How can you blame Fitz

trock12

Fitz' completion percentage today was 71%. Sounds pretty accurate to me. the picks were bad throws plus a few others, but all in all he was accurate today.

This is what I saw also. Everyone seems to be prejudging Fitzpatrick, but to me he has the potential to be solid. He IS accurate, reads defenses well, makes quick decisions and is mobile. He needs work just like everyone else, especially on his footwork. He isn't set on many of his throws and it leads to errors. Also, as Gailey said, he needs to learn when to take risks and when not to. But he has enough ability to be effective in this league. He doesn't have as much experience as people are pretending and he isn't exactly surrounded by an all star cast.

This is what I saw also. Everyone seems to be prejudging Fitzpatrick, but to me he has the potential to be solid. He IS accurate, reads defenses well, makes quick decisions and is mobile. He needs work just like everyone else, especially on his footwork. He isn't set on many of his throws and it leads to errors. Also, as Gailey said, he needs to learn when to take risks and when not to. But he has enough ability to be effective in this league. He doesn't have as much experience as people are pretending and he isn't exactly surrounded by an all star cast.

:worthy: His accuracy seems improved, if he was behind NEs line he does even better. I said it in preseason and I think so now, he looks like Flacco out there. I think he is more than serviceable. The only really bad throw was Rosccoe and it must be like aiming for a midget. Nelson should have had the nads to slap his pass away. Also before the play, Nelson was asking Fitz something on the way to the line, I wonder if he was out of position (I knew he was getting the pass).

... The fourth quarter interception was on Nelson, who did not even try to jump for the catch, though it was thrown perfectly so he was the only one who could catch it--except he did not try to catch it. ...

If the ball was thrown perfectly so that Nelson was the only one who could catch it, and Nelson made no attempt to catch the ball, then no one else would have been able to catch it. The pass was intercepted.

Fitz played a great game, and I'd rather see gambles for big plays than easy passes and punts, but the throw was far from perfect.

What gets me is everyone knew this guy was horribly inaccurate from last season, but willing to make the throws Edwards wasn't. Those two interceptions are what you get with Fitz and will continue to get all season.

The Patriots have the 27th ranked defense, along with almost no pass rush, Buffalo's defense is better...and that says a bunch about how bad that Pats defense really is.

Fitz had much more time to throw against the Pats then Edwards did against either Miami or GB. Green Bay has the 4th ranked after 2 games and Miami has the 5th ranked after 3 games, now the Jets are currently sitting at 11th after 3 games. Lets see how Fitz and the O line plays next week against a much better Jets pass rush and defense.

BOBO will probably start Edwards....

THIS

#1) Pats by far worst defense we've seen. It's not even close between them and the Pack and Fish.

#2) Fitz played the way he plays - moved in the pocket and made mostly good fast, aggressive decisions, but doesn't have the basic skill of accuracy to consistently turn those decisions into results. The Nelson pick was actually a really bad decision - three defenders there - there must have been a better option than that.

Bottom line - going into the season, if we had a good QB on the roster, it was Edwards - but that was IF Gailey was able to get his mind right. The Dolphins game, more that Green Bay, showed that wasn't going to happen, so now we know we don't have a good NFL QB for sure, and won't this year.

Fitz would appear by far to be the quarterback most suited for this team. During the game they flashed some horrible 3rd down conversion stats. It appeared that we had almost no chance at all of making a first down until yesterday, and Fitz gets the credit imo.

His running skill alone makes him the right guy for the job, but he also has some heart. I hope he stays healthy because he is the best we have right now.

I'll take that Fitz performance 100 times out of 100 over ANYTHING Trent can do. We saw it last year, the guy knows when to step up in the pocket or scramble. He can convert 3rd downs.... He always knows who the open receivers are and doesn't panic and is relatively accurate. Those INT's sucked but at least we were in the game to make them matter. One thing for sure, Fitz makes everyone around him better, Trent makes everyone around him worse. Fitz is harder for D-coordinators to defend, he's unpredictable. Trent is a D-coordinators dream. He is simple to defend. I would hope Trent never takes another snap in Buffalo. Let Fitz play out the year w/ Brohm backing him up, draft MAllett or whoever and let Fitz help develop that guy.

Edited by zow2

You must be blind. The ball was catchable only if Nelson was allowed to take a ladder with him on his pass routes.

I don't think the ball was catchable, but I think it might have been touchable. I was surprised Nelson made NO effort on the play.

You can't blame Fitz! We scored 30 (23 on offense) against NE in NE. That's a good offensive showing! 30 should win the game against anyone, plain and simple.

Taking down the Jets next week!!

The scoring went like this (FG)-(FG)- 5yd TD pass to Spiller-(FG)-(KO return Spiller)-37yd TD pass to Johnson, so the offense actually scored 14 points-special teams scored the other 16...

The Pats have the 27th ranked defense,with no pass rush. The Jets while not as good as GB 4th and Miami 5th they are far superior then the Patriots at 11th

Wait till Fitz encounters some of what Edwards has had to deal with against the Jets

The scoring went like this (FG)-(FG)- 5yd TD pass to Spiller-(FG)-(KO return Spiller)-37yd TD pass to Johnson, so the offense actually scored 14 points-special teams scored the other 16...

So, in this new method of scoring, the offense gets no credit for FGs?

Nice try. Epic Fail. :thumbdown:

#1) Pats by far worst defense we've seen. It's not even close between them and the Pack and Fish.

Miami's defense didn't look too good against the Jets last night. Maybe it's Miami's D that's overrated because they've played two weak offenses (yes, Minnesota's offense is weak right now).

Let's see how he does against the Jets, who do have a good defense. And keep in mind, he's not playing behind NEs offensive line and throwing to Moss, Welker and their two TEs...

Edited by vincec

Fitzpatrick was an improvement over Edwards, but you can blame him because he threw costly interceptions in crunch time to lose the game.

We all knew what Fitz brought to the table before this game. We knew he'd put up more points but we also knew - with his accuracy problems - that he'd have more turnovers as well. We got what we expected and Fitz is never going to be better than that - he is who he is.

That being said, he put the Bills in a position to win - and then helped put them in a position to lose - but I'd blame the D more than Fitz if I was going to start doling out the blame. Fitz does deserve his portion though.

I'm not too upset with the Bills yesterday, that's the team I thought we'd see this year. One that is more exciting to watch but just doesn't have the horses to beat good teams (particularly on the road.) I can stomach watching the team we saw yesterday. I'm not sure how much more of the team we saw in weeks 1 & 2 I can stomach...

So, the Bills were in contention in a high-scoring road game and Fitz threw two costly interceptions in the last five minutes. Oh boo-hoo!

At least we *were* in contention. At least we were able to actually work through our game plan, instead of a series of three-and-our checkdowns all afternoon. At least we were able to watch a game without gouging our eyes out, and could even hope for a win as the score went back and forth.

Without Fitz we have no hope of being in games. But far more importantly in this rebuilding year, without Fitz we have no hope of sustaining the occasional drive long enough for the rest of the players to settle into the system, and for the coaching staff to evaluate them in real game situations.