To All Jason Campbell Lovers

I seem to recall the mentality being that he was worth a shot for a 5th round pick. Given our QB situation, it is unbelievable that we brought in no one this offseason. The Raiders are more organized at this point, and if I were a fan of theirs, I would be happy the team explored all options. People weren't clamorong for the team to bring Campbell in so much as anyone, and Gradkowski's name even came up a few times early in the offseason. He was moldy bread to a starving man.

I'm glad you were right about this person not being any good though.

Congratulations and Bravo!

I'm sure OP will be eager to start new threads about the zillion things he was wrong about....

Or maybe he switched screen names after the "To Pat Williams Lovers" thread after opening day of 2004.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone that lives in the DC area could have predicted this one.

A lot of fans on this board never saw him play, they only look at stats.

Campbell is a nice guy that happens to suck at QB...Sounds familiar.

I take my hat off to Nix and Gailey for not pulling the trigger in this one.

The problem is they haven't pulled the trigger on anything. So the fans are stuck with another year of evaluating players. Which seems to be a key piece to building a playoff team in the future but not for now.

Wait, the Raiders are more organized because they benched the free-agent QB they brought in during the off-season to lead their franchise? Campbell was supposed to be a big upgrade for them as a starting QB, and while Gradkowski is serviceable, Campbell definitely should be better. Sorry, I'm not convinced that this is a cause for celebration in any organization. I would rather the Bills let Chan Gailey work with what he has now as opposed to bringing in subpar talent.

Campbell wasn't the guy for us, and bringing in a guy like Campbell would have undermined (whatever was left of) our current QB's confidence. If they're bad, they're bad, but at least give them a fair shake in your system. Trent busted. Now Fitz has his go. And if he's a bust? Then you ride out the year and get your guy in the offseason.

The Raiders are more organized because they are trying to address their needs, and taking chances when the possible long-term benefits outweigh the short-term costs. They will return to the playoffs before we do. His failure and the move itself are not causes for celebration. I never said either was; simply that the move made sense and it would have been nice to see us try to address our greatest weakness for a minimal price (even if it involves taking a chance). How can you be so sure bringing him in would have undermined rather than motivated our QBs? Do you think they came into this season especially motivated?

To clarify, the Bills were right by NOT bringing Campbell in, but they were wrong because they did NOT bring Campbell in?

That almost sounds like a Sully argument.

The Bills were right for benching Edwards, but they were wrong because they failed to wait 2 more weeks.

And when you combine the two, the resulting analysis comes out as:

The Bills are desperate and in "panic mode" because they benched their starting QB, but the Raiders are "more organized" because they benched their starting QB.

Sometimes I really wonder if the team is dysfunctional or if the fan base is.

Funny, it almost sounds like you didn't read the post being addressed. Learn to read when you're in class tomorrow or sue your school district for completely failing you.

Here is the version of the above post if the Bills had traded for and then benched Campbell:

WTF!! This front office can't find it's azz with both hands! We wasted a valuable 5th pick and then bench Campbell after 2 games?? Are you kidding me??? Nix should have known Campbell sucked BEFORE he pulled the trigger. I swear chimps with darts would find better players! I'm so done with this team!

Thank you. :D

PTR

Yes, your ability to blindly impose dialectical logic is impressive. All Bills fans who are critical of the front office will be so regardless of what the front office does because they simply enjoy taking oppositional stances. It must be nice to live in such a simple world.

While I didn't necessarily want them to bring in Campbell in particular, he was worth taking a chance on given the cheap asking price. The fact that he hasn't succeeded in Oakland thus far does not prove 1) he cannot do well anywhere or 2) he will not turn things around. There were similar threads about the Bills front office making the right choice by not bringing in Cutler at this time last year (oops). Our QBs are insufficient and it would have been nice to have another option, even if this other option simply functioned as motivation to the starting QBs (this scenario would involve someone else other than Campbell obvious).

Let me state this again. I am not saying Campbell was a blue chip prospect (such a prospect would have cost more), but the front office should have brought someone (anyone) in this off season to compete with our QBs. Campbell was worth the risk, and it is understandable that people were arguing for him during this past off season, especially when he went so cheaply in the draft.

The problem is they haven't pulled the trigger on anything. So the fans are stuck with another year of evaluating players. Which seems to be a key piece to building a playoff team in the future but not for now.

Exactly. Just more proof that stats are for losers. ;)

:thumbsup:

Ya -- saw plenty of Campbell here. No one shed any tears in DC upon his departure.

+1

I remember getting beaten over the head by the stat-book analysts about all this mythical improvement Jason Campbell has seen over the last few years, and being derided for suggesting we shouldn't waste a 4th on the guy. He's the black Trent Edwards. Nice guy who can't handle pressure, but occasionally looks good in garbage time.

I was impressed with Gradkowski to come off the bench last year and give Oakland some wins, and now that they have a running game and they're moving the ball I expect the team to get better throughout the season.

I thought Bruce should have been starting to begin with.

The Raiders are more organized because they are trying to address their needs, and taking chances when the possible long-term benefits outweigh the short-term costs. They will return to the playoffs before we do. His failure and the move itself are not causes for celebration. I never said either was; simply that the move made sense and it would have been nice to see us try to address our greatest weakness for a minimal price (even if it involves taking a chance). How can you be so sure bringing him in would have undermined rather than motivated our QBs? Do you think they came into this season especially motivated?

Just because the Raiders took a chance that does not mean they are "more organized". The took a chance on J. Russel. How did that work out? Were they more organized then?

The Bills did try to address their need for a QB. Remember McNabb?

If anything, I would argue the Bills are more organized because looked at was available, determined other than McNabb, nobody else was worth spending any resources on. Why bring in another teams reclamation project when we already have plenty of those types. We need to weed those out, not drag more in.

Funny, it almost sounds like you didn't read the post being addressed. Learn to read when you're in class tomorrow or sue your school district for completely failing you.

Funny, it almost sounds like you thought your post contained a logical rational argument. You failed. Miserably.

Yes, your ability to blindly impose dialectical logic is impressive. All Bills fans who are critical of the front office will be so regardless of what the front office does because they simply enjoy taking oppositional stances. It must be nice to live in such a simple world.

Unfortunately, there is a grain of truth to PTR's post. Look at the uproar at the benching of Edwards. Sully's head would have exploded if Campbell (or any other QB) was brought in, earned the starting QB spot, and was benched 2 weeks in.

"Simple" is believing acquiring Troy Smith/Jason Campbell/Tyler Thigpen/<insert name of Scrap Heap QB of the Week here> equates to being "more organized" even if the acquired QB does basically nothing because the team tried to address their needs. AND, the perception is if they do nothing, then it must mean they are not addressing their needs (even though they did try to), and therefore not as organized.

While I didn't necessarily want them to bring in Campbell in particular, he was worth taking a chance on given the cheap asking price. The fact that he hasn't succeeded in Oakland thus far does not prove 1) he cannot do well anywhere or 2) he will not turn things around. There were similar threads about the Bills front office making the right choice by not bringing in Cutler at this time last year (oops). Our QBs are insufficient and it would have been nice to have another option, even if this other option simply functioned as motivation to the starting QBs (this scenario would involve someone else other than Campbell obvious).

Let me state this again. I am not saying Campbell was a blue chip prospect (such a prospect would have cost more), but the front office should have brought someone (anyone) in this off season to compete with our QBs. Campbell was worth the risk, and it is understandable that people were arguing for him during this past off season, especially when he went so cheaply in the draft.

You're right. Good thing they drafted Levi Brown, QB from Troy. Otherwise we would have been subjected to irrational arguments like "The Bills did not bring anybody in, therefore, they are not as organized as the Raiders, who did take a chance".

By the way, Brown cost the Bills a 7th. Campbell cost the Raiders a 4th.

Yes, clearly Campbell is a horrible quarterback because he was not a superstar in one game with the Raiders. I am certainly not a Campbell lover by any means, but I certainly do not give up on a guy who cant succeed in one full game as a starter in a horrendous organization. If anything the Raiders should be ashamed of themselves. The guy has physical tools that can develop into a good quarterback. You bring him in as your big off season addition and let him play one full game? Are you kidding me? We saw how Randy Moss struggled in Oakland, we see bust after bust in the draft every year, we see coaching changes every other year, eventually I would have to think that it is not as simple as football talent. Campbell may or may not have been good in Buffalo, but at least it would have been an effort to improve.

TROLL...

Who was crying for Jason Campbell?

Maybe you were on another board.

to previous jc lover,

i was on this board daily, and almost everyday until he went to the raiders, i was reminded of how we have to bring in jason campbell. almost everyday, i vomited my gizzards.

Edited by daveydanceswithwolves

remember how outraged you were when buffalo didn't pick him up. well apparently you were wrong about how great he was. he just got benched in favor of bruce gradkowski

Both of those guys are better than Trent so what is your point? I don't think anyone saw Campbell as a savior just an upgrade from Nancy Boy.

Edited by PDaDdy

To clarify, the Bills were right by NOT bringing Campbell in, but they were wrong because they did NOT bring Campbell in?

The Bills were right for benching Edwards, but they were wrong because they failed to wait 2 more weeks.

The Bills are desperate and in "panic mode" because they benched their starting QB, but the Raiders are "more organized" because they benched their starting QB.

I have to admire the roll you are on the last few days...BRAVO! :worthy:

remember how outraged you were when buffalo didn't pick him up. well apparently you were wrong about how great he was. he just got benched in favor of bruce gradkowski

Ya know davey...I'm getting tired of these posts saying 'told you so' about this QB or that OT or that WR or that LB or that...well, you get my drift.

Don't take this personally, but on a team so wholly devoid of talent somebody at some time is gonna say...why don't we take a look at "this guy"? Then, when "this guy" fails people like you find it joyful to say "nanny nanny poo poo". When it comes right down to it in most instances "that guy" is someone with more talent that the player on the Bills.

We suck davey, so please give the told you so crap a rest.

I seem to recall the mentality being that he was worth a shot for a 5th round pick. Given our QB situation, it is unbelievable that we brought in no one this offseason. The Raiders are more organized at this point, and if I were a fan of theirs, I would be happy the team explored all options. People weren't clamorong for the team to bring Campbell in so much as anyone, and Gradkowski's name even came up a few times early in the offseason. He was moldy bread to a starving man.

I'm glad you were right about this person not being any good though.

Congratulations and Bravo!

The Bills obviously didn't have a starting-quality QB going into the 2010 offseason. Given that fact, they clearly needed to draft The Guy. But if The Guy isn't there when your team is picking, you should do nothing about the QB position. Wasting picks on players who were "sort of" The Guy or had the potential to maybe someday be The Guy is what got us Losman and Edwards in the first place.

Half measures such as Jason Campbell or moldy bread are worse than useless. At its best, a Jason Campbell-type signing or trade might bring us two or three more wins than we otherwise would have had. Those wins push us lower in the draft, thereby making it more likely that The Guy will be gone before our pick.

Any time you set out to achieve anything, you should begin with the end in mind. The end here is obvious: get a franchise QB as a step toward the longer-range goal of building a Super Bowl winner. Acquiring the Jason Campbells of the league does nothing to advance the team toward getting The Guy.

The 2011 draft seems like it will be a golden opportunity for the Bills to draft a franchise QB. Let's hope they successfully take advantage of it.

Here is the logical clarification of this. Bills fans are desparite to get a QB in here that can win. Obviously all the QB's on our team suck. And unfortunately Cambpell is just as bad. His name was brought up because he is someone else. Unfortunately just because he is someone else than what we have, doesn't mean he's a good QB or an answer to our problem. Obviously he belongs in the unemployment line along with our 3 clowns at QB.

First of all, he got killed playing behind the defective offensive line in Oakland led by the inept Langston Walker (who was deemed superior to Cornell Green)!

No QB will succeed with a really bad OL. It doesn't matter who it is. If you couple a bad OL with a questionable QB and seriously sub-par receivers then you have a recipe for disaster! (i.e. Buffalo Bills)

Seriously people its not the Bills QB's fault that the line and receivers are weak.