Green Bay Packers Make a Wish Story

How are we supposed to hate the Packers when they do something like that?

I think the Pack as a hole make it hard to hate them they did a story a few weeks ago about how Packer players go out after practice and ride kids around on their bikes and the kids get to pic who they want to ride with.

I also liked the Make a Wish a kid got this year at the draft. As a big Steelers fan he got to be the one to go up to the podium and announce their first round pick, then got to be out there taking pictures with the player, the team reps and Roger Goodell - I thought that was a pretty cool wish and really cool of the NFL and the Steelers to make it happen.

I've been to Green Bay to watch the Packers play. The amount of pride the city shows in that team and how much the players give back to them is why I can never, ever hate Green Bay, even if the Bills were to play them in a Super Bowl.

Great, classy fans too. The most insulting thing I heard when I walked around in my Bills jersey was: "Boy, I bet you guys wished Jim Kelly was still playing huh?". The nerve!

Reminds me of a kid down the street from my house when I was a teenager. He was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 12 or 13, and one of his dying wishes was that he got to spend some time with the Bills and Sabres. I don't know if Make A Wish had anything to do with it, but several of our local athletes became very close friends with the poor kid (Chad) and continued to visit until he unfortunately passed at the age of 17. I remember seeing Maxim Afinogenov having a catch with him in their front yard a couple times, and out bowling with Rian Lindell and Brian Moorman one time. He died during hockey season, and I know some of the players quietly dedicated the remaining season to him.

Here's a tribute video made by his family...you can spot Lindell, Moorman, and Ryan Miller in some of the pictures. Poor kid, never met a nicer guy in my life.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Great reminder that they're just playing a game on the field. The vast majority of them are probably good guys who have loved ones and families. This is why people get upset at others wishing harm on any player from any team. It's just a game.

Thanks a lot for sharing this link, Figoferreira.

I can't wait to go home and give my son a hug and a kiss now.

not to steal anyone's thunder and that's a great read but....

my (now 4 y/o) daughter was on a heart transplant list, had a very large stroke on ECMO at six months of age) and fought against every odd (pneumonia, sepsis, bowel obstruction, DIC, blood clots, stroke) to survive and ultimately keep her own heart (as weak as it was at the time). Three surgeries later her heart is doing OK. We have ongoing therapies for her stroke and the occasional seizure but she is a beautiful and generally healthy kid. I thank God every day for her and who she is.

Some of you may remember when I 'spilled' a lot of this here a few years ago (2007) but the thread was lost.

reading this story today literally brought tears to my eyes. Obviously, it hits home for me and the parallels are striking. God bless that kid and her family. Bottom line is how peaceful life is when we simply care for folks around us...and when we appreciate what we have. :thumbsup:

not to steal anyone's thunder and that's a great read but....

my (now 4 y/o) daughter was on a heart transplant list, had a very large stroke on ECMO at six months of age) and fought against every odd (pneumonia, sepsis, bowel obstruction, DIC, blood clots, stroke) to survive and ultimately keep her own heart (as weak as it was at the time). Three surgeries later her heart is doing OK. We have ongoing therapies for her stroke and the occasional seizure but she is a beautiful and generally healthy kid. I thank God every day for her and who she is.

Some of you may remember when I 'spilled' a lot of this here a few years ago (2007) but the thread was lost.

reading this story today literally brought tears to my eyes. Obviously, it hits home for me and the parallels are striking. God bless that kid and her family. Bottom line is how peaceful life is when we simply care for folks around us...and when we appreciate what we have. :thumbsup:

Amen, brother.

Reminds me of a kid down the street from my house when I was a teenager. He was diagnosed with brain cancer when he was 12 or 13, and one of his dying wishes was that he got to spend some time with the Bills and Sabres. I don't know if Make A Wish had anything to do with it, but several of our local athletes became very close friends with the poor kid (Chad) and continued to visit until he unfortunately passed at the age of 17. I remember seeing Maxim Afinogenov having a catch with him in their front yard a couple times, and out bowling with Rian Lindell and Brian Moorman one time. He died during hockey season, and I know some of the players quietly dedicated the remaining season to him.

Here's a tribute video made by his family...you can spot Lindell, Moorman, and Ryan Miller in some of the pictures. Poor kid, never met a nicer guy in my life.

youtube.com/watch?v=JBKKzrJD4Lk

This is not an exceptional event for the Packers. Packers players go to almost every charity event in the area. Even during the season players are visiting hopitals and attending events.

Remember the Packers are a nonprofit corporation.

All the concession stands at Lambeau Field are operated by community and charity groups. The money they earn goes into these groups. The two preseason games are called the Shiners game and the Bishop's Charities game because of the large donations the Packers make from the proceeds.

Because the Packers are nonprofit, are very involved in the community, and are owned by their fans, they have an exceptional reputation in the community. The sense of community will always be there. Even when they are losing they will always sell out Lambeau Field. It comes from many such acts like the one in this story done by the Packers for many decades.

It is a large part of why I am Packers fan. I am not bragging or putting anyone else's team down but if you check the Packers web site community tab or the Green Bay newspaper over time you will find such actions routine.

I'm sure the Packers would thank you all for the kind words.

I probably should shut up at this point but I want to add one thing about the Bills. Ralph Wilson has been one of the best owners in the NFL. I know much of his charity work goes unrecognized by most (except when that Bills' player was saved from being paralyzed). I sure hope when Ralph is gone that his franchise does not fall into the hands of a Jerry Jones, Al Davis or Daniel Snyder type. It would not only be bad for the Bills it would be bad for the NFL.