Let me ask this

thewildrabbit

This was a team loss and the entire offense stunk it up, not just one player.

Chan Gailey was supposed to run the ball to set up the pass, the first pick in the draft was CJ Spiller. The guy who was so good that he could make the O line better because of his speed....remember that line?

What happened to the freaking running game, where was CJ Spiller all game, someone explain that because I just don't get why Chan Gailey starts this game the same way AVP or Turk Schonhert used to start games. The Bills start the game in shotgun formation and go 3 and out, this offense looked like the same crap we have seen the last 4 years with Jauron and his band of buffoons... only a worse running game.

CJ Spiller had 7 attempts for 6 yards and everyone is blaming the QB, this was the new RB who was supposed to be the offensive savior. Total rushing stats, 17 rushes for 50 yards 2.9 avg per rush, this Bills offense played worse then last years teams. Yea Trent Edwards stunk it up, but so did his head coach. poor game plan, poor play calling poor scheme. Not what most of us were expecting to see after the last 3 preseason games.

You guys blame Edwards all you want, Gailey takes credit for this disaster IMO

Check the play by play:

http://www.cbssports...0100912_MIA@BUF

Edited by thewildrabbit

Because Edwards sucks and he plays the most important position. The easiest way to improve on a 17 for 50 rush line is to run (no pun intended) more plays. In order to run more plays you need 1st downs. In order to get 1st downs when you're averaging 2.9 yards per rush your QB needs to make an occasional play on 3rd down. But wait - the pathetic QB is not capable of making a play on 3rd down. So what do you want them do - run on every 1st and 2nd down so they can set up a 3rd&8? Because fans never complain about the playcalling being too conservative/predictable when that happens.

Because Edwards sucks and he plays the most important position. The easiest way to improve on a 17 for 50 rush line is to run (no pun intended) more plays. In order to run more plays you need 1st downs. In order to get 1st downs when you're averaging 2.9 yards per rush your QB needs to make an occasional play on 3rd down. But wait - the pathetic QB is not capable of making a play on 3rd down. So what do you want them do - run on every 1st and 2nd down so they can set up a 3rd&8? Because fans never complain about the playcalling being too conservative/predictable when that happens.

You explained nothing to what I asked...all you want to do is bash the QB. The Bills could have run 100 plays and if the QB can't make 3rd and long because he has a defender in his face... how exactly does that keep the OC from calling more running plays

Wouldn't it have been nice to open the game at least trying to run the ball, did you click on the link and even look at the play by play? The Bills tried to run mostly out of the shotgun formation the exact same way that AVP and Turk Schonert tried to do, with less success. Play action formations work because the defense doesn't know what to expect and it gives the RB some power to gain speed before he hits the line. The Bills opened the game by passing and failed to establish any passing rhythm at all, but then they didn't even try to establish a running attack at any point in the game. This offense looked like the very same crap we have seen the last 4 years.

You explained nothing to what I asked...all you want to do is bash the QB. The Bills could have run 100 plays and if the QB can't make 3rd and long because he has a defender in his face... how exactly does that keep the OC from calling more running plays

Wouldn't it have been nice to open the game at least trying to run the ball, did you click on the link and even look at the play by play? The Bills tried to run mostly out of the shotgun formation the exact same way that AVP and Turk Schonert tried to do, with less success. Play action formations work because the defense doesn't know what to expect and it gives the RB some power to gain speed before he hits the line. The Bills opened the game by passing and failed to establish any passing rhythm at all, but then they didn't even try to establish a running attack at any point in the game. This offense looked like the very same crap we have seen the last 4 years.

Yes the Bills need to run the ball better, but when the defense has eight in the box with their safties playing almost as a linebacker, then you're not going to be able to run the ball until they respect your passing game. And NO ONE fears Trent Edwards. The best example of how bad he is and that he has no clue is the very last series. 20 odd seconds left, no timeouts, when only 2 hailmarys could win the game, what's Trent doing? Looking and waiting for an open 3 yrd checkdown receiver to come open. He's clueless. This game will always start with how good your QB is and ours has sucked for 3 years now and he isn't going to get better.

Because he doesn't have the one thing that all successful QBs need: a short memory. Hit him once, and he runs the rest of the game. Runs away from whatever protection is provided and then, to top it off, is too scared to throw the ball. The guy is a mental wreck, and needs to be given his walking papers.

Because he doesn't have the one thing that all successful QBs need: a short memory. Hit him once, and he runs the rest of the game. Runs away from whatever protection is provided and then, to top it off, is too scared to throw the ball. The guy is a mental wreck, and needs to be given his walking papers.

This. Up 'til yesterday, I still thought he could be salvaged. I don't think that anymore.

I with you. Gaily did a very poor job at playcalling and the OL was atrocious. I don't think anybody disagrees with this.

However, trying to mitigate Edwards contributions by spreading the blame too thin isn't right either. Go check out other teams with competent QBing. Sure, they get better pass protection in general but watch what the QBs do when they end up in a game where the D is getting consistent pressure. They don't immediately leave the pocket and stumble towards the sidelines tossing the ball out of bounds. They adjust and start getting rid of the ball quicker. They realize they can't sit back there and they take a three step drop and get rid of the ball. And this doesn't mean checking down to the local back sitting in the flat. You can still get the ball to your wideouts doing this if you make quick reads and don't panic.

Edwards just can't do this. Hell, check out his check downs, he is so panicked when he tries to dump the ball off that half the time he fires the ball much too hard for such a short pass. This is not a calm, cool QB. ANY QB in the league is good if they have great protection and can sit back there all day, what separates the good QBs from the average and bad ones is what they do when they have pressure. Edwards panics and you can't win with a QB who panics.

Very good post.

In answer to the original post, people here love to blame the QB for everything. To blame the QB for this loss obviously is simplistic, but is to be expected on this board. As Chan said in his post game press conference, people will always blame the QB and the head coach for everything. As he also said, they are big boys and will handle it.

The good news is that I was pleasantly surprised with the defense. Except for some very frustrating third down conversions, I thought the D fought hard.

I don't blame Trent for the loss, I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the worst offensive line play I have ever witnessed. There is not one guy in this group that could start anywhere else in the league right now period. When they blocked a little by accident, we scored. The rest of the time Trent and anyone else with the football in his hands behind the line of scrimmage ran for his life. No amount of talent in either the RB position, or QB position can perform effectively under that much constant duress period.

This is not a surprise, nor should it be to anyone with any football knowledge, the front office did not do anything to improve this area of need, which you can't blame either. They focused on upgrading defense and drafted an offensive talent which was sorely needed. Spiller might very well be the next Thurman Thomas, and I am willing to accept the drawbacks of not drafting an OT instead, I think Spiller will be worth it. I saw enough on the defensive side of the ball in one game that gives me hope for the future of this team.

Offensive gameplan was very vanilla, which surprised me considering Gailey's history and reputation.

Also, Edwards reverted back to his old, tired, timid ways. Offensive line play was below average, but you're not going to win games when your quarterback throws for 30-something yards through three quarters and refuses to even try to move the ball downfield.

+1

It comes down to the QB. They pressed everybody up to stop the run and short pass. No respect for the 15-20 yard route. Seems like we haven't completed one of those since Bledsoe.

but you could look at it the opposite... since running is supposed to be the strength of the team, why didn't the run open up the pass? with the line getting blown up we really had no chance at running or passing effectively. maybe we needed a different gameplan, cuz whatever that was, we could not execute it or defense was playing it perfectly.

BECAUSE HE SUCKS!

No running game, because why wouldn't you just jam the box if he can if the QB can only see the line of scrimmage?

No passing game, because he sucks.

Coaches game plan was vanilla? Because he sucks. I'm sure the game plan had him throw down the field on more than one play. He just cannot execute it. When it comes to game time - this guys is a deer in headlights. It's over!

The run set up the pass from the get go. It was pretty clear the entire Miami D was drooling every time Spiller got the ball.

The first pass attempt of more than 10 yards was with 12 seconds left in the first half.

When they're crowding the line, you throw over them.

We have a QB who won't.

This was a team loss and the entire offense stunk it up, not just one player.

Chan Gailey was supposed to run the ball to set up the pass, the first pick in the draft was CJ Spiller. The guy who was so good that he could make the O line better because of his speed....remember that line?

What happened to the freaking running game, where was CJ Spiller all game, someone explain that because I just don't get why Chan Gailey starts this game the same way AVP or Turk Schonhert used to start games. The Bills start the game in shotgun formation and go 3 and out, this offense looked like the same crap we have seen the last 4 years with Jauron and his band of buffoons... only a worse running game.

CJ Spiller had 7 attempts for 6 yards and everyone is blaming the QB, this was the new RB who was supposed to be the offensive savior. Total rushing stats, 17 rushes for 50 yards 2.9 avg per rush, this Bills offense played worse then last years teams. Yea Trent Edwards stunk it up, but so did his head coach. poor game plan, poor play calling poor scheme. Not what most of us were expecting to see after the last 3 preseason games.

You guys blame Edwards all you want, Gailey takes credit for this disaster IMO

Check the play by play:

http://www.cbssports...0100912_MIA@BUF

Yah and if you go to BB.com and look at the video Chan says it was his fault because he drew up the offensive game plan . You all think your so damb good at being a head coach in the NFL when your siiting on your fat a** drinkin beer in your house or in a bar . Well when monday rolls around and your sitting on your f-in tow motor in the wear house and you go home to your over weight wife and think how great of an NFL coach you could have been look at your surroundings before you think how great you aren't !!!!!!!

Yah and if you go to BB.com and look at the video Chan says it was his fault because he drew up the offensive game plan . You all think your so damb good at being a head coach in the NFL when your siiting on your fat a** drinkin beer in your house or in a bar . Well when monday rolls around and your sitting on your f-in tow motor in the wear house and you go home to your over weight wife and think how great of an NFL coach you could have been look at your surroundings before you think how great you aren't !!!!!!!

I think this may be the most mis-spelled post I've ever seen.

I would've thought Buddy Nix would at least use spell check. He must be to damb busy.

Edwards didn't look good, but he didn't have a lot of time to look good (offensive line.)

The receivers didn't look good, but they didn't have a lot of time to get open (offensive line.)

The running backs didn't look good, but they couldn't get to or past the line of scrimmage (offensive line.)

Gailey didn't look good, but the Phins rushing the passer before anything could develop, catching running backs before they could get to the line of scrimmage or opening up holes in the rare event they could get to the line of scrimmage kind of put a crimp on their style. (offensive line.)

oh..Flozell Adams, Marcus McNeil, Brian Baluga, et al...wouldn't have helped?

I with you. Gaily did a very poor job at playcalling and the OL was atrocious. I don't think anybody disagrees with this.

However, trying to mitigate Edwards contributions by spreading the blame too thin isn't right either. Go check out other teams with competent QBing. Sure, they get better pass protection in general but watch what the QBs do when they end up in a game where the D is getting consistent pressure. They don't immediately leave the pocket and stumble towards the sidelines tossing the ball out of bounds. They adjust and start getting rid of the ball quicker. They realize they can't sit back there and they take a three step drop and get rid of the ball. And this doesn't mean checking down to the local back sitting in the flat. You can still get the ball to your wideouts doing this if you make quick reads and don't panic.

Edwards just can't do this. Hell, check out his check downs, he is so panicked when he tries to dump the ball off that half the time he fires the ball much too hard for such a short pass. This is not a calm, cool QB. ANY QB in the league is good if they have great protection and can sit back there all day, what separates the good QBs from the average and bad ones is what they do when they have pressure. Edwards panics and you can't win with a QB who panics.

This really sums it up for me, couldn't have said it any better. He has a trigger finger, and I do not bilieve that

he will ever overcome his nervousness, I was hoping, but it is evident now.

Seems like everyone but a few are disagreeing with this, most just want to blame it all on Edwards

Lets face facts, Trent Edwards has been trained to run for his life by Jauron and his staff of buffoons... Edwards has suffered 2 severe concussions in the last 2 years and I don't blame the guy for his play, not when I see the O line play like a sieve

Nevertheless, everyone seems to be ignoring the statement made by Gailey after he drafted Spiller , that a great RB will make the O line better. I say BS, there is no way to make that O line will be better no matter who the RB is, the guy was getting tackled in the backfield as soon as he touched the ball.

WTF happened to the 3 step drop passes, the slants and quick outs to open up the passing game and running game. I'll tell you what happened, the receivers were getting bumped and knocked out of their routes at the LoS and when the QB has no outlet to throw to... it destroys the entire offensive game plan. Gailey didn't adjust his plan at all, so if the first plan fails then the offense is screwed

Only fools will blame this loss on one guy, this was a total team screw up by the coaches, players and FO who refused to bring in proper talent at the tackle position