Luck vs Mallett

Haplo848

OK I was able to watch the 'Bama @ Mallets last night.

Mallet definitely looks a lot better than luck last week.

In the first half he has able to stand in and make the difficult throws under pressure and 'Bama was blitzing him all game.

Its striking how thin his arms are, he is soo tall and has such thin arms. Its Manute Bol-esque. I would be afraid that an NFL player would snap those twigs off his body.

Although there is some major power in those arms.

Much better throwing motion and foot work than Luck (to be fair Mallet has 2 more years of reps than Luck.)

Two of the interceptions were bad decisions, 1 he was just trying to make something happen.

1st pick in the back of the end zone in the 1st half has a bad decision, he threw it late over the middle. Thats a no-no.

The Second int, is the type of interception I wish Trent Edwards would have thrown. It was 3rd and 11, down by 4 with 4 minutes to play and he was trying to make something happen. The WRs were covered but what do you want him to do? Its 3rd and 11 down by 4, you have to try zip the ball in there and see if the WR can make a play.

The Saftey came over top and picked it off, but I say that is better than dumping it off and punting. The counter argument is you dump it off and go for it on 4-5 but the kid is trying to win the game.

That last interception, was a huge F up. He was clearly throwing it out of bounds but fell short. It looked like he was trying to throw it at Saban. I'm glad he made that mistake in college in the pros he will put it 3 rows deep in the stands.

I think there is a real comparison to Matt Ryan, he has a similar look in the pocket and similar delivery.

I'm starting to feel like Mallet wouldn't be a bad move by the Bills. I like that he is trying to what he can do to try to win, and Mallet has complete control of that offense and team. He would call audibles and recheck (which I think was a little much and led to 2 false starts) but it shows his mastery of the position at the college level. Where Luck, atleast right now looks like he can use another year in college.

There are a lot more games to be played.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know very much about Luck, but as a Michigan grad I've watched Mallett very closely since his college career began. I still don't know what to make of him as an NFL prospect. He has a Million Dollar Arm, like from another planet kind of arm. His passes literally would shred the gloves of his WRs as a freshman. Can make all the throws an NFL QB needs to make right now. The downside is that he will at times try and make throws that he shouldn't because he has such confidence in his arm and will lead to poor decisions and passes that get picked at critical moments. Generally makes quick decisions and has a really quick release but will try and force things from time to time. Big, strong kid who can take a beating and has not shown to be injury prone. Will need an OL that is strong in pass protection, the comparison to Bledsoe in the pocket is pretty accurate. He actually has decent straight line speed if he needs to take off and run for a guy his size, but doesn't move in the pocket real well. I'm assuming he's matured personally quite a bit since he transferred to Arkansas and seems to have grown up some from what I can tell watching games, but when at Michigan he was not well liked by his teammates. Would openly argue with teammates during games and blame mistakes on them, all captured on national TV (game at Wisconsin his freshman year was a prime example), and you could see teammates staying away from him on the sideline and just shaking their heads at him. Leadership was not his greatest skill and he alienated a lot of people on campus while he was there. He also seriously struggled adjusting to the cold weather in Ann Arbor, so I am not sure how well he would handle life in WNY. He's from Texarcana TX and lived in the south all his life until college.

He's a high risk/reward player. Guy could be a pro bowler and win a lot of rings because he's got a once in a blue moon type of arm, but he could be the next Ryan Leaf if he hasn't gotten all the knucklehead out of his system and get a GM fired. His arm will get him drafted early, no doubt. I don't know if he's the right fit for the Bills though.

I think hands down Mallet is the best QB prospect out there. Luck reminds me too much of Chad Pennington, he's accurate but will float passes out there to be easily intercepted. With that said, Mallet has room to grow. I think we can all agree his arm is phenomenal, he can really put zip on it even if his feet aren't set (which, however, did help lead to those interceptions against Alabama). But he can read defenses, feel pressure, get the ball to his hot reads, and has great pocket awareness. Given time to grow in a system (like Manning did in Indy) he could be elite. Another thing I liked in the Alabama game, when a couple of players were on the field dancing - he pulled them back to the huddle. I think he's mature, wants to win, and knows when to take care of business. Let's hope he falls to us!

OK I was able to watch the 'Bama @ Mallets last night.

Mallet definitely looks a lot better than luck last week.

In the first half he has able to stand in and make the difficult throws under pressure and 'Bama was blitzing him all game.

Its striking how thin his arms are, he is soo tall and has such thin arms. Its Manute Bol-esque. I would be afraid that an NFL player would snap those twigs off his body.

Although there is some major power in those arms.

Much better throwing motion and foot work than Luck (to be fair Mallet has 2 more years of reps than Luck.)

Two of the interceptions were bad decisions, 1 he was just trying to make something happen.

1st pick in the back of the end zone in the 1st half has a bad decision, he threw it late over the middle. Thats a no-no.

The Second int, is the type of interception I wish Trent Edwards would have thrown. It was 3rd and 11, down by 4 with 4 minutes to play and he was trying to make something happen. The WRs were covered but what do you want him to do? Its 3rd and 11 down by 4, you have to try zip the ball in there and see if the WR can make a play.

The Saftey came over top and picked it off, but I say that is better than dumping it off and punting. The counter argument is you dump it off and go for it on 4-5 but the kid is trying to win the game.

That last interception, was a huge F up. He was clearly throwing it out of bounds but fell short. It looked like he was trying to throw it at Saban. I'm glad he made that mistake in college in the pros he will put it 3 rows deep in the stands.

I think there is a real comparison to Matt Ryan, he has a similar look in the pocket and similar delivery.

I'm starting to feel like Mallet wouldn't be a bad move by the Bills. I like that he is trying to what he can do to try to win, and Mallet has complete control of that offense and team. He would call audibles and recheck (which I think was a little much and led to 2 false starts) but it shows his mastery of the position at the college level. Where Luck, atleast right now looks like he can use another year in college.

There are a lot more games to be played.

actually the knocks on Mallet are his footwork and throwing motion. He is not great with his feet and has a pretty long delivery. Luck is better in both of those categories.

actually the knocks on Mallet are his footwork and throwing motion. He is not great with his feet and has a pretty long delivery. Luck is better in both of those categories.

I'm sure thats from a great source, but during the Notre Dame game Luck kept throwing passes without his feet under his body. I think thats why so many of them would fall short.

I've only seen 4 games of each player but Luck still looks raw, imo.

I think the comparisons between Matt Ryan, and Mallet may develop.

Ryan Mallet has a better completion percentage and a better arm than Ryan.

If Matt Ryan goes #3 overall, I'm starting to believe that its likely Mallet goes just as high or higher.

I'm sure thats from a great source, but during the Notre Dame game Luck kept throwing passes without his feet under his body. I think thats why so many of them would fall short.

I've only seen 4 games of each player but Luck still looks raw, imo.

I think the comparisons between Matt Ryan, and Mallet may develop.

Ryan Mallet has a better completion percentage and a better arm than Ryan.

If Matt Ryan goes #3 overall, I'm starting to believe that its likely Mallet goes just as high or higher.

The problem is you are judging these 2 QB's on two games. Let the season play out.