"Unknown" joins BILLS to help win.

In April Jacksonville was shocked and scrambled reaching for DE Aluala after the Bills Spiller selection...The draft experts were flabbergasted.

Levi Brown Cut. NOBODY flys out to Schobel to beg while McCargo and Lynch embraced? OTs not addressed as they believe Bell can handle his business.Stroud's big ass converted to DE and Kyle on the nose? The speed of Roscoe in the mix? Who is this Nelson kid?

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Why do most of the experts have the BILLS finishing last in the AFC East and feel that they'll be lucky to win a game or two? A: Because with all the changes they don't have a clue about this team. They are a mystery. How do you game plan for a team that you know nothing about with so many changes? You cant. We are a wild cat.

Gailey knows this defense is good but hes hiding it, no blitz packages shown.Whose our running back? How does the BEST secondary and backfield in the NFL not win? Impossible! I also believe this team is far more balanced then meets the eye. The Dolphins game is sold out, The 12th man will be in full force. CG's Bills are a mystery and they will crush the Fins.

I like the idea, good post...I have been thinking about this myself.

I have been wondering if Gailey came up with "injuries" for Lynch and Jackson to throw Miami off guard in their planning for week one. It just seems odd that they both were not supposed to be around this week, especially Jackson...and now all of a sudden BOTH of them are going to be playing...along with Torbor, who was the same situation.

It is very Bill Belichik-ish...playing games with the injury report.

I also would bet the house that we did not even see a 1/4 of the playbook in pre-season...especially with the defense. :thumbsup:

Edited by Wilson from Gamehendge

Gailey knows this defense is good but hes hiding it

yeah im not buying that at all

where is the pass rush gonna come from? where is the run d gonna come from? the only potential difference maker who isnt a db is stroud and hes playing a brand new position. everywhere else in the front seven is pedestrian role players and/or rookies. and the dbs overall are strong but they dont have any game changers either and a good secondary wont even matter much when backs are ripping of five/six yards most runs

COULD a bunch of bills defenders elevate their game to make the defense good? well yeah but there would have to be so many that it has to be considered a longshot. i see nothing to be confident about this bunch doing that this season. but i do see lots of reasons why this most likely will be a defense hemorrhaging rushing yards most weeks

i sure as hell hope im wrong but its gonna take a miracle for this defense to be average this season

where is the pass rush gonna come from? where is the run d gonna come from? the only potential difference maker who isnt a db is stroud and hes playing a brand new position. everywhere else in the front seven is pedestrian role players and/or rookies. and the dbs overall are strong but they dont have any game changers either and a good secondary wont even matter much when backs are ripping of five/six yards most runs

COULD a bunch of bills defenders elevate their game to make the defense good? well yeah but there would have to be so many that it has to be considered a longshot. i see nothing to be confident about this bunch doing that this season. but i do see lots of reasons why this most likely will be a defense hemorrhaging rushing yards most weeks

i sure as hell hope im wrong but its gonna take a miracle for this defense to be average this season

I think the pass rush is going to come from Blitzes, and I think the run defense is going to improve because they are going to have a formation of 2 DEs, 3 DTs, & 2 LBs.

Hiding how good our defense is? I'm not puffing on that. However even if our defense on paper is worse than last year, we'll do better this year.

Jauron was the substitute teacher you didn't care about listening to and slacked off on. Gailey seems to be the teacher that expects you to do well and you must answer to if you fail. I think thats what will make this year better than last year.

After reading the article about the 3-4 on the front page, I am a little more optimistic about the run def, as opposed to what we saw in preseason. The front seven is bigger than last year, but more importantly they are all experienced players. The best run defense is one that is greater than the sum of its parts (you can quote me John). This defense can be good by having experienced players playing as a unit, not because a bunch of them need to elevate their game.

We'll find out soon enough!

After reading the article about the 3-4 on the front page, I am a little more optimistic about the run def, as opposed to what we saw in preseason. The front seven is bigger than last year, but more importantly they are all experienced players. The best run defense is one that is greater than the sum of its parts (you can quote me John). This defense can be good by having experienced players playing as a unit, not because a bunch of them need to elevate their game.

We'll find out soon enough!

Not to mention there have been a few articles that said we've been playing a very base D - no real blitzes, not the full package, etc. Let's hope it works on Sunday!

and the dbs overall are strong but they dont have any game changers either and a good secondary wont even matter much when backs are ripping of five/six yards most runs

I'm a bit nervous about the defense as well after the preseason, but I'm thinking we'll probably start the season a bit shaky and

then get better as the year goes on, becoming a pretty good defense down the stretch.

And I think I would call Byrd a game changer...he's only played one year, but the kid is no fluke.

Love the post OP!

Go Bills. I wonder if they will make Sun Tzu or Clausewitz consultants for the team the way Parcells is for Miami.

It would be nice, but wouldn't they contrdict one another with Sun Tzu being a master of disguised warfare and Clauswitz a proponent of total war?

In April Jacksonville was shocked and scrambled reaching for DE Aluala after the Bills Spiller selection...The draft experts were flabbergasted.

Levi Brown Cut. NOBODY flys out to Schobel to beg while McCargo and Lynch embraced? OTs not addressed as they believe Bell can handle his business.Stroud's big ass converted to DE and Kyle on the nose? The speed of Roscoe in the mix? Who is this Nelson kid?

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Why do most of the experts have the BILLS finishing last in the AFC East and feel that they'll be lucky to win a game or two? A: Because with all the changes they don't have a clue about this team. They are a mystery. How do you game plan for a team that you know nothing about with so many changes? You cant. We are a wild cat.

Gailey knows this defense is good but hes hiding it, no blitz packages shown.Whose our running back? How does the BEST secondary and backfield in the NFL not win? Impossible! I also believe this team is far more balanced then meets the eye. The Dolphins game is sold out, The 12th man will be in full force. CG's Bills are a mystery and they will crush the Fins.

Because the worst offensive line and worst linebackers in the league trump RB's and DB's

Deception has been used my many successful head coaches. This is where using the media to an organizations advantage comes in to play. Don Shula, Jimmy Johnson, chuck Noll I came to learn used deception to "bate" the opponent in one direction and then drive in another. Another example is the 1990 Bills Playoff Game 1 vs Miami. If you all recall, Jim Kelly five weeks earlier hurt his knee vs the Giants on that awesome Saturday afternoon game. The week leading up to the Bills / Dolphins game, Marv Levy did a great job of "Well, we just don't know where Kelly is at.....the cold weather really plays havoc on an injury, especially the knee....." When game time hit, Kelly was lights out vs the fins. Deception is also used by Belicheck :)

Seriously? You really think Miami in any way believed Kelly wasn't going to play? These coaches game plan everything. Miami has a gameplan if Roscoe Parrish has to play emergency QB. They have a game plan if the toilets don't work. Do you think for a moment there is anything that the Bills 3-4 defense could surprise the Dolphins with? The only surprise would be if we played with 10 guys on the field.

Because the worst offensive line and worst linebackers in the league trump RB's and DB's

Seriously? You really think Miami in any way believed Kelly wasn't going to play? These coaches game plan everything. Miami has a gameplan if Roscoe Parrish has to play emergency QB. They have a game plan if the toilets don't work. Do you think for a moment there is anything that the Bills 3-4 defense could surprise the Dolphins with? The only surprise would be if we played with 10 guys on the field.

Go sharper802! and take your crappy attitude with you. Go Bills.

Great post Belucheese, you seem like a nice addition to the board.

Can't wait for Sunday.....the Spiller era begins!

<br />i like that you used "might" haha bc you just dont know. also football is brutal violence where genius doesnt work...but its how we attack or what kinda  fight we have in us. I chose Sun Tzu only for the prose in its translation. But the quote is really still true in modern battle today and always will be found in good leadership. U can ask any man w balls "What should we do in a situation where we are at a disadvantage?" and these rules will be expressed. Football is a war game with planning involved deception is only a part of it. Confidence in the face of risk is another factor as well as pure power. Will stroud suck as a DE? Will Kyle be a good NG? Can Spiller handle 25 carries?   Is having Spiller + OT Bell better than just getting Anthony Davis or Buluga?  This is the type of analysis that is required and thought about in a we must win now situation. nobody cares about the buffalo bills or thinks we can win but yes as a fan I do. therefore I appreciate the critical actions that CG is taking with what he has. this is America..."no past only frontiers" -Donald Draper. theres a modern qoute for you<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hey - whatever gets you pumped up. I'm just thinking our lack of talent dictates a 4-12 season regardless of philosophical lens you use to view the team and the coaching approach. Your Draper quote sounds great, but having yet another year with no playoffs can't hide the fact that our "frontiers" are endless mediocrity.

<br /><br /><br />

Hey - whatever gets you pumped up. I'm just thinking our lack of talent dictates a 4-12 season regardless of philosophical lens you use to view the team and the coaching approach. Your Draper quote sounds great, but having yet another year with no playoffs can't hide the fact that our "frontiers" are endless mediocrity.

Well, where do we have a lack of talent? linebackers? how are we less talented than last year? are the defensive FAs scrubs that dont know the 3-4? Trent? at lest tell us as oppose to just saying we suck.4-12 is worse than last year. Are we healthier this year? are we stronger?

i like that you used "might" haha bc you just dont know. also football is brutal violence where genius doesnt work...but its how we attack or what kinda fight we have in us. I chose Sun Tzu only for the prose in its translation. But the quote is really still true in modern battle today and always will be found in good leadership. U can ask any man w balls "What should we do in a situation where we are at a disadvantage?" and these rules will be expressed. Football is a war game with planning involved deception is only a part of it. Confidence in the face of risk is another factor as well as pure power. Will stroud suck as a DE? Will Kyle be a good NG? Can Spiller handle 25 carries? Is having Spiller + OT Bell better than just getting Anthony Davis or Buluga? This is the type of analysis that is required and thought about in a we must win now situation. nobody cares about the buffalo bills or thinks we can win but yes as a fan I do. therefore I appreciate the critical actions that CG is taking with what he has. this is America..."no past only frontiers" -Donald Draper. theres a modern qoute for you

No need to explain, Bill Walsh did the same thing in his books:

"Rapidity is the essence of war; take advantage of the enemies' unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."

~~Sun Tsu

BTW, Belichick used Walsh's books as a turn around for him after the Cleveland debacle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-walshinfluence073007

You're right, deception IS big part of game planning, especially when your talent level isn't quite there. It plays a bigger role when you have 3 guy on the field that run a sub 4.4 and can take it to the house if they are provided a crack. Using deception to open that crack is a necessity, not merely a good idea.

As a bit of an offshoot of your original post, here is what I took out of the Cinci game, something we didn't see much of during the Jauron era..something I posted elsewhere...

"From the Q and A with Chan Gailey:

Q: On using the passing game to loosen up Cincinnati’s defense:

They were playing the run very, very hard to start with. After we saw that, we figured we had to throw it a bunch to soften them up a bit. I thought we were able to do that.

And from the Cinci color commentator after the 2nd screen pass, a 26 yard gain by Spiller:

"They feel the pressure, they feel the pressure...screen pass, big gain

They feel the pressure, they feel the pressure again...screen pass, another big gain."

See it;

Feel it;

Adjust to it.

The adjustments made were done from series to series and even within the series.

They weren't made from half to half, or from game to game, but in some cases, from play to play.

There was no..."we have to stay with our game plan"

There was no..."we have to ram the ball down their throats when they are crowding the line"

There was no..."we have to control the clock".

There was no..."it is preseason, and we want to see what certain plays do."

See it;

Feel it;

Adjust to it.

Whitner's comments from opposing players confirmed the suspicions of most, "we know what you were going to do because you guys never adjusted".

This offense isn't good enough to impose its will on another team, as much as I'd like it to. The O line isn't nearly good enough for that, nor is Edwards.

But it does have the tools to adjust, and make a D pay for overcompensating in one area.

It won't be as easy in the regular season, and there will be times when even the right play call will be flubbed.

But based on how I've seen Gailey change things up in the last 2 games, I actually have a glimmer of hope for the O."

Adjusting on the fly based on the conditions present, who would have thunk it?

Thanks cookieG. ur research, great writing and link will not sit here wasted in this post. Youve shared knowledge w me which i greatly appreciate.I will apply this to my business and life.see it;feel it; adjust to it. those screens were executed very well and i hope to see many more.im not just a rah-rah guy i certainly feel that our team will need to improve but im seeing that improvement not only w the calls and coaching, but also the players themselves. its exciting to see a team do something new and improve as they go.im not putting too much weight in the PS games but i am impressed w how the roster has formed and the depth chart. i like that vets on the bubble and youngsters wo pedigree ot a chance to rise and fight to be part of this team. its refreshing. i cannot wait to be at the Ralph and watch this team give it their all.

If Sun Tzu makes anyone feel better about the upcoming season then I'm OK with that, but no amout of ancient wisdom changes the fact that the Bills lack talent in a great number of places as our personnel decisions over the past decade have been terrible. I am constantly amazed at what Bills fans will draw upon to give them hope before the season starts.Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing anyone for getting pumped up, but when your best hope is that we have some sort of genius plan of deception based on ancient philosophy you might just be bitterly disappointed when the season actually starts.

I have to disagree to a point about your statement about lack of talent. The way I see it the only dangerous areas of "possible" lack of talent could be the 2 OLBs, and MAYBE our number 2 WR....I say maybe because the book is still out on those young guys who, IMO, with Evans and Roscoe as the true threats, are just in there with their main objectives to move the chains every now and then and occupy a DB in coverage.

Getting back to the "D", I see no major problem with the DL or the DBs or the 2 MLB's, it's the 2 OLB's that have to hold their own for this "D" to be....ready for this?...better than average.

IF the "D" is pretty decent I'm thinking that the Offense, given steady health all year, could be a major surprise to the league and score some serious points.

Edited by Deadstroke