Trade or Cut Evans and Whitner

This isn't actually a good thing. The majority of the tackles were 10 yards down field.

So is it Whitner's fault that he was consistantly having to provide the stopping tackle in run support? I agree the guy isn't all all star but he isn't the reason those backs were getting all the way to him to make a tackle. Truth be told I did enjoy a few things I saw yesterday. I Liked how Fitzy (as he always does) plays with fire. Doesn't slide, puts the head down and plows forward. That doesn't make up for anything but if I am sure a guy like Nelson in there would help. Did you see how fired up he was after those catches. Get this young man more involved in the offense if possible. I just wish Fitz had TE's accuracy to go along with his mentality lol. If only would could combine the two of them we might have had a decent qb lol.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner had 13 tackles today just fyi

I agree these guys havent been playing well but you need to tell me why cutting them makes our team better

I just dont see the point of creating a hole, just to create a hole

How could anyone blame Whitner. The Bills front 7 is laughable. Don't even think about criticizing the dbacks in a game like that. Evans was horrible. I like him, but maybe it's time for him to move on.

Lee Evans is not a good NFL-caliber receiver.

Look what happened last year when a street free agent (Owens) came in for a 1-year deal, not knowing the quarterbacks, etc. He performed better.

Lee Evans is a mediocre free-agent #3 receiver. I know it hurts to admit that your best player or favorite player just isn't good enough.

But he isn't.

wow this is a stupid post, I think all the ones who agreed here with the OP must be the Edwards supporters

LEE EVANS HAD 1 BAD GAME and now and he needs to be cut???? The defense lost the game,not evans.

TE had 30+ bad games yet still found support and excuses from you people who spout off like experts, "cut this guy cut that guy, so and so wont go over the middle"

Do you really think plays are called where evans is suppossed to go across the middle and he wont?

you know, you just dont drive a ferrari in an off roading event do you? Why waste his talent just to appease you people??? ANY RECEIVER can go over the middle, only a handful can run like evans and when we start winning again one day, you will be glad he can make those catches for 70+ yards that no one else on the team can.

Also- whitner sucks and is all hype, evans never complains but you defend whitner....and trent....hmmmm amazing.

Evans had one bad game and now you all feel like you were right all along...why did trent get 3+ years to suck but it was always "the line" "The coaching" "the receivers..."

Lame just really lame.

Look what happened last year when a street free agent (Owens) came in for a 1-year deal, not knowing the quarterbacks, etc. He performed better.

Lee Evans is a mediocre free-agent #3 receiver. I know it hurts to admit that your best player or favorite player just isn't good enough.

But he isn't.

TO had about twice as many balls thrown his way genius, also he was personally responsible for 3 picks by not trying hard enough to get to the ball, also Lee is much faster and has better quickness and hands. Lee I believe had 1 drop last years as opposed to TO's 10+ ya really out-performed him.?????

Trade him for a couple draft picks.

..and then select a WR and a SS with those picks you got right? Because that is what you would have to do when those guys are traded because you have opend up another whole.

Lee Evans does not call the plays. He runs the routes he is assigned.

Evans and Whitner are not in the same boat.

Evans just doesn't care, he just shows up to collect a paycheck.

Whitner cares and tries, he's just not that good.

I would say Whitner is a more productive player at this point than Evans by a mile.

The stat sheet for each game this year confrims this assertion on productivity. Donte is actually 12th in the NFL in tackles. The SS should not be the leading tackler in a 3-4 defense. It explains why the Bills have the worst Run D in the league.

wow this is a stupid post, I think all the ones who agreed here with the OP must be the Edwards supporters

LEE EVANS HAD 1 BAD GAME and now and he needs to be cut???? The defense lost the game,not evans.

TE had 30+ bad games yet still found support and excuses from you people who spout off like experts, "cut this guy cut that guy, so and so wont go over the middle"

Do you really think plays are called where evans is suppossed to go across the middle and he wont?

you know, you just dont drive a ferrari in an off roading event do you? Why waste his talent just to appease you people??? ANY RECEIVER can go over the middle, only a handful can run like evans and when we start winning again one day, you will be glad he can make those catches for 70+ yards that no one else on the team can.

Also- whitner sucks and is all hype, evans never complains but you defend whitner....and trent....hmmmm amazing.

Evans had one bad game and now you all feel like you were right all along...why did trent get 3+ years to suck but it was always "the line" "The coaching" "the receivers..."

Lame just really lame.

TO had about twice as many balls thrown his way genius, also he was personally responsible for 3 picks by not trying hard enough to get to the ball, also Lee is much faster and has better quickness and hands. Lee I believe had 1 drop last years as opposed to TO's 10+ ya really out-performed him.?????

ONE BAD GAME?! EVANS = Ferarri?! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! I didn't know you were a comedian! Thanks for the laugh!

Evans was more like a Pontiac Soltice. This year, he's been playing like a Ford Pinto. Just to prove my point, lets look at the Evans' stats:

4-34

0-0

5-54

1-6

Bringing his 4 game total to a whopping 10 receptions, for a mind boggling 94 yards and 0 TD's. That's 23.5 yards per game for a #1 WR, that's making $9+ million a year. If Evans were to continue that stat total for the rest of the year, he would finish with: 40 receptions and 376 yards.

Okay, back to the facts. In 2009, Terrell Owens was suppose to take some of the double coverage off of Evans to get Evans more open. Let's see how Evans did in 2009:

3-25

1-32 1TD

4-31

2-60

2-11

4-68 1TD

5-75 1TD

2-29

4-50 2TD

1-15

2-40

1-38

1-11

3-35 1TD

5-43

4-49 1TD

So that's 44 receptions, 612 yards and 7 TD's. So that's 38.25 yards per game.

So you're "ONE BAD GAME" is a bunch of crap. Look at the stats, there are multiple bad games up there.

Here's the mostly likely scenarios of why Evans numbers are this horrible:

1. Evans played hard until he got the contract extension during the 2008 season. Evans stats that year, 63 receptions for 1,017 yards. After the big payday, Evans decided he got the fat paycheck and doesn't need to play that hard anymore.

2. Evans is straight line deep threat and the guy who could constantly throw him the deep pass (also was Evans' friend) J.P. Losman's last year on the team was in 2008. Either Evans only play is the deep pass or Evans is disgruntled about Losman and hasn't been trying hard for the Bills QB's.

3. Just like Peerless Price, Evans is starting to lose his elusive speed.

4. Evans is tired of losing and has given up on the team

5. Any Combination of the above.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/4/1729740/three-good-and-three-bad-jets-38-bills-14#storyjump

"Performance from certain players: Someone tell me why Lee Evans can't catch the ball all of a sudden. For someone that Chan Gailey is clearly trying to utilize more, and that many prognosticators surmise is wasting away in Buffalo, you would think Evans welcomes the work and would make the most of his opportunities."

"Buffalo receivers not named Evans: Steve Johnson responded to his benching well. He's starting to become the possession receiver that Gailey thinks he can become. David Nelson is a find as an undrafted rookie free agent. He beats coverage and gets open, catches the ball, and can even run after the catch. Good thing that Nix didn't get rid of Roscoe Parrish. He wasn't up to his standards so far against the Jets, but he consistently gives Buffalo a chance by providing good field position on punt returns."

ONE BAD GAME?! EVANS = Ferarri?! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! I didn't know you were a comedian! Thanks for the laugh!

Evans was more like a Pontiac Soltice. This year, he's been playing like a Ford Pinto. Just to prove my point, lets look at the Evans' stats:

4-34

0-0

5-54

1-6

Bringing his 4 game total to a whopping 10 receptions, for a mind boggling 94 yards and 0 TD's. That's 23.5 yards per game for a #1 WR, that's making $9+ million a year. If Evans were to continue that stat total for the rest of the year, he would finish with: 40 receptions and 376 yards.

Okay, back to the facts. In 2009, Terrell Owens was suppose to take some of the double coverage off of Evans to get Evans more open. Let's see how Evans did in 2009:

3-25

1-32 1TD

4-31

2-60

2-11

4-68 1TD

5-75 1TD

2-29

4-50 2TD

1-15

2-40

1-38

1-11

3-35 1TD

5-43

4-49 1TD

So you're "ONE BAD GAME" is a bunch of crap. Look at the stats, there are multiple bad games up there.

1. Evans played hard until he got the contract extension during the 2008 season. Evans stats that year, 63 receptions for 1,017 yards. After the big payday, Evans decided he got the fat paycheck and doesn't need to play that hard anymore.

2. Evans is straight line deep threat and the guy who could constantly throw him the deep pass (also was Evans' friend) J.P. Losman's last year on the team was in 2008. Either Evans only play is the deep pass or Evans is disgruntled about Losman and hasn't been trying hard for the Bills QB's.

You make some great points, Evans numbers have dropped off big time since his contract extension & also since his buddy left.

4-34

0-0

5-54

1-6

Bringing his 4 game total to a whopping 10 receptions, for a mind boggling 94 yards and 0 TD's. That's 23.5 yards per game for a #1 WR, that's making $9+ million a year. If Evans were to continue that stat total for the rest of the year, he would finish with: 40 receptions and 376 yards

The "BRAINS" at one Bills drive will look at these numbers and say: Gee... Lee has been here a long time, and is producing. Lets give him a raise and long term extension!

23.5 yards/game? Most number 1 WR's in this league get 23.5 yards per DRIVE. Year after year and week after week he is easily eliminated from the game plan.

As I said, clowns like Lee Evans keep this team stuck in neutral.

Edited by Azucho98

I want Lee Evens traded for one reason only, by the time this team is playoff bound he will be on the downside of his career by quite a lot. I would like to see a high pick for him in the hopes that we can get a good young player who can develop with the team during the rebuild.

Dude, Whitner had to cheat yesterday and got burned. This was a coaching disission. We can't stop the run so bring up the safety.

Get some new LB's and some hole pluggers or Whitner will suffer all season.

Waive Evans? No comment, this is crazy.

I agree, I don't understand all the hate directed towards Donte after yesterday. It's pretty tough to tackle guys in the open field when the entire defensive line and linebackers fail to even get a fingernail on him. I don't blame Donte for the LT play at all.

The worse part of the team yesterday was the defensive line. They were literally blown off the ball every single play. For all of you out there who hate Stroud, take a look at yesterdays performance with him out of there. Can't blame Poz either. The D Line did nothing to slow the Jets down past the line of scrimmage. Guys like Poz and Whitner had to sit there and try to tackle freight trains with 7 yards momentum on their side, who had the added bonus of running through 5 yard holes. Not an easy task for any NFL player.

There are a lot of problems with this team, but guys like Poz, Stroud and Whitner are not it.

This team needs some big uglies up front on both sides of the ball.

As far as Evans is concerned. He should be traded if that is possible. He has been Mr. invisible for going on three years now. #1 wideouts find ways to make plays. I am sick of the excuses for him too, but just releasing him is a really really bad idea.

The stat sheet for each game this year confrims this assertion on productivity. Donte is actually 12th in the NFL in tackles. The SS should not be the leading tackler in a 3-4 defense. It explains why the Bills have the worst Run D in the league.

+1000 Whitner's biggest sin was that he was drafted 8th overall. Let me ask all of you who can't stand Whitner. If he was a 2nd round pick, would you still want him released? Probably not. Whitner will never be a hall of famer. But he is an above average safety who can tackle and make all the ordinary plays. He is not Ed Reed, but he is not part of the problem either.

The problem with Evans is that he is very inconsistant, gets taken out of game plans by avergae corners and defenses and really is a #2 reciever. Actually, he is an AVERAGE #2 reciever given his production. It is not his fault the Bills are paying him 9 million, but if they can get something decent for him, I would do it. Either do that, or get a real long term answer in here at the #1 WR position and allow Evans to settle into being a 2 or 3 becasue that it what he is. Teams get in trouble when they sign or draft guys and expect them to be something different or better than they actually are.

4-34

0-0

5-54

1-6

3-25

1-32 1TD

4-31

2-60

2-11

4-68 1TD

5-75 1TD

2-29

4-50 2TD

1-15

2-40

1-38

1-11

3-35 1TD

5-43

4-49 1TD

And this has nothing to do with who the QB was? Funny, how his numbers took an immediate dump at the same time Trent became our starter. He also noticeably was more effective when the switch was made last year to Fitz, who isnt much better, but usually takes a couple more shots to him a game than Trent ever did.

Look at how un-moss like Randy Moss was in Oak...they all said he lost a step too, then he went to NE and broke all the single season WR records that very year. Lee Evans would undoubtedly have SUBSTANTIALLY better numbers on a team with even a decent QB. The QB's Lee has played with during his extension are some of the worst in the NFL. In fact, lets grade them on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst.

JP: 2

Trent: 1

Fitz: 3.5

And players like Steve Johnson have had a couple more catches here and there because they also drop a ton of balls and the opposing D doesnt give them any where NEAR the attention Lee gets. Lee gets the best DB on the other team every game, and gets doubled because they dont fear our QB, TE, or other WR's.

And FYI to those who say he wont go over the middle: This is such a stupid statement...If you ever played football on any level, even Madden for crying out loud, you would know that the WR isnt the one deciding his route, its the play call. If you dont like that he isnt being used in the middle more, complain about the OC and the play calling. Its not like they call for him to go over the middle and he come out of the huddle and runs what ever he wants instead.

And this has nothing to do with who the QB was? Funny, how his numbers took an immediate dump at the same time Trent became our starter. He also noticeably was more effective when the switch was made last year to Fitz, who isnt much better, but usually takes a couple more shots to him a game than Trent ever did.

Look at how un-moss like Randy Moss was in Oak...they all said he lost a step too, then he went to NE and broke all the single season WR records that very year. Lee Evans would undoubtedly have SUBSTANTIALLY better numbers on a team with even a decent QB. The QB's Lee has played with during his extension are some of the worst in the NFL. In fact, lets grade them on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst.

JP: 2

Trent: 1

Fitz: 3.5

And players like Steve Johnson have had a couple more catches here and there because they also drop a ton of balls and the opposing D doesnt give them any where NEAR the attention Lee gets. Lee gets the best DB on the other team every game, and gets doubled because they dont fear our QB, TE, or other WR's.

And FYI to those who say he wont go over the middle: This is such a stupid statement...If you ever played football on any level, even Madden for crying out loud, you would know that the WR isnt the one deciding his route, its the play call. If you dont like that he isnt being used in the middle more, complain about the OC and the play calling. Its not like they call for him to go over the middle and he come out of the huddle and runs what ever he wants instead.

Alpha - While I do respect your opinion on here a lot, I do disagree about Evans. Evans has never been a #1 WR and the Bills wrongly overpaid him. In the Moulds/Price combo, Evans would be Price.

The #2 CB was covering Evans yesterday and shut him down. How bad is it going to look against Revis? As for the double coverage, Lee doesn't have the physical capability to shed the double coverage like a true #1 WR can.

How does Evans go from making amazingly athletic tip-toed TD's in the endzone from a few years ago, to dropping easily catchable balls? Look at the five reasons that I gave above, I bet the answer is there.

With your QB comparison, you have Fitz rated above Losman. With Losman, Evans had seasons of 1,292 yards and 1,017 yards receiving. But yet, Evans has been posting his lowest numbers to date with a higher rated QB? That doesn't make sense? (See the 5 reasons I stated)

Alpha - While I do respect your opinion on here a lot, I do disagree about Evans. Evans has never been a #1 WR and the Bills wrongly overpaid him. In the Moulds/Price combo, Evans would be Price.

The #2 CB was covering Evans yesterday and shut him down. How bad is it going to look against Revis? As for the double coverage, Lee doesn't have the physical capability to shed the double coverage like a true #1 WR can.

How does Evans go from making amazingly athletic tip-toed TD's in the endzone from a few years ago, to dropping easily catchable balls? Look at the five reasons that I gave above, I bet the answer is there.

With your QB comparison, you have Fitz rated above Losman. With Losman, Evans had seasons of 1,292 yards and 1,017 yards receiving. But yet, Evans has been posting his lowest numbers to date with a higher rated QB? That doesn't make sense? (See the 5 reasons I stated)

As I respect your opinnion on here a lot, I too have to disagree on this too. Evans is not a Moulds type player, that is a given, not many players are as Moulds probably is a HOF talent on another team.

But, the thing about you saying he was facing a #2 corner yesterday, that isnt really fair. Cromartie is easily the #1 corner on most teams in the NFL. He isnt your typical #2, he is only #2 because Revis is #1. So lets be fair here, Cromartie isnt exactly a slouch.

And yes, I rated Fitz ahead of JP because JP underperformed before and after that one good year. So while he and Evans had a good connection for one season, JP severely regressed going into the following year and never found any kind of rhythm again. Maybe it was JP own lack of skills or maybe it was the coaching and mishandling of him, but he was never the same again. Fitz isnt as chaotic and out control as JP became, which is why I rated him higher.

In terms of Evans performance making tip toe catches to dropping 2 passes...you may have a point that the guy is just deflated and lost in this abysmal cycle of QB's. Honestly, can't really blame him, it would wear on me too. Let's not forget the competitive drive it takes to make it to this level and play at this level and what a toll losing takes on that.

I already sighted Randy Moss...but remember Barry Sanders? He retired at the top of his game with the rushing record right in his sights because the dysmal Lions sucked all his passion and life for the game out of him. Its tough on these competitors, and even worse when you are a WR because there is not much you can do if the QB cant get you the ball.

The guy has the talent, but the team around him isnt talented enough to utilize it.

Edited by Alphadawg7

As I respect your opinnion on here a lot, I too have to disagree on this too. Evans is not a Moulds type player, that is a given, not many players are as Moulds probably is a HOF talent on another team.

But, the thing about you saying he was facing a #2 corner yesterday, that isnt really fair. Cromartie is easily the #1 corner on most teams in the NFL. He isnt your typical #2, he is only #2 because Revis is #1. So lets be fair here, Cromartie isnt exactly a slouch.

And yes, I rated Fitz ahead of JP because JP underperformed before and after that one good year. So while he and Evans had a good connection for one season, JP severely regressed going into the following year and never found any kind of rhythm again. Maybe it was JP own lack of skills or maybe it was the coaching and mishandling of him, but he was never the same again. Fitz isnt as chaotic and out control as JP became, which is why I rated him higher.

In terms of Evans performance making tip toe catches to dropping 2 passes...you may have a point that the guy is just deflated and lost in this abysmal cycle of QB's. Honestly, can't really blame him, it would wear on me too. Let's not forget the competitive drive it takes to make it to this level and play at this level and what a toll losing takes on that.

I already sighted Randy Moss...but remember Barry Sanders? He retired at the top of his game with the rushing record right in his sights because the dysmal Lions sucked all his passion and life for the game out of him. Its tough on these competitors, and even worse when you are a WR because there is not much you can do if the QB cant get you the ball.

The guy has the talent, but the team around him isnt talented enough to utilize it.

I agree with your post. But if I were in Nix's position, I would be demading much more return from my $9+ million dollar a year investment. Maybe a change of scenery would do wonders to revive Evans' career. But, who is willing to take on Evans' contract?

The team needs a lot more talent and one more draft/offseason is not going to fix it.

But he isn't.

These posts crack me up...what is a guy supposed to do, block for the QB, and throw the ball to himself.

Evans, Moulds, Owens, they all look average on this team....put him on a team with a QB and an O-line, and a few opportunities, and people would be making these posts.

This team will only go as far as the O/D line takes them....and right now, that is nowhere