Carrington and troupe

bkc

I think it is time to activate Carrington and give Troupe and increased role. After all how much worse can Carrington be then stroud . Perhaps he misses a assignment here and there but he has to be able to hold up to the run better , even if is slightly worse lets get him some game expierence. As for Troupe I would like to see him in on all running downs. I have no problem with bouncing williams outside to see if he can find a spot on the end in certain packages. Just a thought

I think it is time to activate Carrington and give Troupe and increased role. After all how much worse can Carrington be then stroud . Perhaps he misses a assignment here and there but he has to be able to hold up to the run better , even if is slightly worse lets get him some game expierence. As for Troupe I would like to see him in on all running downs. I have no problem with bouncing williams outside to see if he can find a spot on the end in certain packages. Just a thought

Well you cant just sit Williams just because you want to play Troup. Williams had a great game last week why in the world would you sit him? As for Carrington i dont know why he is inactive for the first three games it makes no sense.

Well you cant just sit Williams just because you want to play Troup. Williams had a great game last week why in the world would you sit him? As for Carrington i dont know why he is inactive for the first three games it makes no sense.

Not saying sit williams at all. Like to see how he does at end in certain scenerios and clearly he is the nt on passing downs which means at least 50 percent of the snaps, probalbly much more

Just a thought as I am no 34 expert or close to it... but since kyle williams is already undersized to be a true NT, would I make sense to shift him to DE ?

Is there any way he could be successful in that transition? if he lost a little bit of weight perhaps? is he not tall enough?

In my un-educated point of view he would be a good space eater on end and eat up a tackle and or guard clogging up the outside, and with Troup in the middle (hopefully he improves and can make an impact next year) that would be a lot of "space" taken up by our front 3 if we could ever get some athletic LB's to make plays, at least in my head it seems like a good idea

Carrington situation is strange. My only guess is, and its probably a stupid guess but whatever, is that Carrington was drafted to play the 5-technique in the 3-4, and until Buffalo is truly ready to play the 3-4 (still lots of 4-3 lineups going on out there), they really don't want to bring Carrington in.

Posted this in another thread that has moved off the front page, but here's Gailey on Carrington from Chris Brown's Friday Q&A...

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/24/fan-friday-9-24/

4 – Hey Chris, I was wondering what the deal is with Alex Carrington I thought he was doing well in camp and I noticed he hasn’t even been active. Do you think he will play later in the season or is he turning out to be a bust?

Dan from western MA

CB: I actually asked coach Gailey what Carrington needs to do in the practice setting to get on the field more for his Bills Digest Q&A. Here was his answer.

He’s earned the right to contribute on Sundays. You’ve just got to deactivate seven players each week and the numbers get you because of special teams. The last two weeks we played teams that have us using nickel packages more and our outside backers are pass rushers and we don’t need as many down linemen.

Now against the Jets this week that may change because they’re more of a two back running team. It’s more of a week to week thing. He’s earned the right to play. It’s just the numbers catch us and we’ve got some more experienced players in those positions.

Posted this in another thread that has moved off the front page, but here's Gailey on Carrington from Chris Brown's Friday Q&A...

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/24/fan-friday-9-24/

Ah yup.

And this should be read by all the Stroud bashers and others critisizing out D-Line for lack of pass-rush - OUR D-Line HASN'T BEEN PLAYING MUCH the last two weeks - they keep playing a 4-2 nickel, which if you consider that our former DE's are now OLBs is really a 2-4 nickel package.

That's a big part of why we keep getting run on - we keep lining up in a nickel.

Bad LB's don't help either.

Edited by BobChalmers

Carrington will not be better than Stroud at this point in his career. I can see giving him some reps but he should not start or play the majority of the snaps.

Who is Troupe?

Edited by Bob in STL

I think the idea is to put Troup in on early downs while Williams plays some DE on early downs. While Carrington helps to spell Stroud and Edwards. I think our run D would be better if Troup played more and if Williams and Troup were on the field at the same time. Carrington might not be better then Stroud but the guy is young and can learn to play better.

Carrington should be getting 20-30 snaps a game while Troup should be playing 40+ snaps a game. Both these guys should be set up to be cornerstones of the defensive line. You don't spend a 2nd and 3rd round pick on guys to not play them.

I think the idea is to put Troup in on early downs while Williams plays some DE on early downs. While Carrington helps to spell Stroud and Edwards. I think our run D would be better if Troup played more and if Williams and Troup were on the field at the same time. Carrington might not be better then Stroud but the guy is young and can learn to play better.

Carrington should be getting 20-30 snaps a game while Troup should be playing 40+ snaps a game. Both these guys should be set up to be cornerstones of the defensive line. You don't spend a 2nd and 3rd round pick on guys to not play them.

Agree 100% here. Only with the Bills in a rebuilding year do you not play your draft picks ionstead usuing mediocre players on the downswing of their career.

Thank you for making my point better then I did.

Carrington is raw. Plus, there is some talent on the defensive line, maybe there isn't a stud, but 3-4 teams do not expect to have stud players on the d-line. The problem with the Bills defense is the linebackers.

no doubt the linebackers are a big problem but why not let the young lineman take their lumps this year so they will be more seasoned next year when we will have a bunch of raw linebackers to break in.

Carrington will not be better than Stroud at this point in his career. I can see giving him some reps but he should not start or play the majority of the snaps.

Who is Troupe?

come on it is a typo relax

as for stoud, he isn't very good so even if Carrington starts out playing at a lower level lets give him the reps.

Ah yup.

And this should be read by all the Stroud bashers and others critisizing out D-Line for lack of pass-rush - OUR D-Line HASN'T BEEN PLAYING MUCH the last two weeks - they keep playing a 4-2 nickel, which if you consider that our former DE's are now OLBs is really a 2-4 nickel package.

That's a big part of why we keep getting run on - we keep lining up in a nickel.

Bad LB's don't help either.

As far as Stroud bashers are concerned, I am at the front of that line. 3-4, 4-3, 4-2, 2-4. It doesn't matter. He gets blown off the ball on 50% of the plays and teams run right at him with confidence and regularity. When he finishes a play near the line of scrimmage, come talk to me about the linebackers. I can't defend the LBs, but Stroud is a heartless joke as a football player! Seriously, just watch him. I'm sure he's a great guy though and will soon get a contract extension.

Did you see him get manhandled by Alge f'n Crumpler??

Edited by JPS

Who is Troupe?

It is really painful to watch Stroud at this point in his career. He was decent two years ago, but looks weak at this point. He gets pushed around more than any big D lineman. He just doesn't have the strength to compete any longer. I am all for Carrington getting some of his reps at this point. On a team that has such weak starters on its front seven, there is absolutely no reason that a big third round lineman with some athleticsm should not be in the regular rotation. It is not like he has Julius Peppers in front of him. The evaluation of talent, and the using of that talent, is the biggest downfall of our organization. Many of the wrong guys are drafted, traded for, or brought in as free agents. And the ones that are decent either sit on the bench, are inactive, or are put in positions they have no business playing. So pathetic it is sometimes laughable.

It is really painful to watch Stroud at this point in his career. He was decent two years ago, but looks weak at this point. He gets pushed around more than any big D lineman. He just doesn't have the strength to compete any longer. I am all for Carrington getting some of his reps at this point. On a team that has such weak starters on its front seven, there is absolutely no reason that a big third round lineman with some athleticsm should not be in the regular rotation. It is not like he has Julius Peppers in front of him. The evaluation of talent, and the using of that talent, is the biggest downfall of our organization. Many of the wrong guys are drafted, traded for, or brought in as free agents. And the ones that are decent either sit on the bench, are inactive, or are put in positions they have no business playing. So pathetic it is sometimes laughable.

Will definitlely concur that Stroud is not making any plays. Like I said, Carrington should be geteting some reps but i recall him having major problems taking on first string blockers.

Agreed. I like Carrington and have some high hopes for him, but he's still a rookie out of a small school and he's caught in a major numbers crunch. We have NINE DEs on the roster. We can only play 2 DEs at once, since we play a mix of 3-4 and 4-3 and he's NOT a 4-3 DE it's tough hill to climb. I suspect that he'll play more and more throughout the year and definitely more as we more completely transition into a 3-4.

My theory is that Carrington isnt very good. I think this becasue The same FO that picked him out of a hat resigned Kelsay for 10000000x what he should have been paid. I dont think anyone in the Bills FO has a clue. How could anyone after what has happened these 10 years?

My theory is that Carrington isnt very good. I think this becasue The same FO that picked him out of a hat resigned Kelsay for 10000000x what he should have been paid. I dont think anyone in the Bills FO has a clue. How could anyone after what has happened these 10 years?

thing is how do they know what Carrington is? We didn't see him much in pre-season and he has been inactive in the regular season. I say throw Carrington out there for 20 snaps a game at DE give Stroud, Edwards, and Spencer Johnson less snaps to accommodate Carrington's limited role. If he sucks he sucks but we need to know what he brings and if anything getting real season snaps helps him progress.

Troup has showed some positives in the limited snaps he gets. We really need to find a way to get him out there more often in order to help the run D and his development.