Chris Kelsay - the facts

rpcolosi

Alright - So I haven't posted in awhile but a few things are bugging me.

1.) I was a huge Kelsay hater - the guy never gets sacks, he was a "bust" for a 2nd round DE, etc. but then I started to look at him as a DE and not the second coming of aaron schobel. I recommend you all do the same. The guy is, and has been, our best DE against the run since he got here. he is going to continue to be solid against the run. This is no different then having a guy like Dwan Edwards brought in. both are solid all around players who will generate a small pass rush, but who excel at stopping the run.

2.) I hate as much as anyone that he is asked to drop into coverage. This is to the fault of the DC, and we can only hope it will change once they get a respectable LB that can cover TEs. For the time being, Bryan Scott is sadly our answer. Is he a pass covering LB? not at all. He is, however, an everydown player who reacts well and diagnoses plays. His weakness is, and will be, speed. If the DC continues to use him in positions as a stand up 3-4 outside backer that is used to rush the passer and contain RBs, he will be a solid, every down player. However, if he is used at anypoint inthe future to COVER a TE or a RB out in the flat, then shame on them. Note - The bills under Jauron were NOTORIOUS for placing Schobel and Kelsay and Denny back in coverage positions. this made no sense then and makes no sense now.

3.) His weaknesses? speed. Pure and simple he isn't a speed rusher or a pass covering LB. He is a run stopper and a containment player who also plays on special teams (yes watch and he actually is in there for plays).

Is he worth 6mil? It's not much of a raise (250k/yr) from his last deal so at the risk of creating another hole on our team its not a horrible move. We are a team with a LOT of needs. He is a solid contributor and losing him is just creating more holes we must fill in the draft and FA.

finally, after I get flamed at, don't take my word but look at what Scouts INC has to say about him:

"He will be an outside linebacker in the Bills' 3-4 defense. He is a player who is used to playing with his hand on the ground. Kelsay is a good athlete, however, and he should be able to make the adjustment. He shows very good initial quickness as an up-the-field player. He is small but uses his hands well to keep blockers off his body. He shows good lateral speed and range. Kelsay might struggle early versus the run as it could be tough for him to diagnose as a stand-up LB."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he worth 6mil? It's not much of a raise (250k/yr) from his last deal so at the risk of creating another hole on our team its not a horrible move. We are a team with a LOT of needs. He is a solid contributor and losing him is just creating more holes we must fill in the draft and FA.

THIS!

1) The pay is grossly over stated here in terms of it's ridiculousness...it's substantial but it's only going to be seen as less substantial each year from now on certainly w/ the new CBA coming UP!

2) It is a MUST make stabilizing move for reasons you stated.

3) Sends a message this is a great place to play your career out and we'll reward guys who give the program.

4) For all these reasons this is not only a MUST make from the point of depth, but it could be valuable for US in terms of money VERY SOON...Kelsay was #2 in all DE's w/ tackles last year and obviously the coaches think he will continue to adjust to 3-4 and they do know more than the board...sorry guys it's true.

Bottom line, GREAT POST!

I agree.

I generally appreciated your well-thought comments, but I can't agree with this one statement, "He is a solid contributor and losing him is just creating more holes we must fill in the draft and FA."

As far as I'm concerned, DE is a top 4 need on this team. Paying someone $6 million a year for four years is a waste of money. Kelsay isn't a difference maker, so he isn't a true contributor to the solution of bettering the Bills defense. I will give you that Kelsay is better at stopping the run than in pass defense, but if Buffalo is last in run defense (they were last year), then obviously, Kelsay can't be that much of a difference in stopping or helping stop the run from one side. Granted, I will give you he is solid in his work ethic, character, and he would make for a fine backup DE, but I would rather lose Kelsay to free agency knowing that Kelsay is being paid quality starter money for quality backup level performance and truly isn't a current or future difference maker for the Bills.

I generally appreciated your well-thought comments, but I can't agree with this one statement, "He is a solid contributor and losing him is just creating more holes we must fill in the draft and FA."

As far as I'm concerned, DE is a top 4 need on this team. Paying someone $6 million a year for four years is a waste of money. Kelsay isn't a difference maker, so he isn't a true contributor to the solution of bettering the Bills defense. I will give you that Kelsay is better at stopping the run than in pass defense, but if Buffalo is last in run defense (they were last year), then obviously, Kelsay can't be that much of a difference in stopping or helping stop the run from one side. Granted, I will give you he is solid in his work ethic, character, and he would make for a fine backup DE, but I would rather lose Kelsay to free agency knowing that Kelsay is being paid quality starter money for quality backup level performance and truly isn't a current or future difference maker for the Bills.

He IS a solid contributor...just b/c he's not a "difference maker" doesn't mean we wouldn't simply be creating more holes (which we CAN'T DO) by letting him go. He'll continue to improve in the new scheme. And the money is not nearly the waste you think it is, that entire aspect is overblown...look at the atmosphere...new CBA...decent timing...we don't know the structure of it anyway...

MUST make move.

Just when I thought some Bill's fans couldnt get any more delusional, along comes the Kelsay contract rationalizers.

For the record...I've been quite critical of many things...never ever rationalized JP or Trent or Maybin or Poz...ever...pretty much a standard hater...so don't think that I'm delusional. This really actually does make sense here.

3.) His weaknesses? speed. Pure and simple he isn't a speed rusher or a pass covering LB. He is a run stopper and a containment player who also plays on special teams (yes watch and he actually is in there for plays).

This post was absolute nonsense (no disrespect intended). An outside linebacker in a 3-4 needs to be fast. He is not a run stopper, either. Have you seen him trying to make open-field tackles these last few games? Yes, he's good at stoping the run as a defensive end. It's a totally different ballgame as an outside linebacker.

Why this front office continues to insult its fanbase is beyond me. After this contract, Jason Peters for $8M a year doesn't seem so bad!!!!

This post was absolute nonsense (no disrespect intended). An outside linebacker in a 3-4 needs to be fast. He is not a run stopper, either. Have you seen him trying to make open-field tackles these last few games? Yes, he's good at stoping the run as a defensive end. It's a totally different ballgame as an outside linebacker.

Why this front office continues to insult its fanbase is beyond me. After this contract, Jason Peters for $8M a year doesn't seem so bad!!!!

Nonsense that people actually see he is a solid player? hardly. also, Peters wanted over 10mil, not 8. and finally - not all 3-4 OLB's are built on speed. go ahead and tell me that Jarret Johnson on the Ravens or Bryan Thomas of the Jets is that much faster then Kelsay. They play the same position The speed OLB you are talking about for both teams is Terrel Suggs and Calvin Pace - And that equates to where Maybin is/should line up. Sadly we only have Torbor there (and frankly Chris Ellis has far more value as a pass rusher then torbor, so I'd rather him therE).

but if you are going ot make remarks about "all OLBs are fast" then you better get a look at the "unsung" OLBs in great 3-4s across the league...

Chris Kelsay *already is* a hole on the team. He is not serviceable. His loss would not *create* a hole on the team. HE IS THE HOLE!

Exactly. He is ONE of holes. And so we just locked up a HOLE for another 4 years. I don't fuggin care if he was paid league minimum, HE IS ONE OF THE HOLES. The fact that he makes anything resembling starter money is a joke.

Some of you try to rationalize everything as if this is a competent organization. It's not.

What a joke. Seriously, some of you........remove yourself from the boyhood crush you have for the Bills. We all like them, but really, what else will it take before the last few hangers on, will give up too?

HE IS A HOLE. :thumbsup:

1.) I was a huge Kelsay hater - the guy never gets sacks, he was a "bust" for a 2nd round DE, etc. but then I started to look at him as a DE and not the second coming of aaron schobel. I recommend you all do the same. The guy is, and has been, our best DE against the run since he got here. he is going to continue to be solid against the run. This is no different then having a guy like Dwan Edwards brought in. both are solid all around players who will generate a small pass rush, but who excel at stopping the run.

2.) I hate as much as anyone that he is asked to drop into coverage. This is to the fault of the DC, and we can only hope it will change once they get a respectable LB that can cover TEs. For the time being, Bryan Scott is sadly our answer. Is he a pass covering LB? not at all. He is, however, an everydown player who reacts well and diagnoses plays. His weakness is, and will be, speed. If the DC continues to use him in positions as a stand up 3-4 outside backer that is used to rush the passer and contain RBs, he will be a solid, every down player. However, if he is used at anypoint inthe future to COVER a TE or a RB out in the flat, then shame on them. Note - The bills under Jauron were NOTORIOUS for placing Schobel and Kelsay and Denny back in coverage positions. this made no sense then and makes no sense now.

finally, after I get flamed at, don't take my word but look at what Scouts INC has to say about him:

"He will be an outside linebacker in the Bills' 3-4 defense. He is a player who is used to playing with his hand on the ground. Kelsay is a good athlete, however, and he should be able to make the adjustment. He shows very good initial quickness as an up-the-field player. He is small but uses his hands well to keep blockers off his body. He shows good lateral speed and range. Kelsay might struggle early versus the run as it could be tough for him to diagnose as a stand-up LB."

Well said.

:worthy:

he's not worth the league min to me

Then ***** about him...not his money. If you straight up want him gone...I'm going to tell you right now you are not wise and would runt he team into the ground creating more holes building no depth and further burdening an already burdened FO...but that's your right...but too much of the frenzy is focused on the amount of money...and that's just ridiculous.