's do.

Comming onto this board after a loss and seeing all of the immeasurably stupid, irrational, mindless and emotionally driven dribble that is spewed is almost as bad as watching the game all over again.

Really, Chan and Nix are terrible....They've been here for four f*cking games!

After Jauron I was on the verge too. I swore, I would not support this team unless it got a strategy, some discipline and some leadership moving forward. Now, Gailey wasn't my first choice, but from a leadership standpoint I like what I have seen so far. The team makes much fewer mistakes than it did under Jauron. The team is starting to produce at least a little offensively and defenses have to be honest when playing the Bills offense. Are they good....No. Will they get better if they stick with the plan and get some playmakers....Yes. Like Axel Rose once said, Just a little patience.....yea, yea, yea.

Overall, I agree with your point. Fans who think they know more than Nix and Gailey are being ridiculous. I do feel with Nix/Whaley our front office is greatly improved. And I do feel Gailey is better than Jauron.

I know it will take more than 1 season to right this ship. But what worries me most, is modrak. Our biggest problem on this team is drafting players like hardy, maybin, whitner, kelsey, losman, etc. Those players cost us high draft picks and did not return the value. I personally think that mostly falls on modrak, and I would have liked a replacement for him from a decent franchise. Him still being here worries me that we might screw up another rebuilding project.

And even though I like Nix and Gailey, and I think they are an improvement, I have my doubts about them. I just hope somthing happens this offseason. I am not saying I want a big splash this offseason that makes headlines, I just want an offseason that cleans up this roster more than the last offseason.

Once again, someone is mistaking their own opinions for facts.

Really? Read on.

You are entitled to your opinions, just like everyone else on this board, but please don't try to pass them off as facts. Chan Gailey is a well respected coach around the league and if you knew anything about college football, you would understand that Georgia Tech is always second fiddle to Georgia.

Not this year...

Anyway, if Jerry Jones missed Gailey so much, he had a golden opportunity to coreect his "error" and rehire him instead of Wade Philips. He didn't even interview him.

If you can't see the creativity in the offense thus far and the ability to put points on the board, then you haven't been watching. They were bad last year against the run and they are worse this year. My problem with the coaching staff is not Gailey, as I believe his offense has shown some definite improvement over last year. My problem is with Edwards. The DC seems to be in over his head and his defense has been terrible outside of the first week.

I don't know what you've been watching, but I see little "creativity" other than Fitzy running for his life. This offense is the worst in the League--how can you say it's better than last year?

Like I said, I respect your opinion, but please don't mistake your opinions for facts.

Please follow your own advice.

Love these mature posts.

:rolleyes:

Overall, I agree with your point. Fans who think they know more than Nix and Gailey are being ridiculous. I do feel with Nix/Whaley our front office is greatly improved. And I do feel Gailey is better than Jauron.

I know it will take more than 1 season to right this ship. But what worries me most, is modrak. Our biggest problem on this team is drafting players like hardy, maybin, whitner, kelsey, losman, etc. Those players cost us high draft picks and did not return the value. I personally think that mostly falls on modrak, and I would have liked a replacement for him from a decent franchise. Him still being here worries me that we might screw up another rebuilding project.

And even though I like Nix and Gailey, and I think they are an improvement, I have my doubts about them. I just hope somthing happens this offseason. I am not saying I want a big splash this offseason that makes headlines, I just want an offseason that cleans up this roster more than the last offseason.

I agree with your post as well. I think the reason they actually hired a real GM was so they could have a football guy in charge of the draft and talent comming in. I do not think anyone can honestly say Modrak had a lot of input on this years draft. From all accounts that was Nix and Gailey all the way.

I agree if Modrak and some of the other "business guys" were still running the football side, I would probably have given up. But I don't see Modrak steam-rolling his viewpoints on Nix or Gailey.

I think given time to work their plan, Nix & Gailey will field a talented team. I like Dwan Edwards and I like Andre Davis. I think those were good signings. Regarding Cornell Green, you are not going to hit on every siging. I also like the fact you are seeing guys like Coleman and Moats playing. I like the fact that some of the undrafted guys like Nelson are playing. I like the Edwards release.

And for everyone saying play the kids....I agree. My predicition is Chan will play the kids once they lose 7 or 8 games. He cannot do it before that, becasue he will lose the vets in the locker room who will see it as the coach giving up on the season. Which is the right way to handle the situation. You have to give the Vets the opportunity to compete, you owe it to them, no matter how far fetched a playoff apearance seems at this point. That is leadership, and what is best for the team long term.

Edited by tonyd19

Punch, by the way that quote in your Sig is probably the best Maddenism since John himself stopped doing games. I had to rewind twice to make sure I heard it right.

Dan is probably dreaming of seeing "Dierdorf 2013" on the shelf at Best Buy.

I think given time to work their plan, Nix & Gailey will field a talented team. I like Dwan Edwards and I like Andre Davis. I think those were good signings.

I like those signings as well. MUCH better than the Levy signings of walker and dockery. I just wish they made a couple more of those. I really like Whaley, and hope not that he has been here awhile, he can convince the organization to make a bigger push this offseason as far as FA goes. I think he had a lot to do with the Ubrick pick up. Whaley as assistant GM to me is the most hopeful thing. Someone from the outside, winning organization. He still has a lot to prove, but to me it was good sign to promote some one like him rather than someone internally.

It has not been four weeks. It has been a draft, OTA's a preseason and four games. Chan should be showing us something by now. He isn't.

I have seen much fewer penalties this year than I did under Jauron. I have seen the coaching staff send a message to the guys in the locker room. Perform or get cut, even if you are a captain, your job is not safe here. I have seen good adjustments by the coaching staff, but lousy execution. I have seen defenses have to adjust to what we are doing offensively...hence our offense keeping teams a bit more honest, especially with crowding the box.

These are small things, but they are important. I think right now the coaching is pretty good. The execution and talent is terrible.

As far as the draft is concerned, it is waaaaay to early to tell how that will play out. What I do know is we have had Moats, Coleman, Nelson all contributing last week. Wang has been injured, Batten has been injured. Troup and Carrington both play postions where we have established players at (Williams and Stroud) So it is hard for them to get on the field and contribute at this point. And Spiller will be a stud moving forward. SO I think the draft will be a productive one long term. Do we have any hall of famers? Probably not, but I think we will get 5 or 6 very good players out of it. That is good talent evaluation.

I will say I am very concerned about the Kelsay signing. That troubles me. But once again, I am not a football expert.

Edited by tonyd19

Anyway, if Jerry Jones missed Gailey so much, he had a golden opportunity to coreect his "error" and rehire him instead of Wade Philips. He didn't even interview him.

Oh, that's easy. Like WIlson, jones is a meddler and hates to admit when he is wrong. I am shocked that he even admitted it all, even if it is like 20 years later.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

I like those signings as well. MUCH better than the Levy signings of walker and dockery. I just wish they made a couple more of those. I really like Whaley, and hope not that he has been here awhile, he can convince the organization to make a bigger push this offseason as far as FA goes. I think he had a lot to do with the Ubrick pick up. Whaley as assistant GM to me is the most hopeful thing. Someone from the outside, winning organization. He still has a lot to prove, but to me it was good sign to promote some one like him rather than someone internally.

I agree there a re a lot of things to be happy about from the teams structual perspective. Now it is about execution. Like Donte said, it is about beating the man in front of you. Right now, we just don't have the horses to do that consistantly. But that will change over time.

I wish they got someone younger and more in touch with today’s game. I look at Jim Harbaugh at Stanford as an example of one guy who will be a darn good NFL coach and wish the bills went after him. I was hoping for a younger coach with fire and something to prove like John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, or a Rex Ryan, not the same old list of usual suspects. Shannahan, Cowher and Grueden were all a pipe dream.

That said, Gailey has managed to take a dismal hand and orchestrate some point scoring and his press conferences at least demonstrate his desire to win. Is he any better at drawing up a plan to get somewhere? Who knows and who can tell 4 games into his first season after playing 4 playoff contenders with a scout team squad.

Talk about massaging information to suit your bias...

There are lots of problems with this post but I'll just focus on two: yeah, he had all those veterans in Dallas. Old, tired veterans on their last legs. Those players were criticized heavily for their effort and work ethic in that period.

In KC, Chan turned around a terrible offense and made Thigpen look like a decent QB. They always planned to bring Weis back into the fold and he was just a stopgap solution for them until Weis was available. They're all old New England buds over there now.

Listen to what the players are saying because they're all saying the same thing: Their failures this year are their own problem - the coaches are putting them in teh right spots and planning effectively. They're not executing for ****.

First off, the players said the same things with Jauron. They constantly deflected the blame from Jauron until they couldn't hide the fact that he ran a loose ship.

Second, you're all wrong.

Chan is just a good OC who does not make a good HC.

It happens. He is like an older version of Cam Cameron. Cameron is an outstanding OC at the NFL level. He was a failure as a HC at the University of Indiana, and not surprisingly a failure when he got a shot at a much bigger job with the Dolphins. Both Cameron and Gailey were succeeded at their colleges by coaches who were able to come in and do much more with what were perceived to be difficult jobs. Some guys just don't have what it takes to be the HC despite being a good football coach. We are seeing that with Gailey. In terms of doing what it takes to win with the talent at hand, he is actually worse than Jauron and he is headed for a Cameron-like season in Buffalo.

Why is he not as good as a HC as he is an OC?

I think for one thing, he is stubborn about doing it his way. The talent on this team calls for a coach who will run the hell out of the ball and shorten the game for their suspect defense. The Bills instead are trying to trade punches with better teams. Chan trusts in himself, and the offensive results don't look that bad on paper. But this defense can't hold up against 35-40 minutes of opposition offense. As a result, games that are competitive early are getting out of hand and turning into blowouts. That's not excellent head coaching. It also is denying the team the only identity it is fit to wear, which is as a run first team.

Second, I think Chan lacks the belief factor. He has done some good things in his career, but the reality is that his track record is having been fired at 3 of his last 4 stops and never really finding success despite almost a decade as a head coach in Dallas and then GT.

Players buy into coaches who have won in the past. They might buy into a young prodigy coach, or a coach like Sparano who is hand picked by perceived greatness with a vested interst like Parcells or the Rooney family(Bill Cowher from his seat at CBS does not apply).

They aren't going to easily buy into an old retread, never won anything, like Gailey. He has to earn it by providing results. Even Jauron knew that, and he did that by employing his play-not-to-lose gameplans. Thus far Gailey has not earned any respect and it shows on the field by the lack of effort and concentration these guys are showing when they get behind. In one series in the second half, the Bills threw passes on first, second and third down and all were catchable and all were dropped. The focus is not there, and if the players believed in what they were doing they would be playing to the whistle. They aren't.

First off, the players said the same things with Jauron. They constantly deflected the blame from Jauron until they couldn't hide the fact that he ran a loose ship.

Second, you're all wrong.

Chan is just a good OC who does not make a good HC.

It happens. He is like an older version of Cam Cameron. Cameron is an outstanding OC at the NFL level. He was a failure as a HC at the University of Indiana, and not surprisingly a failure when he got a shot at a much bigger job with the Dolphins. Both Cameron and Gailey were succeeded at their colleges by coaches who were able to come in and do much more with what were perceived to be difficult jobs. Some guys just don't have what it takes to be the HC despite being a good football coach. We are seeing that with Gailey. In terms of doing what it takes to win with the talent at hand, he is actually worse than Jauron and he is headed for a Cameron-like season in Buffalo.

Why is he not as good as a HC as he is an OC?

I think for one thing, he is stubborn about doing it his way. The talent on this team calls for a coach who will run the hell out of the ball and shorten the game for their suspect defense. The Bills instead are trying to trade punches with better teams. Chan trusts in himself, and the offensive results don't look that bad on paper. But this defense can't hold up against 35-40 minutes of opposition offense. As a result, games that are competitive early are getting out of hand and turning into blowouts. That's not excellent head coaching. It also is denying the team the only identity it is fit to wear, which is as a run first team.

Second, I think Chan lacks the belief factor. He has done some good things in his career, but the reality is that his track record is having been fired at 3 of his last 4 stops and never really finding success despite almost a decade as a head coach in Dallas and then GT.

Players buy into coaches who have won in the past. They might buy into a young prodigy coach, or a coach like Sparano who is hand picked by perceived greatness with a vested interst like Parcells or the Rooney family(Bill Cowher from his seat at CBS does not apply).

They aren't going to easily buy into an old retread, never won anything, like Gailey. He has to earn it by providing results. Even Jauron knew that, and he did that by employing his play-not-to-lose gameplans. Thus far Gailey has not earned any respect and it shows on the field by the lack of effort and concentration these guys are showing when they get behind. In one series in the second half, the Bills threw passes on first, second and third down and all were catchable and all were dropped. The focus is not there, and if the players believed in what they were doing they would be playing to the whistle. They aren't.

Great post as usual Badol. Let me ask you this.....if Jauron and Gailey had talented teams, which one do you think would be a better HC? I am thinking Gailey by far, but I would really appreciate your take on this abstract question.

See ya Sunday!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

No he's not.

And anyways that's just your opinion, not a fact.

Ask Bill Cowher what he thinks of Gailey. Ask Jerry Jones. And yes, it is my opinion, based on what I have read and actual quotes from other coaches. It is an opinion based on research, not just shooting off at the mouth. You're right it is my opinion, making it worth just as much as the other poster's opinion.

Ask Bill Cowher what he thinks of Gailey. Ask Jerry Jones. And yes, it is my opinion, based on what I have read and actual quotes from other coaches. It is an opinion based on research, not just shooting off at the mouth. You're right it is my opinion, making it worth just as much as the other poster's opinion.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... don't you know who he's friends with???? You should "get a clue" and stop living in "fantasy land".

Really? Read on.

Not this year...

I don't know what you've been watching, but I see little "creativity" other than Fitzy running for his life. This offense is the worst in the League--how can you say it's better than last year?

Please follow your own advice.

First of all, I never said the word "fact" anywhere in my post. I understand that what I write is my own opinion and therefore is just as valid as everyone else's on this board. No more, no less. I don't try to pass it off as fact. And yes, I have been watching the same offense that you have. Did you happen to notice the misdirection on the TD pass to the tight end yesterday. I don't remember ever seeing a play like that under Jauron. I have noticed Gailey's influence in the play calling and I like what I see. Again, my opinion. The offense has had little opportunity to show very much because the defense can't get off the field. Edwards defense is the biggest problem (in my opinion) not the Head Coach. And please don't tell me it's Gailey's fault for picking him. Veteran Defensive coordinators weren't exactly busting the door down to coach the Bills defense.

mediocre coach......just perfect for Ralph Wilson. I'm not gonna sit here and blame gailey, I'm pointing the finger at old man wilsonwho lacks any desire to build a winning team. F him and the horse he rode in on back in the 18th century.....

I logged in today just so I can comment on this post. This is so true and I agree 100%. Wilson is to blame for much of this disaster the entire decade.