Is Brohm Really This Bad?

BillsPhan

Trent Edwards is the back up quarterback for Fitzy this week.

linky:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/09/20/qb-pecking-order/

It seems to me, if all three QB's were supposed to have an equal and open competition for the starting position, then Brian Brohm should move up to number two behind Fitz, while Edwards moves to the back of the line, or simply gets cut....today, before the offense even has their first practice for the Pats tomorrow.

Are we to believe that Brian Brohm would be a worse option, if Fitzy gets knocked half way to Albany by a blitzing Pats' OLB that Green or Bell forgets to block, then Trent freakin' Edwards??

How is Brohm supposed to feel right about now? Edwards looks about as bad as any QB has looked over two games, in what, the history of the NFL, the coach yanks him, and still Brohm remains number 3 behind that stiff??

What a joke. I said that somewhere Dick Jauron, Alex Van Pelt and Turk Shoenert were laughing their asses off after the Miami game. Well, they still haven't stopped laughing, and now their sides are hurting and tears are flowing from their eyes they are laughing so hard! :nana::w00t::bag:

Way to come in here and clean up that offense, Mr. QB-Guru Gailey!

linky:

It seems to me, if all three QB's were supposed to have an equal and open competition for the starting position, then Brian Brohm should move up to number two behind Fitz, while Edwards moves to the back of the line, or simply gets cut....today, before the offense even has their first practice for the Pats tomorrow.

Are we to believe that Brian Brohm would be a worse option, if Fitzy gets knocked half way to Albany by a blitzing Pats' OLB that Green or Bell forgets to block, then Trent freakin' Edwards??

How is Brohm supposed to feel right about now? Edwards looks about as bad as any QB has looked over two games, in what, the history of the NFL, the coach yanks him, and still Brohm remains number 3 behind that stiff??

What a joke. I said that somewhere Dick Jauron, Alex Van Pelt and Turk Shoenert were laughing their asses off after the Miami game. Well, they still haven't stopped laughing, and now their sides are hurting and tears are flowing from their eyes they are laughing so hard! :nana::w00t::bag:

This is what we were trying to tell the Brohm lemmings all along, but none of them wanted to hear it. Instead they talked about how great Matt Flynn was and how Brohm just didn't "get his chance." Please.

no, Brohm will get his chance by week 9.

And at the end of the season Nix and Co. will be able to safely say "There isnt a QB on our team capable of starting in the NFL". And they will address it in the offseason.

Face it, there isnt a "winner" on the roster at the QB position. Edwards, Fitz, Brohm, whoever.

linky:

He's a coach not the miracle worker, the best coach in world couldn't make you a top notch runningback

He's a coach not the miracle worker, the best coach in world couldn't make you a top notch runningback

I don't care how good or bad Brian Brohm really is. I just want to be able to have a zero chance of ever having to watch Trent Edwards play quarterback for the Buffalo Bills again. I had no idea an NFL coach had to work a freakin' "miracle", just to be able to cut one horrible quarterback from his team, or at the very least, "miraculously" move him down to number 3 on the depth chart.

It would have been nice to come out of the gates this year with a new QB. Trent was just a grim reminder of past failure. I've posted this before, but it would have been a great idea for this organization to cut bait with Trent before the season started. If you're trying to start fresh with a rebuilt team, you can't change by staying the same. We literally came out this year with the same offensive unit as last year other than Spiller and Green. We needed some fresh bodies on the O-line, and someone with experience behind center at the QB position. Didn't get either.

His ability to pass is undeniable. Edwards and Fitz could only dream of the numbers he had in college. I can only imagine it's a chemistry/leadership thing in Gailey's decision. I feel like that is why he started Edwards. He saw how Edwards was talking to guys in the offseason and preparing like a starter. However, he didn't know how to play like a starter. Here's a nice quote about Brohm (note the completion % as well):

"Brian Brohm started 33 games at Louisville. He closed out his career as the Big East Conference's all-time leader in passing yardage, becoming the first player in league history to throw for over 10,000 yards (10,775) He finished second on the UL career list with 780 pass completions and 1,185 pass attempts, as his completion percentage (.658) is the fifth-best mark among NCAA quarterbacks active last season. He compiled a 24-9 record as a starter for the Cardinals."

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/brian-brohm?id=198

Chan said it would be a fair competition for QB, but Brohm never really got a fair shake. From the little he played with 2nd and 3rd string, he looked competent. I would at least like to know if he has any skill set that is salvagable.

He had equal time in OTAs. Brohm never did anything to claim a higher spot. No one who watched OTAs or practices has said otherwise.

Obviously the film breakdown reviewed by coaches showed the same.

Give it up on Brohm, he is no more the answer than anyone else on this roster.

He is not an unknown quantity just waiting for an opportunity to spring his awesomeness on a NFL field.

I really do not believe Brohm is any good. But I know Fitz is garbage in the long run. I would not mind Brohm getting a series of starts to see if there is anything there. I just don't think it is wise to start him on the road against the Pats. Honestly after two more lossses and bad outings by Fitz I would be ok with Brohm starting against Jax.

As another person posted Gailey can prove to Nix/RW that they need to draft a QB in the first or second round next year and probably bring in a Bulger/Hasselbeck for a year or two to give the rookie time.

His ability to pass is undeniable. Edwards and Fitz could only dream of the numbers he had in college. I can only imagine it's a chemistry/leadership thing in Gailey's decision. I feel like that is why he started Edwards. He saw how Edwards was talking to guys in the offseason and preparing like a starter. However, he didn't know how to play like a starter. Here's a nice quote about Brohm (note the completion % as well):

"Brian Brohm started 33 games at Louisville. He closed out his career as the Big East Conference's all-time leader in passing yardage, becoming the first player in league history to throw for over 10,000 yards (10,775) He finished second on the UL career list with 780 pass completions and 1,185 pass attempts, as his completion percentage (.658) is the fifth-best mark among NCAA quarterbacks active last season. He compiled a 24-9 record as a starter for the Cardinals."

Hint: He's not in college anymore. Hasn't thrown a TD since college. Why don't you Brohm Boys just latch on to Timmy Chang and demand the Bills sign him if you like college stats so much.

Hint: He's not in college anymore. Hasn't thrown a TD since college. Why don't you Brohm Boys just latch on to Timmy Chang and demand the Bills sign him if you like college stats so much.

Not even close to a "Brohm Boy". The fact is, he's never had a shot since college. Aaron Rodgers was going to be the guy in Green Bay no matter what. So he was trying out for a backup role. Yeah Flynn beat him, but neither of those guys saw the field in a real game either. He's looked decent in preseason action as far as I can see. There would be no reason not to give him a shot unless Gailey sees starting potential in Fitzpatrick. It almost seems to me that Nix and Gailey didn't watch the tape from last year at all. Because the spot we're in right now is all too predictable for the fans.

Just looking for a glimmer of hope in all of this mess.

Edited by Got_Wood

Chan said it would be a fair competition for QB, but Brohm never really got a fair shake. From the little he played with 2nd and 3rd string, he looked competent. I would at least like to know if he has any skill set that is salvagable.

Maybe because Brohm showed absolutely nothing during off-season and Traning Camp.

Is Brohm Really This Bad?

Yes. Why is it so hard to believe? The man has done zero to impress 3 coaching staffs.

Yeah, sign Tiny Chong.

Not even close to a "Brohm Boy". The fact is, he's never had a shot since college. Aaron Rodgers was going to be the guy in Green Bay no matter what. So he was trying out for a backup role. Yeah Flynn beat him, but neither of those guys saw the field in a real game either. He's looked decent in preseason action as far as I can see. There would be no reason not to give him a shot unless Gailey sees starting potential in Fitzpatrick. It almost seems to me that Nix and Gailey didn't watch the tape from last year at all. Because the spot we're in right now is all too predictable for the fans.

Just looking for a glimmer of hope in all of this mess.

If you like no touchdowns EVER, then I guess that Brohm is decent looking enough for you. He didn't look very good to me. I saw a guy who was a poor man's Trent Edwards, but worse. Lots of short passes, no better than 50-50 to have a sidelines pass land in bounds. Inaccurate on his deep throws, which were rare (maybe that's why he has no TDs). I think you watched Brohm hoping for something. I admit, I watched Brohm expecting nothing. All he showed me was he is better than Levi Brown. Fitzpatrick can win games that Brohm can't compete in. Why do you think Perry Fewell, when fighting for his job, was scared to death at the thought of Brohm starting & Gailey appears to be going in the same direction. Just remember, the guys making the decision not to play Brohm have seen a lot more of him behind closed doors than you, I, or anyone else on this board unless George Cortez is here under an assumed name.

Brian Brohm in 2 pre season games this year and one regular season last year has been able to lead the offense to a whopping 6 points. He had 1st and goal on the 5 and threw 3 straight incompletions. He had TO wide open in the EZ against Atlanta and underthrew him so bad the DB who was beat bad on the play was able to come back for it and make a pick. He also overthrew a guy for a sure TD in the 2nd pre season game. This is why Brohm is where he is. Great between the 20s, but when it's crunch time, he blows it.

He even got a week's head start on Fitz and Trent because he got to go to rookie camp. He got his chance and hasn't been able to capitalize on them.

I don't care how good or bad Brian Brohm really is. I just want to be able to have a zero chance of ever having to watch Trent Edwards play quarterback for the Buffalo Bills again. I had no idea an NFL coach had to work a freakin' "miracle", just to be able to cut one horrible quarterback from his team, or at the very least, "miraculously" move him down to number 3 on the depth chart.

not a miracle worker to cut a player, but would have to be a miracle worker to turn Trent Edwards into a functional nfl player

remember Ben Bennett or Brian McClure they will be at or near the top of your NCAA passing list

NFL is a different game