Is anyone else not fully buying into Gailey?

billsfan89

Anyone who thinks this year's team is better than last years ( before all the injuries ) is absolutely dreaming .. the O Line is the same, best case, QB same, RB a bit better, WRs/TEs definately worse. Defense just as weak.

Gonna be a long season folks. There's that word again.. Hope. Hoping is a waste of time in the NFL. Either you have the goods or you do not. the Bills do not.

I think our team is in transition. Lots of changes are taking place. New players, new coaches, and new schemes. This year my expectations are low. IMHO, I think we will win around five games. However, I am not going to discount we can win more. I know some of you have said 9-10 wins. I can't see it.

I think our offense will be greatly improved. I think we have gotten a preview of that this preseason. I think most would agree. I still think we need a few more pieces in order to be a solid consistent offense. It appears that we still may need good tackles, a wide receiver or two, and maybe a QB. I am looking to see if anyone emerges to fill these needs. For example, we won't need a QB if TE gains confidence and excels in Galiey's system? Bell or Meredith step up and look good? Roscoe and Nelson thrive in an innovative Gailey offense? Roscoe has already surprised me. I was ready to cut him loose. Lots of unanswered questions and that is why I am so excited about this season. I am looking beyond the wins and losses. I struggle with this thinking process because I want to win now.

Defensively, I am worried. We still don't seem to have a legit pass rush and are having trouble stopping the run. I have read lots of post on changing form the 4-3 to 3-4. Your opinions vary. IMHO, it appears that this transition will take some time. I believe teams will exploit our young guys and lack of talent. I don't like our linebackers and I have no idea who is going to pressure the QB. I don't see us being effective in stopping the run either. Perhaps, I am missing something. I don't have a good feeling about our defense.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PTR, I hope your being sarcastic because I don't believe most Bills fans are that close minded and shallow. I for on really disliked the hire and my attitude towards Gailey is changing after what I have seen this off season and preseason. Now, the question will be can we get some wins....

Not being sarcastic at all. Many people who dislike the Gailey hire do so because he was not touted as a "hot coach" by the usual media. They couldn't tell you anything about Chan Gailey but because he doesn't get the media tongue bath, they assume he can't be any good.

PTR

OK I think that Gailey is saying and doing all the right things. BUT I just don't know if he is the coach that is going to lead us back to the playoffs. I mean so far pre-season we have looked good but its pre-season its still meaningless. If I look at what Gailey has done in the past it doesn't inspire much confidence. Since getting canned by Dallas (After a somewhat successful stint there) he hasn't done much.

His record with Miami isn't impressive (they improved after he left), his record with Georgia Tech isn't impressive either (They improved a lot after he left), and KC wasn't that good and even though they got slightly worse after he left Tony Gonzales also left which was more likely due to their slight decline.

All in all I hope for the best but just because Gailey is better then Jauron doesn't mean he is going to work out.

I am sorry, I must have missed the part where your vague commentary has to do with anything considering the season hasn't started yet. Evaluating this team could be done with a little more accuracy by midseason. But hey, if you're not convinced that Gailey is the right fit for the Bills then maybe they should forfeit the season.

Any time my favorite team hires a head coach who:

1.) Got fired from his last job, which was offensive coordinator,

2.) has no other job offers pending,

3.) had 1 previous stint as NFL head coach, where he was a bit of a national joke, and was fired after 2 seasons,

4.) has gone 12 or so years between NFL head coach gigs,

5.) never won a bowl game in 5 or so years as a college head coach,

then I'm going to need to see a winning record before I give him any credit or confidence whatsoever. Just a longstanding rule of mine.

Hope he works out, but let's see it. Words are meaningless; nearly every coach talks a great game, regardless of how bad the on-field product is. Gailey's resume/track record is very underwhelming, and a few nice drives in preseason aren't enough to counteract that. And what's unfair to Gailey is that we got so burned in 2008 that even a hot start won't win me over. I'll hop on the bandwagon when he mathematically clinches a winning record.

1) How many NFL coaches leave jobs any other way? BTW, KC did soooo much better after Chan <_<

2) You're assuming. You don't know that as a fact.

3) Now you're really reaching. How does making the playoffs twice make you a joke? Didn't Jerruh Jones admit firing Gailey was the dumbest thing he ever did?

4) You act like he was out of work for 12 years. He was coaching GaTech for 6 years and he was a coordinator in the NFL the rest of the time earning a rep as one of the top offensive minds in the game.

5) Check your facts before you shoot your mouth off. Chan won 2 bowl games with GT, scoring over 50 pts in each.

No one is losing sleep because you're not on the bandwagon. But if you are going to give reasons why, you ought to give ones that don't make you look like a dummy.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't believe I would be a fan of coach Gailey if we go 0-16. I would not have confidence in the coach and I know I would think were in better hands. Just my opinion.

I guess for me it would depend upon the scenario.

I can think of scenarios where we could go 0-16 and I would still feel we were substantially improving.

-If there were 5 or more serious injuries to key players (OL, starting LB, RB, WR say). We haven't had time to build much depth yet.

-If we still fought hard and made adjustments and were close in most games, with only a couple of blow-outs

-If the offense was still unpredictable and fun to watch

Avert! Here's hoping everyone will stay healthy save typical nicks and dings. GO BILLS!

5) Check your facts before you shoot your mouth off. But if you are going to give reasons why, you ought to give ones that don't make you look like a dummy.

PTR

:worthy: I hope Chan show everyone he is the right man for the job, yeah kinda gotta pull for a guy like him.....

Let's face facts. Those who hate Gailey will always hate Gailey because he wasn't one of the anointed ones. These people rely on others to tell them what is good. So unless there is a talking head on TV raving about a coach or a player, they don't know what to think, even when that coach or player is on the team they follow scoring TDs and winning games.

PTR

I am not dogging Gailey just to be a pessimist I am just merely not going to anoint someone as the savior of the franchise after a good pre-season showing. If he wins us some games and we play smart and hard I will be a fan of Gailey. If this team goes 5-11 or an uncompetitive 6-10 well then how good is Gailey?

I think that supporting every move the Bills make is just as bad as crapping on every move the Bills make. I am a realist and I like what Gailey is doing so far but the real turnaround has to occur in the regular season. I hope Gailey turns us around and I hope we are on the right track (I love the kind of GM Nix is).

All in all I just need to see this change of philosophy pay off in the regular season that's all.

I am not dogging Gailey just to be a pessimist I am just merely not going to anoint someone as the savior of the franchise after a good pre-season showing. If he wins us some games and we play smart and hard I will be a fan of Gailey. If this team goes 5-11 or an uncompetitive 6-10 well then how good is Gailey?

I think that supporting every move the Bills make is just as bad as crapping on every move the Bills make. I am a realist and I like what Gailey is doing so far but the real turnaround has to occur in the regular season. I hope Gailey turns us around and I hope we are on the right track (I love the kind of GM Nix is).

All in all I just need to see this change of philosophy pay off in the regular season that's all.

Well stated. I feel the same way.

Obvious troll is obvious. I think I may put the OP on ignore. Why would you post your thoughts on a message board if you won't respond to 3 pages of replies?

I see folks on NFL handicapping forums thinking Miami -3 is the easiest money for week one. I do not share this viewpoint.

GO BILLS!

Been very busy with school and I kind of forgot to check the thread. All in all I am just pointing out that a lot of people have anointed Gailey the savior after merely a good pre-season showing. And while what Gailey has done with this team in pre-season is a good sign we are still starting out 0-0.

Gailey is much better then DJ BUT he needs to be a damm good coach to get this team to .500 this year and needs to develop players well in order for this team to make the playoffs next year (OR this year). I think Gailey could be the guy but there needs to be results to back up what he is doing.

I am sorry, I must have missed the part where your vague commentary has to do with anything considering the season hasn't started yet. Evaluating this team could be done with a little more accuracy by midseason. But hey, if you're not convinced that Gailey is the right fit for the Bills then maybe they should forfeit the season.

I was mainly pointing out that we don't know what Gailey is so anointing him as the savior or a failure is pre-mature. He has done some good things for this team so far and the team has looked good in pre-season. However I was just saying I can't dog a guy or buy into a guy fully until the team responds to him or doesn't respond to him during the regular season.

He was in Miami for the 2000 and 2001 seasons, they went 11-5 both years with Jay Fiedler at QB. They didn't return to the playoffs until 2008. I'm not sure what you're refering to.

Also, this from the Bills website:

"Gailey’s resume speaks for itself, he has spent nine of his previous 15 NFL seasons as either a head coach or offensive coordinator. During those nine seasons, his teams have made the playoffs seven times and boasted a 1,000-yard rusher on seven different occasions. In total, he has made playoff appearances in 11 of his 15 seasons in NFL coaching. His resume also boasts four Super Bowl berths, including one with Pittsburgh (XXX) and three with Denver (XXI, XXII and XXIV)."

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/chan-gailey/dadb1683-1a19-4811-83c0-b9347f2240ba

As far as his time in Miami goes I think that the offensive rank when Gailey was there got better after he left (It was the defense that got them to the playoffs). His time in Georgia Tech was less then stellar and his time in KC wasn't super impressive (As I said their rank dropped after he left but also Tony Gonzales left at the same time so it might not have been him that lead to the dropoff).

Now his time in Dallas was pretty successful and he had a good stint with the Steelers that got him the job with Dallas so he has had success in the past to go along with his failures. All in all his resume is mixed but going forward his time with the Bills might be his legacy and he is coaching like it.

we have looked good but its pre-season its still meaningless

I'm going to give you a pass on the "it's" (it is) vs "its" (belonging to it), but this sentence is substantively wrong as well. Pre-season wins and losses may be relatively unimportant, but pre-season play, development of players, etc. is important, especially for a team coming off a disaster of an off season and learning new schemes. To have the first unit as successful as they were speaks volumes about the personnel and the coach's ability to get them moving and productive. A lot of what we have seen this pre-season has been positive and indicative of good progress and a team that is more talented than people think.

As far as his time in Miami goes I think that the offensive rank when Gailey was there got better after he left (It was the defense that got them to the playoffs). His time in Georgia Tech was less then stellar and his time in KC wasn't super impressive (As I said their rank dropped after he left but also Tony Gonzales left at the same time so it might not have been him that lead to the dropoff).

Now his time in Dallas was pretty successful and he had a good stint with the Steelers that got him the job with Dallas so he has had success in the past to go along with his failures. All in all his resume is mixed but going forward his time with the Bills might be his legacy and he is coaching like it.

You haven't done your homework. Gailey's resume is anything but "mixed" -- unless you're talking about mixing various degrees of success. Name a stop at which he has unequivocally failed.

You haven't done your homework. Gailey's resume is anything but "mixed" -- unless you're talking about mixing various degrees of success. Name a stop at which he has unequivocally failed.

One could argue getting canned is a failure. Just sayin'... Personally I'm happy to see him be the guy for years and years to come, as it likely means good things.

Any time my favorite team hires a head coach who:

1.) Got fired from his last job, which was offensive coordinator,

2.) has no other job offers pending,

3.) had 1 previous stint as NFL head coach, where he was a bit of a national joke, and was fired after 2 seasons,

4.) has gone 12 or so years between NFL head coach gigs,

5.) never won a bowl game in 5 or so years as a college head coach,

then I'm going to need to see a winning record before I give him any credit or confidence whatsoever. Just a longstanding rule of mine.

Hope he works out, but let's see it. Words are meaningless; nearly every coach talks a great game, regardless of how bad the on-field product is. Gailey's resume/track record is very underwhelming, and a few nice drives in preseason aren't enough to counteract that. And what's unfair to Gailey is that we got so burned in 2008 that even a hot start won't win me over. I'll hop on the bandwagon when he mathematically clinches a winning record.

The one thing I find the most promising about Gailey is that when people try to criticize him, all we get is untruths, speculations and grandstanding. I was not thrilled with the hire, but he has made quite a difference so far.