Yes Sir, Chan Gailey - "Super Offensive Genius"

BillsPhan

So Chan Gailey is an offensive whiz who coaches to his players strengths, huh? :w00t:

Chan Gailey believes in "toughness and discipline". He will run the football, and coach Trent Edwards up enough to allow him to finally succeed. Yes siree.

The O-Line strength is in the middle and run blocking, and their major weakness as we all know, is pass blocking, right??

Freddy Jackson, C.J. Spiller and Marshawn Lynch would carry the offense while Edwards would take advantage of Gailey's offensive mind with high percentage passes down the field - good old fashioned ball control offense, right???

Now on to the reality:

Gailey called: 17 running plays and 34 passing plays.

Somewhere out there Dick Jauron, Turk Shoenert and Alex Van Pelt are laughing their asses of. :beer:

So Chan Gailey is an offensive whiz who coaches to his players strengths, huh? :w00t:

Chan Gailey believes in "toughness and discipline". He will run the football, and coach Trent Edwards up enough to allow him to finally succeed. Yes siree.

The O-Line strength is in the middle and run blocking, and their major weakness as we all know, is pass blocking, right??

Freddy Jackson, C.J. Spiller and Marshawn Lynch would carry the offense while Edwards would take advantage of Gailey's offensive mind with high percentage passes down the field - good old fashioned ball control offense, right???

Now on to the reality:

Somewhere out there Dick Jauron, Turk Shoenert and Alex Van Pelt are laughing their asses of. :beer:

Whoah relax one game. I remember after the first preseason game against the Skins we had this same thread and then same sllence after the next few games.

Gailey tried a lot of different looks, called a nice no huddle series, fought for a desperate low % field goal (which I like the effort), showed off the wild cat, got Roscoe in the game...and got his first real look at how terrible Trent is when the pressure is on.

If you watched him in KC with Thigpen it took him a few games to adjust the offense to him. But he did, and did it well.

You can't fire a guy after one game. You just can't.

Now on to the reality:

I definitely felt the Game Plan was WAY too cute...Many of those Passes where just cute little ways to get the Ball in the Hands of Jackson, Spiller and Lynch...It did not work...No one was fooled...The fish were the FAR more physical Team...Whatelse is new...I've been saying this for quite a few years now...If the Bills can't line up and pound the Ball with a physical running Game they are not going to win in Buffalo...It's WNY not the West Coast...Gailey says it's a tough Game for tough people, then he better get them to go out and play that way and stop trying to be cute...Line up and beat the guy in front of you first and then we'll talk about the cute stuff... B-)

Now on to the reality:

We couldn't run. That may have had something to do with his play calling.

A lot of folks have been kidding themselves that Chan's play calling would somehow turn it all around. Turns out instead that you need good players. Don't blame Chan. Just accept that we're rebuilding, and figure that if we continue drafting well, that by 2012 or so, Chan's play calls might look a lot better with a good OL, a good QB and two good WRs executing them.

We'll see what Chan does about it. After this game, he has to know that he's !@#$ed.

He should be pissed more at himself than anyone else.

Bad gameplan.

Wrong call on the TD to Roscoe (fortunate that it worked in my opinion).

Bad call on the intentional safety.

Timeout wasted on 3rd and 30 (If he didn't call it I recant this one)

The only thing that worked was that one no huddle series. The rest of the game was an offensive joke (pun intended).

Only one game to be sure, maybe Gailey and everyone else can manage to get their heads out of their collective asses by next Sunday. We can only hope.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I don't know anyone who called gailey a "super offensive genius," but I am glad that he is there instead of jauron and co.

I am loving that parrish is getting involved, nelson seems to be a nice find, and the no-huddle drive looked pretty nice.

What sucks is, Edwards is below average still, our tackles are a joke, and as a whole, the offense hasn't gotten a rhythm.

But man, that defense looks great. Even the linebackers looked good and maybin put on some pressure that actually impacted some plays. I know long was hampered by injury, but still... nice feat by the defense to get some pressure. And awesome with the secondary not letting marshall score. He was fighting hard to be his best and they kept him in check.

That offense though.... the offense needs another offseason of fixing at least to be bearable. We def need a new QB and new tackles. And we should probably run the ball more. Though I liked that chan threw it more, because the phins secondary seems weaker than their d-line. But we really need to try to run the thing more. our wildcat looked good until the stupid ass penalties screwed that drive up. If we can rid those mistakes, our wildcat could be a dangerous weapon this season.

We couldn't run. That may have had something to do with his play calling.

A lot of folks have been kidding themselves that Chan's play calling would somehow turn it all around. Turns out instead that you need good players. Don't blame Chan. Just accept that we're rebuilding, and figure that if we continue drafting well, that by 2012 or so, Chan's play calls might look a lot better with a good OL, a good QB and two good WRs executing them.

I don't know about that. I would argue that they have the talent to support a better run-to-pass ratio than they called today.

I agree the talent at QB is not up to NFL standards, but if that's the case, why put your QB in the shotgun more than half the game.

Miami used the run game to go from 1-15 to the playoffs, For the Bills to be successful, they have to make a similar commitment to the running game. I didn't see that type of commitment from the Bills coaching staff today.

Now on to the reality:

His QB sucks.

His QB sucks.

Then don't put the game in the QB's hands. Line up and run the ball right down their throats. They started the game in the shotgun with 3 straight passes - not a good game all around for Gaily.

That being said I'm not going to judge him for this game alone. Let's see how he adjusts the rest of the season before throwing dirt on his grave.

don't blame chan, he is better than jauron. Trent is the reason for the ugly season and it's going to be a very long year.

What makes you say that? Chan's horrible career record, the fact he has been fired from every position he ahs ever held, or todays encouraging performace?

That end of the game management was just as bad if not worse than Dickie Js. Why take the safety only to punt it to the 50? JUST PUnT IT TO THE 50 WITHOUT GOING DOWN BY 5!

Holy sh*t I have to live through another 3 years (minimum) of this....

Then don't put the game in the QB's hands. Line up and run the ball right down their throats. They started the game in the shotgun with 3 straight passes - not a good game all around for Gaily.

That being said I'm not going to judge him for this game alone. Let's see how he adjusts the rest of the season before throwing dirt on his grave.

Easier said then done when Miami basically lined up all game to stop the run and force the QB to beat them.

Exactly. Why did we start the game in shotgun formation and using 3 & 4 WR sets? We did this several times today. I thought we were going to be a more run-oriented offense, and use the run to set-up the pass? When in fact we were concentrated on passing most of the game. This made no sense to me and Gailey has got to explain why were not trying consistently run the ball today.

What makes you say that? Chan's horrible career record, the fact he has been fired from every position he ahs ever held, or todays encouraging performace?

That end of the game management was just as bad if not worse than Dickie Js. Why take the safety only to punt it to the 50? JUST PUnT IT TO THE 50 WITHOUT GOING DOWN BY 5!

Holy sh*t I have to live through another 3 years (minimum) of this....

The point was to get out of the bad field position where a punt would probably still keep miami in FG range where they will kill the clock and go down by 6, or take the safety and attempt an onside kick, which they attempted. This way you are still less then a TD away and take the chance of possibly getting the ball back.

So put someone in who's not afraid to throw the ball...eff Trent Edwards.

Not going to argue with that one

The point was to get out of the bad field position where a punt would probably still keep miami in FG range where they will kill the clock and go down by 6, or take the safety and attempt an onside kick, which they attempted. This way you are still less then a TD away and take the chance of possibly getting the ball back.

Not going to argue with that one

Did you watch the game? That was not an onsie kick. An onsie kick is first kicked off the ground - so that the recieving team cannot call a fair catch - which Marshall did. Also they dont go 30 yards down field, they go 10.

Not only that, but they DID IT TWICE with the time out. WTF? I understand the logic in the safety to attempt an onside kick (still dont agree with going down 5) but the logic only makes sense when you attempt an onsides. That was not an onside kick. Period.