Levi Brown not on PS?

bills_red

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo many posters here, were under the delusion that the entire league was waiting on hand and foot if/when Levi Brown got cut. "No they won't cut him!" "He is our QB of the future and if he's cut, he'll immediately be signed by someone else!" "They won't risk putting Brown on waivers, he's too valuable." "Bills can't stash him on the practice squad.. The entire league is watching the waiver wire for his name." And so forth, and so on.. I told the Brown fanatics, it was very likely no other team had a hard-on for Levi. Turns out, he hasn't even been named to a PS yet..

Edited by JayBaller10

I posted in another thread as well, but I wonder if the Bills might be looking for a more experienced QB for the PS so that he can run the scout team

Practice Squad Eligibility

# According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players.

Kind of tough to look for a more experience QB for your practice squad.

I posted in another thread as well, but I wonder if the Bills might be looking for a more experienced QB for the PS so that he can run the scout team

That would be a little difficult since PS players tend not to be very experienced. If they are they aren't eligible.

PTR

Practice Squad Eligibility

# According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players.

Kind of tough to look for a more experience QB for your practice squad.

Brian Brohm, Brett Ratliff and Tyler Palko all still have PS eligibility. That is the type of guy I think they are looking

I had wondered about Levi's status and why he was considered to be so valuable. He was drafted in the seventh round, if he had a lot of upside value, someone would have jumped on him much earlier in the process. Outside of Tom Brady, how many quarterbacks drafted in the sixth round or later have gone on to demonstrate great value at the quarterback slot. The Bills took a flyer on guy with a strong arm and it seems it didn't work out.

Brian Brohm, Brett Ratliff and Tyler Palko all still have PS eligibility. That is the type of guy I think they are looking

I liked Levi Brown okay, but I would love to see the Bills sign Tyler Palko, especially if he has some PS eligibility left. He has bumped around the leauge a bit, but whenever I have seen him play, albeit in pre-seasons, he has always impressed me. If he doesn't transform into a solid starter in the NFL, I think he has solid back-up material written all over him.

Again, I am not talking about Tom Brady, just a guy who was on a practice squad last year or on a roster for a few games.

Well you saw the rules. Pretty hard to find a QB with game experience that's still eligible.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I liked Levi Brown okay, but I would love to see the Bills sign Tyler Palko, especially if he has some PS eligibility left. He has bumped around the leauge a bit, but whenever I have seen him play, albeit in pre-seasons, he has always impressed me. If he doesn't transform into a solid starter in the NFL, I think he has solid back-up material written all over him.

I saw earlier today that he is on a PS already. That's what made me think of him.

When asked about what players would be on the practice squad, and Brown in particular, Gailey was very noncommittal. He mentioned something about having players at the right mix of positions to be able to run the practices. Maybe he thinks that if you add a QB to the practice squad, there "won't be enough balls to go around".

While I can understand wanting a QB capable of running the opponents offense for practice purposes, seems like it is equally important to have a QB who understands your own system should disaster strike. Is Brown not capable of taking on the role? Gailey praised Brown for understanding the game. Seems like just the kind of guy you'd want on the PS in that case. Obviously, Gailey sees something he doesn't like, but seems to me he'd be a great PS candidate.

While I can understand wanting a QB capable of running the opponents offense for practice purposes, seems like it is equally important to have a QB who understands your own system should disaster strike. Is Brown not capable of taking on the role? Gailey praised Brown for understanding the game. Seems like just the kind of guy you'd want on the PS in that case. Obviously, Gailey sees something he doesn't like, but seems to me he'd be a great PS candidate.

I said it elsewhere but I think they are waiting to see who else they may trade for, claim or sign to the active roster at other positions. If there is a spot left, I would imagine they would like to have Levi there. But, for example, they obvious like Dominique Harris. But now that they had to cut him in order to keep Urbik, Harris now becomes a prime candidate for one of the eight spots. We are thin at a lot of positions, so we obviously need 3-4 of the 8 spots for OL, LB and WR.

And finally, for all intents and purposes, Brian Brohm is now our developmental quarterback. Trent is the starter (for now), Fitz is the veteran back-up. And Brohm is the young guy with the potential to develop into a starter one day but needs the time.

I said it elsewhere but I think they are waiting to see who else they may trade for, claim or sign to the active roster at other positions. If there is a spot left, I would imagine they would like to have Levi there. But, for example, they obvious like Dominique Harris. But now that they had to cut him in order to keep Urbik, Harris now becomes a prime candidate for one of the eight spots. We are thin at a lot of positions, so we obviously need 3-4 of the 8 spots for OL, LB and WR.

And finally, for all intents and purposes, Brian Brohm is now our developmental quarterback. Trent is the starter (for now), Fitz is the veteran back-up. And Brohm is the young guy with the potential to develop into a starter one day but needs the time.

True - good point.