Would it be wise to talk to the players about the 'why'?

I personally think it was the right move to let Edwards go, but from what I gathered, the other players had to hear it on the radio or espn. It may have made some sense immediately after the fact as there are things that need to be done and papers that need to be signed. It has to be really unsettling for the rest of the team, however. This was your starting qb through the preseason and the first couple of games and he was gun shy, mistake prone, and terrible but he was an elected captain too. Any player that really feels like they don't understand is really facing their own mortality as a football players because the writing was on the wall, but I think it would be in the best interest for Chan if he had some sort of players meeting to discuss this release and the reasons why. We don't need a bunch of individuals who are insecure about their jobs as much as we need a team that can come together and rally around Fitz. Hopefully, they will anyway, but it just seems like it might be a time to discuss what your are doing as a group, what the expectations are, and what will happen if the expectations aren't met.

I think you may be trying to be too logical, Logical - first, I think the players can pretty much figure out the 'what & why' behind Edwards' release; second, the players have don't have the level of sensitivity or need for nurturing that you imply; third, once Edwards was benched it was almost impossible to keep him on the roster - how do you have one of your 'offensive captains' sitting on the bench because he refuses to throw the ball downfield when it's required to do so in order to give his teammates a chance to win?

I personally think it was the right move to let Edwards go, but from what I gathered, the other players had to hear it on the radio or espn. It may have made some sense immediately after the fact as there are things that need to be done and papers that need to be signed. It has to be really unsettling for the rest of the team, however. This was your starting qb through the preseason and the first couple of games and he was gun shy, mistake prone, and terrible but he was an elected captain too. Any player that really feels like they don't understand is really facing their own mortality as a football players because the writing was on the wall, but I think it would be in the best interest for Chan if he had some sort of players meeting to discuss this release and the reasons why. We don't need a bunch of individuals who are insecure about their jobs as much as we need a team that can come together and rally around Fitz. Hopefully, they will anyway, but it just seems like it might be a time to discuss what your are doing as a group, what the expectations are, and what will happen if the expectations aren't met.

Please contact the front office at OBD and tell them to hire this guy.

He'll implement your plan perfectly. I'm sure they'll agree, he's just what the team needs.

don't be fooled by the pr - the players know why trent was released - everyone with a brain knows why trent was released

The real question is who "can" find out the why? There are no reporters around here with the sources to find out "why", all that exists around here are opinionists who get paid for bitching and speculating.

Why? Because Gailey determined that he had taken his last snap as a Bill.

i'm wondering if Trent maybe showed a bad or indifferent attitude during the Pats game. Maybe Gailey wanted him to be more involved with Fitz etc and didn't get that from Trent. Perhaps this is why he was let go.....

Could be - had to have been something that isn't in plain sight. Was it the right move to bench Edwards after two poor performances? Absolutely. Was it the right move to release him a week later? That's questionable. Yes he's a captain, yes he's been around 4 yrs (not a huge tenure but long enough to be a presence for a good deal of younger, hopefully up-and-coming players as well as veterans) - I think this is a huge morale hit to the locker room. This is a business with professionals not much different than your law firms, construction companies, and financial institutions. When the economy went down the tubes and business decisions were made to let some of the 'players' at the Corp I work at go, there was almost always a short meeting to let us know who was being let go and if need be, why. As impersonal as Trents release was for the players to find out via TV / Internet, I would view this as a lack of value for each and every one on the team. Does Trent have value on the field as a starting QB? No, but its hard to believe he lacks so much value as a 3rd QB and overall team player to warrant his release three games into the season - unless of course there's something about him we don't see and will probably never see. As a General Manager or Head Coach you are a leader - a leader in all aspects of the game, the business, whatever. How you treat your people has a profound effect on the results achieved on the project site, the conference room, or the football field. I don't know, just my take on the game as a business - I think its the right thing to do to communicate on something like this

Gailey has said from the beginning that they are always looking to upgrade the team and all though i wish this decision would have come at the beginning of the year & that they would've just kept Levi & let Edwards go in a trade or some other capacity at least it is done .

Maybe this too will prove to be a motivating factor to the rest of the guys, it will show them that no job is safe if your not holding up your end of the deal .

I think you may be trying to be too logical, Logical - first, I think the players can pretty much figure out the 'what & why' behind Edwards' release; second, the players have don't have the level of sensitivity or need for nurturing that you imply; third, once Edwards was benched it was almost impossible to keep him on the roster - how do you have one of your 'offensive captains' sitting on the bench because he refuses to throw the ball downfield when it's required to do so in order to give his teammates a chance to win?

If the players had a problem with this it is because they realize they are actually going to have to be productive when they put on their uniforms instead of just "working hard" and collecting a paycheck like many have been for years(ie, Kelsay). Usually people get upset when they have been in a comfort zone for years and it is suddenly yanked away...

These players have been babied enough by Jauron. I respect them being decisive as I suspect the players do in knowing it is for improving the team. Now they know they need to show up each day and give 100%, and mediocrity/ complacency will not fly anymore ... And besides, its not like this required a lot of explanation anyway.... Only wish they saw this in preseason, but I give TE credit for being a good preseason player.

Edited by BilLions

Could be - had to have been something that isn't in plain sight. Was it the right move to bench Edwards after two poor performances? Absolutely. Was it the right move to release him a week later? That's questionable. Yes he's a captain, yes he's been around 4 yrs (not a huge tenure but long enough to be a presence for a good deal of younger, hopefully up-and-coming players as well as veterans) - I think this is a huge morale hit to the locker room. This is a business with professionals not much different than your law firms, construction companies, and financial institutions. When the economy went down the tubes and business decisions were made to let some of the 'players' at the Corp I work at go, there was almost always a short meeting to let us know who was being let go and if need be, why. As impersonal as Trents release was for the players to find out via TV / Internet, I would view this as a lack of value for each and every one on the team. Does Trent have value on the field as a starting QB? No, but its hard to believe he lacks so much value as a 3rd QB and overall team player to warrant his release three games into the season - unless of course there's something about him we don't see and will probably never see. As a General Manager or Head Coach you are a leader - a leader in all aspects of the game, the business, whatever. How you treat your people has a profound effect on the results achieved on the project site, the conference room, or the football field. I don't know, just my take on the game as a business - I think its the right thing to do to communicate on something like this

I believe Monday was a day off for the team. If so, then what, was Gailey going to call everyone back? That's alot of phone calls.