Ronde Barber's press conference

LongLiveRalph

Any of you Sports Illustrated subscribers out there may have noticed that in the NFL Preview issue, Peter King picked his record for each team, his playoff scenario, and Super Bowl champ. I fully realize it's all for fun, it's impossible to predict, and Peter King is a putz. However, his predicted record for the Bills was a lowly 2-14, tied with Tampa Bay for by far his lowest prediction (he had the Bucs at 2-14 also, with I believe his next worst team at 5-11.)

Ronde Barber walked to the podium after Tampa's 20-7 win over Carolina, and without waiting for a question, said, "You all can go tell Peter King that we got our two wins!"

Hahaha, I think it's great...So much for the players blocking out the "outside detractors." You know they read the press and you know it affects them. They'll use anything they can for extra motivation.

Plus, I love when anybody calls out Peter King. This guy is so wrong, so often, and is unaccountable. If he was a GM he'd be Matt Millen.

Any of you Sports Illustrated subscribers out there may have noticed that in the NFL Preview issue, Peter King picked his record for each team, his playoff scenario, and Super Bowl champ. I fully realize it's all for fun, it's impossible to predict, and Peter King is a putz. However, his predicted record for the Bills was a lowly 2-14, tied with Tampa Bay for by far his lowest prediction (he had the Bucs at 2-14 also, with I believe his next worst team at 5-11.)

Ronde Barber walked to the podium after Tampa's 20-7 win over Carolina, and without waiting for a question, said, "You all can go tell Peter King that we got our two wins!"

Hahaha, I think it's great...So much for the players blocking out the "outside detractors." You know they read the press and you know it affects them. They'll use anything they can for extra motivation.

Plus, I love when anybody calls out Peter King. This guy is so wrong, so often, and is unaccountable. If he was a GM he'd be Matt Millen.

King already copped to being wrong on this 5 days ago.

Old news.

Anyway, you think if he had not written that, they'd be 0-2? How bout the Bills---everyone picked them to finish at or near the bottom. Don't they "read the press"? How has it affected them?

Answer: it has no effect.

Old news.

Anyway, you think if he had not written that, they'd be 0-2? How bout the Bills---everyone picked them to finish at or near the bottom. Don't they "read the press"? How has it affected them?

You are such a downer sometimes. They guy said that Barber talked about it after the game which is before King had an opportunity so say anything, yet there you are, pouncing on someone for taking a bit of glee in King's prognostications.

Why bother?

People who follow the NFL religiously make estimations on which teams will be good and which teams will be bad based on their past experience, roster turnover, coaching changes, offseason additions, etc.

While we can always point out a couple pundits who make a prediction that turns out to be wildly wrong, let us not forget that the vast majority of the time, the teams that are expected to do poorly do turn out to perform poorly.

The Bills were a bad team that got worse, and everyone recognized it. Those people will turn out to be correct.

The Bucs were also a pretty bad team last year, and were expected by most to be pretty bad to below average this year. They beat two really bad teams already. They still may turn out to be bad when all is said and done. Heck, if they don't turn out 2-3 after the next 3 games, it'd be a surprise.

Looks like he called the Bills record spot on .

Old news.

I guess it doesn't have an "effect" I should've clarified. Players who say "That's for you guys to write and the fans to read, we pay no attention"....Obviously they pay attention. Whether or not they use it as motivation (and whether that even matters) is open for interpretation.

King is a lazy journalist and writes favorably about the players and coaches who text him back. I like that Ronde spoke up. I'm sure King's "research" on Tampa consisted of the eight seconds it took him to type "2-14" while he used three paragraphs on Starbucks' fall menu, and then got back to texting motivational messages to Favre.

People who follow the NFL religiously make estimations on which teams will be good and which teams will be bad based on their past experience, roster turnover, coaching changes, offseason additions, etc.

While we can always point out a couple pundits who make a prediction that turns out to be wildly wrong, let us not forget that the vast majority of the time, the teams that are expected to do poorly do turn out to perform poorly.

The Bills were a bad team that got worse, and everyone recognized it. Those people will turn out to be correct.

The Bucs were also a pretty bad team last year, and were expected by most to be pretty bad to below average this year. They beat two really bad teams already. They still may turn out to be bad when all is said and done. Heck, if they don't turn out 2-3 after the next 3 games, it'd be a surprise.

Agreed...Predicting the future is not easy! Picking 32 records, you are bound to be wrong on a few. My post was less about King being wrong (that's not rare at all) and more about Ronde acknowledging it and calling him out.

And yes, Tampa could be 2-3 after 5...But they do have Pittsburgh at home with no Big Ben, then a good (but not great) Cincy team, and then the Saints without Bush. None of them easy, but none as hard as they could be.

Edited by LongLiveRalph

This all goes to show that you can't judge anyone until AFTER 3-4 games into the season.

akm is right - all of these pundits make their predictions based on past experience, roster additions/subtractions, coaching changes, schedule, etc. It's just that - a prediction. Saying how many games a team will win before the season is one thing...doing that with half the season gone is completely different and a lot easier.

Peter King may be a putz, but if I were him, I wouldn't yet admit to "being wrong". It's too early. Yes, Tampa Bay has 2 wins already and they'll likely win a few more games, but it doesn't mean they won't go 4-12 or 3-13 and not be too far off from King's prediction.

Or head of the Bills scouting department.

I cant wait for DOnte to strut to the podium and say "You can tell Peter Kind we got our 14 losses!"

Hopefully its not until week 17 :blush:

You are such a downer sometimes. They guy said that Barber talked about it after the game which is before King had an opportunity so say anything, yet there you are, pouncing on someone for taking a bit of glee in King's prognostications.

Why bother?

My point is that people get down on guys like King because he doesn't favor the Bills. In this instance, the OP goes after King for his guess on the Bucs. King was wrong and he admitted it (and cited the Barber quote) in his article the next day. Why mock King for that--he was owning up to the fact that he was wrong!

This inferiority complex regarding the national press is monotonous. It's embarrassing to read over and over about how ESPN, SI, Mike and Mike, etc are dogging the Bills. Who cares? Get over it, men.

And I don't believe at all that such comments by guys like King have any effect on the performance of players or outcomes of games. None.

Sorry if I brought you down, Beerball, but BS is BS. Just had to point that out to OP.