Time to Scrap the 3-4

I thought we'd see more blitzing.

We play like a bunch of scared hienas, going backwards at the first sign of trouble. In four games the predominant formation was the 4-2-5 because we were facing Rodgers and Brady. We stood back waiting for them to pass, and pass they did, with high rate success.

We're not running the 3-4 as we should, we're rebuilding and they should be evaluating who can play or who can't, within the new blizt packages, situational football and stuff.

I fear that I misjudged Edwards hire, I don't think he's up to the task.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another example of poor coaching decisions, switching to a defense you don't have the personnel to play.

Gregg Williams did the same thing.

Just imagine how much better shape the Bills would be in if they hadn't ditched the 3-4 just to pick it up again 9 years later.

The players trump the coaching and the scheme. Exhibit A: Perry Fewell's Giants racked up 10 sacks last night, 9 by half time.

Also took out two QBs. I'm not even sure the Bills have dirtied or lightly scuffed-up any part of a QB this season.

Keep the scheme (and actually run it as intended) and dump the second-rate players.

Unfortunately, the players are the one thing you can't really make a wholesale change on. You have a whole roster of them, and many are under contract for a good number of future years.

The scheme, however, can be instantly and freely changed to fit the personnel you have. All it takes is enough practice to get the player to perform at a decent level.

Hopefully in about 5 or 6 years, we'll have burned through all the second-rate players and will have replaced them with some decent ones so we can adequately run the 3-4.

Another Bills headscratcher: switching to the 3-4 when you have no stout nosetackle and your linebackers are one of the weakest units on one of the weakest teams.

Good coaches highlight the strengths of their players and put them in the best position to succeed.

Then there are the Bills.

Like a previous poster mentioned, there are no good schemes for crappy players. Likewise, there is not enough talent to overcome bad coaching. The Bills personnel on defense does not fit a 3-4 defense.

The organization is run by clowns! No talent in the owner leads to no talent in management which leads to no talent in coaching or players. The Bills could be a classic case study in how NOT to run a football franchise.

I can picture Detroit's own Ralph Wilson talking to the Detroit Lions owner over lunch discussing how to screw up a football franchise for the last 50 years.

What a disgrace to the fans of the Buffalo Bills!

Last year the no-huddle offense was the big thing all through camp and the preseason. Then at the last minute the Bills trashed the no-huddle and the offensive coordinator. This year we've already cut our starting QB. Why not just go ahead and do the same with the 3-4?

It's just not working. It doesn't look anything remotely similar to a good 3-4 defense like the Steelers, with lots of pressure coming from unpredictable spots. The personnel might just be better for a 4-3, anyways. Get Stroud and Williams over their more natural DT gaps. Get Kelsay back at DE. Just get some baseline level of competency in place.

The 4-3 wasn't all that great either. There is no reason to scrap the 3-4. The players make the defense not the alignment. If Talley and Biscuit were playing OLB you would love this 3-4. Whatever defense they play will be sub-par because that's the type of players they have. That's what needs to change. The players.

Hey good people! Long time reader, first time posting! Let me say I think everyone on this board is great! I receive a lot of info and insight from all of you! Thanks! Let me say this, Edwards can kick rocks along wit his trash that he calls a defense! If our secondary is our storng point, why not throw 6 or 7 in the box and let corny Sanchez beat u wit his arm! Edwards can take whitner, and kelsay with him too! And I agree, back to the 43! We just don't have the personel!!

I think we need to add in some 4-3 fronts just to stop the bleeding a little. If this team is truly going full steam ahead with the 3-4 then we should still run it about half the time but there is no doubt we need to go with the 4-3 at least part of the time in order to ease in the transition to the 3-4 as well as make the D show more fronts which helps any D.

Even if we want to go with a 3-4 there still needs to be a package that uses the 4-3 even teams like the Steelers and Pats* run the 4-3 25-40% of the time.

Like a previous poster mentioned, there are no good schemes for crappy players. Likewise, there is not enough talent to overcome bad coaching. The Bills personnel on defense does not fit a 3-4 defense.

The organization is run by clowns! No talent in the owner leads to no talent in management which leads to no talent in coaching or players. The Bills could be a classic case study in how NOT to run a football franchise.

I can picture Detroit's own Ralph Wilson talking to the Detroit Lions owner over lunch discussing how to screw up a football franchise for the last 50 years.

What a disgrace to the fans of the Buffalo Bills!

Ralph was part owner of the Lions before the Bills, you know.

Horrible Idea. The season is lost. 3-4 is the direction that they are heading long term.

Agreed...No way The Bills scrap the 3-4 when they spent the past off-season making moves, and more importantly Drafting players to switch to the 3-4...

Get over it Folks...This Season is a throw-away...The Bills suck and the bright-side is it's only 12 more Games until the Off Season...Quit looking for things that "in your opinion" are going to make this Team better because they wont...There is no getting better...At least not much better...They'll start getting better next year...

Well...Maybe they will... B-)

I really like the idea of a 3-4.

Remember for years when the AFC East NT's would just abuse whoever the Bills had at C? Well, if the Bills can ever pick up a solid NT, they can do the same thing.

I know it sounds weird, but I would have loved to traded down and picked up the two Alabama boys McClain at ILB and then added Cody at NT for a solid 1-2 punch to upstart the defense. Sadly, they went a different way.

I don't understand keeping Kelsey either... especially for as long as they did. You need quick guys that can blitz/cover as OLB's... not slow/plodding guys like Kelsey.

I really like the idea of a 3-4.

Remember for years when the AFC East NT's would just abuse whoever the Bills had at C? Well, if the Bills can ever pick up a solid NT, they can do the same thing.

I know it sounds weird, but I would have loved to traded down and picked up the two Alabama boys McClain at ILB and then added Cody at NT for a solid 1-2 punch to upstart the defense. Sadly, they went a different way.

I don't understand keeping Kelsey either... especially for as long as they did. You need quick guys that can blitz/cover as OLB's... not slow/plodding guys like Kelsey.

Big McClain fan too. Check it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqzSrJrGxo

Agreed...No way The Bills scrap the 3-4 when they spent the past off-season making moves, and more importantly Drafting players to switch to the 3-4...

Get over it Folks...This Season is a throw-away...The Bills suck and the bright-side is it's only 12 more Games until the Off Season...Quit looking for things that "in your opinion" are going to make this Team better because they wont...There is no getting better...At least not much better...They'll start getting better next year...

Well...Maybe they will... B-)

:thumbsup:

There is no magic wand, folks. This season is about taking lumps and lots of them.

Stick with the plan and see if anyone on the roster can play the scheme, figure it out, and improve. If not, turn the page and move on. We don't need a few more Jauron-like years of wheel spinning and eeking out just enough wins to fool some fans (and eventual GMs) into thinking we're almost there.

I'd rather Gailey has the tape in hand to tell the front office people, "Look at this stiff, what the !@#$ where you thinking extending him?" and going over their heads if need be.

If we can get the line settled and some hard hitting LBs, I think everyone will change their mind about the 3-4. The havoc a 3-4 can (potentially) create is a thing of beauty.

Haven't we been playing a lot of 4 down linemen this year? Seems like we already are playing a 4-3 and that ain't working either...