Luck vs Mallett

Haplo848

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a lot of people have written posts about some of the top college QB prospects for next year. This weekend, I decided to take a look at two of them, Ryan Mallett and Andrew Luck. Luck seems to be the consensus top QB (at least by people on this board), but while flipping channels this weekend between the Arkansas vs Alabama game and the Stanford vs Notre Dame game, I wasn't impressed by Luck at all. Granted, he made some good throws, but overall, his performance was underwhelming. I was impressed by Mallett, however. He seems to be able and willing to make all the throws, with the height to see everything and get throws over the line, good awareness of where blitzers are coming from and being able to avoid it/get the ball out in time, as well as very good footwork. To be perfectly honest, I really got an impression of a young Peyton Manning when I watched him. Any thoughts?

LOL Mallett = Peyton. LOL

I watched Luck play UCLA. He looked pretty good in that game.

If the Bills decide to pick a QB with what is likely to be a very high first round pick (if not the number one pick), it will be the most important decision that they will have made in years. A decision (because of the money) that they cannot afford to whiff on. It also will not make any difference unless they figure out how to pass protect between now and then.

I think that Mallett compares favorably to Brady. His build, his arm, and from what I have seen, he is a leader in the huddle and on the sidelines. He leads all of FBS in passing yardage, 2nd in yards per attempt, and he is top 15 in completion percentage at 68.8%, which could be higher if not for his receivers dropping some balls in the 4th quarter on Saturday. He is a QB that can take a team and put them on his shoulders, but would need adequate protection to become elite.

Luck is a different type of QB, one with an awful lot of potential, but as far as which one is more NFL ready, I would have to say Mallett. Luck is a great teammate and leads his team with superior athleticism. He appears to be more willing to take off and run than stay in the pocket and wait for something to open up downfield. He reminds me of Aaron Rodgers, but I question Luck's current ability to be able to read a defense.

Luck is the real deal. Protypical elite prospect, he's got it all. Very smart kid with a good mind for the game.

Mallett is not a bad prospect, just not quite as good. He's a bigger guy with a huge arm, but doesn't read defenses quite as well and just doesn't quite have the same command of the game. He would translate to a Ben Roethlisberger type if he succeeds in the NFL.

I don't see how you could be unimpressed by Luck's performance on Saturday, but impressed with Mallett's. I liked them both going into Saturday, and likewise watched both games. What I saw from Mallett was an unbelievable cannon arm, but also a tendency to trust that arm too much. He forced a couple of throws, threw some costly picks, and most of all...an inability to throw short to intermediate throws with any touch. There are 3 or 4 times I can think of where he threw a 5-10 yarder so hard his receivers couldn't even hold onto it. That's one area I'd like to see him improve. Learn that you can't always throw the heater. Also his accuracy was a little suspect at times.

Luck showed that he can make plays with his feet if not with his arm, threw a couple of nice touch passes too. The first TD, to his TE Fleener is most prominent in my mind. He also showed a bit of extra confidence in his arm, I think the one deep pass to Owusu got picked off when he didn't throw a great ball. He was pretty accurate overall, and seemed to make the right decision with the throw 98% of the time. You could see him go through progressions and most of the time, not force it.

Also on Luck's side...pedigree. His father was a QB at West Virginia, then backed up Warren Moon in Houston from 1984-86 (he was the starter in 1983)

I also saw Luck throw 2 picks and had 2 other picks dropped by dbs. Maybe we already have Luck on our roster in #14. I thought he looked confused at times and that's in college.

I don't see how you could be unimpressed by Luck's performance on Saturday, but impressed with Mallett's. I liked them both going into Saturday, and likewise watched both games. What I saw from Mallett was an unbelievable cannon arm, but also a tendency to trust that arm too much. He forced a couple of throws, threw some costly picks, and most of all...an inability to throw short to intermediate throws with any touch. There are 3 or 4 times I can think of where he threw a 5-10 yarder so hard his receivers couldn't even hold onto it. That's one area I'd like to see him improve. Learn that you can't always throw the heater. Also his accuracy was a little suspect at times.

Luck showed that he can make plays with his feet if not with his arm, threw a couple of nice touch passes too. The first TD, to his TE Fleener is most prominent in my mind. He also showed a bit of extra confidence in his arm, I think the one deep pass to Owusu got picked off when he didn't throw a great ball. He was pretty accurate overall, and seemed to make the right decision with the throw 98% of the time. You could see him go through progressions and most of the time, not force it.

Also on Luck's side...pedigree. His father was a QB at West Virginia, then backed up Warren Moon in Houston from 1984-86 (he was the starter in 1983)

+1

Totally agree with the Mallett = Bledsoe comparison. I don't know why that's a bad thing... Bledsoe made a super bowl and was a quality NFL QB. I would be very happy w/ Mallett. Especially w/ the fact that he's gone against tough SEC competition.

I've seen plenty of good from Luck... but that Notre Dame game was not one of them. I think he will be a quality pro as well, having harbaugh as a coach helps too

Locker is the most athletic of those guys... but just doesn't seem to have the accuracy, plus I can't imagine any future NFL star going 4-20 in a college game

Kellen Moore has the brains, but he's under 6' and has a weak arm.... you can get away with that in college but not in the NFL. The only exceptions I can think of are Flutie, but he was an athletic freak. And Brees, but he has a much stronger arm and has amazing anticipation and accuracy

An under the radar guy that could develop is Ponder down at FSU.

I think that the WR's from this upcoming draft are gonna be special, Green, Floyd, Baldwin and Jones all look like superstars to me

I'm a big Mallet supporter right now. I didnt get to see Luck play this week so I cant comment on the ND game. But out of the 2, I'd take Mallet.

Both, however, are better than anything we have now. And better than anything in this past draft.

also, the kid from Boise is a nice story, but his story ends in college.

I'm a big Mallet supporter right now. I didnt get to see Luck play this week so I cant comment on the ND game. But out of the 2, I'd take Mallet.

Both, however, are better than anything we have now. And better than anything in this past draft.

also, the kid from Boise is a nice story, but his story ends in college.

I saw Luck vs Notre Dame, anyone that watched the actual game and says he is NFL ready, is blind.

You can see that there is talent there, but definitely is not "polished" by any stretch of the imagination.

BTW Ponder is definitely on the radar, not flying under the radar.

In the games I have watched of Mallet, the Bledsoe comparisons seem to be the closest comparisons, he does seem to be statuesque at times, and have a rocket arm. And that comparison has nothing to do with the fact that Bledsoe played for the Bills, the comparison would be there if Bledsoe never played for the Bills.

I'm watching the DVR of the 'bama game tomorrow.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Totally agree with the Mallett = Bledsoe comparison. I don't know why that's a bad thing... Bledsoe made a super bowl and was a quality NFL QB. I would be very happy w/ Mallett. Especially w/ the fact that he's gone against tough SEC competition.

I've seen plenty of good from Luck... but that Notre Dame game was not one of them. I think he will be a quality pro as well, having harbaugh as a coach helps too

Locker is the most athletic of those guys... but just doesn't seem to have the accuracy, plus I can't imagine any future NFL star going 4-20 in a college game

Kellen Moore has the brains, but he's under 6' and has a weak arm.... you can get away with that in college but not in the NFL. The only exceptions I can think of are Flutie, but he was an athletic freak. And Brees, but he has a much stronger arm and has amazing anticipation and accuracy

An under the radar guy that could develop is Ponder down at FSU.

I think that the WR's from this upcoming draft are gonna be special, Green, Floyd, Baldwin and Jones all look like superstars to me

This! Thank you! I'd kill for Drew Bledsoe in his prime right now. I don't know why everyone is making the comparison like it's a bad thing.

I saw Luck vs Notre Dame, anyone that watched the actual game and says he is NFL ready, is blind.

You can see that there is talent there, but definitely is not "polished" by any stretch of the imagination.

BTW Ponder is definitely on the radar, not flying under the radar.

In the games I have watched of Mallet, the Bledsoe comparisons seem to be the closest comparisons, he does seem to be statuesque at times, and have a rocket arm. And that comparison has nothing to do with the fact that Bledsoe played for the Bills, the comparison would be there if Bledsoe never played for the Bills.

I'm watching the DVR of the 'bama game tomorrow.

+1. Anyone singing the praises of Luck didn't watch that game. He looked like, well, Ryan Fitzpatrick. How did Luck do on his SAT's?

I have to edit this post because I just "read up" on Andrew Luck. The game I saw (ND), he show up as a decent, but not great QB. There is a lot a press out there from people who know a lot more than me that says this kid is can't miss. One compared his arrival to Elway's because he does so many things fundamentally right. It'll be interesting how it shakes out.

Edited by JPS

since we get a lot of SEC games down here, Ive seen Mallet play a bunch and have seen him move around. he's no Vick, but he isn't "late in his career Bledsoe" either. he knows how to move in the pocket, slide around, and buy enough time for a WR to get open or to find a spot to throw to.

i know that this will jinx it so it never happens, but im really hoping we draft Mallet. to the point that its almost the only thing im looking forward to. :unsure:

LOL Mallett = Peyton. LOL

Haplo did not say Mallett is = to Peyton. He said Mallett reminded him of a young Peyton. I actually had the same thought watch the game Saturday. One reason was simply a size comparison. Mallett is very tall and thin and reminded me of Manning under center. The other thing that compared to Manning was the amount of adjustments that Mallett seems to be making at the line and the amount he moved around and gesticulated while under center.

I am not saying that Mallett is = to Peyton Manning right now or that he ever will be. I am simply saying that I agree with Haplo. Mallett has similarities to Peyton Manning.

Haplo did not say Mallett is = to Peyton. He said Mallett reminded him of a young Peyton. I actually had the same thought watch the game Saturday. One reason was simply a size comparison. Mallett is very tall and thin and reminded me of Manning under center. The other thing that compared to Manning was the amount of adjustments that Mallett seems to be making at the line and the amount he moved around and gesticulated while under center.

I am not saying that Mallett is = to Peyton Manning right now or that he ever will be. I am simply saying that I agree with Haplo. Mallett has similarities to Peyton Manning.

You know what? I was unnecessarily curt to "LOL" there. I actually don't even remember making that post, but I obviously did make it, so my bad, Haplo.

I like Kellen Moore, too!! They have some nice paint colors. Oh wait, you're talking about the QB.

Seriously, even though he usually isn't playing against top competition, he has at the start of this year(Oregon St)

I've been impressed with his leadership & decision making.

On the other hand, his arm strength and accuracy aren't anything to write home about.

Sorry - Moore looks like a system QB to me - see also Hawaii QB's (and a lot of other WAC QB's, come to think of it.).