scouting mallet

playman

I am having to agree with you... still want to see a little more, but I am not impressed thus far, not at all.

They were up 20-7 at the half...I know this is a team game, but a QB worthy of the top pick in the draft would have found a way to hold on to win that game. Sometimes all you can do is all you can do, but instead of continuing to play well, he choked. I HATE that quality in a player, and Lord knows we've had enough of it here. To me, the guy is one big, tall red flag. Also, Bama's secondary was nowhere near as good today as they were last year. They lost guys to the NFL and they were ripe for the picking. It's not like Mallett was throwing against a great set of DBs and safeties. I really hope we don't draft this guy.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

havent seen the game, but going like 19 of 32 for a score with 2 picks against an ND defense isnt very good either.

so i will say luck, as of now, isnt the answer either.

bad day for future bills QBs, huh? :devil:

Edited by playman

They were up 20-7 at the half...I know this is a team game, but a QB worthy of the top pick in the draft would have found a way to hold on to win that game. Sometimes all you can do is all you can do, but instead of continuing to play well, he choked. I HATE that quality in a player, and Lord knows we've had enough of it here. To me, the guy is one big, tall red flag. Also, Bama's secondary was nowhere near as good today as they were last year. They lost guys to the NFL and they were ripe for the picking. It's not like Mallett was throwing against a great set of DBs and safeties. I really hope we don't draft this guy.

Yes indeed, I have absolutely no use for players who choke in big games, especially QBs. Those 2 picks were beyond brutal. I feel bad for the rest of Arkansas' kids, they played their heart out against the #1 team. :(

Yes indeed, I have absolutely no use for players who choke in big games, especially QBs. Those 2 picks were beyond brutal. I feel bad for the rest of Arkansas' kids, they played their heart out against the #1 team. :(

Definitely would have been a huge win for them. I would have loved to see it, cause I hate Bama....and I wanted to see the SEC get shaken up a bit, too. :wallbash:

Definitely would have been a huge win for them. I would have loved to see it, cause I hate Bama....and I wanted to see the SEC get shaken up a bit, too. :wallbash:

I wanted to see if Boise State would've moved up into the top 2! Tough call coming up, I want to watch Lattimore, but the blue field is hard to resist!

Even though he's benched now, this is why a guy like Tate Forcier at Michigan is attractive to me. He strikes me as having "it" in the clutch.

We need to target guys who are gamers, not that have a bunch of good combine numbers.

I didn't say draft Luck either, I say fix the OL once-and-for-all.

Of the 2 though, I think Luck would be able to do more with the garbage we have... Mallett would just get killed, he's just too big and slow (see: Drew).

He can stand flat footed and throw a 50 yard rope on a post pattern. This is impossible but I saw him do it on film. Don't say no to a superstar my old friend.

I want blocking on the Bills as much as anybody in the entire world and imo you simply HAVE to take this kid if you can. Jmo.

Even though he's benched now, this is why a guy like Tate Forcier at Michigan is attractive to me. He strikes me as having "it" in the clutch.

We need to target guys who are gamers, not that have a bunch of good combine numbers.

Backup qbs are always the most popular players.

Kyle Boller could throw 60 yards from his knees. That worked out well.

No offense but Boller is not even in Mallett's league when it comes to Pro Prospects...

That being said Mallett has a lot of work to do...What happened today was about as bad as it gets for a Starting QB with #1 overall aspirations...Mallett had his Team in great position to beat the National Champs and make a monster statement, but instead he pretty much single-handedly pissed the Game away...It was hard for me to watch...I felt for the Kid...But that last INT...To me that was just laziness...And as a Michigan Fan and someone who has been following Mallett since his Freshman year, that type of thing is my biggest concern with the Kid...I think, no question, he's got a little Bled-slow in him...But then again I think in comparison to what The Bills have now Mallett would be a HUGE upgrade regardless...So it's a tough call no question...

I hope Ryan REALLY learns from what happened today, picks himself up and continues to improve...Because no question he's improving...I still think if everything falls into place, and for whatever reason Mallett is on the Board when the Bills are up, they have to take him...I really doubt the Kid will be much less than say Joe Flaco...And that's still a big upgrade from Fitz or Edwards...He may not be all we desire in a QB package...But I just don't see how the Bills could pass on a Kid with his potential the way things are right now...We'll see in time I guess... B-)

No offense but Boller is not even in Mallett's league when it comes to Pro Prospects...

That being said Mallett has a lot of work to do...What happened today was about as bad as it gets for a Starting QB with #1 overall aspirations...Mallett had his Team in great position to beat the National Champs and make a monster statement, but instead he pretty much single-handedly pissed the Game away...It was hard for me to watch...I felt for the Kid...But that last INT...To me that was just laziness...And as a Michigan Fan and someone who has been following Mallett since his Freshman year, that type of thing is my biggest concern with the Kid...I think, no question, he's got a little Bled-slow in him...But then again I think in comparison to what The Bills have now Mallett would be a HUGE upgrade regardless...So it's a tough call no question...

I hope Ryan REALLY learns from what happened today, picks himself up and continues to improve...Because no question he's improving...I still think if everything falls into place, and for whatever reason Mallett is on the Board when the Bills are up, they have to take him...I really doubt the Kid will be much less than say Joe Flaco...And that's still a big upgrade from Fitz or Edwards...He may not be all we desire in a QB package...But I just don't see how the Bills could pass on a Kid with his potential the way things are right now...We'll see in time I guess... B-)

The question might be if that upgrade is worth 75 mill if you don't believe in him to be elite. Have to pull the trigger on a qb eventually though... Top 5 picks are just such a risk these days. Any position.

I'm wrong about a lot of things, but I'm on record several times with regard to this guy. He will set our team back ten years just like drew did to the Pats. The guy puts up big passing numbers when nothing is on the line, but when it really counts, he chokes. He will never win the big game for us, just like Drew couldn't.

Just say "no" to Mallett.

You kill me wrt Drew my brother. By the time we got him he was already shot from the hit that almost killed him, yet he was still twice as good as all the qbs we have had since.....combined.

Passing stats Now, throw in 251 TDs. This is bad? Again, he was shot when he got here.

Mallett has talent that only comes around every so often. The Bills need to have balls and draft a kid like this. Can he be a bust? Sure, but he can also be coached up. Picks like Whitner, Maybin and McKelvin suck anyway. Why not take a chance. And if Ralph wants to sell tickets (and I don't blame him btw), this kid throws 40 yard square outs, 25 yard safety valve checkdowns, 50 yard flat footed rope post patterns (who, if even Elway could do that?) and 70 yard bombs at will. If Spiller is as good as the consensus here thinks, he can run all freaking day and Mallett could reach him.....easily.

Oh, and leave Bama alone! ;):):lol:

Have you watched the game? Or was that sarcastic?

A) The obvious. He just threw two big interceptions.

B) NFL defenses will be better than the Tides'

C) A lot of those yards are after the catch

D) Danny Wuerffel? Ryan Leaf? Leinart? You can absolutely rip it up in college and not have it translate to the NFL

I'm sorry, if you watch this guy play, I just don't see it. Of course, I could be wrong. I like his leadership qualities. He's definitely got the makeup. But, his accuracy is off and he doesn't move well in the pocket. I think he could find success if he refines a few things, but I'm not positive. For what its worth, Clausen is the better QB. And wasn't even a 1st round pick.

what a breath of fresh air. Somone else who knows somethings about QBs:thumbsup: !

Working 2-10 so I will miss the game. Can you guys post your observations in here so I don't have to scour the board when I come back home?

You should record it on DVR. I am watching it now and so far he looks pretty good, escaped the rush well so has more mobility than given credit for, throws a great deep ball, total rocket arm, footwork was sometimes off but still through a 50 yd pass, checksdown well :D ,throws to hard on intermiadte routes blasting the ball through players hands, can audible real well looked like Payton out there so he's got brains, bone head interception in end zone just lazily through it in there figuring he had an easy TD, overall looks way better than last year and gives me hope that if Luck isn't there he will be a good choice.

You kill me wrt Drew my brother. By the time we got him he was already shot from the hit that almost killed him, yet he was still twice as good as all the qbs we have had since.....combined.

Passing stats Now, throw in 251 TDs. This is bad? Again, he was shot when he got here.

Mallett has talent that only comes around every so often. The Bills need to have balls and draft a kid like this. Can he be a bust? Sure, but he can also be coached up. Picks like Whitner, Maybin and McKelvin suck anyway. Why not take a chance. And if Ralph wants to sell tickets (and I don't blame him btw), this kid throws 40 yard square outs, 25 yard safety valve checkdowns, 50 yard flat footed rope post patterns (who, if even Elway could do that?) and 70 yard bombs at will. If Spiller is as good as the consensus here thinks, he can run all freaking day and Mallett could reach him.....easily.

Oh, and leave Bama alone! ;):):lol:

lol, hey Bill! :)

I just can't stomach another player who puts up big stats against lesser opponents and then fails to raise their game against tougher ones, you know? I want someone who brings their A game when it counts the most, and Mallett is the opposite of that. If we do end up drafting him, I'll hope and pray that I'm wrong, but if he can't do it against good college teams, why should we think he'll magically become a baller in the NFL?