Levi Brown not on PS?

bills_red

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Put things in perspective people. Think back 3 years. Trent Edwards, who so many of you are bashing right now, dazzled us all in the pre-season, won the back-up job and came on in place of an injured Losman in game two of the season against New England - in Foxboro - and drove the team to a touchdown on his first possession in his second professional football game. He took over the starters role from there. Do you see Levi Brown capable of doing that right now? No friggin way! He is no where near that level. Edwards has what it takes to be a star in this league, Fitz is a proven intelligent journeyman while Brohm has potential. Brown was a good gamble with a 7th pick. It didn't work out. Move on. He seems like a great kid. Best of luck to him. The Bills don't have the luxury to waste a practice squad spot on him.

Put things in perspective people. Think back 3 years. Trent Edwards, who so many of you are bashing right now, dazzled us all in the pre-season, won the back-up job and came on in place of an injured Losman in game two of the season against New England - in Foxboro - and drove the team to a touchdown on his first possession in his second professional football game. He took over the starters role from there. Do you see Levi Brown capable of doing that right now? No friggin way! He is no where near that level.

Not to be argumentative, but I actually don't know that - and neither does anyone - since we've never seen Levi Brown play with the starting O-line, backfield, and receivers corp. If we had, if he was thrust into a starting role, he might look even better than Trent - but, again, no one really knows.

Edwards has what it takes to be a star in this league

:lol:

Have another :beer:

Brown was a good gamble with a 7th pick. It didn't work out. Move on. He seems like a great kid. Best of luck to him. The Bills don't have the luxury to waste a practice squad spot on him.

Actually, they still have 4 spots left to waste on him - maybe 5 if the Joique Bell-to-Tampa rumors are true. B-)

Edited by The Senator

Not to be argumentative, but I actually don't know that - and neither does anyone - since we've never seen Levi Brown play with the starting O-line, backfield, and receivers corp. If we had, if he was thrust into a starting role, he might look even better than Trent - but, again, no one really knows.

Trent Edwards looked really good with the back-ups when he was a rookie. Levi Brown has not, though Levi has shown talent.

you're very correct. if he doesn't make a squad (say arizona or something) he's got a shot to end up on our PS. just gotta let it work itself out. unless they're gunning for troy smith as a 4th qb...

Except his tweet said "not even a practice squad invite", which implies to me that he hasn't gotten one from the Bills or any other team. I would assume that when he was released his agent started contacting other teams to see if they were interested. Obviously nobody is going to sign him to their final 53. There are better QBs with actual NFL experience that were released on Saturday. His only chance is to land on somebody's practice squad, and he's probably going to have a tough time doing that. I'm guessing he's more "pissed" at the reality of his situation than anything else. Now he'll probably have to "scramble" (pardon the pun) just to have any sort of football career. If he can land a spot on a UFL roster and make a positive impression, then he has a (better) chance to get invited to an NFL camp next year.

Probably his best chance is a scenario where the Bills run out of "need" positions on their practice squad, and wind up having a "leftover" spot for him.

My God, you're right. Where O' where will the Bills find their future 3rd QB?

They already have two 3rd string type QB's on the roster.

Holy cow, you got sources 'deep within' OBD? :rolleyes:

As long as you're enlightening us, which other teams watched the tape of Thursday's game, and whom did you speak with on those teams that were surprised Brown got drafted??? :unsure:

+1

I have to say that I am a bit surprised though. It sounded like Gailey wanted to work with Brown as a project.

However, logic sets in and I can see the reason being that they Bills have three QB's, and Brohm will probably get a lot of work in that "scout" QB position. There's not enough work to go around for four QB's.

When asked about what players would be on the practice squad, and Brown in particular, Gailey was very noncommittal. He mentioned something about having players at the right mix of positions to be able to run the practices. Maybe he thinks that if you add a QB to the practice squad, there "won't be enough balls to go around".

We have a Yahtzee.

As someone posted earlier in the week, the Bills only have enough practice reps for 3 quarterbacks based on Gailey's comments that the practice squad has to complement the 53 man roster in terms of stocking positions (I'm paraphrasing).

Also Kelly the Dog makes a great point about Brohm now being our developmental quarterback.

Why the heck not? Did he show nothing during the camps and preseason? Thought this was the guy they'd try and make a good back-up to a kid they'd draft next year.

The last I knew...which was several hours ago..and things may have changed...but I think we filled up 4 of 8 practice squad spots. I don't know if they used anymore up..so I am hopeful that they will place Levi Brown on the practice squad, unless they are able to pickup another QB that may be better. Was it Troy Smith or something like that released from Baltimore? Maybe their looking at him or Lefeveor someone before deciding if they want to retain Brown.

As long as they don't bring Lossman back, who was released by Seattle...lol...(but, you never know with this organization..??)

The people who have expressed shock that Chan Gailey would compliment Levi Brown and then cut him kind of confuse me. Of course he is going to compliment him, regardless. There are two reasons why he'd compliment almost all of the players that go through his camp, always.

Firstly, if some sort of catastrophe ever struck and two or three of our QBs went down, and Brown was a free agent, there would be a guy who would know at least the basics of the offense who could come into town. You want to keep him on good terms with the organization.

Secondly, and more prominently, because it is simply the professional thing of Gailey to do. Praising Brown gives him a good send off and positive feedback that may land him with another team. It's like having a good work reference on a resume. Not only does this create good will between the organization and the player (usually), but it keeps other players around the league happy because they know that the Bills organization is not a backstabbing environment. Players like to be looked upon highly, regardless of who they are.

Now if Levi Brown actually said he was pissed on his Twitter, that's his bad. He was the worst quarterback in camp, and it wasn't particularly close. The Bills have so little invested in Brian Brohm that it is not like he had to totally outplay Levi Brown on every play to earn a roster spot. It's not like he was going to be so much more cost prohibitive than Brown.

I think this is really what happened: Going into camp, Ryan Fitzpatrick was very disgruntled, and it seemed like he was not favored toward making the team at all. His camp starting slow. But he always seems to have average games. I think over the course of the camp, for whatever reason, the coaching staff decided that they weren't comfortable with Brohm as the #2, and Fitzpatrick solidified his role as the #2. Brohm outplayed Brown and has NFL game under his belt with this team.

Finally, the franchise determines that while Brown has some valuable tools in his QB toolset, he does not have the versatility at this stage in his career to be valuable on the practice squad. Perhaps they determined that he wasn't going to be able to run a variety of different offenses for them (maybe he struggled to learn the Bills new offense, we can only speculate).

I think too many people here fall victim to the potential of unfamiliarity/newness. Brohm is apparently some great hope almost surely because we've seen little of him. Brown even more so. And believe me, I sat in my living room during the draft and just got so frustrated with not getting a quarterback in the earlier rounds. I really, really wanted to think Brown was going to be a contributor. But I haven't seen anything all summer to indicate anything other than he has a big arm. Well lots of people can throw a football real far. That doesn't make you an NFL-ready QB.

Guest dog14787

Levi Brown has nobody to blame, but himself,

Chan Gailey in my opinion is the type of fella that holds players accountable for their actions on and off the field.

Myself personally, when Brown threw the INT against the Detriot Lions that basically cost the Bills the football game, Levi Brown's fate was sealed...

Edited by dog14787

I bet they add Troy Smith after the first week and part ways with Brohm This way Smith's contract is not guaranteed. Maybe they take a flyer on Lefavour(sp?)or another for the PS.

I bet Troy Smith is playing in the UFL this coming season. The guy seriously blows.

Edited by Doc

WOW. Levi Brown on Twitter:

LeviBrown10 NEVER woulda guessed id be in this position right now...not even a practice squad invite. i've now officially gone from surprised to pissed!

Y'know, I don't see this on there.

See his tweet about being cut, "got cut. sucks. but it hasnt ever been an easy road for me. just means i gotta prove people wrong...AGAIN"

Nothing about being pissed, though

B-) One (or both) of of you guys work for ESPN? Appreciate the effort, but who's got it right? People are hammering Levi's character. Does he deserve the hit?

Maybe it's that kind of pompous attitude as well as no evidence of actual NFL QB skills that has him so "pissed".

Or, maybe he's just a frustrated college kid who can't find a job.

I have to say that I am a bit surprised though. It sounded like Gailey wanted to work with Brown as a project.

However, logic sets in and I can see the reason being that they Bills have three QB's, and Brohm will probably get a lot of work in that "scout" QB position. There's not enough work to go around for four QB's.

+1, CG (and his staff) must be working 24 hours a day to try and improve this team. Letting Brohm fill the role of "3rd string" and "PS QB" not only increases BB's touches (and hopefully growth), but also saves a roster spot (or PS, depending on how you look at it). Never run an NFL practice, but I think your clipboard carrier would be eager to get additional chances.

Edited by Sabre Bill

Holy cow, you got sources 'deep within' OBD? :rolleyes:

As long as you're enlightening us, which other teams watched the tape of Thursday's game, and whom did you speak with on those teams that were surprised Brown got drafted??? :unsure:

How's Graham Harrell doing? Cut more times than Nicole & Ron.

The people who have expressed shock that Chan Gailey would compliment Levi Brown and then cut him kind of confuse me. Of course he is going to compliment him, regardless. There are two reasons why he'd compliment almost all of the players that go through his camp, always.

Firstly, if some sort of catastrophe ever struck and two or three of our QBs went down, and Brown was a free agent, there would be a guy who would know at least the basics of the offense who could come into town. You want to keep him on good terms with the organization.

Secondly, and more prominently, because it is simply the professional thing of Gailey to do. Praising Brown gives him a good send off and positive feedback that may land him with another team. It's like having a good work reference on a resume. Not only does this create good will between the organization and the player (usually), but it keeps other players around the league happy because they know that the Bills organization is not a backstabbing environment. Players like to be looked upon highly, regardless of who they are.

Now if Levi Brown actually said he was pissed on his Twitter, that's his bad. He was the worst quarterback in camp, and it wasn't particularly close. The Bills have so little invested in Brian Brohm that it is not like he had to totally outplay Levi Brown on every play to earn a roster spot. It's not like he was going to be so much more cost prohibitive than Brown.

I think this is really what happened: Going into camp, Ryan Fitzpatrick was very disgruntled, and it seemed like he was not favored toward making the team at all. His camp starting slow. But he always seems to have average games. I think over the course of the camp, for whatever reason, the coaching staff decided that they weren't comfortable with Brohm as the #2, and Fitzpatrick solidified his role as the #2. Brohm outplayed Brown and has NFL game under his belt with this team.

Finally, the franchise determines that while Brown has some valuable tools in his QB toolset, he does not have the versatility at this stage in his career to be valuable on the practice squad. Perhaps they determined that he wasn't going to be able to run a variety of different offenses for them (maybe he struggled to learn the Bills new offense, we can only speculate).

I think too many people here fall victim to the potential of unfamiliarity/newness. Brohm is apparently some great hope almost surely because we've seen little of him. Brown even more so. And believe me, I sat in my living room during the draft and just got so frustrated with not getting a quarterback in the earlier rounds. I really, really wanted to think Brown was going to be a contributor. But I haven't seen anything all summer to indicate anything other than he has a big arm. Well lots of people can throw a football real far. That doesn't make you an NFL-ready QB.

Nice points. Thanks for taking the time to post. Don't mistake no one responding with no one reading your post. (If no one responds, it likely means no one significantly disagrees.)

Why the heck not? Did he show nothing during the camps and preseason? Thought this was the guy they'd try and make a good back-up to a kid they'd draft next year.

Like Gailey said you only have 8 slots on the practice squad so normally you carry 2 active QB's on your regular roster and 1 PS or 3 on the regular roster. The 3rd QB runs the Scout team. Few teams carry 4 QB's technically the 4th guy does not have anything to do. Levi Brown's agent may not want him with a team if he can't lean by being the scout team QB. It's possible that Brown want's to see if he has options or Gailey/Nix do not want 4 QB's. My guess is that some team will eventually sign Brown to a PS It may still even be the Bills.

How's Graham Harrell doing? Cut more times than Nicole & Ron.

On GB's practice squad, which most say was their plan all along if he cleared waivers. (Just like last season, they'll keep 2 active QBs and one on their PS - that's how we were able to get our future starter, Brian Brohm.) Too bad we missed yet another chance to sign this future star - he is better by far than any QB on our roster, including Brohm. B-)

Now about those folks at OBD (and around the league) that you spoke to after the Bills-Lions game, care to name names?