Don't Draft a QB!!!

First of all, I am new to this Board. I grew up in Buffalo, attended many Bills games and have been a fan ever since the 2-14 Hank Bullough days. I do not hold myself out as an expert on football strategy, defensive schemes, offense, etc. I am just a basic fan who wants my son to experience the thrill of a successful team as I did in the 90's.

I took my 13 yr old to his first Bills game on Sunday and we experienced the excitement of tailgating in Lot 1 at 9am, cooking, talking with fellow fans and watching the warmups. Needless to say the final outcome was a disappointment. As we drove home (5 hours)we discussed the team and listened to WGR55. The Bulldog insisted that we draft a quarterback with the first pick and he proceeded to extoll the virtues of Luck vs Jake Locker (sp?) and why Carolina and Detroit would not draft a QB, etc.

I disagree with this radio personality and others who suggest drafting a quarterback is the answer with a high draft pick. My suggestion is the following:

1) If you love something, set it free...especially if you get something good in return. Namely, Lee Evans. Give him the benefit of a quarterback who is well protected and has other receivers so that Lee is not double covered or matched up with top DB. You will clear alot of room in salary cap and obtain (hopefully a high second round pick).

2) Marshawn: Trade for second round pick. Flat out. Clear salary cap room and get a second round pick.

3) Take your two second round picks and trade them to a team for their first round pick. Depending on the number of quality guards and tackles...take two big beefy offennsive lineman in the first round.

4) Take the salary money you saved with Lee and Marshawn and get a third monstrous offensive lineman in free agency.

5) Keep Fitzpatrick and Brohm for anaother year and they will produce if given time in the pocket. I see good things with Johnson and Nelson. Roscoe will adapt and you can always get another big receiver either in Free Agency or second round of draft (because you traded your other second round picks which were given for Evans and Lynch - still retain our original second round pick).

I know this is a rambling mess, but drafting a QB in the first round only to be pounded on repeatedly (like Trent was pounded in Arizona) may cause a young guy more problems. They screwed up this year's draft (I do like Spiller) when we needed to build from the bottom up...that starts with the O-line.

I remember going to Rich Stadium when the seats were half full...watching Vince Ferragamo and others take a stab at winning. I want to see the likes of Kent Hull, Ballard, Wolford, Ritcher, etc forming a pocket in the near future. After that is formed...pick your young quarterback and let him have some fun (instead of having to be the leading rusher on scrambles like it was yesterday).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evans will not get a 2nd round pick. And also our defense has allowed 125 points in 4 games.

Thats over 30 A GAME.

We need a real 3-4 OLB, not a converted 4-3 DE. This is as big a need on this team as QB, LT, RT, C, NT, ILB and WR. this team has maybe 10 players worth a damn. But the 3-4 is built on pressure on the QB, and we have none.

First of all, I am new to this Board. I grew up in Buffalo, attended many Bills games and have been a fan ever since the 2-14 Hank Bullough days. I do not hold myself out as an expert on football strategy, defensive schemes, offense, etc. I am just a basic fan who wants my son to experience the thrill of a successful team as I did in the 90's.

I took my 13 yr old to his first Bills game on Sunday and we experienced the excitement of tailgating in Lot 1 at 9am, cooking, talking with fellow fans and watching the warmups. Needless to say the final outcome was a disappointment. As we drove home (5 hours)we discussed the team and listened to WGR55. The Bulldog insisted that we draft a quarterback with the first pick and he proceeded to extoll the virtues of Luck vs Jake Locker (sp?) and why Carolina and Detroit would not draft a QB, etc.

I disagree with this radio personality and others who suggest drafting a quarterback is the answer with a high draft pick. My suggestion is the following:

1) If you love something, set it free...especially if you get something good in return. Namely, Lee Evans. Give him the benefit of a quarterback who is well protected and has other receivers so that Lee is not double covered or matched up with top DB. You will clear alot of room in salary cap and obtain (hopefully a high second round pick).

2) Marshawn: Trade for second round pick. Flat out. Clear salary cap room and get a second round pick.

3) Take your two second round picks and trade them to a team for their first round pick. Depending on the number of quality guards and tackles...take two big beefy offennsive lineman in the first round.

4) Take the salary money you saved with Lee and Marshawn and get a third monstrous offensive lineman in free agency.

5) Keep Fitzpatrick and Brohm for anaother year and they will produce if given time in the pocket. I see good things with Johnson and Nelson. Roscoe will adapt and you can always get another big receiver either in Free Agency or second round of draft (because you traded your other second round picks which were given for Evans and Lynch - still retain our original second round pick).

I know this is a rambling mess, but drafting a QB in the first round only to be pounded on repeatedly (like Trent was pounded in Arizona) may cause a young guy more problems. They screwed up this year's draft (I do like Spiller) when we needed to build from the bottom up...that starts with the O-line.

I remember going to Rich Stadium when the seats were half full...watching Vince Ferragamo and others take a stab at winning. I want to see the likes of Kent Hull, Ballard, Wolford, Ritcher, etc forming a pocket in the near future. After that is formed...pick your young quarterback and let him have some fun (instead of having to be the leading rusher on scrambles like it was yesterday).

I agree with you on some points. I wouldn't mind trading Lynch or Evans some draft picks or to clear room so that they can sign a better player through Free Agency. That being said, I think that they should trade the #1, #2 or #3 overall pick - whatever one they get for a later first round spot and a 2nd round pick. Draft the best lineman on the board, doesn't matter offensive or defensive line. Then pick up a QB early in the 2nd Round. Let's face it there won't be a lot of teams going after these QBs. The Bills will be best served by any one of the top three QB's coming out. They just need to get one of them.

Bottom line, be smart for once in the draft.

Ut, oh, BBF, you are about to get pounded on by nearly everone on this board.

These guys made up their minds in August, we need that franchise Quarterback and they believe the new kid will fix everything.

I haven't given up on Fitz, Brohm OR Brown and I am NOT buckling to pear pressure either.

If we draft another QB this crowd will turn on this guy after the first game.

Some day, yes SOME DAY, people will realize that without an Offensive line, NO quarterback will survive.

Good luck with your thread, you're going to need it! :bag:

Edited by Another Point of View

People that don't recognize that a QB is the most important position on the team, BY FAR, are just not very knowledgeable about today's NFL.

The fact is that if you already have a good line, you probably won't go 0-16 and get a chance at a top QB. So you have to take your shot on a QB when you can, and then build around him.

No one thinks drafting Sam Bradford will turn the team around on day one, but it will give them a chance for the future. If you stay with Fitzpatrick/Brohm, you have absolutely no hope to ever go to a Super Bowl - the most you could ever hope for is a playoff run.

I have to agree with the logic about not drafting a QB. The O-line and D-line are the real problems here. Any QB playing behind this O-line will struggle, so why not fix the o-line first then you can evaluate the QB position. The d-line is pathetic and couldn't a girl scout troupe, picks need to be made on the d-line and o-line and fa signings. Football is won in the trenches on both sides of the ball and that's where next year's attention should be placed.

These guys made up their minds in August, we need that franchise Quaterback and they believe the new kid will fix everything.

I haven't given up on Fitz, Brohm OR Brown and I am buckling to pear pressure either.

If we draft another QB this crowd will turn on this guy after the first game.

Some day, yes SOME DAY, people will realize that without an Offensive line, NO quarterback will survive.

Good luck with your thread, your going to need it! :bag:

I'm right there with you guys. After watching yesterday's game we won't be able to do anything until the team can actually move the other teams line. Offense and Defense.

I don't have a problem with your suggestions, but doubt you'll get anywhere near a #2. But would take whatever you can in trade. I also would consider trading down to get multiple picks. But again you need to find a team wanting to move up.

I agree, but the problem is there's a better change at drafting a Ryan Leaf than a Sam Bradford. The odds are in Leafs favor.

People that don't recognize that a QB is the most important position on the team, BY FAR, are just not very knowledgeable about today's NFL.

The fact is that if you already have a good line, you probably won't go 0-16 and get a chance at a top QB. So you have to take your shot on a QB when you can, and then build around him.

No one thinks drafting Sam Bradford will turn the team around on day one, but it will give them a chance for the future. If you stay with Fitzpatrick/Brohm, you have absolutely no hope to ever go to a Super Bowl - the most you could ever hope for is a playoff run.

The problem always is value in the draft. Drafting a lineman with the no 1 or 2 pick is a huge reach most of the time. Better to trade that pick for a lower 1st and another 2nd. I agree though. None of the QB's coming out is worth betting farm with a crappy line. I think our guards will be OK, but w/o good tackles, they can't show us what they can do yet. OL is a team game. We also need a legit run-stuffing NT and about 3 new linebackers. We probably also need a real SS, sad to say. Build this like you build a house, with a good foundation.

OTOH one doesn't get the 1st pick very often. If there is a huge playmaker out there (WR, DE, QB, LB). Go ahead. It just better be worth it.

These guys made up their minds in August, we need that franchise Quarterback and they believe the new kid will fix everything.

This is the type of over-generalization I've come to love about some Posters on TSW...

Cause after all it's just a Mob mentality around here. Always has been...And as RJD sang so intuitively those many years ago..."The Mob Rules!" :devil:

This is the type of over-generalization I've come to love about some Posters on TSW...

Cause after all it's just a Mob mentality around here. Always has been...And as RJD sang so intuitively those many years ago..."The Mob Rules!" :devil:

I understand why some may want a new Quarterback, I really do.

We are talking about a PREMIUM DRAFT SELECTION and this group is not worthy.

I see a reach and a diaster,the fans can not take much more.

These would be good ideas if you could actually get those 2 second round picks. Unfortunately for those two guys, you would probably get a third and a fourth. Even that misght be worth it just to add some depth to this roster. The real problem with this team though is the defense. They are horrible, particularly against the run. The offense has put up 44 points in the last two weeks and that is enough to win some games if the defense could stop anybody. We need playmakers on defense.

Don't draft a QB

I hear you, but a year or two getting beat on while you develop the OL is par for the course for a lot of rookie high-round QBs, Peyton Manning, Jim Kelly, Matthew Stafford and Troy Aikman included.

We don't have a playoff-level QB on the roster. If the QB is there, grab him.

Nothing else should matter for the bills right now except building a offensive line. One step at a time. the better u run the ball the better your qb and wrs will be. Then focus on d

The real question is.....how does Buffalo use a top 3 pick in the 2011 draft?

Its not going to be a offensive linemen but it could be a Defensive player.

Where does Mark Ingram Rank in the draft. Buffalo will not take a RB ( I hope) but he is valuable trade bate right before the selection.

Maybe Buffalo should just trade the pick away for 2 or 3 proven vetran linemen

Edited by Another Point of View

The real question is.....how does Buffalo use a top 3 pick in the 2011 draft?

Its not going to be a offensive linemen but it could be a Defensive player.

Where does Mark Ingram Rank in the draft?

Maybe Buffalo should just trade the pick away for 2 or 3 proven vetran linemen

They would still need a QB....... and the bills would still be the laughingstock.... With the #2 pikc in the NFL draft the Bills trade the pick to so and so for 2 OL .

Quick tell me what team is going to trade 2 franchise caliber OL for a #2 pick? because you better be getting franchise players for that high of a pick.

I understand why some may want a new Quarterback, I really do.

We are talking about a PREMIUM DRAFT SELECTION and this group is not worthy.

I see a reach and a diaster,the fans can not take much more.

Fair enough...But at this time last year there were plenty of Scouts and Folks right here who said Sam Bradford was not tough enough to play a single Down in the NFL...There were all kinds of Folks saying they would not Draft him and I had serious doubts about his toughness myself...I was wrong, and so were they...It's early in the process...Sit back, relax, and let it all play out...One of these Kids could be the next Jim Kelly for this Franchise if given the opportunity...To say the Bills should not Draft a QB in the 1st Round at this point, given what they have on this Roster, is premature at the very least... B-)