Jim Kelly on Mike and Mike

FloridaSnow

I posted this in the shout box, but figured that I would add a thread just so everyone could see it.

He began by discussing the Bills and their performance in Week 1. Unsurprisingly, he sounded very disappointed in the team's performance. He said that he and other Bills fans had the first game circled as an opportunity to set a new tone for the team. While he was impressed and encouraged by the defense (which he mentioned looked bad in the preseasion), he said that the offense looks just like last year. He also mentioned that you need to take shots down the field to win a game and can't simply play it safe (shifted talk from Sanchez to Edwards during this conversation). He did say that he thought Edwards had the ability to win, but that he needed to be willing to take the shots and the team needed to be willing to let him do so. He didn't like the Bills chances during the next few games given how they looked in the first week...

Edited by fallen627

so he didn't say these things?

gugny : (15 September 2010 - 08:59 AM) I thought Joe Namath said that.

Joe_the_6_pack : (15 September 2010 - 08:58 AM) he said he liked the Mexican reporters booty and would have taken a bite out of it had she been in a Bills locker room when he was playing

:w00t:

Can't say I disagree with Kelly's assesment. To be Frank, the coaching staff needs to be focusing gameplans that avoid relying on Edwards to make big plays when the defense recognizes the same, i.e. marching down field with 20 or so seconds left. Should an NFL qb be able to do this, should it be a fair expectation? Yes. However this is Trent. He shouldn't be in future plans for this organization but regardless any game he starts this season should have a Gameplan where his involvment is realistic and achievable. To that degree the responsibility needs to be lessened and shotgun plays decreased. Whomever posted we should have played more prosets is spot on, Edwards needs to be under center with decisions identified ahead of time, 1st read, 2nd read, throw away or step up in pocket/scramble. He's not an intuitive player, so don't force or look for intuitive type of play(s) from him, we have all learned it's simply not possible with him. So to Chan, if J.Bryd said he wanted to play cb, you wouldn't allow it since he's better served as a saftey. Sure he could line up as cb and we could expect him to play like Revis, but would it happen? Not likely. So why expect or ask the same of Trent? It doesn't make sense and hopefully Gailey sees what he really has now with Edwards and rethinks his gameplans moving forward.

Have at it cave trolls, but I feel like I am past the point of venting, quite honestly just trying to cling to some hope in Gaileys judgement of the abomination that was Trent "Teddy Ruxpin" Edwards on Sunday.

- Belicheat

Can't say I disagree with Kelly's assesment. To be Frank, the coaching staff needs to be focusing gameplans that avoid relying on Edwards to make big plays when the defense recognizes the same, i.e. marching down field with 20 or so seconds left. Should an NFL qb be able to do this, should it be a fair expectation? Yes. However this is Trent. He shouldn't be in future plans for this organization but regardless any game he starts this season should have a Gameplan where his involvment is realistic and achievable. To that degree the responsibility needs to be lessened and shotgun plays decreased. Whomever posted we should have played more prosets is spot on, Edwards needs to be under center with decisions identified ahead of time, 1st read, 2nd read, throw away or step up in pocket/scramble. He's not an intuitive player, so don't force or look for intuitive type of play(s) from him, we have all learned it's simply not possible with him. So to Chan, if J.Bryd said he wanted to play cb, you wouldn't allow it since he's better served as a saftey. Sure he could line up as cb and we could expect him to play like Revis, but would it happen? Not likely. So why expect or ask the same of Trent? It doesn't make sense and hopefully Gailey sees what he really has now with Edwards and rethinks his gameplans moving forward.

Have at it cave trolls, but I feel like I am past the point of venting, quite honestly just trying to cling to some hope in Gaileys judgement of the abomination that was Trent "Teddy Ruxpin" Edwards on Sunday.

- Belicheat

Wow, terrible screen name :wallbash: but good post.

I have been on that crusade :thumbsup: and read it on another Bills web site as well. (I really don't want to say which one because I don't want to advertise another one on here). I do think that that web site has some good analysis tho.

But yeah he looked sooooo much more comfortable during preseason and I thought he did well with playaction. They also can not stack the box nearly as much if he does throw out of PA, IMO. I just think the shotgun is back too far for him to read quickly. On the otherhand he played his usual game against a decent 3/4 D. :unsure:

I hope Gailey puts him in situations that play to what we see him do well.

Edited by bowery4

Whomever posted we should have played more prosets is spot on, Edwards needs to be under center with decisions identified ahead of time, 1st read, 2nd read, throw away or step up in pocket/scramble. He's not an intuitive player, so don't force or look for intuitive type of play(s) from him, we have all learned it's simply not possible with him.

This exactly sums up why Trent Edwards needs to be cut from the team today. Not tomorrow, today.

You can't win this way, and to suggest that dumbing down things to his moronic level is what we should do is absurd.

The fact that anyone who calls themselves a Bills fan would be satisfied with a quarterback who needs to run such a simplistic offense because he is incapable of running a professional offense is sad.

Cut him today.

Look vigilantly for a quarterback who IS CAPABLE. Do not settle for one that isn't. Acquire, evaluate, eliminate. Chuck the attitude of having "the best chance of winning on Sunday". We've been hamstrung by that for a decade. Bring them in, try them out, and ship them out if they aren't capable.

It is worth losing badly in the short term when you can justify it with scouring the earth for an elite, franchise quarterback. Without one, all you can hope for is one lucky fluke year where the stars align. The good teams have the elite quarterbacks. The ones make them competitive and relevant for a decade or more.

Do not compromise. Cut Trent Edwards.

Edited by akm0404

Wow, terrible screen name :wallbash: but good post.

I have been on that crusade :thumbsup: and read it on another Bills web site as well. (I really don't want to say which one because I don't want to advertise another one on here). I do think that that web site has some good analysis tho.

But yeah he looked sooooo much more comfortable during preseason and I thought he did well with playaction. They also can not stack the box nearly as much if he does throw out of PA, IMO. I just think the shotgun is back too far for him to read quickly. On the otherhand he played his usual game against a decent 3/4 D. :unsure:

I hope Gailey puts him in situations that play to what we see him do well.

2 reasons:

1) Edwards saw very limited action in the pre-season (and I wasn't overly impressed with what little we saw of him then, either);

2) No one 'game plans' for their opponents during the pre-season (opposing coaches are basically evaluating players to get down to 53) so the Miami game was the first time we saw Edwards play against a D that prepared specifically for him and the Bills.

I've seen enough of Trent. Bring on Brohm - guy is probably better equipped to play against GB's D anyway.

Edited by The Senator

This exactly sums up why Trent Edwards needs to be cut from the team today. Not tomorrow, today.

You can't win this way, and to suggest that dumbing down things to his moronic level is what we should do is absurd.

The fact that anyone who calls themselves a Bills fan would be satisfied with a quarterback who needs to run such a simplistic offense because he is incapable of running a professional offense is sad.

Cut him today.

Look vigilantly for a quarterback who IS CAPABLE. Do not settle for one that isn't. Acquire, evaluate, eliminate. Chuck the attitude of having "the best chance of winning on Sunday". We've been hamstrung by that for a decade. Bring them in, try them out, and ship them out if they aren't capable.

It is worth losing badly in the short term when you can justify it with scouring the earth for an elite, franchise quarterback. Without one, all you can hope for is one lucky fluke year where the stars align. The good teams have the elite quarterbacks. The ones make them competitive and relevant for a decade or more.

Do not compromise. Cut Trent Edwards.

Trent Edwards isn't getting cut-but he could be benched pretty soon for the capable veteran, the guy who was at the helm for the majority of snaps in 5 of last year's 6 victories-Ryan Fitzpatrick. You may not think he looks pretty out there, but the best QB available to do exactly what you want is Fitzpatrick. There's nobody on the street or available through trade who is any better than Fitz.

So if the goal is to win games, Fitzpatrick is the one.

Fitz is not great but he is a legitimate NFL quarterback.

It's been a long time since Edwards has shown that he is one.

If Edwards has another game like Miami and does not get benched, I literally cannot watch any more games this year with him at quarterback.

And I pay for the Sunday Ticket!

Good points, Frank.

To be Frank, the coaching staff needs to be focusing gameplans that avoid relying on Edwards to make big plays when the defense recognizes the same,

You want the offensive game plan to ignore the QB's role?

Look, I hate Edwards as much as the next bills fan, and living in New England makes it worse. I'm simply stating a different point if view since like I said Im tires of venting and stating obvious points like he should be cut etc. For whatever reason our coaching staff disagrees. To that point, if they want him to play then change the philosophy I all I am saying. Secondly, what is the right way to win? I thought it was playing to your team's stengths? Tom Brady and the Pats being what they are is a function of them playing to their strengths, something the "deflated titties neath my sweatshirt" coach of theirs has continuously recognized. To suggest there's one absolute formula for winnig with a team and a qb doesn't really hold true since the QBs who are successful in my opinion are put in positions that play to their strengths.

Did I talk to myself like a wierd homeless man as I watched the bill play on Sunday? Yes, muttering the same phrases about him and his thought process for checkig down and looking forward to ABC family with his sis later on? Yes. I'm just soul searching, trying to find solutions and ways to make myself think positive. As a die hard fan, just pissing and moaning doesn't do it or me.

You want the offensive game plan to ignore the QB's role?

and what role is that exactly? Qbs have different roles on different teams. My definition of role here is the level of what you are asking him to do. Trust me I'm a Trent hater and want a qb who can do those things your elluding to. All I'm saying if it appears they want to go with him ( I'm not gonna B word since They made their decision ) then put the team in the best position. From my perspective, our gameplans didn't suit us on Sunday Inc it came clear Edwards hadn't changed.

2 reasons:

1) Edwards saw very limited action in the pre-season (and I wasn't overly impressed with what little we saw of him then, either);

2) No one 'game plans' for their opponents during the pre-season (opposing coaches are basically evaluating players to get down to 53) so the Miami game was the first time we saw Edwards play against a D that prepared specifically for him and the Bills.

I've seen enough of Trent. Bring on Brohm - guy is probably better equipped to play against GB's D anyway.

you werent impressed by Trent in the preseason, but you WERE impressed with Brohm??.......i must have missed Brohms breakout game, which one was it?

Fitz is not great but he is a legitimate NFL quarterback.

It's been a long time since Edwards has shown that he is one.

If Edwards has another game like Miami and does not get benched, I literally cannot watch any more games this year with him at quarterback.

And I pay for the Sunday Ticket!

I'm with you. I get Sunday ticket to specifically watch Bills games. I can't watch this guy. He is just awful. People lament about his always checking down but even those plays are not successful. I was going to fly in for the Jax game but i will cancel the trip if Edwards lays another egg and is still QB'ing. I would gladly watch Fitz. He made some big plays down the field last year and his clearly the smarter QB when it comes to reading the D. He also moves around better and can get away.

you werent impressed by Trent in the preseason, but you WERE impressed with Brohm??.......i must have missed Brohms breakout game, which one was it?

It was the one where he started the game and played a significant portion with #1 receivers, rbs, and o-line - you don't remember that game? :unsure:

The pro set is a bit out of date (in some ways but still useful in a run first offence which with our liability at QB we would certainly need if we stay with him) but we did use a variation (one TE) during the preseason and he did look effective. Other NFL teams use it too. If he is a NFL quality QB wasn't the issue I was talking about. akm0404 please don't misconstrue my posts to fit your agenda.

Do I think Trent is the answer? IDK and don't claim to know and in some ways prefer the idea of Fitz who is more versatile. I hope our coach knows what is, what is. I just gave my opinion about what is most effective from what I saw so far this year.

Many here have been satisfied with this for the past 6 years or so.