Lost in yesterday's chaos

Coach Tuesday

I can't believe I actually have something positive to say after yesterday's debacle, but the one positive thing I consistently noticed was the solid play of Bell. Not only has his technique improved, but he also seems to have filled out and bulked up and looks less like a basketball player out there and more like a lineman. Plus, I noticed a nasty streak from him yesterday for the first time. He was constantly blocking downfield on running plays, jawing with defenders, and picking up his teammates.

Anyone else see this stuff? Or am I nuts?

I can't believe I actually have something positive to say after yesterday's debacle, but the one positive thing I consistently noticed was the solid play of Bell. Not only has his technique improved, but he also seems to have filled out and bulked up and looks less like a basketball player out there and more like a lineman. Plus, I noticed a nasty streak from him yesterday for the first time. He was constantly blocking downfield on running plays, jawing with defenders, and picking up his teammates.

you are correct. Now if he can play a whole game, we can move meredith and the TE in protection over to the right side.

So where were the breakdowns in protection coming from yesterday? Were they all Green? Were they blitzes? Was Edwards holding the ball too long?

I didn't watch, so any input is appreciated.

I still have to look at the game again more closely...but Green was also improved...though not as much as Bell....our weak spots on the O-line seemed to be Wood (still not 100%?) and Meredith when he subbed in for Bell...Trent did hold onto the ball a lot as well as well

I sure hope you're right. I cannot say I saw this while watching the game in a sports bar as it is hard to concentrate at times. We had lots of pressure on the QB coming from the edges and the left side looked as bad as the right at times. If Bell develops the rebuild takes a very big step forward.

So where were the breakdowns in protection coming from yesterday? Were they all Green? Were they blitzes? Was Edwards holding the ball too long?

Pretty much everywhere. On Clay Matthews first sack Green helped out inside and let him come in untouched. Matthews was line up as a pass rusher the whole time. After getting 3 sacks the prior week you would think someone would have been looking for him? Maybe a TE or a back trying to chip him? Something from somebody?

Matthews came in from the left and the middle as well. He did whatever he wanted to do it seemed. Wood seems to be struggling a bit too. I don't think he is fully back yet.

From what I could tell from row 50 he looked good. I am waiting on the Short cut to air on direct tv.... There was a clear let down in both gmes when Merideth was in....

Green played much better yesterday also. He was blocking well in the running game as well a protecting in the pass. Bell has come along, but don't know if can still play a whole game? I think the line played better when Levitre went out and Howard came in. I think Levitre needs to go to the bench in favor of Howard. Levitre seems to small to play at this level and gets bull rushed way to much, Howard should start with Levitre coming off the bench to play anywhere but center. Most of the pressure yesterday came right up the middle on stunts or twists, the center and guards had a tough time with LB's.

Bell has improved, Wood still is working on it (no doubt that was a very bad injury and he came back early IMO). I was impressed by Howard, see why Gailey kept him, he put in a solid effort. They really were not good though and it seems that the game is going pretty fast for them too. The one sack that both tackles were just plain driven back to back right in front of Trent was just sad to watch (I have never seen it before either that I can remember). Trent couldn't step up either as the pocket was already gone.

The run blocking was much better than last week but dropped off along with everything else after they lost the momentum.

We really need to find an answer to freaks like Matthews, I know not many times did teams find answers to Bruce but there were teams that made him much less effective.

If Bell continues to improve, the Bills actually have the makings of a good young offensive line. They clearly need a better RT (or LT and move Bell) and depth at all the positions. An upgrade at Center would be nice, of course, but Hang is serviceable.

Obviously the line needs work, but that doesn't mean they all suck (as some would have you believe).

Are you kidding?? On Mathews 3rd sack, he was Bell's man & all Bell could do was touch him as he went by/

I only caught the first half yesterday but noticed on more than one occasion the O-lineman weren't shifting their blocks to account for defensive stunts around the tackles. We'd end up with an interior lineman with no one to block while his man stunted around our tackle (especially on the left side).

This line isn't as bad as all the doomsayers say. They still need time to pick up the nuances of Gailey's offensive system and that will simply take time. I thought Howard did a good job of filling in from what I saw of him. Green is still most clearly our worst lineman though.

Patience is understandably in short supply but we'll see what we've got around mid-season.

Its mostly physical breakdowns in every positions at times but mostly our line is very weak at the point of attack. Sometimes it seems the line calls are not proper or it could be the QB isn't accounting (making a play) on the overload by the defense. Trent is very hesitant when being pressured, also GB's style of play attacks the weakness of an offensive line call. Another thing that's puzzling is our line still doesn't know how to block pressure brought up the guard-tackle gap on a twist, GB had pressure from there rushing 3 men...I did start to notice a little bite from the line later in the game, maybe they will build upon this?

Are you kidding?? On Mathews 3rd sack, he was Bell's man & all Bell could do was touch him as he went by/

That was not Bell , it was Meredith. #69 is not Bell, He has been our best lineman so far IMHO. Wood has struggled but I would like to see him at center and try Urbik at right guard and re-invent "ground chuck". We need attitude & some nastiness on this line.