Get ready from the "Autumn of Advancement"

Nanker

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will It Get The Economy 'Going'?

• Yes, it'll have an immediate positive impact on the economy
    • Yes, but it will take a year or two to show real benefits
    • Yes, desperate times call for desperate measures
    • Yes, somewhat. But it's too little
    • Just another crass politically motivated attempt to influence the fall elections
    • Phshaw! Are you kidding? It's a freckle on a fly's azz

And Obama's policies are the reason job growth is lagging :doh:

Tariffs were populist measures? :rolleyes: Maybe Smoot Hawley was, but not traditionally, and Progressives did replace them with an income tax because populists hated the tariffs which they saw as making goods more expensive to make the wealthy wealthier.

Were they effective? Well, behind a high tariff regime we had a little thing called the Industrial Revolution, not that I am supporting them today, I just posted for debate

He is not the sole reason why jobs aren't growing, I've made this case many times before, but his policies serve as an additional headwind for job growth. Try to keep up.

Also, many times tariffs are populist measures. Who is hooting and hollering about protectionist measures right now? Buy American is 100% populist driven and supported by the Unions. Talk about special interests.

And, yes you did just post this for debate and I came back with a response. Also, Smoot-Hawley wasn't the sole reason for the Great Depression but it was definitely the Straw that broke the Camel's back.

If we listened to all the Unions demands and put up the protectionist measures that they advocate then China would punish us severely.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So then the old narrative of "punitive damages applied to Germany by the Versailles treaty caused economic collapse that spurred the growth of the Nazi movement" is invalid? or would you say it's complementary?

Complimentary. The Versaillies debt caused the runaway inflation of the '20s, the economic devastation of which was ameliorated by increasing German export production later in the decade. American protectionist tarriffs dislocated the German export economy, which dislocated the economy again before Hitler came into power. Both, however, fed the general dissatisfaction with capitalism and democracy in interwar Germany that fed the growth of the NSDAP.

No. The evaperation of easy credit from the United States because of the financial crisis maybe, but not Smoot Hawley

You're a !@#$ing idiot.

Complimentary. The Versaillies debt caused the runaway inflation of the '20s, the economic devastation of which was ameliorated by increasing German export production later in the decade. American protectionist tarriffs dislocated the German export economy, which dislocated the economy again before Hitler came into power. Both, however, fed the general dissatisfaction with capitalism and democracy in interwar Germany that fed the growth of the NSDAP.

Makes sense. I'm generally anti-tariff because I think tariffs prop up companies that would normally fail in an arena of honest competition. The only thing that could persuade me to change my view would be the fact that we're competing with protectionist states in Asia and Europe.

must be why they're working so hard to get CAFTA passed & remove Teamsters' objections to NAFTA, got the South Korea trade passed.

Yup, working real hard.

Overtime.

Through the night.

You mean people who's jobs were running unions?

Well, he says

!

You make them out to be some sort of alien life force that inhabited our planet and kicked us off earth. :lol:

Or some kind of video game bad guy

All Your Base Are Belong to us!!!

China does what is in the best interest of China- if that is free trade so be it, if that is command and control so be it, if it means keeping their rare earth elements to supply their own industries so be it, if it means being foreign business friendly to learn technology and production processes and have access to robust markets so be it, when they have the technology, the production processes, and the western markets become anemic they will also do what's in their best interest- they may not outright kick those businesses out but those businesses will find an increasingly tough business climate- for example they may require foreign businesses to give Chinese workers equivalent pay and benefits to that which they give workers in their native land.

You are such a tease! I really wish you would connect the dots for me.

Good luck with that desire, chimp. Do your own research.

That would be funny. I love reading Libertarian nonesesne.

The irony of you misspelling nonsense isn't lost on anyone.

Come on, YOU said it, now spell it out.

Here's the thing "Dave": The only thing you're worth to me is an occasional clubbing. I'm not going to waste keystrokes that would take a significant amount of my time because the subject is incredibly complex and interwoven. Especially when your response will be the typical preprogrammed liberal-tard speak.

No. The evaperation of easy credit from the United States because of the financial crisis maybe, but not Smoot Hawley

Oh look, Dave did a google search and is trying to pass it off as the straight dope. Once again, Dave: Economics is a very complex subject and you trying to point to a single scapegoat so regularly lets everyone know how little you understand about it.

Of course, if you want to bid on anything as a subcontractor, you'll first need to hire 3 people to handle all the paperwork required to be a subcontractor, so I guess that'll create some jobs. Our country certainly needs more people shuffling papers and filling out forms and surveys. That really spurs economic growth.

sorta like health insurance companies, huh?

Edited by birdog1960

Oh look, Dave did a google search and is trying to pass it off as the straight dope. Once again, Dave: Economics is a very complex subject and you trying to point to a single scapegoat so regularly lets everyone know how little you understand about it.

You'd think if he did a google search he'd have managed to spell "evaporate" right.

Do my own research into your complete bs? LOL,whatever. I love how you call other people partisan, yet your dogmatic libertarian bent is so brainless you won't even attampt to back it up because you know its nonesense. Its like Rush Limbo saying the other day that for every government job you cut you create two private sector jobs of equal pay. Huh? :doh:

anyway:

But economic research suggests that tax cuts, though difficult for politicians to resist in election season, have limited ability to bolster the flagging economy because they are essentially a supply-side remedy for a problem caused by lack of demand.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office this year analyzed the short-term effects of 11 policy options and found that extending the tax cuts would be the least effective way to spur the economy and reduce unemployment. The report added that tax cuts for high earners would have the smallest “bang for the buck,” because wealthy Americans were more likely to save their money than spend it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/business/economy/11tax.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&th&emc=th

Do my own research into your complete bs? LOL,whatever.

It has nothing to do with me but you can't help but try and go that direction because anything else you type is so easily exposed for its idiocy.

I love how you call other people partisan, yet your dogmatic libertarian bent is so brainless you won't even attampt to back it up because you know its nonesense.

Let's look at all the things wrong with that statement:

1. I make fun of partisans because that's what they are. You're a terrific example of everything that's wrong with politics in this country and you're too stupid to look inwardly.

2. I'm neither "dogmatic" nor libertarian. My politics are far too complicated to fit neatly into a single party. I'm an independent. Would I vote for a libertarian over a Democrat or Republican? Absolutely. Would I prefer the government to stay out of a lot more things that they do? Certainly. That doesn't mean they don't have mandated responsibilities nor are those responsibilities without necessity.

3. There isn't a need to back "anything" up with you. You're a !@#$ing drone. No matter what the Democrats do, you'll defend it like it was gestated in your uterus. That's not my issue, tardo.

Its like Rush Limbo saying the other day that for every government job you cut you create two private sector jobs of equal pay. Huh? :doh:

Only partisan tards give a flying crap what Rush Limbaugh, Rachel Maddow, Olbermann, Hannity, etc have to say. I'm not surprised that you're easily able to regurgitate it, either. Though I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers added up because government employees enjoy far greater benefits and pay for the same work than their civilian counterparts. It's called overhead and burden.

Who said anything about the tax cuts? Tax cuts shouldn't ever be about trying to stimulate the economy. They should always be about controlling the amount of money that bureaucrats are given access to. That delicate balance has been shot all to hell and it's very likely that it'll never get back, especially when there are so many people like you who're always available to defend obvious, overt stupidity.

That being said, anything the CBO has to say should be taken as nothing more than the garbage it is. They have zero credibility and are arguably the least competent organization in a government that's rife with them.