The Decision to Kick it Onside

The Big Cat

I was surprised, and it did catch them off guard, just couldn't capitalize on it, not sure it was the right call

though, even with the element of surprise. We did stop them, so in esseccense it didn't hurt, I would have kicked off

and got as much yardage back from the penalty possibble. I think a better move, would have been to go for it on 4th

an one, instead of kicking the field goal earlier in the game, what do you think that Belicheat would have done there?

Edited by Cookiemonster

I was surprised, and it did catch them off guard, just couldn't capitalize on it, not sure it was the right call

though, even with the element of surprise. We did stop them, so in esseccense it didn't hurt, I would have kicked off

and got as much yardage back from the penalty possibble. I think a better move, would have been to go for it on 4th

an one, instead of kicking the field goal earlier in the game, what do you think that Belicheat would have done there?

You take those points, IMO. It was still the first half and we were trailing. The field goal put us up 2, right, then they marched down the field to go up 1 to end the quarter? Yeah, you take those points.

Amswer the question Big Cat, what would Belicheat have done?

I believe he would have kicked the field goal. With just 26 seconds remaining on the 15 yard line, 3 points is your expected value even if you convert the 4th down. As for the resulting FG by the Patriots, well the defense just let us down.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I believe he would have kicked the field goal. With just 26 seconds remaining on the 15 yard line, 3 points is your expected value even if you convert the 4th down. As for the resulting FG by the Patriots, well the defense just let us down.

Big Cat, my how you have changed, no problem, this is a chat site, but you sir, are full of it.

You can't actually sit there and say that Belicheat would have kicked a field goal there, not with

a straight face at least.And my point is, if you are gonna have the gonads to try on on-side kick

in that situation, then have them to go for a 4th and 1

I knew there would be a post about this, we talked about it a bit in the shout box.

The OS kick was okay glad they tried it, I think the stupid penalty was put to good use in that it did surprise them.

I think the going for it wasn't a bad idea because it works something like 50% of the time but if it doesn't work there could be a big momentum flip at halftime with the Cheaters getting the ball on the kick off. It would have been a gamble but I thought they looked surprised by it, as well. The FG would have been closer maybe. My gut said do it, I would have gone with that but I have no problem trying to get the penalty in that situation. The Cheaters would have had more time to get a TD if it didn't work.

Edited by bowery4

You take those points, IMO. It was still the first half and we were trailing. The field goal put us up 2, right, then they marched down the field to go up 1 to end the quarter? Yeah, you take those points.

Going for the first would have taken more time off the clock whether we ended up with a figgy or a TD...that would have given the pats* less time for their final drive of the half.

(of course I am assuming that they would have gotten the 1st)

I knew there would be a post about this, we talked about it a bit in the shout box.

The OS kick was okay glad they tried it, I think the stupid penalty was put to good use in that it did surprise them.

I think the going for it wasn't a bad idea because it works something like 50% of the time but if it doesn't work there could be a big momentum flip at halftime with the Cheaters getting the ball on the kick off. It would have been a gamble but I thought they looked surprised by it, as well. The FG would have been closer maybe. My gut said do it, I would have gone with that but I have no problem trying to get the penalty in that situation. The Cheaters would have had more time to get a TD if it didn't work.

When your defense can't stop the other team...you go for a 4th and a half yard. If we had a good defense, i could see kicking the field goal. I think they should have gone for it because this was an offensive game. The Bills were running the ball very well. I go for it.

Edited by first_and_ten

+1.

You cannot give up a field goal with them on the 30 and 18 seconds left.

I think the only stupid thing about the OS kick was the ref running in and immediately signaling Pats* ball without even looking at the pile.

But you knew THAT was going to happen. Just give it to 'em.

It was clear that the ats recovered the ball. It happens in alot of games. NOT JUST THIS ONE. The ref had a clear view and if he can see who recovers the ball before teh pile starts he will call it.

Caught me by surprise, caught the Pats* by surprise, but nobody here is discussing it (at least not on the front page).

What was everyone else's reaction? Dick Jauron is LONG gone.

I loved the call. Took everybody by surprise and almost came up with it! Can't believe the refs gave New England the ball before pulling the pile apart. That got me going pretty good.

I don't know why taking the FG is even a question here. You take guaranteed points that puts you in the lead against a division rival who has owned you for years. With under 30 seconds in the half, you have to believe your defense won't give up the yardage necessary to let the other team score.

It was clear that the ats recovered the ball. It happens in alot of games. NOT JUST THIS ONE. The ref had a clear view and if he can see who recovers the ball before teh pile starts he will call it.

And what is to stop any ref from simply saying "I saw who got it before the pile started"?

Nothing, of course. You would think that at a critical juncture like that, they would want to be sure.

I think we were right to try the onside kick however I do agree that we should have gone for it on 4th and one at the end of the half. Sometimes, you just need to take chances to win and I thought that was a Jauron move to kick it instead of going for it.