Get ready from the "Autumn of Advancement"

Nanker

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will It Get The Economy 'Going'?

• Yes, it'll have an immediate positive impact on the economy
    • Yes, but it will take a year or two to show real benefits
    • Yes, desperate times call for desperate measures
    • Yes, somewhat. But it's too little
    • Just another crass politically motivated attempt to influence the fall elections
    • Phshaw! Are you kidding? It's a freckle on a fly's azz

Don't hold your breath waiting for the "jobs machine" of the private sector to get us out of this. In Florida alone there are almost half a million houses in foreclosure and this report today is pretty gloomy as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/business/economy/07jobs.html?th&emc=th

These are all points that I've made on numerous occassions.

One, that there are STRUCTURAL problems in the labor force, the unemployment rate for people out of work for over 27 weeks is at an all time high. There needs to be more job retraining programs....

two, much of the spending that is taking place in the corporate world is on technology and new equipment, which in turn boosts productivity while lessening the need of more employees.....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, more accounting sleight of hand that's disguised as a stimulus.

Wonder if Obama dropped a line that this is the third iteration of accelerated depreciation rules, with the other two introduced by Evil Bush.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the "jobs machine" of the private sector to get us out of this. In Florida alone there are almost half a million houses in foreclosure and this report today is pretty gloomy as well:

http://www.nytimes.c....html?th&emc=th

Instead, let's create more gov't "jobs" that will never go away and need to be funded by that same private sector that can't afford to hire more people. Brilliant!

Here come the protectionists!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/opinion/10Tonelson.html?th&emc=th

I would love to see a few more economists debate this issue.

Instead, let's create more gov't "jobs" that will never go away and need to be funded by that same private sector that can't afford to hire more people. Brilliant!

I believe something like 51% of people work for government now or are tied to the government for employment indirectly. Just sayin, that's how it is

Protectionist measures have always proven to be ineffective populist measures that picks winners and losers and there are many more losers than winners. You wanna guess who the winners would be?

Also, have any of you yahoo's studied what the effects of the 1930 U.S. Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act were?

I have.

Basically it was a populist driven legislation that entailed retaliatory tariffs in other countries, which exacerbated the collapse in global trade.

Here come the protectionists!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/10/opinion/10Tonelson.html?th&emc=th

I would love to see a few more economists debate this issue.

I believe something like 51% of people work for government now or are tied to the government for employment indirectly. Just sayin, that's how it is

Now if we can only get that number to 100% everything will be juuuuuuust fine. <_<

I think what is really needed are more press conferences to really really really impress on the public that this administration understands how businesses work.

Talk about being long-winded....It's as if he's pleading to the public his case. Rather embarrassing....

From the Times' linky-link:

President BO's Pledge to double exports in five years at least shows the White House is aware of the problem. But without greater reductions in imports, even a doubling of exports would fail to generate substantial net growth or job increases.

President Obama
said, "Boosting America's exports strengthens our economic growth and supports millions of good, high-paying American jobs. That's why I set a goal during my State of the Union address to double our exports over the next five years. Since then, my Administration has worked to improve advocacy for our exporters, remove trade barriers, and enforce trade rules in an effort to ensure that the benefits of global trade are broadly shared. And to build on the progress we've made so far, I've appointed these accomplished men and women to serve in these important roles. I am confident that their depth of experience in the private sector will be valuable as we continue working to open new markets for American goods, boost our exports and level the playing field for American workers."

Yes, if we can just get the rest of the world to buy the stuff we no longer make, we'll be much better off.

Perhaps he's got in mind flooding Canada with medical marijuana grown in the USA.

... Since then, my Administration has worked to improve advocacy for our exporters, remove trade barriers, and enforce trade rules in an effort to ensure that the benefits of global trade are broadly shared.

must be why they're working so hard to get CAFTA passed & remove Teamsters' objections to NAFTA, got the South Korea trade passed.

Yup, working real hard.

Overtime.

Through the night.

And to build on the progress we've made so far, I've appointed these accomplished men and women to serve in these important roles. I am confident that their depth of experience in the private sector will be valuable as we continue working to open new markets for American goods, boost our exports and level the playing field for American workers."

You mean people who's jobs were running unions?

Short version: the tarrifs caused significant dislocation in the German economy which led to the Nazi's coming to power.

So then the old narrative of "punitive damages applied to Germany by the Versailles treaty caused economic collapse that spurred the growth of the Nazi movement" is invalid? or would you say it's complementary?

So then the old narrative of "punitive damages applied to Germany by the Versailles treaty caused economic collapse that spurred the growth of the Nazi movement" is invalid? or would you say it's complementary?

Just another brick in the wall.

Rarely does one act contribute to a revolution. Almost always it's a culmination of a series events that have been building up, until something relatively insignificant (like the assasination of a drunken duke) sets off the fuse, and the folklore associates that one act with the buildup and blow up.

Kind of like looking for a single cause of the financial meltdown.

Just another brick in the wall.

Rarely does one act contribute to a revolution. Almost always it's a culmination of a series events that have been building up, until something relatively insignificant (like the assasination of a drunken duke) sets off the fuse, and the folklore associates that one act with the buildup and blow up.

Kind of like looking for a single cause of the financial meltdown.

You must have not of gotten the memo, "The bush tax cuts and his policies are the reason for the great recession"

Now try to connect the dots on why there's a huge deficit and recession.

You are such a tease! I really wish you would connect the dots for me. That would be funny. I love reading Libertarian nonesesne. Come on, YOU said it, now spell it out.

Short version: the tarrifs caused significant dislocation in the German economy which led to the Nazi's coming to power.

No. The evaperation of easy credit from the United States because of the financial crisis maybe, but not Smoot Hawley

You must have not of gotten the memo, "The bush tax cuts and his policies are the reason for the great recession"

Didn't get the memo? I'm trying to climb out of 2,500 page legislation that's nothing but restatement of that memo on each page.

Whose old narrative is that? Versailles never cause economic collaspe, what it did cause was a nationalist backlash against the Center/Left coalition running Germany under Weimar Constitution. Even the hyper inflation was not caused by Versaille directly,it was a result of actions taken by the German government because of the occupation of the Rheinland. But, Germany recovered fromthe hyper inflation years before the Depression swept in.

And Obama's policies are the reason job growth is lagging :doh:

Protectionist measures have always proven to be ineffective populist measures that picks winners and losers and there are many more losers than winners. You wanna guess who the winners would be?

Also, have any of you yahoo's studied what the effects of the 1930 U.S. Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act were?

I have.

Basically it was a populist driven legislation that entailed retaliatory tariffs in other countries, which exacerbated the collapse in global trade.

Tariffs were populist measures? :rolleyes: Maybe Smoot Hawley was, but not traditionally, and Progressives did replace them with an income tax because populists hated the tariffs which they saw as making goods more expensive to make the wealthy wealthier.

Were they effective? Well, behind a high tariff regime we had a little thing called the Industrial Revolution, not that I am supporting them today, I just posted for debate