Teams are built through the draft....

Booger

In reality, or to people that can accept reality, watching/reading/listening to everything that has gone down with the Bills in the past few weeks/months truely confirms that the only true way to build a francise it through the draft. I know I may be stating the obivous, but as I continue to read peoples posts and comments it seems as if other teams baggage is quickly deemed the "savior". This goes as far as "the QB situtation being solved with Fitz". The guy has been in the league 6 years and been on 3 seperate teams (2 years in B-LO). If he was to be an every day starter on a regular basis in the NFL he would have been there by now and would have beaten out his competition not slid in by default

The Bills are truely 2-4 years away from being a Playoff contender, especailly being in the AFC East. This is reality. We need to have confidence in Gailey and Nix and need to understand that players such as EVANS, JACKSON, McGHEE, STROUD even KELSAY wont be around when the Bills truly become a playoff contender. If this means letting Vets go (Mitchell) or trading away players such as the ones above for picks or youth so be it. I am a believer in Evans and dont feel that we have seen his true potential but at this point I dont believe you ever will in Buffalo so why not get him to a team that could use a good WR for a 2nd round pick. He is going to be 30 next year. Face it, the Bills are rebuilding, starting from scratch. Save LYNCH, trade JACKSON...lynch is 5 years younger. Everyone is sick of getting rid of the "talent" but when the talent wont be there to help you in 2, 3, 4 years whats the difference?

Anyway, enough with the ORTON for LYNCH....enough of the Castoffs are the Saviors...only time, good drafts and good player development within is what will cure the BILLS

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with building through the draft with everything excpet QB. Nothing worng there with building through the draft, but QB more than any position seems ot be more failures than sucesses. So having said that, I'd be fine with bringing in some established guy there. It's been proven you can win with a Trent Dilfer and an exceptional team around him. Does that mean I think Fitz can be that guy? Maybe, but would prefer someone with a bit stronger arm and you build an exceptional team.

I wouldn't be too upset if the Bills drafted a LT, OLB and DE next year and signed a mid level QB instead of taking chance on drafting one. I think you could improve quicker that way. Drafting QB's is very risky. I also can't imagine RW being willing to pay the going rate for a 1st round QB. All 1st rounders are expensive, but for QB's the price goes up. Maybe a rookie wage scale by next year will solve that issue?

In reality, or to people that can accept reality, watching/reading/listening to everything that has gone down with the Bills in the past few weeks/months truely confirms that the only true way to build a francise it through the draft. I know I may be stating the obivous, but as I continue to read peoples posts and comments it seems as if other teams baggage is quickly deemed the "savior". This goes as far as "the QB situtation being solved with Fitz". The guy has been in the league 6 years and been on 3 seperate teams (2 years in B-LO). If he was to be an every day starter on a regular basis in the NFL he would have been there by now and would have beaten out his competition not slid in by default

The Bills are truely 2-4 years away from being a Playoff contender, especailly being in the AFC East. This is reality. We need to have confidence in Gailey and Nix and need to understand that players such as EVANS, JACKSON, McGHEE, STROUD even KELSAY wont be around when the Bills truly become a playoff contender. If this means letting Vets go (Mitchell) or trading away players such as the ones above for picks or youth so be it. I am a believer in Evans and dont feel that we have seen his true potential but at this point I dont believe you ever will in Buffalo so why not get him to a team that could use a good WR for a 2nd round pick. He is going to be 30 next year. Face it, the Bills are rebuilding, starting from scratch. Save LYNCH, trade JACKSON...lynch is 5 years younger. Everyone is sick of getting rid of the "talent" but when the talent wont be there to help you in 2, 3, 4 years whats the difference?

Anyway, enough with the ORTON for LYNCH....enough of the Castoffs are the Saviors...only time, good drafts and good player development within is what will cure the BILLS

we took a big step in building through the draft by signing a contract extension to a subpar converted DE who gets beat like he stole something every sunday....so much for that sound logic. :bag:

Teams are built CHEAPLY through the draft. Teams are built in all different ways.

Um, yeah and you can spend a ton of money and fail as well. Like the REdskins. Snyder has been spending boatloads for years. Oakland - spends dollaz and fails.

Don't pretend that there's one true way.

Most successful teams use all methods of shaping their roster-draft, free agency, trades, resigning your own players, etc. No team has won by building exclusively by the draft since the free agency era started. Maybe back in the 1060's and 1970's you built by the draft, but that was about all you had other than the rare trade.

Um, yeah and you can spend a ton of money and fail as well. Like the REdskins. Snyder has been spending boatloads for years. Oakland - spends dollaz and fails.

Don't pretend that there's one true way.

And if you spend it right, you can win a championship. Who was the Saints Superbowl MVP quarterback-Oh yea, Drew Brees who they signed as a free agent. They also had a guy you might remember playing DB-Jabari Greer who was a free agent. They had many others too. Who caught the winning TD for the Giants a few years ago in the Super Bowl-free agent Plaxico Burress.

Lee Evans in particular is signed for probably another 4 or 5 years and could be more productive with a team around him and a QB that can get him the ball. McGee will be gone because we have to rotate our DBs every 4 years or so...lol. Stroud will likely be gone and Kelsay will remain to be high paid, below average roll player.

Didn't the New England Patriots win its first super bowl after signing 19 free agents in one off season. As posted earlier, there are many ways to build a team. This team needs to add good players any way it can. Free agency, trades and through the draft.

In addition, it can take less than 2-4 years. If the bills found a great qb, look at what happened in Atlanta when they drafted Ryan. They went from the 3rd worst team in the league to one of the best the next season.

I think the assertion is there has to be a drafted team that is a solid core before you add that QB that puts you over the top. While the Bills were drafting garbage, teams like the Saints drafted starters over the past 4 years. So when they added Brees and Jabari Greer, they complemented the solid team they already were.

You just can't keep missing on complete drafts. Despite being one of the least talented teams in the NFL, the Bills have 1 contributor from the 2010 draft, and a TOTAL of 14 contributors from the last 8 drafts (Spiller, Wood, Byrd, Levitre, McKelvin, Bell, S. Johnson, Lynch, Poslusny, Whitner, K. Williams, Parrish, Evans and Kelsay) . And out of these, only Lynch and Byrd have made the Pro Bowl. NOT ONE of these players is an indisputable stud that makes us better than anyone else.

That just can't happen. Our drafts must be better or we're doomed no matter what trades we make or free agents we bring in.

In order to get better and build a solid team is to have it all. A foundation, a plan, a total commitment, leadership. The Bills don't have all that and to point the finger is to point it at one person. I'm not saying RW is the bad guy, but it ultimately rests with him. He may or may not be putting his two cents in and making calls or he's having someone in the organization doing it. It takes everyone to be on the same page at the same time to get it done rght. I love the Bills, and will always be a fan, but feel that they are not on the same page right now. Even if they are trying to get there, their just not doing it. Maybe it will take someone new to own the team and just gut the front office and start out as a new team. I really feel RW should have cleaned house all the way and started out fresh if he wanted to bring the team to a winner. That did not happen, nor will it until the team is either transfered to a new owner or Ralph does go to his resting place.

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The ONLY way to rebuild a team is through the draft? No trades, no free agents? I suppose the Bills didn't trade to get Cornelius Bennet? Did we draft Steve Tasker? Pete Metzlaars? James Lofton? Name me a team since 2000 that has gone to or won the superbowl that didn't rely on trades or free agency to strengthen the team. Is the draft important..yup. Is it the ONL way to rebuild a team...hell no.

The Bills, especially, must build through the draft. We are at a huge disadvantage in recruiting free agents. We can't change the rep of the city but we can get better as a franchise and that may draw some people.

PTR

There it is in a nutshell. We have to start WINNING before we can draw good freeagents again. How? Draft well and coach em up

That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The ONLY way to rebuild a team is through the draft? No trades, no free agents? I suppose the Bills didn't trade to get Cornelius Bennet? Did we draft Steve Tasker? Pete Metzlaars? James Lofton? Name me a team since 2000 that has gone to or won the superbowl that didn't rely on trades or free agency to strengthen the team. Is the draft important..yup. Is it the ONL way to rebuild a team...hell no.

Those were complementary players to a team already loaded with hall of fame players. You're not going to find a Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, or Bruce Smith in free agency (unless they're on the last gasp of their career). You're especially not going to get those types of players to come to Buffalo with the current view of the city and franchise.

Once you have elite players to build around, then you can acquire quality complementary players in free agency. As of now, we have no elite players to build around yet.

The Bills, especially, must build through the draft. We are at a huge disadvantage in recruiting free agents. We can't change the rep of the city but we can get better as a franchise and that may draw some people.

PTR

RW will have passed by the time this team gets to the playoffs again...

Sorry, but I have lost complete faith in Nix / Gailey building this team through the draft. not if their eye for talent is Cornell Green and Kelsay.

So far they hit one on one draft pick in the last draft in an area that wasn't even needed, they failed to upgrade WR-TE-RT-LT-C....2x OLB NT that's pretty sad.

Didn't the New England Patriots win its first super bowl after signing 19 free agents in one off season. As posted earlier, there are many ways to build a team. This team needs to add good players any way it can. Free agency, trades and through the draft.

In addition, it can take less than 2-4 years. If the bills found a great qb, look at what happened in Atlanta when they drafted Ryan. They went from the 3rd worst team in the league to one of the best the next season.

It wasn't just drafting Matt Ryan, it started with the GM stolen from the Patriots in Demitroff. Then as GM he hired Mike Smith as HC and as HC he went on to hire experienced veteran assistant coaches like ex Bills HC Mike Mularkeyas OC. Then in free agency they got Michael Turner and rebuilt the O line and D, yea Matt Ryan helped, but it was a complete revamp.

BTW that makes a great point on how to build a team quickly and not in the fashion of just the draft and having it take 3+ years. The Falcons went from worst to first in ONE YEAR! 4-12 to 11-5 The Dolphins did the exact same thing only by bringing FA QB Chad Pennington,they spent their first pick on LT Jake Long. Their story is even more significant in that they went 1-15 to 11-5

The way the Falcons and Dolphins rebuilt in one year is something that Nix and Gailey failed to emulate this year, at the rate they move it will take 3-5 years ...and even then I have doubt about those two building anything.

PTR

True, but we also seem to be at a huge disadvantage in the draft too.