Trint surprised he was benched

b stein 22

Well, so long as we're operating under the assumption that Trent would do fine behind the world's greatest offensive line, then I guess there's always a fallback rationale for why he doesn't play well.

I don't know of many quarterbacks who have "ideal" circumstances up front. Perhaps a few do, and perhaps they are the elite. But at this point, we just need competence from our quarterback.

And if he needs five supermen blocking for him just to achieve competency, then he's not that good. Period.

Well Said :thumbsup:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are unbelievable.

Of course the guy was surprised. He is being made the scapegoat for the whole offense. Fred Jackson's quote shows that Fred has a lot more class than Lee Evans.

Trent also showed a lot of class by saying how much he cares for "this team" and "this organization." Of course, the haters will make of it as they will.

Maybe one day when my kids have kids, the Buffalo Bills will recognize that we need to have an NFL quality offensive line and whoever the QB and RBs are at that time will be the beneficiaries. It has been freaken years since I was confident about our offensive line.

Just my two cents. Don't let me interrupt your circle jerk.

Get over yourself Peter.

It's funny how much better Manning's offensive line is than Curtis Painter's offensive line is. It's amazing how much better Tom Brady's offensive line is than Matt Cassel's line was. Oh wait, they are the same line, but Painter and Cassel get pounded and sacked while Brady and Manning are decisive and deliver the ball on time.

Tom Brady's stats against Ravens in a game in which he felt the kind of pressure that Bills seem to face all of the time. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=300110017

It's funny how much better Manning's offensive line is than Curtis Painter's offensive line is. It's amazing how much better Tom Brady's offensive line is than Matt Cassel's line was. Oh wait, they are the same line, but Painter and Cassel get pounded and sacked while Brady and Manning are decisive and deliver the ball on time.

I would just like to give a Buffalo Bills QB (for that matter any Buffalo Bills QB) half a chance to succeed by putting an actual NFL line in front of him. We have had not had one of those in years and years. I know a lot of guys on this board are fixated on one position, but unless and until we fix the real problem (in my view) we probably should not expect much from the offense -- whoever the QB is.

A change HAS to be made. Can you change the entire offensive line in one week? This is what happens when offenses don't perform. The QB sits. That's football, Pete and you should know it.

You do understand that some QBs handle pressure better than others, right? Isn't it possible that a different QB could produce some different results with the same offense?

I don't think anyone believes the offense becomes dynamic under Fitz, but Chan has to try something and QB is the right place to start.

Forget the poor line for a moment. Do you honestly believe Trent has performed well so far this season? You think the starting QB slot belongs to him no matter how poorly he performs?

I would just like to give a Buffalo Bills QB (for that matter any Buffalo Bills QB) half a chance to succeed by putting an actual NFL line in front of him. We have had not had one of those in years and years. I know a lot of guys on this board are fixated on one position, but unless and until we fix the real problem (in my view) we probably should not expect much from the offense -- whoever the QB is.

I think most would agree, but with Trent there seems to be issues "on top of" his O-line's play.

Nobody expects Fitz to light the world on fire, but you can bet that on 3rd and long, he'll be attempting a first down pass instead of checking down or tucking and folding. Those appear to be the differences in Trent and Fitz; he gives his WR's a chance to make plays whereas Trent will not.

But like I said, most would agree that our O-line is laughably deficient.

You guys are unbelievable.

Of course the guy was surprised. He is being made the scapegoat for the whole offense. Fred Jackson's quote shows that Fred has a lot more class than Lee Evans.

Trent also showed a lot of class by saying how much he cares for "this team" and "this organization." Of course, the haters will make of it as they will.

Maybe one day when my kids have kids, the Buffalo Bills will recognize that we need to have an NFL quality offensive line and whoever the QB and RBs are at that time will be the beneficiaries. It has been freaken years since I was confident about our offensive line.

Just my two cents. Don't let me interrupt your circle jerk.

Your wasting your time talking to the homers, no way is the line bad and Trent sucks

Its always all the QB's fault, I can hear it now... within this week or next we will hear Fitz sucks, put in Brohm

How is it that Jay Cutler can throw for 300+ yards and touchdowns galore behind an offensive line that is widely considered to be the worst in tue NFL?

Sure, an elite-level offensive line can elevate a bad quarterback to a mediocre one. But an elite-level quarterback gets the job done in any conditions.

Do we want only one of those deficiencies fixed? No.

Is getting elite-level quarterback play the single most important trait of consistently winning franchises? Oh hell yes.

Well, so long as we're operating under the assumption that Trent would do fine behind the world's greatest offensive line, then I guess there's always a fallback rationale for why he doesn't play well.

I don't know of many quarterbacks who have "ideal" circumstances up front. Perhaps a few do, and perhaps they are the elite. But at this point, we just need competence from our quarterback.

And if he needs five supermen blocking for him just to achieve competency, then he's not that good. Period.

+1 BC.

I'm so much on board with this that I'm prepared to take serious flaming for it. Damn near EVERY team is having 'OL issues'. Defensive players simply have the advantage charging forward with a determined scheme while OL back-peddles, 'fence & perrying', hoping to buy a second or 2. Farve, Brady, the Mannings, Vick, virtually every QB is being manhandled so far. Do all their OL's suck? Or are they -like Buffalo's OL- the very best OL players in the world?

Seriously, despite all the babbling around here about poor franchise assessment of OL, everyone seems to be on board with the HOPE of long, productive careers for Levitre, Wood & Bell. Well that's 3/5's right there. All QB's mentioned above have overcome "poor OL play" -as decreed here by many- and delivered. Edwards simply can't.

Go Fitz!

“It surprised me,” Edwards said. “I understand it’s a business and we need a win and we need a spark and that’s what I was told by Chan. I told Chan I’m going to handle myself like a professional and get here every day and find a way to help this team win. That’s the bottom line. I’m not going to hang my head. I’m obviously frustrated and disappointed, but it’s a long season and things can change and I’ll still be ready to go.”

If Trent is surprised that he was benched, then he has to got to be the biggest idiot I have ever met. How can he not understand that you actually have to throw the ball downfield and take chances in order to keep your job in the NFL. Its like he puts no effort into playing and expects that what ever he does he will not be scrutinized for it. Thank god this guy is off the field. This guy also has Dick Jouron syndrome. ITs hard to be a QB in the NFL.

Full story

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Edwards-surprised-but-committed-to-team/228ba1e4-3a47-4696-8f01-5bb8e2d465d1?module=HP_headlines

Seeing how he had no help around him it kinda caught me by surprise too. Gailey is putting the blame for the pathetic offense on Edwards when he should be looking at the offensive line, right after he looks in a mirror. He might just see someone that resembles Jauron if he does look in the mirror. He has been anything but impressive so far. Even if the switch was a good move, it wasn't obvious, so why not keep it under wraps until sunday? We need any advantage we can get, why not let the Pats gameplan for an immobile Edwards then when the game starts they notice Fitzy running for his life behind our terrible offensive line.

How is it that Jay Cutler can throw for 300+ yards and touchdowns galore behind an offensive line that is widely considered to be the worst in tue NFL?

Sure, an elite-level offensive line can elevate a bad quarterback to a mediocre one. But an elite-level quarterback gets the job done in any conditions.

Is getting elite-level quarterback play the single most important trait of consistently winning franchises? Oh hell yes.

Cutler was getting hammered by Ware and Spencer in the first few series of the Cowboy game, then Martz made some adjustments to shorten the drop backs- get him out of the shotgun and under center, had him step up in the pocket and then called a "spread" offense ...deep pass and BOOM big play. suddenly the Cowboys were dropping back into coverage because they didn't want to get beaten deep again, this opened up the offense

Lets not forget that the bears have 2 very speedy WR's in Hester and Knox, not to mention a very good and quick tight end in Greg Olsen who caught that slant for a TD

The Bills opened up the offense on that last drive against the Dolphins with 8 min to go, 5 WR sets and spread formation, Edwards took them right down the field for a TD. Then they went conservative at GB by trying to run and throw out of 2 RB 2 WR sets.

A change HAS to be made. Can you change the entire offensive line in one week? This is what happens when offenses don't perform. The QB sits. That's football, Pete and you should know it.

You do understand that some QBs handle pressure better than others, right? Isn't it possible that a different QB could produce some different results with the same offense?

I don't think anyone believes the offense becomes dynamic under Fitz, but Chan has to try something and QB is the right place to start.

Forget the poor line for a moment. Do you honestly believe Trent has performed well so far this season? You think the starting QB slot belongs to him no matter how poorly he performs?

Fitz is more mobile and has a better chance to stay alive behind this putrid OL. Deano, this is much like the old days when you were up here and we watched Flutie have some success because he was able to run away from trouble.

Things don't seem to change with our Bills.

Fitz is more mobile and has a better chance to stay alive behind this putrid OL. Deano, this is much like the old days when you were up here and we watched Flutie have some success because he was able to run away from trouble.

Things don't seem to change with our Bills.

That might be the most truthful line posted on TBD in quite some time.

If you don't see an improvement from the QB position this week (ie. passes down field, making reads of the defense, pocket awareness) I'll agree with you.

You will see an improvement. Like Lee Evans said, Fitz has testicles. Trent seems to be lacking his. Our whole damn team is going to improve just from the simple fact that Lee Evans and Roscoe Parrish are now legitimate weapons that are actually going to be thrown to-mark my words, run game is going to open up--fewer three and outs--fresher defense.

:thumbsup:

The dude ran out of bounds after gaining 1 yard on 4th and 11. I imagine there are a lot of things that happen in life which "surprise" Trent.

Yeah, and thats why our offense isn't producing, 'cuz he didn't chuck it on 4th and 11. Should he have? Yeah. Is that the reason we were that desperate in the first place? Hardly. The things wrong with this offense are not going to be solved by benching Trent.

Edited by Mickey

I would just like to give a Buffalo Bills QB (for that matter any Buffalo Bills QB) half a chance to succeed by putting an actual NFL line

I don't disagree with that. I felt the same way about JP. But that isn't going to happen THIS Sunday, and the coach has to try with the players he has. I find it hard to believe any player on offense would be surprised if the coach gave another player a shot to start, given what they have produced. But that is especially true of the QB.

I disagree with the bolded statement. If you were watching Bills games back in the Super Bowl years, you probably remember the AFC Championship game. The Houston Oilers had been a hot team that year, and had won eleven or twelve straight regular season games. However, Joe Montana and the Kansas City Chiefs had knocked them out of the playoffs in the divisional round; in a game that proved to be a shootout. Then the Chiefs came to Buffalo for the AFC Championship Game.

In that game, the Bills' defense as a whole dominated the Chiefs' offense as a whole. Joe Montana led the Chiefs to just two first half field goals before getting injured just before halftime. Montana was the very embodiment of the phrase "elite quarterback," and yet the circumstances in which he found himself precluded large amounts of Chiefs' offensive production. The Bills ended up winning that game 30-13. If a quarterback's offensive supporting cast gets dominated heavily enough by the defense, not even Joe Montana can make much difference.

All that being said, a quarterback should be accurate, and demonstrate good awareness of everything happening around him, regardless of the circumstances in which he finds himself. Trent Edwards hasn't done that, and hasn't played well enough to deserve to hold onto a starting position. I don't think Fitzpatrick is good enough to deserve to be a starter either, but I realize you have to start someone.